Monday, June 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Monday, June 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

grindcore wrote:Sacha: *wins nearly twenty thousand bones on jeopardy*
Jboard: yeah but his wager was dumb
Sacha: *pays off student loans*
Jboard: that wager was so dumb
Sacha: *buys his mother something nice*
Jboard: god what a chowderhead, did you see that wager?
Yes! The wagering vikings constant refrain of "That contestant won but he (or she) made a really dumb wager" is getting old. Just be happy for the contestant and stop playing what if.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $25,000
32 R/3 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: crow, cock-and-bull story, acey-deucey

One of my worst games of the current season, and easily my worst J! round. Just brutal. Luckily, DJ! was better, and I had heard the Lost In Space factoid as one of those ironic "we're living in the future" things years ago, so that was easy. (I seem to remember it as a bottom-of-the-page note in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. Anyone else have a recollection of this?)

I get the harshing on Brennan's wager, but Kay's seems completely defensible in the light of the fact that, y'know, she got FJ! wrong. Maybe she knows something we don't, like that television is a particularly weak subject for her.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squizzle wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
squizzle wrote:Thought Alex was a bit rude for getting Kay to respond to Brennan's Daily Double. But hey, Alex is rude sometimes and we all know that.
I didn't think it was rude at all. I thought it was a fun moment and I'm glad it happened. Has Alex ever done this before?
Perhaps rude is too strong a word, but it can definitely be a bit antagonizing or demoralizing to the person who just got it wrong. I do have a vague memory of him doing something similar before though.
I can see that. It all depends on how it strikes you, I guess. I just thought it was funny and maybe even a tension-breaker for Brennan after the pain of missing the DD. It was better than the times where Alex lectures a contestant about why their response couldn't possibly be correct. Those are the Alex moments that make me want to throw things at the TV.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If the writers wanted to keep the contestants away from The Jetsons they should have stipulated "filmed" or "non-animated" instead of live-action.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:3) Would this be considered a Shoretegy or a Stratton's Dilemma? Because I'm not sure if this covers it.
Yes on Stratton's Dilemma (which deals with bets from second place in these situations), no on Shoretegy (which deals with bets from first place in different situations). This situation fails the second test for a Shore's Conjecture game, viz.

1. Second place has more than 2/3 of First place's score. (check)
2. Second place has third place locked out, i.e. more than double third place. (nope)

If the situation passes those tests, you then determine whether the game fits the weak, intermediate, or strong form of a Shore's Conjecture game. The distinctions are a pain to explain, but I'll tell you this. Last time I ran the numbers (about two years ago), only the strong form was worth anything. The intermediate form was a wash. Using Shoretegy in an intermediate game won about as often as making the shutout bet. And the weak form was a fool's bet, winning less often than just making the shutout bet.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

grindcore wrote:Sacha: *wins nearly twenty thousand bones on jeopardy*
Jboard: yeah but his wager was dumb
Sacha: *pays off student loans*
Jboard: that wager was so dumb
Sacha: *buys his mother something nice*
Jboard: god what a chowderhead, did you see that wager?
Any time you want, grindcore, I'll set you up in a game of Russian Roulette for a million dollars. Think of all the stuff you can buy while laughing at the people who called you stupid.

That said, I don't think Sacha's bet was dumb.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vanya wrote:Yes! The wagering vikings constant refrain of "That contestant won but he (or she) made a really dumb wager" is getting old. Just be happy for the contestant and stop playing what if.
Ok, as long as the contestant isn't fat or gay or something.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

For every contestant who makes a poor wager yet still wins there is a contestant(s) who has to live with the fact that he/she got beat by a player who doesn't know how to play the game.

And results oriented people will never understand that the wagering discussion is never about winning and losing, it's only about whether a wager is good or bad.

opusthepenguin wrote:
Golf wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: I don't get the hatred for any of the three wagers. None of them was outright terrible. Kay's was probably the weakest.
Didn't bother reading the rest of your post after finding two errors in the first three sentences.
I appreciate the effort, Golf, but I'm too tired to deal with your trademark arrogant rudeness. The good news is, you still haven't responded to the last time that backfired on you. So there's still a dialogue to continue there.
The only dialogue in the above thread is the fact that you're still not recognizing the ToM. All you want to do is post info that is tangential at best to the clue while ignoring how to solve the problem at hand which is answering the FJ clue.

See, all I care about is playing the game is the best way possible. I point out when that is done, I point out when that is not. I do so in few words, that is what I do.

You post continuous War and Peace worthy things while barely touching on the most important parts of the game, that is what you do.

I suppose there is no right or wrong between the two methods, but there is a noticeable difference in the signal to noise ratios. And since this is a training ground for Jeopardy contestants, I prefer to train in the most efficient way possible. You do not.
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

harrumph wrote:If the writers wanted to keep the contestants away from The Jetsons they should have stipulated "filmed" or "non-animated" instead of live-action.
Agreed. That description almost threw me off.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

JeopRDFan wrote:
harrumph wrote:If the writers wanted to keep the contestants away from The Jetsons they should have stipulated "filmed" or "non-animated" instead of live-action.
Not sure why people found "live action" confusing. IMO, "filmed" is even more confusing. Aren't animated shows filmed in some sense? Using non-animated seems a bit of an excessive emphasis to narrow the category and not in the clue writing style.

I was surprised to learn that LOS was set in 1997, but given live action and family it seemed the most likely answer. Without the live action clue, I would have gone with the Jetsons.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Leander wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:Agreed. That description almost threw me off.
Not sure why people found "live action" confusing. IMO, "filmed" is even more confusing.

