Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 9021amyers »

ElendilPickle wrote:Did anyone else get Ozymandias from having read the poem? 8-)
"I am Ozymandias, King of kings.
Look upon thy works, ye mighty, and despair!"

I'm reciting this by memory; I hope I got it right.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the Im-Pasta category was impossible. All three at $200 sounded equally Italian to me, and thus equally likely to be or not be pasta. Repeat for the next four down.

Ran Six Letters, all but Axe in tools.

NHO "Letters from Iwo Jima".

I thought V-16 was extremely tough to narrow down.

I could've run 3 "Sy"llables too, but my tongue got tied on "sycophant" and "systolic".

Hmm. 8 by 8, but two of the sides get taken away. 8 + 8 = 16, + 6 = 22 + 6 = 28. Wait, did I do the math right? 16 + 12 = 24. Oops, try again. 8 + 8 = 16 + 6 = 22 + 6 = 28. Right? One more time… okay, 28 it is.
Leander

Post by Leander »

9021amyers wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:Did anyone else get Ozymandias from having read the poem? 8-)

Pretty close. The lines are

My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look upon my works, ye mighty and despair

I read this many years before Breaking Bad.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote:
edit: Bamaman, I think you meant subtract...
No, here's how I did it. I imagined a chess board in front of me. Then I added the eight squares on either side of the board together to get 16. Then I took the six remaining squares on each of the pawn rows and added them and got 12, which gave me a total of 28. I also thought about the 6x6 interior, which is 36 subtracted from the 64 total to give me 28.

It isn't hard math, but I'm not going to call anyone stupid for missing it. Under the lights and on the clock it is easy to get flustered doing math in your head. I'm glad this was a two player FJ in a lock game so it really didn't matter other than the winner's total winnings.
brick

Post by brick »

Judges ruling: for "a brief outline" I said syllabus.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

NY (4), Disco (2), 6-Letter (1), Tool (3), Lit (5), Pasta (2)
Sand (2), Film (3), Art (2), Alpha (0), Area (3), 3-Sy (3)

Lach Trash: "Sun Yat-sen"

I stunk with this one; if I got to 32, I'm not sure I would have realized in time that the corners count for 2 different sets of 8. Head-slapper after reveal.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Leander wrote:
9021amyers wrote:

Pretty close. The lines are

My name is Ozymandias, King of kings,
Look upon my works, ye mighty and despair

I read this many years before Breaking Bad.

ElendilPickle: Yes. Thanks for asking!

Leander: You're even closer, but the second line you quote starts

Look on my works...

That fits with the iambic pentameter.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Yes, from a college poetry course about 35 years ago, although I learned to pronounce it as oz-y-man-DIE-us, not oz-y-MAN-dee-us. No matter what AT and Wikipedia say, the latter pronunciation just drives me crazy.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

brick wrote:Judges ruling: for "a brief outline" I said syllabus.
I said that too and give myself credit.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh, and yes, I did know Grohl = Foo Fighters. Grohl also produced one of my favorite country songs from the past 10 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFQ5PZ1oqI
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the Im-Pasta category was impossible. All three at $200 sounded equally Italian to me, and thus equally likely to be or not be pasta. Repeat for the next four down.
Funny the Im-Pasta category comes at a time when ABC and Fremantle, according to Buzzerblog, are going to have another go at To Tell the Truth in the wake of the recent success of Celebrity Family Feud on ABC.
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

Tough game to watch. Definitely upheld the "giant slayer is a one-and-done" rule, as it was a struggle for Sascha pretty much from start to finish. (Something tells me he'd have had a decent shot at a lone FJ get, so if he had pulled H1N1 maybe he isn't a one-and-done champ.) Dunno if a 5-timer quite counts as a "giant," but Brennan racked a lot of scratch against some pretty tough competition last week so he's there in my book. The result was that Matt won fairly easily. Hopefully he's not quite as slow on the category selection tomorrow, although I wonder if that became strategic later on as it became obvious he had a runaway game in the making.

It seems like they really brought it with the contestant pool in the last two weeks. This show fell a little short of that for me, maybe in part because that J! round board was so out there in so many ways (which is not the contestants' fault) and maybe I focused a bit much on the end game with all the TS'ers and what seemed like an easy puzzle in FJ going unsolved by both contestants left standing.
Yes, there's gas in the car.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I wonder what Sacha had for a day 3 story. How do you top receiving a fondue pot?

This literary character's father works for Mr. Scrooge: Any funny people give Martha, Belinda or Peter?

Now that was a mix of music acts: Foo Fighters, Tina Turner, Bette Midler, Led Zeppelin, Sam Smith - Nice to see all three players score in that one.

I heard Donna's botch on the blood pressure number the first go-around, so the reversal did not surprise me. It only cost Matt about 1800 instead of about 8K. For real money it turned out to be that pretty 5K popping up again.

No precalls for me off the category. I figured especially this week with my TD theme the clue had to be mine. My math was 8 x 2 = 16, 6 x 2 = 12, 16+12=28 to be done in a few seconds. Yes, stage conditions could make it a bit harder, but in 30 seconds there is enough time.

Now, if someone does not know the board is 8x8 and instead thinks it's 10x10 then 20+16 makes all the sense in the world to me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote:

How about this: did anyone else get Ozymandias from Watchmen?

Wouldn't say final was instant... "8+8+6+6" was instant, but I swear it took me half the clock to add that up...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Volante wrote:Wouldn't say final was instant... "8+8+6+6" was instant, but I swear it took me half the clock to add that up...
Count me in those surprised at those FJ answers. As for doing the addition, it's even quicker to just assign one corner to each side, so you get 7 x 4 = 28.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Volante wrote:How about this: did anyone else get Ozymandias from Watchmen?
I first read the poem after reading Watchmen (I can't remember why now...), so I guess you could say I did.

FJ!: 8 × 4 = 32. Wait, corners. 7 × 4 = 28. Really? That simple?
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mxc_takeshi wrote:30 right.
No. 30 wrong. 28 right. Penguin stupid.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

Pretty sure I read it in either AP English or some other high school English class. Still one of my favorite poems, alongside the Robert Frost "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Eve" one. Then I read Watchmen and it just stuck in my mind even more.

Couldn't believe no one got Final either. Remembering that there are 8 squares on a chess board, so so do 2x8 for the sides the pieces are on, then add 2x6 for the sides not counting the edges, then add 16+12 for 28. Simple. Spent more time second guessing myself.

Regarding Sasha's big Daily Double bet that flamed out for him, I got flummoxed because I didn't think the obvious answer of H1N1 was right. Overthinking things gets me in trouble sometimes.
Last edited by GhostStalker on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nlw44 wrote:
Yes, from a college poetry course about 35 years ago, although I learned to pronounce it as oz-y-man-DIE-us, not oz-y-MAN-dee-us. No matter what AT and Wikipedia say, the latter pronunciation just drives me crazy.
Dude, get out of my cab. You're wrecking the meter.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:I got it just the way Alex said I should get it, pictured a chess board in my mind, estimated that each side had 8 tiles, and figured out I had to subtract the doubly-counted corners. But then, for some reason, the 8+8+7+7 equation came into my head too, and I figured that's what I was doing and figured I should confirm by solving that equation. But then I realized my math skills are pitiful and figured I'd just stay with my 28 and figured 8+8+7+7 also was 28 and I didn't need to confirm it ...
See, now why can't I be that stupid?