Took the WWTBAM test this morning

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Took the WWTBAM test this morning

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

jeff6286 wrote:I love all the people offering to help out despite not being good at the categories that Leszek identified at weaknesses.

Clearly the only move here is to fly in Rex Kramer and make him the Plus One, so that he can assist in adding someone to his exclusive club.
The Mile High?
Sprinkles are for winners.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

jeff6286 wrote:I love all the people offering to help out despite not being good at the categories that Leszek identified at weaknesses.

Clearly the only move here is to fly in Rex Kramer and make him the Plus One, so that he can assist in adding someone to his exclusive club.
Leszek mentioned a pop music weakness back on Usenet alt.tv.game-shows when Regis WWTBAM was new
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I think Wayne is spot-on with regard to help on current pop culture questions. Those have always been the best opportunity to use the audience. Particularly with current pop music, the hive is very likely to know the anwer, but they are not of much use in answering the higher-value, more academic questions. It seems a misallocation of resources to use a friend/plus-one for a current pop culture weakness.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:

Leszek mentioned a pop music weakness back on Usenet alt.tv.game-shows when Regis WWTBAM was new
Thank goodness you were there to observe that, so that he wouldn't have to post yesterday IN THIS VERY THREAD that he could use help in pop culture.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:

Thank goodness you were there to observe that, so that he wouldn't have to post yesterday IN THIS VERY THREAD that he could use help in pop culture.
Hey, what's the point of remembering stuff that no one asked for pertaining to facts that won't come in handy in any conceivable way if you can't shoehorn it in at the slightest provocation? I mean, if you can't do that, then you might as well learn more useful trivia or, *gasp* contribute usefully to society!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote: Hey, what's the point of remembering stuff that no one asked for pertaining to facts that won't come in handy in any conceivable way if you can't shoehorn it in at the slightest provocation? I mean, if you can't do that, then you might as well learn more useful trivia or, *gasp* contribute usefully to society!

That's why people remember 25, 30, 35 year old game show moments :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Hey, what's the point of remembering stuff that no one asked for pertaining to facts that won't come in handy in any conceivable way if you can't shoehorn it in at the slightest provocation? I mean, if you can't do that, then you might as well learn more useful trivia or, *gasp* contribute usefully to society!

That's why people remember 25, 30, 35 year old game show moments :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCy8MpT45gk
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

There would be a certain appeal to being able to say, "The only person besides Rex Kramer to pull this off needed Rex Kramer's help to do it." So count me in -- I'd do everything I could to bolster your success.

[But no -- that's just what he'll be expecting me to do!]

Rex
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Rex Kramer wrote:

There would be a certain appeal to being able to say, "The only person besides Rex Kramer to pull this off needed Rex Kramer's help to do it." So count me in -- I'd do everything I could to bolster your success.

Rex
:lol:
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
I was always hoping that Super Millionaire would come back for one more go after Ken Jennings' run just for this reason. If somebody won $5 or $10 million on a night where KJ was one of the Three Wise Men, they'd have beaten his record for winningest contestant with his assistance.
NegativeKelvin
Spawn of Jeopardy!

Post by NegativeKelvin »

leszekp wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex

A Leszek/Kramer tag team takes on WWTBAM on July 22nd? This IS exciting.

Even better, I'm taping an episode on July 21st!!! Maybe I'll bump into y'all in Stamford. :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

NegativeKelvin wrote:
leszekp wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex

A Leszek/Kramer tag team takes on WWTBAM on July 22nd? This IS exciting.

Even better, I'm taping an episode on July 21st!!! Maybe I'll bump into y'all in Stamford. :)
Do you need a plus one? If leszek chooses someone else, I'm glad to help. I get over 50% of level two questions correct from the couch.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

NegativeKelvin wrote:A Leszek/Kramer tag team takes on WWTBAM on July 22nd? This IS exciting.

Congratulations!
NegativeKelvin
Spawn of Jeopardy!

Post by NegativeKelvin »

triviawayne wrote:
NegativeKelvin wrote: A Leszek/Kramer tag team takes on WWTBAM on July 22nd? This IS exciting.

Do you need a plus one? If leszek chooses someone else, I'm glad to help. I get over 50% of level two questions correct from the couch.
Thanks much for the kind offer, triviawayne, but unfortunately I've got flights booked already and am bringing an actual friend that I actually know from my actual hometown (strange, I know). I did toy with the idea of bringing in a Boardie as a Plus One, but opted to give the chance at glory or humiliation to a friend.

This may prove to be a tactical blunder, but at the very least it will be an overwhelmingly fun experience for both of us.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

NegativeKelvin wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
NegativeKelvin wrote: A Leszek/Kramer tag team takes on WWTBAM on July 22nd? This IS exciting.

Thanks much for the kind offer, triviawayne, but unfortunately I've got flights booked already and am bringing an actual friend that I actually know from my actual hometown (strange, I know). I did toy with the idea of bringing in a Boardie as a Plus One, but opted to give the chance at glory or humiliation to a friend.

This may prove to be a tactical blunder, but at the very least it will be an overwhelmingly fun experience for both of us.
I hope it works out for you...congratulations and go get 'em!

Leszek has dibs, but after that, if anyone wants a plus one, I can do it. I have no problem skipping out on work at a moments notice, so even in a pinch (although I'd rather have a few days notice) I can do it since the drive to Stamford is the same as it was to NYC. I get over 83% of all answers correct and over 50% of level two answers correct.

Not only could I help someone win more money, I figure if I'm a +1 it might get the CCs to decide to make me a contestant--so yeah, I'm very motivated.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Thanks to all who offered. I have a super-strong pop culture ready to go as my Plus One.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

leszekp wrote:Thanks to all who offered. I have a super-strong pop culture ready to go as my Plus One.
Are you going to keep us in suspense??? Or are you required to keep this confidential?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

leszekp wrote:Thanks to all who offered. I have a super-strong pop culture ready to go as my Plus One.
Well this leaves me available for anyone else...anyone?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

You're trying too hard, Wayne.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

jeff6286 wrote:
Are you going to keep us in suspense??? Or are you required to keep this confidential?
Arthur Chu?