Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7123, 2015-07-29

Some of Alex Trebek's audio was re-recorded when his voice recovered.

CONTESTANTS
Colby Potter, a policy analyst originally from Denver, Colorado
Jennifer Morgan, an editorial project manager from Southampton, New York
Jonathan Marcus, a law clerk from North Hollywood, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. On our program last week, we had one champion for five days. This week we've had two champions in just two days. Is that trend going to continue? We're about to find out. Jennifer and Colby, welcome to the show. Let's go to work...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NAME OF THE ROSE (5/5)
WHICH AFRICAN COUNTRY? (5/5)
TEAMS THAT HAVEN'T WON THE WORLD SERIES (5/5)
PRESIDENTS' SPEECHES: ONE WORD OFF (5/5)
A FORTUNE 500 COMPANY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IT'S ALL ABOUT "U" (5/5) (Alex: ...because that's the only vowel you will find in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Jennifer: 7 R, 0 W
Colby: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jonathan: $3,200
Jennifer: $2,200
Colby: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

[Alex's hoarse contestant interview audio was not re-recorded for this show.]

Alex: Colby Potter is from Denver, Colorado. He's a policy analyst, and you and I--you don't realize this, but we have something in common because you play a sport that, when I was much younger than you, I played also--broomball. It's a lot of fun.

Colby: I try to. I try to. I played a season last season, actually, thinking that it would be quite similar to when I played in college, which was, you know, a great excuse for a bunch of guys to, you know, drink a few beers and go out and play a game. But it turned out I was playing with a number of Division I and II hockey players.

Alex: Ohh.

Colby: I did not last very long.

Alex: The danger with broomball is that the walls have no give.

Alex: Jennifer Morgan is an editorial project manager from New York who likes to collect what?

Jennifer: Plush inanimate objects. It was ironic that "plush" was one of the answers. It started with a stuffed Eiffel Tower on a trip my husband and I took to Paris when--

Alex: How do they stuff an Eiffel Tower?

Jennifer: Well, I thought it was amusing that they would take a giant steel structure and make it fuzzy and cuddly with googly eyes and a little beret on top.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Jennifer: So, since then, I've collected a Space Shuttle, uh, the planet Saturn, I have a trolley, all these things with googly eyes.

Alex: It sounds like a fun collection.

Jennifer: It's pretty fun.

Alex: All right, good for you.

Alex: Jonathan Marcus is a law clerk. He is our champion. He's from north Hollywood, California. Even if you're not from Southern California, you have probably heard of Dodger Dogs, which are served at Dodger Stadium. Now, I thought there was only one kind, but I am wrong.

Jonathan: Uh, there are several now, and I've eaten most of them. I've had one topped with kimchi and one covered with mac and cheese. Uh, but there was one that I couldn't bring myself to try.

Alex: Which one?

Jonathan: And that was the, uh, hot dog covered in cocktail shrimp, the surf and turf dog, and I decided that was, yeah, a bridge too far for me.

Alex: A bridge too far. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonathan found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Jonathan had $4,600, Jennifer had $3,000, and Colby was at $2,400. Jonathan wagered $1,000.

A FORTUNE 500 COMPANY $800: A membership fee bump helped this co. move up the food chain in 2013, hitting $100 billion in sales for the first time

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonathan: $8,200
Jennifer: $4,000
Colby: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STARTS WITH AN ANIMAL (5/5)
COLD SCIENCE (5/5)
INDEPENDENCE DAYS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIE QUOTES (3/5)
"I. C." (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEAD PEOPLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 11 R, 2 W
Jonathan: 10 R (including 4 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jonathan had $14,600, Jennifer had $6,000, and Colby was at $14,400. Jennifer made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,000.

"I. C." $1600: Interconnected transistors, resistors & capacitors built on a single wafer

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jonathan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Jonathan had $15,800, Jennifer had $14,000, and Colby was at $14,400. Jonathan wagered $1,300.

