TD 253: High School: Indonesia (Adjusted leader board published)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Realdeo
Contributor

TD 253: High School: Indonesia (Adjusted leader board published)

Post by Realdeo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Halo! Selamat Datang Di TD 253: High School: Indonesia! Saya Deo, tuan rumah acara ini.

This TD is inspired by my country educational system. TD 252 is 3 hours away from deadline, so I believe it's safe enough?

Rules:
1. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer. Player with the least score wins.

2. No DROP available (but keep reading)

3. In my country, failed subject doesn't count to cumulative grade, but 3 failed subjects and you flunked the class and must repeat the class next year (just like Orals, I guess.)

So here's the rule:

Wrong answer rewards 0 point, but 3 wrong answers eliminates you. (Flunked)
SpoilerShow
This can act as substitute for DROP
4. Flunked player will be treated as not submitting. In other word, we will not count your answer when calculating other player's score.

What happens is that we will review the answer one by one (still with keeping track for flunked contestant), but after the final question, I will readjust the score to account for the flunked contestant who are not counted. So it is possible for fifth place to go first place.

EX: You answered "A". 8 other people also answers "A". Normally you will score 9, but 3 people of those who say "A" flunked, we will not count the flunked's answer, so you get 6 points instead
SpoilerShow
So please do still entry. You can cause chaos in the final leader board.
5. Your brain only please.

6. The first tiebreaker will be the number of wrong answers, followed by the number of singleton. Should there still be a tie, we have co-champion!

7. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Question will be posted later, when TD 252 reached the deadline. It seems they extended the deadline by another 24 hours.
Last edited by Realdeo on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:57 am, edited 9 times in total.
If you're tired of bad Final Jeopardy!, you go to The Final Wager
If you're tired of bad Daily Double, you go to my blog, Clavin Daily Double

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Re: TD 253: High School: Indonesia

Post by goforthetie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:06 am

So a person who gets 8 singletons and 2 wrong answers will beat a person with 10 singletons? That seems unfortunate.

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:13 am

goforthetie wrote:So a person who gets 8 singletons and 2 wrong answers will beat a person with 10 singletons? That seems unfortunate.
If they decided to answer all 10 and didn't strategically bomb a question or two (and risk flunking out if they had one more wrong than they thought).

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm

I deeply apologize for posting before other TD reaches the deadline, but I don't have internet access for the next 24 hours.

Submission form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cq0C2x ... 4/viewform
Deadline: Tuesday, July 28 2 pm WIB (my local time) . Here's to convert my local time to yours : http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... T14&p1=108

Only 8 questions considering this TD maybe tough enough [but hopefully not impossible] , especially with the addition of the ‘3 strikes rule’

1. Music

Normally during this subject, we will follow the book and play what is in the curriculum. However, once in a while when we bored, we go free-style. Sometimes we play what the students want, sometimes we play what the teacher wants.

This is the 10 requested song. 5 from students and 5 from teacher. Name one of the song with the help of the vowel less title and the singer. (You’re not required to give the letter and just name one)

Option:
SpoilerShow
  • Prblms (Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea)
  • Rdctv (Imagine Dragons)
  • Sndy / Mrng (Maroon 5)
  • Bby (Justin Beiber ft. Ludacris)
  • Sprhrs (The Script)
  • Sldr / F / Frtn (Deep Purple)
  • Nvmbr / Rn (Guns N’ Roses)
  • Htl / Clfrn (Eagles)
  • Hy / Jd (The Beatles)
  • / Pt / / Spll / N / Y (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins) [6 words]
2. Bahasa Indonesia

Despite it is called ‘Bahasa Indonesia’, we love playing foreign play. We once played Othello (in Indonesian translation) and Waiting For Godot (I played Estragon! Again with the Indonesian translation)

Sometimes we’re required to make a review about the play. To do it, we’re required to read the original English line. Sometimes the line is weird (Shakespeare, anyone?) ,that we starts to remember it.

Given the line, identify the Shakespeare play (You’re not required to give the letter and just name one)

Option:
SpoilerShow
  • ‘Fair is foul, and foul is fair.”
  • ‘But love is blind, and lovers cannot see.’
  • ‘If music be the food of love, play on,’
  • ‘To be, or not to be: that is the question’
  • ‘We are such stuff as dreams are made on, rounded with a little sleep’
  • ‘Can one desire too much of a good thing?’
  • ‘To mourn a mischief that is past and gone is the next way to draw new mischief on’
  • ‘I am a man more sinned against than sinning’
  • ‘Nature teaches beasts to know their friends’
3. Geography

Remembering land borders is important in Indonesia high school for two reasons:

1. Always come up in exam.
2. As a supplement to study geopolitics.

Your task: Name one of 11 countries whose name start with a consonant and have land border with Russia. (EX: Afghanistan is not ok, because Afghanistan starts with an 'A': vowel.

