Monday, July 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Re: Monday, July 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:There are different ways to have fun. I always liked Bob and did not really mind Jennifer except for the dance, but I would prefer a person being himself/herself to a person forcing himself to be extroverted and showy if that is not who he/she really is. It doesn't mean a quiet person is not having fun. (And while I do not agree with the "haters," the fact that they exist shows that viewers have a wide variety of opinions about what kind of personality they prefer to watch.)
About the dance... after a certain point, this was mostly Alex's fault:

Game 1: I do a little dance. He is delighted, makes a Dancing with the Stars joke. I do the King Tut dance, he is similarly delighted, to the point of asking why I didn't dance at the end of the commercial break, and blushing a bit when I call him on his enthusiasm there.
Game 2: I do an even dorkier dance. Alex comes out, does a little dance himself. At the end of the episode, when I win, I am thinking, "Okay, maybe the dancing shtick is getting old," when Alex flat-out orders me, "Practice your moves." And as we all know... DO NOT CONTRADICT ALEX.
Game 3: I do the Pulp Fiction dance, which apparently everyone on Twitter LOATHES... but which Alex came out mimicking.

Most people hate this EXCEPT Alex Trebek, who was obsessed with it. That's a fair exchange in my book.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Aw, boo to Jennifer losing. Fun while it lasted.

I thought "In Cold Blood" (NHO) was undervalued at $200. Also couldn't understand the rambling Red River clue.

No beep-beep-beep on the Jane Pauley TS?

0/29 in DJ! The categories were NOT to my liking at all. Couldn't get "Nom" going because I was stuck in thinking they'd begin with "nom", but none did.

No guess on FJ! I know nothing about Eliot except his name.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

WAG'd Tennyson.

Two things in common with Jennifer!

1) we both got dinged behind the scenes for singing an answer (and I can't even sing).

2) Operation Backpack! I work for one of the corporate sponsors, and I've helped sort a couple of years. It's really soul-satisfying. (They also got money from my first J! run, and like many charities, they will no longer leave me alone.)
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:There are different ways to have fun. I always liked Bob and did not really mind Jennifer except for the dance, but I would prefer a person being himself/herself to a person forcing himself to be extroverted and showy if that is not who he/she really is. It doesn't mean a quiet person is not having fun. (And while I do not agree with the "haters," the fact that they exist shows that viewers have a wide variety of opinions about what kind of personality they prefer to watch.)
About the dance... after a certain point, this was mostly Alex's fault:

Game 1: I do a little dance. He is delighted, makes a Dancing with the Stars joke. I do the King Tut dance, he is similarly delighted, to the point of asking why I didn't dance at the end of the commercial break, and blushing a bit when I call him on his enthusiasm there.
Game 2: I do an even dorkier dance. Alex comes out, does a little dance himself. At the end of the episode, when I win, I am thinking, "Okay, maybe the dancing shtick is getting old," when Alex flat-out orders me, "Practice your moves." And as we all know... DO NOT CONTRADICT ALEX.
Game 3: I do the Pulp Fiction dance, which apparently everyone on Twitter LOATHES... but which Alex came out mimicking.

Most people hate this EXCEPT Alex Trebek, who was obsessed with it. That's a fair exchange in my book.
I agree!

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

NYCScribbler wrote:WAG'd Tennyson.

Two things in common with Jennifer!

1) we both got dinged behind the scenes for singing an answer (and I can't even sing).

2) Operation Backpack! I work for one of the corporate sponsors, and I've helped sort a couple of years. It's really soul-satisfying. (They also got money from my first J! run, and like many charities, they will no longer leave me alone.)
I just hope they like my rambling explanation of them! How coherent was that, I can't even tell?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:I just hope they like my rambling explanation of them! How coherent was that, I can't even tell?
More coherent than Shane's interview in this game so you're good.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought "In Cold Blood" (NHO) was undervalued at $200.
Capote = In Cold Blood. It's a very famous book.
Also couldn't understand the rambling Red River clue.
"Colorful" river in TX. Simple as that.

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

TenPoundHammer wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:I just hope they like my rambling explanation of them! How coherent was that, I can't even tell?
I don't remember it being that disjointed when it aired!

