Friday, July 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Friday, July 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,000
42 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: ship, Steve McGarrett (initially clammed until Danno was taken out of play), equality

I got the "big daddy" clue right, but missed "Matthew." :o

Instantly thought of Iceland on FJ!, wavered a bit with respect to Ireland, but stuck with the Obsidian Isle (that should be a thing) based on flight patterns. I'm surprised to see so many considering Bermuda and the Isle of Man (world's coolest flag, amirite Dave?). The category was National Airlines.
immaf wrote:For the $2000 clue in Webster's Dictionary, I said "suffocate" instead of "asphyxiate". I negged it, but I'm not sure I should have. Judges?
I agree that it has to be a neg. The clues were quotes of definitions from Webster's. I imagine that the definition for "suffocate" doesn't match the exact working of the clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:What struck me as odd about the promotion is you spend a week there. While a week in Iceland is probably nice, if I'm going to Iceland for a week, that's my vacation. Not a week there and then more time in Belgium.
I think the policy is you can spend up to a week there without incurring additional fees for the flight.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I have to stop forgetting places exist! First
Spoiler
The Netherlands
on Wednesday, then Iceland today. Maybe if I'd listened to my music iPod (as opposed to my podcast iPod) today and heard some of the countless songs by Icelandic artists, that wouldn't have happened. But it probably still would have.

I went with Ireland because my crossword puzzle days taught me it definitely has an airline. I might still have done so if Iceland hadn't temporarily blinked out of existence on my mental map.

The phrasing of FJ reminded me of the "this NFL team's logo" thing, but even more awkwardly phrased. Two of the contestants in that game thought it was asking for the logo (and I had no problem with it being accepted), so maybe it's not so surprising that all three went for the airline today. It's still weird that they all picked defunct ones, though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dinghammer wrote:I have to stop forgetting places exist!
I manage to forget it all the time. I notice that my forgetting that Russia exists made it into someone else's sig.
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

icecon wrote:The Icelandair nitpicking seems misplaced to me.

The question clearly asked for the airline
Nope. The wording was "This small land's airline…" They were asking for the country. "Icelandic" is neither the name of the country NOR the correct name of the airline. I suspect they let it go merely because Scott would have won anyway, and therefore the competitors have no case for contesting the outcome.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

worldwidewebster wrote:
icecon wrote:The Icelandair nitpicking seems misplaced to me.

The question clearly asked for the airline
Nope. The wording was "This small land's airline…" They were asking for the country. "Icelandic" is neither the name of the country NOR the correct name of the airline. I suspect they let it go merely because Scott would have won anyway, and therefore the competitors have no case for contesting the outcome.
There's some wiggle room here. "This" can modify either "small land" or "airline", thus, the multiple acceptable answers AT presented. (Removing "small land's" from the clue leaves "This airline advertises a 'stopover': 7 nights at no extra travel charge to break up a Boston-Brussels trip.") I would have taken the short route and just named the country and not worry about the name of the airline.
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm okay with accepting "Icelandic Airlines" specifically because the clue didn't specifically ask for the airline (which would have required that the name of the airline be accurate). And notwithstanding the capital A, "Airlines" can be seen as a common noun, erroneously pluralized (which they don't penalize for except for clues that specify number of letters or require a quote-completing word); "What is the Icelandic airline?" would be a perfectly acceptable response to the clue as worded, and I don't think the absence of an article, the capital A, and the s at the end are drastic enough changes to affect the ruling.

Scott and I both became five-time champions on Friday, July 24. Is there any other pair of 5x champs or better who happened to start on the same day and date in different years?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Since I watched this episode late, I may have missed someone else pointing it out, but did anyone else notice the juxtaposition in W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM and POP CULTURE? "Mom and pop"? Huh? Huh?
TenPoundHammer wrote:But to me, airlines are one of the few "who cares?" things. I just don't see the application in learning airline history. When I get the call from Wheel (which should be any day now), I'm most likely flying whatever will get me there for not too much money, and I don't care what name is on the plane.
To me, shopping malls are one of the few "who cares?" things. I just don't see the application in learning about retail stores and shopping malls. When I need to go buy a new pair of pants (which should be any day now), I'm most likely driving to whatever mall is closest to me that has pants that I like for not too much money, and I don't care what retail outlets are in the mall or were in the mall before.