INDEPENDENCE DAYS $1200: On Sept. 21, 1981 this British colony became the last nation on the American mainland to gain independence
(Jonathan: What is Canada?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE QUOTES $1200: A 2010 remake:
"I'm a foolish old man who's been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop"

MOVIE QUOTES $1600: A classic satire:
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company"
(Alex: Ah, Keenan Wynn in [*]. Great scene.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jonathan: $18,100
Colby: $15,200
Jennifer: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jonathan: Wager $12,301 to cover Colby.
Colby: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jennifer, hoping that you give the correct response and Jonathan doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $6,401 to cover Jennifer's doubled score, but no more than $9,400 if you want to top Jonathan on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $4,399 and win if both Jonathan and Jennifer miss Final.
Jennifer: If you think Colby is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $2,000 to beat Jonathan and Colby on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Colby is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $4,401 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Colby) and $10,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This woman who passed away in 2015 wrote what is billed as Australia's "Gone with the Wind"

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $10,800 - $10,786 = $14 (Who is Falk?) (2nd place)
Colby: $15,200 - $15,000 = $200 (Who is Lessing?) (New champion: $200)
Jonathan: $18,100 - $18,100 = $0 (Who was ?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [To Jonathan] ...and he's shaking his head because he was unable to come up with the author of The Thorn Birds, [*].)
(Alex: Colby Potter, you win with the smallest total of this year, a Jeopardy! champ with $200.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jonathan: $19,200, 24 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Colby: $15,200, 20 R, 4 W
Jennifer: $6,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonathan: 24/60 = .400
Colby: 20/58 = .345
Jennifer: 13/59 = .220
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S ALL ABOUT "U" $200: 7-letter beach danger--at least keep it to first degree
(Colby: What is burn?)

IT'S ALL ABOUT "U" $800: Dense, fluffy cloud variety associated with rising air currents
(Jonathan: [*].)
(Alex: I beg your pardon?)
(Jonathan: [*]. What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's right. Yes.)

PRESIDENTS' SPEECHES: ONE WORD OFF $800: FDR:
"In the field of world policy I would dedicate this nation to the policy of the good time"
(Colby: What is deal?)

WHICH AFRICAN COUNTRY? $400: It's highlighted here

WHICH AFRICAN COUNTRY? $1000: The Tobruk War Cemetery
(Jonathan: What is Tunisia?)

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $600: Introduced in 2010, the English rose seen here is named this, after Robin Hood's gal pal
(Colby: What is the Marion rose?)
(Alex: Be a little more--)

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $800: Like a '60s Donovan hit, they call the hybrid tea rose seen here this

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $400: A new variety, Anna's Promise, is the first in a series of roses inspired by this British TV series

TEAMS THAT HAVEN'T WON THE WORLD SERIES $600: In 2015 shortstop Troy Tulowitzki hopes to help this team fulfill its mile high hopes
[NOTE: The day before this episode aired, Tulowitzki was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays. The clue was correct at the time of taping.]

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $1000: This very popular & common variety shares its name with a type of lettuce

THE NAME OF THE ROSE $200: Hot dog! The tree rose seen here is named for this condiment pair
(Alex: And I don't understand why Jonathan didn't ring in first on that one.)

COLD SCIENCE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a testing facility at NASA Glenn Research Ctr in Cleveland, OH.) To simulate the temperatures in space, a cold wall inside the testing chamber uses this substance, LN, that can cause frostbite on contact

STARTS WITH AN ANIMAL $1600: It doesn't get more classic than these shoes seen here
(Jennifer: What are oxbloods?)

COLD SCIENCE $400: Proteins in Antarctic fishes act as a type of this, like Prestone in your car
(Colby: What is a coolant?)

INDEPENDENCE DAYS $1600: On August 14 & 15 respectively, Pakistan & India mark their independence that happened in this post-WWII year
(Colby: What is 1945?)
(Jennifer: What is 1946?)

MOVIE QUOTES $2000: From 1946:
"I'm givin' out wings!"
(Jennifer: What is, um...)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Costco
integrated circuit
Belize (or British Honduras)
True Grit
Dr. Strangelove
Colleen McCullough
sunburn
cumulus
neighbor
Somalia
Libya
the Maid Marion rose
Mellow Yellow
Downton Abbey
the (Colorado) Rockies
iceberg
ketchup & mustard
liquid nitrogen
Oxfords (or Oxford shoes)
antifreeze
It's a Wonderful Life
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Women Authors
This woman who passed away in 2015 wrote what is billed as Australia's "Gone with the Wind".

Spoiler
Who is Colleen McCullough? Jennifer said Falk; Colby said Lessing; Jonathan had no guess.

Jonathan Marcus: $18,100-$18,100=$0
Colby Potter: $15,200-$15,000=$200...now a 1-day champion with $200
Jennifer Morgan: $10,800-$10,786=$14
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

My prediction of yesterday that Jonathan was a lightweight whose tenure would be short-lived came obviously true today. Whyever did he bet EVERYTHING on FJ? If he had covered MAXIMUM BETS by his challengers, he would be a champion again today. In addition to that egregious mistake, he had to be prompted to phrase in the form of a question TWICE in the J! round.