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought "In Cold Blood" (NHO) was undervalued at $200.
Capote = In Cold Blood. It's a very famous book.
The last few hits were much further down the board several years ago.
econgator wrote:"Colorful" river in TX. Simple as that.
That was just me being a derp and not comprehending the clue. I've known that the Red River is in Texas ever since I first heard Doug Supernaw's "Red and Rio Grande" when I was 7, but the clue kinda wandered in one direction and my mind in another.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

brick

Post by brick »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I don't remember it being that disjointed when it aired!
I think you were clear enough. Can I bribe you with a backpack full of supplies to let me buy you a glass of wine and pump you for details?

(I swear I'm not a creep.)

bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Could any other former contestants weigh in on this? I've heard stories about "saw myself delivering answers I don't remember," but this is a totally new level of that, and honestly, a little creepy.
Wha?

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

brick wrote:(I swear I'm not a creep.)
Nor is he a weirdo.

(What the hell am I doing here?)

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Of course Scott only gave pacifier when the possibilities were endless to give a funny alternative response. I said binky to be different while being sure it was common enough to get accepted smoothly. Alex backed it up with his extra remarks.

It's not easy to overcome an opponent going +6600 on a DJ! round Daily Double while going -4000 on one yourself. Benedict = 35 large and a third win while Francis = $2000 and the door. It happens. Jennifer's benefit is it occurred in game 3.

The FJ! clue took me a few seconds to fight through the noise to get to "waste" + American = Eliot. There was a time this clue would have been a miss. By 2015 in S31, no way.

The thread was on page 4 at 7:30 my time. Vegas has the over/under at half that tomorrow.

brick

Post by brick »

MitchO wrote:
brick wrote:(I swear I'm not a creep.)
Nor is he a weirdo.

(What the hell am I doing here?)
I don't know. But it's interesting.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Oh come on ... really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

(The problem response was "You don't belong here") :p

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

the first daily double in double jeopardy read:
The 4th amendment: None of these "shall issue, but upon probable cause"

sarisson wrote:
I didn't like the wording on the Bill of Rights DD. I knew the 4th Amendment dealt with searches and seizures, but was "warrants" the only acceptable response? I went with "searches."

Amendment IV reads:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

"warrants" are the only things that shall be issued upon probable cause based upon supporting papers. "searches" is incorrect.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Rafferty Barnes wrote: I think the strangest thing was watching myself ring in and correctly answer a $1600 clue about Nadine Gordimer's home country. "I don't know who she is now, how did I know then?"
I had a similar experience while watching the show. I said, "Huh. I know I got this right, but I have no idea what I'm about to say." There were other details I got completely confused about, too. But there was weird stuff on my episode, too.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:It's not easy to overcome an opponent going +6600 on a DJ! round Daily Double while going -4000 on one yourself. Benedict = 35 large and a third win while Francis = $2000 and the door. It happens. Jennifer's benefit is it occurred in game 3.
Jennifer got FJ wrong. edit: ignore this correction if you were going off her saying she missed FJ because of being flustered and off her game after the DD miss.

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

patkav wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote: I think the strangest thing was watching myself ring in and correctly answer a $1600 clue about Nadine Gordimer's home country. "I don't know who she is now, how did I know then?"
I had a similar experience while watching the show. I said, "Huh. I know I got this right, but I have no idea what I'm about to say." There were other details I got completely confused about, too. But there was weird stuff on my episode, too.
It's very, very strange. I've never had an experience like this before - memory is always a bit fractured, but normally, I can watch footage of myself and have a vague sense of what I did at that moment. Here, it's completely different facial expressions, emotions, actions, everything. Adrenaline, I guess, but it's one of the most bizarre sensations I've ever experienced.

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Ryno wrote:Had just read the "The Seven Story Mountain," so I was a little sad to see that Thomas Merton was a triple stumper.
I just put it on my Kindle and predicted Merton would be in the category somewhere. I shouldn't be surprised it was a triple-stumper- My sister, a nun, hadn't heard of him when I showed her in the past week or so.