See how that works, TPH?
immaf wrote:For the $2000 clue in Webster's Dictionary, I said "suffocate" instead of "asphyxiate". I negged it, but I'm not sure I should have. Judges?
If that exact same definition is in Webster's under "suffocate", then I'd give it to you. Otherwise, if suffocate has different words in its definition (which I suspect it does) I'd neg it.
brick wrote:Aer Lingus has a very similar offering in Ireland on many US routes to various European destinations. I thought the specificity of Boston was a nod in that direction, given the high number of Irish Americans there.
I dismissed Iceland outright for several reasons: straight line on a map Iceland is nowhere near a Boston-Brussels route (forgot great circle), and Ireland is smaller than Iceland as well. I completely forgot about the Irish-Americans in Boston connection, had I remembered that I'd've been even more sure about my wrong answer!
alamble wrote:After the lengthy debacle that was last night's whinging on the Jeopardy FB page, I thought I'd seen it all, but someone is now seriously trying to claim that ATHENS is the capital of Georgia, not Atlanta. *facepalm*
I don't usually do this, but my way of having fun with that person was by pointing out that the clue never said that Atlanta was the state capital, merely that it was mentioned in the clue. However, the correct response was "what is a phoenix?" and Phoenix is a state capital. Therefore her complaint against Jeopardy! was false because they didn't say that Atlanta was a state capital.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Not sure why you would want to stop in Iceland for a week while on the way to Belgium
Really? I still haven't visited Iceland but it looks incredible.

I thought it was very strange that all three players answered with the name of an airline when the clue said "this small land's airline..."

My wife missed it because she didn't realize Iceland would be considered small. I told her she can blame Mercator. :)
Right on!
brick

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Bamaman wrote:What struck me as odd about the promotion is you spend a week there. While a week in Iceland is probably nice, if I'm going to Iceland for a week, that's my vacation. Not a week there and then more time in Belgium.
I think the policy is you can spend up to a week there without incurring additional fees for the flight.
I believe that is correct. My partners cousin was stationed in Belgium for a couple of years, and both he and other family members took advantage of both the Iceland and Ireland versions of this offer.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

So would "Icelandic Air" be okay?

And if the judges already knew that the clue could be interpreted as either "This [[small land's]] airline" or "This [[small land's airline]]," why wasn't the clue just reworded so it could only refer to one? Or did they only think about that aspect of it after the response today was revealed?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After reading the answer again, I see it is written just like the Saints' logo FJ. That being said, he still got the name of the airline wrong.

Scott seems to have annoyed the Facebook crowd. So I hope he sweeps next week as well so they can stew about it for six weeks.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

dhkendall wrote:Since I watched this episode late, I may have missed someone else pointing it out, but did anyone else notice the juxtaposition in W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM and POP CULTURE? "Mom and pop"? Huh? Huh?
I did not. God bless you, sir.
dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

Bamaman wrote:Scott seems to have annoyed the Facebook crowd.
During my run, one of my students visited the FB page and found someone complaining it wasn't fair that I was so much smarter than my competition and that people like me shouldn't be allowed to play. As if! My fellow players were plenty smart, trust me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

dhkendall wrote:Since I watched this episode late, I may have missed someone else pointing it out, but did anyone else notice the juxtaposition in W. SOMERSET MAUGHAM and POP CULTURE? "Mom and pop"? Huh? Huh?
I didn't notice that but I did notice that Alex pronounced WATER SCIENCE almost like WATER SIGNS.

Also, did the show just coin the word "eurocompany"?

Alex's little plug for Adam Sandler's latest "offering" was an obvious post-game insert.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OrangeSAM wrote: There's some wiggle room here. "This" can modify either "small land" or "airline", thus, the multiple acceptable answers AT presented.
Whenever this line of reasoning comes up I feel like I'm speaking some different form of English. I don't see how the answer to "this small country's airline" can be an airline rather than a country.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote: There's some wiggle room here. "This" can modify either "small land" or "airline", thus, the multiple acceptable answers AT presented.
Whenever this line of reasoning comes up I feel like I'm speaking some different form of English. I don't see how the answer to "this small country's airline" can be an airline rather than a country.
But I'm sure you realize that even if OrangeSAM is not right as far as linguistics go[es?], the show does not penalize extra information unless that extra information is incorrect...