Without the live action clue, I would have gone with the Jetsons.
Ditto, I found the 'live action' part necessary. That specific phrase has always meant precisely 'non-animated' to me, so I find the confusion interesting. One's assumptions/Pavlovs are not necessarily universal, which is sometimes easy to forget.

Any suggestions for a more up-to-date word for 'filmed', or 'taped'? I still use those words quite often, as 'hard drived' doesn't really work. 'Recorded' is okay, but that's two whole syllables extra.
BobF

Post by BobF »

triviawayne wrote:I didn't think it was possible, but we have now seen a worse bet than last week.

I don't blame five games taking a toll on the champ, with a normal taping schedule it should've been the first show of the day.
That was terrible. Holding back the extra $2801 helped Brendan how?

Funny thought process for me to get FJ. I wasn't a fan of the show as a kid, but all sorts of things went through my head like the desolate, rock-filled planet and Professor Smith (who apparently, according to Facebook, David Lee Roth is now a dead ringer for) and Danger Will Robinson before "Lost in Space" finally came to me about 12-15 seconds in.
Last edited by BobF on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ once I figured out WTH "live-action" meant, "Gosh that sounds like The Jetsons, but wasn't that set in the 21st Century? Like, 100 years after 1962?DOH! Look @TOM; 'not a cartoon,' what a stupid way to say 'non-animated'!"

June Lockhart was my fav maternal role model, she oozed care-bear sweetness, such a Donna Bella... I wanted her to be my mother in 1966, LOL.

42R with LT: SERBIA >Bosnia >Croatia (population); Cock & Bull story; Canary (welcher/squealer, in a coal mine); To Crow about smthg; Miracle Worker (Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke as Helen; briefly wondered 'The Graduate' in which Bancroft played opposite Dustin Hoffman, rejected!); No get on Acey-Deucy or Burl Ives, he also appeared in East of Eden, The Big Country and Desire Under the Elms, and as Sam the Snowman voice in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Golf wrote:
And results oriented people will never understand that the wagering discussion is never about winning and losing, it's only about whether a wager is good or bad.

My dad used a really dumb pick-up line when he met my mum that on another day, in different weather, in a different building of the University of Ottawa campus, would have precluded my existence. Trust me, I understand (at least a little bit) the separation of results and wagering, but sometimes I like to chide you guys. I hope Sacha goes all in from the lead today and FJ is "This city is the capital of Italy".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
Not sure why people found "live action" confusing. IMO, "filmed" is even more confusing. Aren't animated shows filmed in some sense? Using non-animated seems a bit of an excessive emphasis to narrow the category and not in the clue writing style.
Yep, you'd line the cels up and with your 35mm camera, snap a frame. Swap the cels as necessary, advance the next frame, snap again.
"Filmed" would be horrible neg bait for this clue.

And by "non-animated", what, were the Lost in Space actors stiff or something?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I met Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) when he was autographing pictures at a convention a number of years ago. I went up to him and said "I've always wanted to punch you in the nose!" (for the multitudinous ways he got the Robinsons in trouble). He said, "You'll have to kiss me first." I did not have a good comeback to that one.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Golf wrote: I appreciate the effort, Golf, but I'm too tired to deal with your trademark arrogant rudeness. The good news is, you still haven't responded to the last time that backfired on you. So there's still a dialogue to continue there.
The only dialogue in the above thread is the fact that you're still not recognizing the ToM.
The "TOM" according to you was Athens. I didn't disagree with that part. In fact, I explicitly affirmed it. In the very post linked to above. The TOM led you to the ancient Olympic games, which you mistakenly believed were held in Athens. You used that misinformation to get to the correct response. You ridiculed those who didn't "connect the dots" from your incorrect fact to the same response. When I pointed that out, you went silent.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Volante wrote:
Leander wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
Yep, you'd line the cels up and with your 35mm camera, snap a frame. Swap the cels as necessary, advance the next frame, snap again.
"Filmed" would be horrible neg bait for this clue.

And by "non-animated", what, were the Lost in Space actors stiff or something?
Agreed. I think people forget that Jeopardy is filmed in Los Angeles and maybe there is a bit of a regional thing going on for the writers, but "live action" has been a sort of term of art for decades in "the Business" (as it's known in LA) to distinguish something from animation. For example, there is an Academy Award for "Live Action Short Film," as opposed to for "Best Animated Short." The writers probably assumed that everyone understood what "live action" meant but if it made the clue a little extra tricky for some, that would probably be considered a bonus for them.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

For me, the "live-action" part of the clue was fine; but I probably would have gotten the FJ if not for the "about a family" part of the clue. Lost In Space came to mind, but was rejected since I figured it was another "space exploration" type show (a la the following year's Star Trek). I never knew LIS featured a family, never having seen the show or the subsequent movie. I finally landed on My Favorite Martian, knowing it was probably wrong...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Add me to the list of people surprised at the confusion over "live-action." I'm not a film buff by any means, but with the recent spate of live-action versions of cartoons--Smurfs, Scooby-Doo, Garfield, etc.--I expected that this was a term most everyone was familiar with by now.
MtlMike wrote:For me, the "live-action" part of the clue was fine; but I probably would have gotten the FJ if not for the "about a family" part of the clue. Lost In Space came to mind, but was rejected since I figured it was another "space exploration" type show (a la the following year's Star Trek). I never knew LIS featured a family, never having seen the show or the subsequent movie. I finally landed on My Favorite Martian, knowing it was probably wrong...
Lost In Space was a space-wrecked adaptation of The Swiss Family Robinson.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.