Friday, June 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Friday, June 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Am I just old or was Benson overvalued in the bottom row?
Benson was waaaay overvalued. And giving that is was a spinoff was way too much info at any dollar value.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:You should, but as MDaunt was hinting, that's not the full name of the ship. It is (was? was, and now is again?) the Costa Concordia.
That's one of those "Yeah, but ..." situations, I think. Yes, the full name of the ship is Costa Concordia, but Costa is the company that operates it. It's like that with most cruise ships and I'd bet you can safely leave off the company name.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

bpmod wrote:
Benson was waaaay overvalued. And giving that is was a spinoff was way too much info at any dollar value.

Brian
9/22/14 had "he played Ironside and Perry Mason" in the bottom box in the category Canadians on TV, with the other four having 21st century show references. Cagney and Lacey was a triple stumper not long ago. Benson could have been a TS if the players are under a certain age.
Will33
Contributor

Post by Will33 »

Seems men now can wipe out a program as long as the men keep dominating. This is like the third Friday in two months or so where all men have played. There's no one close to Julia's caliber or even Sarah's from last season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mike was at minus 2600 (after more was taken away before the interview) for the first segment. Is that a record?

Darren: That was a great way to make the $800 in TV worth more than that box value by letting the other guys add "The Green" and "Green." Congrats on making it to next week.

The FJ! category had me unsure how far back to turn the time machine as my precalls were:

Mayaguez
Pueblo
Achille Lauro
Rainbow Warrior I or II
Exxon Valdez

2012 in the clue felt to me like all of my precalls were out. I tried to think of some bad luck cruise ship like the Costa Concordia (not that I could have recalled that name in 30 seconds) and had a blank page. I had no name for whatever Captain Phillips commanded. I was willing to consider it a Hammering until deciding to scribble Carnival at the end to have something.

When Alex gave the correct response all I could do was shake my head as the correct response was right there on my precall list. Come on writers, how about a little Captain Joe Hazelwood help? I've seen Waterworld and that would have helped. :)

While working on this post I thought of one more thing I would not have been able to recall, not that it was a ship. If the clue had wanted Deepwater Horizon I would have been in deep something as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Phillips captained the Alabama.
billiej

Post by billiej »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I instantly wrote down Exxon Valdez, then thought, well, would Nature have given an obituary to the Valdez? What about the Rainbow Warrior? I think that ship recently went out of commission, and I could see Nature writing a laudatory obituary since the Greenpeace folks are all ostensibly about saving nature and whatnot but get a bad rap. Yeah. That makes a lot more sense. I'm confident with that answer. Boom, suckas. Give it to me, Alex.

MOTHERFATHER!

Learn from my mistakes, kids.
Too late, I had the same thought process. :twisted:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My thought process was more like "uh… … … … … …"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
Especially since mentioning it got me turned around in my mind and I ended up saying "What is Soap?" and missing a gimme clue.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

billiej wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote: I instantly wrote down Exxon Valdez, then thought, well, would Nature have given an obituary to the Valdez? What about the Rainbow Warrior? I think that ship recently went out of commission, and I could see Nature writing a laudatory obituary since the Greenpeace folks are all ostensibly about saving nature and whatnot but get a bad rap. Yeah. That makes a lot more sense. I'm confident with that answer. Boom, suckas. Give it to me, Alex.

MOTHERFATHER!

Learn from my mistakes, kids.
Too late, I had the same thought process. :twisted:
As did I. The Rainbow Warrior (II) (retired 2011) had a run-in with a coral reef in 2005, which certainly could qualify as bad publicity. Oh, well. :(
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Oh the irony of an environmental group wiping out an innocent coral reef...

I think Daniel Lee was on The Chase. Was he chewing gum throughout the game? I was rooting for Mike in the middle but both challengers imploded at the end. I thought of the Concordia myself. Bad FJ week for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote:Oh the irony of an environmental group wiping out an innocent coral reef...

I think Daniel Lee was on The Chase. Was he chewing gum throughout the game? I was rooting for Mike in the middle but both challengers imploded at the end. I thought of the Concordia myself. Bad FJ week for me.
Looking at the list of players here: http://gameshows.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase I did not find anyone named Daniel. The Dan on November 18, 2014 was not on Friday's J! episode. You did mean the U.S. version of the show, right?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I did. He definitely looked familiar. J! would've advised us if he had been a previously wronged player, right? Anyway, thanks for looking it up!
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

nightreign wrote:Add me to those who said Titanic because of the 2012 anniversary. My mom and I tried and failed to make something of the date in the clue.

Add me to the group, too. So glad to have company!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Johnblue wrote:Oh the irony of an environmental group wiping out an innocent coral reef...
That ain't the only thing they've damaged in their misguided quest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/world ... .html?_r=2