Tuesday, June 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
nightreign wrote:I said Dali. But halfway through the music, my mom said "that guy who splatter painted stuff" and I knew she was right (I also knew the guy's name; just mentioning that). I'm counting it as a neg.
Think Jackson Pollock would've been a fan of Splatoon? :lol:

But seriously, WLT Arabic, and why should I know that Algeria is predominantly Islamic?
Answered in your very own little discussion thread. But on Algeria, if you've ever seen a map or a globe and looked at Algeria's neighborhood, you might get your answer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The way it was worded, I'll never know if BMSes would have been required, but it was interesting that they were specific in Denmark and Chile (Protestantism and Catholicism) but general for Algeria (Islam). I wonder what would have happened if they were general for Denmark and Chile (Christianity) and specific for Algeria (Sunni)?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote:
Volante wrote:I have to stop mixing up Draco with Hydra...they're not even in the same universe...
Harry Potter vs. Marvel Cinematic?
You know some fanfiction writer's already done that. (I am slowly becoming a Marvel fan but doubt I'll ever become a Harry Potter fan.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

nklotz wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:But seriously, WLT Arabic, and why should I know that Algeria is predominantly Islamic?
They literally showed you an Arabic character. That should be relatively easy to recognize.

Northern Africa in general is overwhelmingly Muslim. You may have seen Egypt and Libya in the news over the past few years...
Additionally, Al-Jazeera, the well-known Islamic news outlet, is the Arabic name for Algeria.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote:
Volante wrote:I have to stop mixing up Draco with Hydra...they're not even in the same universe...
Harry Potter vs. Marvel Cinematic?
A-yup.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
nklotz wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:But seriously, WLT Arabic, and why should I know that Algeria is predominantly Islamic?
They literally showed you an Arabic character. That should be relatively easy to recognize.

Northern Africa in general is overwhelmingly Muslim. You may have seen Egypt and Libya in the news over the past few years...
Additionally, Al-Jazeera, the well-known Islamic news outlet, is the Arabic name for Algeria.
Coincidentally, by the way. Both take their name from الجزائر (al-jazair, or "island") but both through different means. Not sure why Algiers (which the country is named for) got the island moniker, perhaps there are islands off Algiers' coast that I am unaware of, but I think the news network named it because their headquarters is in Bahrain, an island.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

JayK33 wrote:

Is Dali a dumb guess?
Yes. It was FJ. If you had been right, it would have been a Dali Double.

...and I am so, so profoundly sorry I let that slip out. Really need to control the governor between brain and mouth.... :)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:I think the news network named it because their headquarters is in Bahrain, an island.
Or, more accurately, Qatar, a peninsula.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I think the news network named it because their headquarters is in Bahrain, an island.
Or as the French call them, "presque-iles" or, literally, "almost islands")

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
bomtr wrote:
Coincidentally, I am about an hour away from Presque Isle County, Michigan.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
bomtr wrote:
Geez. It's like those people have a different word for EVERYTHING.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:Really need to control the governor between brain and mouth.... :)
Not around here, you don't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm a bit confused about the double double letters clue about a Debbie Downer for the 21st century. The response was "buzzkill," a word that existed in the 20th century (see, for example, the MTV pranks show of that title from the mid-'90s), and the Debbie Downer character debuted on Saturday Night Live in 2004!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote:I'm a bit confused about the double double letters clue about a Debbie Downer for the 21st century. The response was "buzzkill," a word that existed in the 20th century (see, for example, the MTV pranks show of that title from the mid-'90s), and the Debbie Downer character debuted on Saturday Night Live in 2004!
I thought the same thing when the clue aired, and further thought "No wonder it's a triple stumper."
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I'm a bit confused about the double double letters clue about a Debbie Downer for the 21st century. The response was "buzzkill," a word that existed in the 20th century (see, for example, the MTV pranks show of that title from the mid-'90s), and the Debbie Downer character debuted on Saturday Night Live in 2004!
I thought the same thing when the clue aired, and further thought "No wonder it's a triple stumper."
Same for me.
For the FJ, I went with Dali. And I thought it was not a bad guess as well.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Looks like I will have to include Dali on the poll. It took me about 20 seconds to figure out that Pollock was the best guess. My first thought was some kind of mural going on and on, so Diego Rivera. The category helped assure I did not do something crazy like guessing Christo.

Since Brennan played the last DD it's logical that he would have bet more if necessary, so Raf going for just the 2000 on the Rum one probably did not matter. Absolutely that is 2nd box level and not 4th box difficulty.

The Gold Coast one in box 3 would have been fine a notch down the board. Brennan knew it instantly, so I guess the writers knew to place it in the middle.

Brennan won the Coryat race against Raf 18000 to 14600 while Raf did manage to get one more right then Brennan with 21R to Brennan's 20R. Advantage Brennan in the guessing department with 1W compared to Raf's 3W.

It was a pleasant surprise to see how the game played out with both challengers not embarrassing themselves. When I saw the Wednesday game before this one and knew Brennan had won $30,001 I thought it must have been blowout lock city.
brick

Post by brick »

Hadn't Christo already been a correct response?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

brick wrote:Hadn't Christo already been a correct response?
You're thinking of Thursday's game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
brick wrote:Hadn't Christo already been a correct response?
You're thinking of Thursday's game.
Thank you.