Thursday, June 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Thursday, June 11, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:34 pm

All but Smithers (NHOI) in Simpsons, surprisingly.

Couldn't work out bunch/bench in Differs by a Vowel since I got snagged on trying to make vine into chair or vice-versa. I got the middle 3 (I'd hate to have missed a clue with "otter" in it!), but have NHO "weft".

No guess on FJ!
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Woppy T wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
This was yet another reason I wouldn't Clavin on a Bible FJ, even though I'd be sorely tempted. (The main reason is that THE WRITERS get things wrong way too often in Bible clues and I don't trust them to reverse themselves.)
Amen to that. Remember the "upper room" fiasco?
I sure do! :lol:

brick

Post by brick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:12 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:All but Smithers (NHOI) in Simpsons, surprisingly.

Couldn't work out bunch/bench in Differs by a Vowel since I got snagged on trying to make vine into chair or vice-versa. I got the middle 3 (I'd hate to have missed a clue with "otter" in it!), but have NHO "weft".

No guess on FJ!
Weft is marginally archaic. I happen to have friends who weave fabric as a hobby and I listen to them when they talk about it. But weaving is not obsolete, and the relationship between warp and weft is important in fabric and rugs and probably other textiles I'm not thinking of right now. The terms are not obsolete.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:05 am

$33,800 Coryat; only picked up Syria, Waterloo, and harness racing as trash, but there weren't many triple stumpers today. That's what happens when contestants insist on reading out the full category names.

I was stuck between Malta and Cyprus, and figured Paul was more likely to wash up somewhere Greek. I wouldn't have been able to beat Darren today in any case; the man was on fire.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:56 am

Coryat: $32,200
42 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: harness racing

I knew that Paul was shipwrecked, but didn't know where. It turns out that the KJV uses the Roman name for the island. (Acts 28:1: "And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita.") Mark, can we poll between those who got this by knowledge vs. WAG?

DHF is on fire. WTG Boardie!

I gave myself credit for the $400 clue in H-O-R-S-E. "A six-letter term describing the figure seen here." Well, it's a solid red rectangle and the response has to start with O, so...opaque. Pin your clues better, TPTB.
Sprinkles are for winners.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:12 am

sarisson wrote:. Well, I ended up auditing it because the average test grade was about a 30.
Nice job by our boardie on securing another lock.
A 30 was a D with a curve in a 400 level math course exam in my college years 20 years ago.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:19 am

Congratulations, Darren, on another impressive win! I had 34 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Syria, Waterloo, Abraham Lincoln, harness racing, and convex. I guessed Corsica for FJ.

dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for the congratulations and nice comments, everyone. As many former players have said, the game goes so quickly when you're playing it that you don't remember much about the game afterwards, so it's been fun seeing questions I answered that I didn't remember. Not to mention the ones I remembered missing and kicking myself over later. Police commissioner? Really? As a longtime Simpsons fan, that was utterly inexcusable. The only thing I can figure, in the heat of the moment, was that I had somehow conflated the character with Commissioner Gordon from the Batman universe.

Happy I got dressage, since a former student and my former administrative associate competes in it.

Sad Kyle beat me to Dune, since I write about science fiction. But I was happy to see Kyle came across well. We started talking in the shuttle to the studio (he had amazingly managed to squeeze his 6'5" frame into the back seat), and we had lunch together in the Sony Commissary with Daniel from Friday's game, another great guy.

When I heard Kathryn telling Corina the Katie Couric story in the green room, I prayed that Alex would pick that one from his card, and was happy she got to tell it.

Finally, my daughter's junior high Sunday school teacher teasingly castigated me for missing the Malta question. I've read Paul's letters more than once, but I couldn't recall the island and tried to come up with a plausible guess. Oh well.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:51 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I gave myself credit for the $400 clue in H-O-R-S-E. "A six-letter term describing the figure seen here." Well, it's a solid red rectangle and the response has to start with O, so...opaque. Pin your clues better, TPTB.
Loophole abuse is fun, isn't it?

