Tuesday, June 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7082, 2015-06-02

CONTESTANTS
Tara Whittle, a strategy consultant from Troy, New York
Jacob Johnson, an actor from Murray, Utah
Dan Feitel, an attorney originally from Gillette, New Jersey (whose 5-day cash winnings total $99,198)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and you, too, ladies and gentlemen. He's young and so far, he's unstoppable, averaging over $25,000 for each of his 5 wins. But today, look at the determination on the face of Tara and Jacob. They're ready for him. Or are they? We'll find out. Let's go to work. Good luck to all three of you. Now the categories for this first round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHAKESPEARE IN ART (5/5)
AREA CODE REPRESENTIN' (5/5)
8-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
HALL OF RECORDS (5/5)
FIX THE FAMOUS QUOTATION (5/5)
MEANWHILE BACK AT THE RANCH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 15 R, 0 W
Jacob: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tara: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $5,400
Jacob: $1,000
Tara: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Every time the winter Olympics come around, I get all enthused about curling. And I start thinking, "Gosh, I would love to open a curling rink in Southern California." Because I think it's a great sport.

Tara: It is.

Alex: Tara Whittle, you think it's a great sport also.

Tara: I do, too. I--that's exactly how I got into it is watching the Olympics and I thought, you know, "Let me check this out." And went to the Internet and saw there was a club. And got right into it and I'm hooked and, you know, if you open up a curling rink, I'll be there.

Alex: Now you know, of course, that not only is the sport good, but the camaraderie and the socializing--

Tara: Absolutely.

Alex: --associated with curling is fun also.

Tara: Absolutely. We say that it's a sheet of ice with a bar, but sometimes it's a bar with a sheet of ice.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Jacob Johnson is an actor from Murray, Utah, who has appeared in over 450 performances of a play that none of us knows anything about.

Jacob: Well, you don't really know--need to know anything about it if you know anything about Salt Lake City. You know it's easy to make fun of the politics. So that's what we do.

[Laughter]

Alex: And a lot of music.

Jacob: And a lot of music, and a lot of--

Alex: Okay, well, good for you. Nice having you here.

Alex: Dan Feitel is an attorney. He is our champion. When you were younger, your parents used to get you engaged in something called extemporaneous speaking after dinner?

Dan: Sure, it was a whole family thing. I have two younger sisters and, uh, after dinner a lot of the time we would play a game where you would be given a topic at random and you'd have to fashion a three-sentence kind of thesis and, uh, speech about whatever the topic was. Which could be, you know, Britney Spears or the Roman Empire. And you were, you know, graded on, uh, the elocution and delivery and content.

Alex: I got news for you, that's great training for somebody who's gonna wind up as a contestant on Jeopardy!

Dan: It was.

Alex: You are not a 5-time champion by accident.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jacob found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Dan had $7,600, Jacob had $2,800, and Tara was at $1,600. Jacob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE RANCH $1000: Gauchos are the equivalent of cowboys on these vast grassy plains of South America
(Alex: And you move up, with a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
8-LETTER WORDS $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) I'm literally walking on eggshells; the reason they're not breaking is the curve of the shell distributes this 8-letter term evenly
(Alex: Distributes [*] evenly. And you have to keep in mind that Kelly weighs 56 pounds.)

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE RANCH $600: Stackable beds typified this dormitory for ranch hands of the Old West
(Tara: What are bunk beds?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $8,200
Jacob: $6,400
Tara: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PHILOSOPHY (4/5)
TV SHOWS BY EPISODES (3/5)
FACTS & FIGURES (5/5)
"L"EMENTARY (5/5)
ZIGGURATS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 12 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jacob: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tara: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Dan had $15,000, Jacob had $9,200, and Tara was at $5,800. Dan wagered $4,000.

ZIGGURATS $1600: In the 500s B.C. this king who conquered Jerusalem restored the main ziggurat of Babylon
(Dan: Who is Ramses?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jacob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Dan had $13,000, Jacob had $10,400, and Tara was at $6,200. Jacob wagered $2,500.

HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH $1200: In 2014 the CDC reported 4 total confirmations of this disease in the U.S.; the first was on September 30th

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHILOSOPHY $1600: Empedocles said that these were the 2 basic emotions or forces

TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $1600: "The Pavlovich Brothers (No. 119-122)" & "The Cyprus Agency (No. 64)"
(Jacob: What is Archer?)
(Alex: Yes. No, sorry.)

TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $2000: "Red John's Friends"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $16,600
Jacob: $14,100
Tara: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INFAMOUS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Dan: Wager $11,601 to cover Jacob.
Jacob: You have to wager $3,101 to cover Tara's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,499, so as to force Tara to be right to have a chance at winning.
Tara: Think about risking $3,600 or less, thereby beating Dan on the Triple Stumper (should Dan wager to cover Jacob's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Born in Illinois of Huguenot ancestry, he was executed in June 1882, a year after his heinous act

FINAL SCORES
Tara: $8,600 - $6,300 = $2,300 (Who is ?) (2nd place)
Jacob: $14,100 + $3,101 = $17,201 (Who is Charles Guiteau?) (New champion: $17,201)
Dan: $16,600 - $16,599 = $1 (Who is?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [To Jacob] And [*] was the man who assassinated President Garfield in 1881.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $20,600, 27 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jacob: $11,000, 16 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Tara: $8,600, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 27/59 = .458
Jacob: 17/60 = .283
Tara: 12/58 = .207
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FIX THE FAMOUS QUOTATION $200: "In the beginning God created the 7-Eleven and the earth"
(Alex: Genesis.)

FIX THE FAMOUS QUOTATION $600: "Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your brains"
(Jacob: What is minds?)
(Alex: Karl Marx.)

SHAKESPEARE IN ART $200: In Sir John Everett Millais' painting, this heroine is depicted in her final moments

FIX THE FAMOUS QUOTATION $800: "Luck is the barbecue of design"
(Alex: Branch Rickey.)

FIX THE FAMOUS QUOTATION $1000: "We can not dedicate-- we can not excavate-- we can not hallow-- this ground"
(Alex: Gettysburg Address.)

SHAKESPEARE IN ART $400: The painting seen here by Henry Fuseli depicts the three witches from this play

SHAKESPEARE IN ART $600: The future Lady Hamilton posed as Miranda from this play for a series of studies by George Romney

SHAKESPEARE IN ART $800: This comic character pictured in a lithograph appears in several Shakespeare plays

SHAKESPEARE IN ART $1000: In a painting by James Barry, King Lear is weeping over the body of this daughter

PHILOSOPHY $800: In ethics this Chinese thinker stressed 2 virtues: li, rules of proper conduct, & ren, benevolent love
(Jacob: Who is Lao-Tzu?)

ZIGGURATS $2000: Around 550 B.C., King Nabonidus of Babylon remodeled the ziggurat of this city with a 2-letter name

HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH $400: This condition has doubled in the last 30 years in U.S. kids & is linked to increased risk for diabetes
[Jacob's answer of autism was originally ruled incorrect, but the ruling was reversed after clue 20.]

TV SHOWS BY EPISODES $800: "The Rains of Castamere"
(Tara: What is...oh.)
(Alex: But before you make the next selection, we have good news for you, Jacob. Our judges, I have just been informed, have decided that your response of autism a little while ago is acceptable. So you're picking up $800.)

FACTS & FIGURES $2000: 20 million illnesses a year, the most of any foodborne pathogen, are caused by this "-virus" & many are on cruise ships
(Dan: What is E. coli?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Pampas
pressure
a bunkhouse
Nebuchadnezzar
Ebola
love and hate
The Blacklist
The Mentalist
Charles Guiteau
the heavens
chains
Ophelia
residue
consecrate
Macbeth
The Tempest
Falstaff
Cordelia
Confucius
Ur
obesity (or autism)
Game of Thrones
norovirus
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Infamous
Born in Illinois of Huguenot ancestry, he was executed in June 1882, a year after his heinous act.

Spoiler
Who is Charles Guiteau? Tara and Dan both had no guess.

Dan Feitel: $16,600-$16,599=$1
Jacob Johnson: $14,100+$3,101=$17,201...now a 1-day champion with $17,201
Tara Whittle: $8,600-$6,300=$2,300
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Congrats to Dan for winning more money than lots of people here wanted him to.

I don't really dig Jacob. Also, how the hell was autism reversed?
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

I cannot get past that autism ruling? What. the. hell.
brick

Post by brick »

I was just coming to say the same. That made zero sense.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I need to see the wording of that diabetes clue. That was either a ridiculous reversal, or a poorly written clue.