4. Indonesian History

On the national constitution, it is written that one of Indonesia’s mission is to participate on keeping world’s peace. We do! We send groups of peacekeepers called ‘KONTINGEN GARUDA’ (‘Garuda Contingent’) once in a while. We already sent 26 groups, so there’s KONTINGEN GARUDA I to KONTINGEN GARUDA XXVI.

Except KG VIII and KG XI , each KG is sent to one specific country. Compiled a list of where they went and you get a list of 17 countries. Name one of them.

HINT: Think conflict country . The first KG was sent back then on 1957.

5. Economy

When the teacher teaches about currency exchange, they mentioned about The Big Mac Index. The Big Mac Index is list of McD’s Big Mac around the globe by The Economist.

I’m tired about ‘name-one-of-the-cheapest-country-based-on-the-latest-list’ question.

Here is your task:

Name one of the ten countries with the most cheapest Big Mac price judged by the dollar price (which is gained by converting the local price with the exchange rate back then), according to the April 1998 list.

HINT: 6 of 10 countries on the list is located in Asia. Think back what happened in 1998. It's eventful year.

6. Islam

Yes, it is a school subject. We have school subjects about religion. Students take religion subjects according to their faith. I’m a Christian, but there’s nothing wrong talking about Indonesia’s majority religion.

If The Bible is ‘divided’ in books, then ‘Al-Quran’ is divided by what they called as ‘surah’

Name one of the ‘surah’, whose Arabic name if written in Latin, does *NOT* start with A. (Ex: Al-Fatimah is not ok)
HINT: Some of the surah is name of character in Al-Quran, which is also in The Bible. Remember, we’re looking for the Arabic name.

Since it is hard for the spelling, I use FJ! rule. You can misspell, as long the pronunciation doesn’t change. (17 answers)

7. Chemistry

Name one element that is named after a scientist (or two). We’re looking for the element symbol. Full name is considered wrong answer. (14 answers)

8. RECESS TIME

A great topic to end this TD. I will show you screenshot or logo from some game. Identify the name of the game. If the game have expansions, just name the series name. (You don’t have to give me the letter, just name one)

Option:
SpoilerShow
Sorry. I don't live neither with a unlimited quota nor quick internet.
Last edited by Realdeo on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Realdeo
Contributor

Re: TD 253: High School: Indonesia (QUESTION POSTED)

Post by Realdeo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:06 pm

List of participant
SpoilerShow
  1. MarkBarrett
  2. dnbguy
  3. 9021amyers
  4. Magna
  5. quarterrican
  6. immaf
  7. dinghammer
  8. Gamawire
  9. dott888
  10. Blue Lion
  11. tjconn728
  12. Ivoirians
  13. clprez
CLARIFICATION:

Question -- 5:

I do not accept India as answer. You're allowed to change your answer, if your answer was India.

Despite first restaurant opened in 1996 -- The economist only reckoned them into the list since 2010. Since they don't reckoned them back in 1998, so I don't reckoned them. You're allowed to change.
Last edited by Realdeo on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

BobF

Post by BobF » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 am

I'm likely to fail out at question 6, but I might give it a try anyway.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:17 pm

BobF wrote:I'm likely to fail out at question 6, but I might give it a try anyway.
It surprise me that the players answer poorly on this question about Islam. The reason I use this question is because back in TD 249, we have a question about bible book. I thought that I will do the opposite and considering the fact that you are J! fans, I used to think that this question is piece of cake.

I know that the majority of American is Christian, but I expect people to stumble on 1 surah or 2 like you know, on TV news?

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Realdeo wrote:I know that the majority of American is Christian, but I expect people to stumble on 1 surah or 2 like you know, on TV news?
TV news is the last place I'd expect to find any in-depth information, especially anything involving a book. :)

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:31 am

Teaching religion (even teaching *about* different religions) is taboo in American public schools. The only way your typical American will know anything about even their *own* religion is by regularly attending church, or going to catechism or Sunday school. (Well, there are private, church-based schools, but they serve relatively few people.) We certainly never receive any formal education about religions other than our own. I am a practicing Catholic, and I couldn't even hazard a guess for the Islam question.

Although I'm a big fan of the separation of church and state, I think it's a shame that most of us are so ignorant about the world's great religions. More knowledge might lead to more tolerance.
Teems with quiet fun.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:08 am

immaf wrote:Teaching religion (even teaching *about* different religions) is taboo in American public schools.
The bolded part is most certainly not true based on my American public school experience.