LOL@ the new champ for raking in less money than the 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

LOL@ Jonathan for his answer of Canada as the newest independent English-speaking country in the W.H.

Three cheers for Jennifer for knowing her electronics well enough to know what an IC is.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Bit of fun for you guys: What does today FJ! have to do with this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Possible thoughts:

I don't want to win if I don't win at least 36,000."
"It's not really fair to the other players to only bet the minimum shutout bet, is it?"
"I'm double parked."
"I don't want to eat lunch at the Jeopardy commissary."

:? :? :?
Last edited by TheyCallMeMrKid on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepin' it real.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

What just happened?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, McCullough's Australian . Good to know ...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

And all this time I've been calling the senseless all-in wager from second place the 'suicide' wager. Silly me. Actually, it's too bad they left some money behind, a triple zero would've been fun to see.

Eventually got FJ right after running through all the female authors I could think of and eliminating the Americans and Brits. How could I forget the Thorn Birds...
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

All three contestants played very well up until FJ, then they all bet nearly everything on FJ and missed it. When's the last time a J! player won with an amount as low as $200? I had 36 correct responses including the triple stumper True Grit. I also got the missed DD of Belize. I knew that the FJ clue wanted the author of The Thorn Birds, but I could not think of her name.
brick

Post by brick »

I have a lot of respect for Jennifer's gutsy wager on her DD, and for pulling it off. I have the sense she rang in a lot when she shouldn't have. I'll be interested to see how many negs she had.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Three people who all bet much more than they should have. I almost popped a vein yelling for all of them to get off my television.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is now the third Jennifer Morgan to have appeared on the show. She is the only Jennifer Morgan to have had a shot at winning going into FJ. (The first, who was in my A.P. English class back in ought-eighty-two and eighty-three, came up against a buzz saw who put together a decisive runaway. The second was in the red when the buzzer sounded.) She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a penguin in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Well, ok, I can. But still....

Where do we contribute to the Keith Williams Liquor Replenishment Fund? Dude was down to coffee last I checked. COFFEE!!! That ain't gonna cut it after these wagers.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Dan Pawson had a $200 win in one of his regular games(1/4/08), so it's at most tied for the lowest post November 2001 winning total. If the new champ doesn't win another game, he'll have the lowest winning cashtotal of any champ, certainly in the post-November 2001 era, no? Darryl Scott won a second game after his $1 win 22 years ago.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I think we should put Vermonter on suicide watch. After he sees this, he must be considered a threat to himself and others.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that this was a tough board. It had been a pretty good game, but the female contestant going to the top of the board when she was down at the end of the DJ round was a bad sign.

I got It's a Wonderful Life just from the 1946 part. That film and that year have become a full proof Pavlov for me.

I couldn't have told you what The Thorn Birds is about, but I only knew one female Australian author. McCullough it was.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

^
^
enjoys the suffering of others a little too much. C'mon people its only a little math!

Should be a triple black or whatever Keith's completely bad bet color is this week.

2nd should have bet just enough to cover 3rd.
3rd really should have stood pat, It was pretty much a lock that 2nd and 3rd would wager big enough to drop below 3rd's current score.

And first. WOW, I called it as soon as I saw the question--TS with leader again betting it all and losing to some small residual. I was hoping for <100 and dreaming
of 0-0-0, but I'll take 200-14-0.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:So, McCullough's Australian . Good to know ...
If you're like me, you'll forget. I know this isn't the first time I've learned this factoid. For some reason I always think of The Thorn Birds as taking place on the American prairie somewhere--Willa Cather country. Maybe it was the cover illustration:

That picture could totally go on the front of "O Pioneers!" (But now that the clue mentions it, I do see Tara off in the distance.)

So I always assume McCullough is (was, now) American. If I'd known she was Australian, this would've been an instaget. It's not like I can name any other female Australian authors. I ended up going with Jane Campion, hoping she'd done some writing before turning to film. Turns out Campion's from New Zealand and only studied in Australia.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Ugh. Yesterday I was explaining to my little brother why it's the dumbest move ever to bet everything from the lead position. Luckily my wagering lesson was supplemented with a practical example today.

On a non-FJ! note, judges ruling: would "boobish" be accepted for the clue whose answer was "gullible"? The blue-footed booby is a marine bird and boobish means at least something along the lines of what the clue asked (I think, I don't remember the wording).