Instget FJ. Heinous crime, severe enough for someone to be executed, commited in 1881, by someone of French descent. And it was a single get. Wow.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

grindcore wrote:Also, how the hell was autism reversed?
Not quite sure. I'd ahve to see the clue, but I thought that it was stating "this condition" caused a possible increase in diabetes. A quick Google search seems to say the opposite about autism (pregnant women with diabetes can possibly relate to an increased chance in having an autistic child). Obviously, I have no clue as to the validity of any of it.

FJ not quite an instaget, but pretty close.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Knew what the act was, but honestly had no idea on the name.

Didn't understand the autism ruling either.
brick

Post by brick »

Coryat $27200. Ran "Hall" and something else in the first round. Liked the ziggurat category. Totally tanked FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OK, here's the clue:

This condition has increased in the last 30 years in US kids and is linked to increased risk for diabetes.

That seems ... a stretch to accept autism.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Dan had a really good run; congratulations to him. I had 43 correct responses including two triple stumpers: "pressure" and "love and hate." I also got the missed DD of Nebuchadnezzar. I knew that the FJ was the name of the assassin of President Garfield, but I couldn't think of his name.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

And IIRC autism was guessed before the DD in that category was picked, and ruled correct after the DD. THey usually mention a reversed ruling before the DD.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Yes, I am calling foul on the autism reversal. Sometimes, the Jeopardy! Judges make me scratch my head at some of their rulings.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I lived in Charles Guiteau's birthplace (Freeport, IL) for a year; oddly enough, they don't like to advertise that fact. Then again, it's also Calista Flockhart's birthplace, and they didn't advertise that either, despite Ally McBeal being at the height of its popularity when I lived there.

Needless to say, I knew the correct response to FJ right away.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Google autism and diabetes and you will see that there are some studies suggesting linkage. The reversal seems valid; the clue was just written very poorly.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I thought it was cool that Jacob was in a play making fun of Utah politics, although that's probably only funny because I used to live there and I know how crazy it gets, and also because I'm an ex-Mormon. (And because I like musicals.)

There should be an option on the poll for "I knew who the clue was referring to, but I didn't know the person's name." Because that's where I was. I was under the impression that it was a super weird name - I think I may have been confusing him with McKinley's killer, but I still wouldn't have pulled Guiteau.

I did quite well on the DJ! boards today. Half the medicine category, I got because of the commercials they show during Jeopardy! ("If you have mesothelioma because of exposure to asbestos, you may be entitled to compensation...")
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Along with several others, I knew who the clue was referring to but couldn't recall Guiteau.

Dan lived by the sword, and was holding his sword when he died, but at least he didn't die by the sword.
goforthetie wrote:Google autism and diabetes and you will see that there are some studies suggesting linkage. The reversal seems valid; the clue was just written very poorly.
Can you post a link to where you saw that? I'm seeing pages and pages of google results suggesting that gestational diabetes leads to an increased risk for autism, but nowhere am I seeing that autism would lead to "increased risk for diabetes" as the clue states.
brick

Post by brick »

goforthetie wrote:Google autism and diabetes and you will see that there are some studies suggesting linkage. The reversal seems valid; the clue was just written very poorly.
Everything I have found basically says, "Is there a link?" "No." Are you finding different?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: pressure, bunkhouse.

NHO Ophelia, WAGged Juliet.

All but "optimist" in 8 Letter Words, and all but "pampa" in Meanwhile Back at the Ranch.

I did, however, run Area Codes. That area code category was much easier than the last one in my opinion. I still have no idea how they expected anyone to know that New York = 212 without any sort of hint. (Also, I still don't recognize any of the names in that "And What Do You Do?" category.)

All but "libation" (I thought that only meant drinking booze) in "L"ementary and "norovirus" in Facts & Figures.

WLT "pyramid" on Ziggurats for $400?

Precalled "The One With" = Friends in TV Shows by Episodes. Seems to come up all the time.

Ran Hazardous to Your Health.

Overturn on autism? Didn't expect that, and it was odd that they corrected it when they did. Used to be they'd only overturn after DD's or the end of the round, but I'm seeing a lot more mid-flight corrections of late.

No guess on FJ! The TOMs meant nothing to me. NHO Charles Guiteau.