If Scott had said "Iceland Cruise Lines" this would be a different discussion.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

astrohip wrote:I'm surprised this was only a one-get. My first, and really only thought, was Iceland. What other small island lies in between Boston and Brussels, and would have an airline interested in promoting tourism. I briefly considered Bermuda, but it didn't make sense for multiple reasons. Iceland it is.

Really surprised the leader missed it.
No kidding. When I saw this clue, I thought to myself, "Buh-bye, Scott." Truly sad to see you go, but there's just NO WAY this isn't a triple-get and a loss for you.

Indeed, if you're travelling between those two cities, Belgium would not be a "stopover" would it? It would be a stay in Belgium before leaving for Boston. I was stunned to see two players miss this after they had both played superbly the whole game.

But I'm glad to see Scott stay, and many congrats for 1) winning again, 2) running the week, 3) topping $100K, 4) pretty much guaranteeing yourself a spot in the ToC and moving up to #57 in the HoF standings.

All in all, not a bad day at the office.
Last edited by John Boy on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I just tried it--went to icelandair.us, entered Brussels and Boston as the origin and destination, respectively, and a little window popped up, "Did you know you can take an Icelandair Stopover at no additional airfare?" Click on "Tell me more", and it says, "A Stopover is when you get two destinations for the price of one. On your way across the Atlantic, you can stop in Iceland for up to 7 nights at no additional airfare."
One day Stopover
If you only have one day to spend in Iceland, we recommend taking a round trip of the southwest, sampling the best relaxation options on offer.

You can do a lot on your Stopover in only 24 hours! We recommend taking a round trip of the southwest, sampling the best relaxation options on offer, so you can continue your journey as fresh and relaxed as possible.

Start at the Blue Lagoon en route from the airport to Reykjavík and spend your first few hours in Iceland soaking in the milky blue water. Head to Reykjavík to locate a refreshing cup of coffee downtown, and then plunge your feet into the Grótta footbath with a breath-taking view over the Faxaflói bay and neighbouring mountains.

When your feet are refreshed, go for a cocktail and a lovely meal at Slippbarinn, the bar at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavík Marina. Before you head to the airport again, make a stop at Sóley Natura Spa for a relaxing massage before your flight.

Two days Stopover
A two-day Stopover can be filled with various cultural activities in downtown Reykjavík.

A two-day Stopover can be filled with various cultural activities in downtown Reykjavík. Without too much effort, you can fit in a concert, a play, quality food, and local arts and crafts.

Regular concerts are scheduled throughout the year at Harpa Reykjavik Concert Hall and Conference Centre. The National Theatre shows a wide selection of plays for those interested in the articulation of the Icelandic language, and there’s no shortage of quality restaurants in 101 Reykjavík – the heart of the city.

Top your stay off with a quality pampering session at one of our hotels and fly away feeling culturally satisfied and refreshed.

Three days Stopover
If you have three days to spend exploring Iceland, a tour to the North is well worth your time.

If you have three days to spend exploring Iceland, a tour to the North is well worth your time. With natural gems like Lake Mývatn, the balmy Mývatn Nature Baths and various sites formed by volcanic activity, any nature lover should feel right at home in the wild North.

By opting for domestic flights to make the most of your time, you can even explore your fill of the North in two days before heading back to the South to take in the famed Golden Circle and the capital Reykjavík before flying out again.

Five days Stopover
A driving adventure along the south coast is a great way to spend five days in Iceland.

A driving adventure along the south coast is a great way to spend five days in Iceland. Some of the country’s best-known jewels line the south, so with a well-equipped hired car, you can cover a lot of adventurous ground on your Stopover.

Activities like ice climbing, snowmobiling, horse-back riding, swimming and waterfall exploration should be stable fixtures on your itinerary, and you’ll have a range of accommodation to choose from on this route, like the Icelandair Hotels Fludir, Klaustur or Vik.

Round up your trip in bustling capital Reykjavík and then continue your journey after a quality time in winter wonderland.
They have a bunch of videos but here's just one.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote:Not sure why you would want to stop in Iceland for a week while on the way to Belgium, but after picturing the flight path in my head, there was nothing else it could be.

I need to see that 'ship' clue again. I'm trying to decide if there was some obvious bit of naval trivia that they missed or if the writers were just being evil.
I vote for "writers being evil." An airplane lands on a ship, but it's not an aircraft carrier (which I would certainly expect, both because on what other kind of ship would a plane land, and for only $200 what else could it be?)

That was just nasty negbait.
Last edited by John Boy on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.