Errors and Corrections in The Cultural Literacy Trivia Guide-4th Edition

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Errors and Corrections in The Cultural Literacy Trivia Guide-4th Edition

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Dumb question: How do I know which earlier edition I have of the Ferrill book? Do the 2nd, 3rd and 4th all have that marking on the cover therefore mine is the 1st? Or I should look for something inside?
4th says so on the cover, 5th is called "Game Show Trivia" (and also says 5th). I've never seen the 3rd edition. I'm not sure if the 2001 edition is the 1st or second (I think first.)
My copy has 2000 inside and the dedication is:

For Sara Jean and Seth Joseph the great joys in my life.

The editors are Linda Clark and Jeanne Gibbons
That's probably the first edition then. Mine has the same, but the date is 2001. What's the ISBN?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Bamaman wrote:Why do they even put out a print version of this? I can find out most of that stuff on Wikipedia for free. Why would I buy a book that is seemingly full of errors.
Sure, but you have to hunt and peck and search up stuff and THINK about it. These books are super useful in the car (boring long drives) planes (boring long flights) boats (boring long cruises) and visits to the inlaws (boring long weekends). Take them to the Dr's office and enjoy your wait in the lobby for a change!

It's a Very Useful Tool that, when frequently reviewed by Bears of Very Little Brain, will pay big dividends. Be aware there are errors and some silly entries as noted above, but by and large a heroic effort to assimilate all this info. These are the topics that all the trivia game shows visit, I was amazed at how many clues on the 500 Q's game were straight off the pages of this book. Every day on J! there are repetitive clues from the lists in it, sometimes quoted verbatim!

Well worth having. Don't leave home without it! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oh sorry, Myron I forgot to answer that question. It's 1-893937-03-8 on my 2000 copy.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

OMG! I'm working with a 1987 version!

:o

Off to the bookstore I go.....
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

rouquinne wrote:OMG! I'm working with a 1987 version!

Well, that would be an excuse for listing Faud as the King of Saudi Arabia and Rainier as the Prince of Monaco! ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

You might be thinking of the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, which is a different book, although equally useful for Jeopardy purposes.

Fun fact, both books listed the capital of Florida wrong in the first edition, giving different cities.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

MinnesotaMyron wrote:

You might be thinking of the Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, which is a different book, although equally useful for Jeopardy purposes.

Fun fact, both books listed the capital of Florida wrong in the first edition, giving different cities.
Was there already a Dictionary of Cultural Literacy out in 1987? I was actually working for E. D. Hirsch then, and I thought his people were still working on the dictionaries. I know the book Cultural Literacy was out, with its rather controversial list, but I don't remember the dictionaries. But that was a long time ago, and my memory could be faulty. (Of course, if I only had internet access, I could just look it up myself....)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Winchell Factor wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

Was there already a Dictionary of Cultural Literacy out in 1987? I was actually working for E. D. Hirsch then, and I thought his people were still working on the dictionaries. I know the book Cultural Literacy was out, with its rather controversial list, but I don't remember the dictionaries. But that was a long time ago, and my memory could be faulty. (Of course, if I only had internet access, I could just look it up myself....)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Winchell Factor wrote:[
I got one for a birthday present around that time, so there was one in the late 80s for sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:[
I got one for a birthday present around that time, so there was one in the late 80s for sure.
My version of the book says 1993 with an ISBN: 0-395-65597-8

There is a preface to the second edition that opens with, "Over the five years since the first edition of The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy was published...

and later in the preface, "In 1988 when the first edition of The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy appeared..."
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Thanks.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
That is precisely what I have sitting on my coffee table at home. I will continue my search for the Trivia Guide.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I recently acquired copies of most of the references on this list. All Very Useful Tools. Get some for your box!

https://www.naqt.com/References/
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Page 241 Sports: "Mark Phelps" should be "Michael Phelps" at the bottom of the page.

Page 219 Royalty: "Irish King who defeated the Danish, 1014: ...Brian Baramha" should be Brian Boru instead.

Page 63 Cities: "City served by Will Rogers & Wiley Post airports...Tulsa, OK" should be Oklahoma City, OK.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Found another one:

Page 64 Cities: "Interpol headquarters...Paris" should be Lyon.