Still, the names of books of the Quran is knowledge that non-Muslim Americans would generally not have had any opportunity to acquire.

squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 am

whatisbishkek wrote:
immaf wrote:Teaching religion (even teaching *about* different religions) is taboo in American public schools.
The bolded part is most certainly not true based on my American public school experience.

Still, the names of books of the Quran is knowledge that non-Muslim Americans would generally not have had any opportunity to acquire.
I'm a Catholic that has read a good amount of the Quran, but I think the version I read (it was just an app on my phone) just labeled them "Surah 1," "Surah 2," etc., so I have no idea on that question.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:49 am

How can we be expected to know about other religions, when so few of us understand our own?

Maybe if the 'starts with A' restriction was lifted, I could come up with a guess. I have a feeling that this is a prime candidate for a strategic Fail.

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Magna wrote:
Realdeo wrote:I know that the majority of American is Christian, but I expect people to stumble on 1 surah or 2 like you know, on TV news?
TV news is the last place I'd expect to find any in-depth information, especially anything involving a book. :)
Really? Especially with the recent bombing who the bomber sent a Quran to his friend?

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Realdeo wrote:
Magna wrote:
Really? Especially with the recent bombing who the bomber sent a Quran to his friend?
They spend about 15 seconds per story. And even if they discuss Islam in depth, they hardly ever even quote from the Quran. It's the same with the Bible or almost any other religious book, btw. If you want to learn out it, you'll need to look to some other source than TV news.

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:27 am

Magna wrote:
Realdeo wrote:
Magna wrote:
They spend about 15 seconds per story. And even if they discuss Islam in depth, they hardly ever even quote from the Quran. It's the same with the Bible or almost any other religious book, btw. If you want to learn out it, you'll need to look to some other source than TV news.
Interesting. Back in Indonesia, news people invites religious guy to talk like for 30 minutes once in a while. Not exactly a preach--but they managed to sneaked in some 'morale lesson'

BTW. Clarification for Question #5

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19 am

Bump

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:37 pm

immaf wrote:Teaching religion (even teaching *about* different religions) is taboo in American public schools. The only way your typical American will know anything about even their *own* religion is by regularly attending church, or going to catechism or Sunday school. (Well, there are private, church-based schools, but they serve relatively few people.) We certainly never receive any formal education about religions other than our own. I am a practicing Catholic, and I couldn't even hazard a guess for the Islam question.

Although I'm a big fan of the separation of church and state, I think it's a shame that most of us are so ignorant about the world's great religions. More knowledge might lead to more tolerance.

That has not been my experience as a teacher. As a student in a Catholic HS, I was taught essentially that the only religion that counted was Catholicism. (This was almost 50 years ago). As a HS teacher, now retired, I often taught about the religious beliefs of authors when it was relevant to the subject. For example, I couldn't teach Milton without discussing his religious beliefs, especially in Paradise Lost and in the sonnet "When I Consider How My Light ls Spent." Unfortunately, the texts I used didn't have selections by Islamic, Buddhist, or Hindu authors. I would certainly have researched those religions for background information to share with my students.

BobF

Post by BobF » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:53 pm

FYI folks, the deadline for this is 3AM Eastern Daylight Time, midnight for those of you on the west coast. So we all have a little more than 11 hours left.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Realdeo
Contributor

Post by Realdeo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:48 am

Time's up! Thank you for entering!

Realdeo
Contributor

Re: TD 253: High School: Indonesia (Question#1 Result)

Post by Realdeo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 am

Q1. I asked you to name the vowelless song title -- with help of the singer name.
  • Prblms (Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea)-Problems
  • Rdctv (Imagine Dragons)-Radioactive
  • Sndy / Mrng (Maroon 5)-Sunday Morning
  • Bby (Justin Beiber ft. Ludacris)-Baby
  • Sprhrs (The Script)-Superheroes
  • Sldr / F / Frtn (Deep Purple)-Soldier Of Fortune
  • Nvmbr / Rn (Guns N’ Roses)-November Rain
  • Htl / Clfrn (Eagles)-Hotel California
  • Hy / Jd (The Beatles)-Hey Jude
  • / Pt / / Spll / N / Y (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins) [6 words]-I Put a Spell on You
RADIOACTIVE – 6 responses
Magna
dinghammer
Blue Lion
kebert.xela

HOTEL CALIFORNIA – 5 responses
MarkBarrett
quarterrican
dott888

HOTEL CALIFORNIA – 5 responses
patkav
Bamaman