"Describe Newton's first law of motion in your own words." "Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz."
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 am

StevenH: There went one of your dream categories. ;)

The Archive has Veterans' Day with the apostrophe after the "s". I checked my J! calendar and that has it the same way.
I looked at four different wall calendars and those all have it as Veterans Day without the apostrophe. Is is like Presidents Day with it hard to have everyone on agreement on to ' or not to ' ?

Darren: You have played 6/6 DDs to demonstrate nice board control. The Coryat going from 19800 to 25200 was a impressive jump, so it must have been comfortable to be at the champ's spot? It seems like you must have ordered the right lunch in the commissary.

Off the FJ! category I had Malta on my mental list. The clue had me anticipating the possibility of someone guessing Tarsus as a place associated with Paul. I had nothing to go on from the clue's wording or the statue and I picked Crete. Perhaps if I had seen the game at 7 in the evening I may have written Malta. It's one of those clues when I may have had a different response a different time.

Yes, the poll can have options for "knowing" Malta and "guessing" Malta as we've already seen posters that could check either one so far.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Not a Bible expert, and did not get this answer correct, but doesn't Malta have some significance to the Catholic church that might set it apart in this question? Didn't an order of Crusader knights occupy it or something?

Determined to find a 'hook' in every question, as I despise EYKIOYD-type questions.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:56 pm

I guessed Malta, but it was definitely a guess. My other guess probably would have been Crete.

One thing that made me lean Malta is that I know there is such a thing as the "Maltese Cross". But maybe this is an example of getting the right response for the wrong reason. After some brief Googling, it looks like the Maltese cross dates from much, much later than the time of St. Paul.

I knew some things about St. Paul before last night. I knew his former name was Saul, I knew that he converted to Christianity on the road to Damascus, and I knew that he wrote the New Testament books consisting of epistles to the Corinthians and some other groups whose names I don't quite have memorized (Galatians, Ephesians, ...) But I had no idea about the "shipwrecked on Malta" thing.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:24 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:The Archive has Veterans' Day with the apostrophe after the "s". I checked my J! calendar and that has it the same way.
I looked at four different wall calendars and those all have it as Veterans Day without the apostrophe. Is is like Presidents Day with it hard to have everyone on agreement on to ' or not to ' ?
I moved the apostrophe... the closed captioners had it as "Veteran's"!

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 pm

As for Malta, isn't it more associated with St. John, inasmuch as the Knights of Malta were the Hospitalers of St. John? (Just going by memory here. )

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:46 pm

Robert K S wrote:As for Malta, isn't it more associated with St. John, inasmuch as the Knights of Malta were the Hospitalers of St. John? (Just going by memory here. )
This is what I always associate with Malta:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087258/

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Oh, please, can't we have just one more justice?

dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:32 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Darren: You have played 6/6 DDs to demonstrate nice board control. The Coryat going from 19800 to 25200 was a impressive jump, so it must have been comfortable to be at the champ's spot? It seems like you must have ordered the right lunch in the commissary.
Thanks! Yes, I felt very fortunate that my first game was followed by the lunch break, which gave me a chance to catch my breath and compose myself. As for lunch, I'd read in Chuck Forrest and Mark Lowenthal's Secrets of the Jeopardy! Champions that you shouldn't eat a heavy lunch because it could slow you down in afternoon game play, so I had a salad with some proteins added in. When we gathered in the Jeopardy! section of the commissary, Maggie asked me, "So what ya eatin', champ?" and seemed to nod approvingly when I told her. I also avoided the pile of candy bars she and Corina brought in. I like candy, but didn't want to risk crashing off a sugar high.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Robert K S wrote:Oh, please, can't we have just one more justice?
...say the Democrats urging Ruth Bader Ginsburg to retire before January 2017.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Robert K S wrote:Oh, please, can't we have just one more justice?
Poor Goosio...

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:28 am

willwoodlen wrote:I had no good answer to FJ either. I went with Rhodes, thinking of the Colossians as recipients of some of Paul's epistles and going from there to the Colossus of Rhodes, even though I was almost sure they weren't an island people. And it turns out they weren't.
That was my approach too. Didn't feel promising, but you have to try.
I'm smart and I want respect.