Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

eureka
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by eureka »

ElendilPickle wrote:
eureka wrote:I was so excited about the FJ category. I'm a fan of the MLB, but what the what! I was trying to figure out if those names in the colours were places, or what.

Any baseball fans who didn' t get it?
Google Sedona and the Sonoran Desert.
Can't really Google during FJ, that would be cheating. I suppose I could have concentrated on the sand = desert part during FJ , but that wasn't what I did.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Haven't watched a game since the 1994 strike, only red with black I could think of was Pirates, but no mention of the gold, so a miss for me.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

$20,400 (32 right including Final, 3 costly negs). $5600 is the most I've ever lost in a non-tournament game.
Phrenology should've been in the top row. The old medical equipment looked so different from anything modern that I didn't even consider buzzing in on anything else. I probably would've gone for Motown first if I'd been in the studio, but sadly I had a rare 0/5 there.
Final was an instaget among instagets. Sonoran :arrow: boom, Arizona D'backs. Their old colors were much better, which you could say about many teams (the Marlins in particular).
Hoping for a third lap

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

triviawayne wrote:Haven't watched a game since the 1994 strike, only red with black I could think of was Pirates, but no mention of the gold, so a miss for me.
The Diamondbacks weren't even in existence when you last watched a game, so there was probably no way you were going to get this one.

P.S. I also said Church of England, and if someone had said that it would've gotten a "Well accept that" from Alex.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget "Arizona Baseball team" but could not for the life of me cough up "Diamondbacks," so fail! Sigh, but 43R in spite of it and some fun gets:

LT: Phrenology, Black Molly, plumb Bob, Pushkin (Queen of Spades: "Three, seven, Ace! Three, Seven...Queen!" "Splendidly punted!" :shock: Full Text Here; worth a quick easy fun read!); Vishnu >Ramayana, Meerschaum pipe, Shasta Co/mtn; Calaveras Co (long stretch for Jumping Frog, hmm); St Albans VT >Wars of the Roses (!); and gets on missed DDs 'defibrillator' and pentecostal! Nuff LT for a runaway, given a bit of buzzer luck on a few other clues. Nailed 5/5 on 'Y-E', names and battles.
Also gave 'sterile' for carbolic acid antisepsis.

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

[quote ]Instaget "Arizona Baseball team" but could not for the life of me cough up "Diamondbacks," so fail! Sigh, but 43R in spite of it and some fun gets:

[/quote]

Wouldn't they accept either Arizona or Diamondbacks as standalone answers?

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

thenextofken wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Haven't watched a game since the 1994 strike, only red with black I could think of was Pirates, but no mention of the gold, so a miss for me.
The Diamondbacks weren't even in existence when you last watched a game, so there was probably no way you were going to get this one.

P.S. I also said Church of England, and if someone had said that it would've gotten a "Well accept that" from Alex.
I do know they exist, don't remember seeing those colors.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Plactus wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Alex was right, non-sports-guy me got Final without too much help. But I do know a bit about baseball and their recent (? I remember it at least) World Series win keeps the somewhat in the forefront of my mind.
2001, so depends on your definition of recent.
From where I sit, anything since 1993 is recent. Dave probably sits close by (in one sense of the word).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

brick wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:I noticed Andy looking to the left at the scores near the end of the game and not ringing in on the final when he couldn't be caught. Its nice to see someone who came to play and understands wagering.
I noticed that too. Good for him.
Not that good. $16,200 minus $2,000 is still greater than $4,500 plus $2,000, times two. He was perfectly safe to ring in at that point.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote:
Would love to see a poll question asking if the only reason you got meerschaum pipe was from watching National Treasure.
I could do that, but for a second opinion I would have to include Leave It to Beaver and the episode "The Pipe" when Ward receives a meerschaum pipe which Beaver & Larry smoke using coffee grounds and ashes.

Come on, Alex, how could sterile not work for an alternative to anti-septic? I was faster than the judges.

The writers got me twice tonight. I only bet box value on the DD in MAYORS since that is not my category and it turned out to be SPORTS with Dave Bing. Going 5/5 in that category was one of the more amazing category runs I had this season.

The FJ! clue was MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, so great sports. I would have bet the farm no matter what and would have had the solve in doubt when it was much more a GEOGRAPHY clue. The Diamondbacks took me a little work as I did Sonora = Mexico. Texas? Rangers, Astros? No, that can't be right. New Mexico? No MLB. Oh, Sedona! That's in Arizona (My brother and several others have visited there), so Diamondbacks.

Wait, those are their colors? That doesn't sound right. Oh, yeah, they did change uniform colors. Alex's remarks before the clue reveal should not be allowed even in a runaway game. I don't like getting psyched out or psyched up by what he says.

Andy had a nice draw that so many J! runner-ups wish they could have had. Them's the breaks.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

I feel like baseball-related clues and categories came up over and over again this season, or at least it felt like it during my games, since I don't know the subject well. Then we had a baseball category yesterday and baseball FJ today?
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

alamble

Post by alamble »

thenextofken wrote:
Instaget "Arizona Baseball team" but could not for the life of me cough up "Diamondbacks," so fail! Sigh, but 43R in spite of it and some fun gets:

Diamondbacks, yes, but I'm not sure they would have taken Arizona solo, since the state also claims the Cardinals, even though they are in the NFL.

I really wish I could have gotten these recent baseball questions on my taping day. The topic Alex was supposed to ask me about was my love for baseball, specifically the fact that I worked for my hometown MLB team when I was in HS, and I was the third generation in my family to do so. Damn, damn, damn.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

thenextofken wrote:
Hmm not sure; I figured they would want the team name, is the team state considered eponymous, thus acceptable?! If so, happy goats! :P

If the clue contains part of a response ('baseball') then it's not required, and also implicitly excludes 'football team' but I'd expect a BMS or "Sorry, not enough."
Last edited by goatman on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Gosh, I've been lucky recentlh with FJ! clues hitting close to home. First there was
Spoiler
BYU
last week, and now my beloved D-Backs today. (I took a glance at Sedona and red and shouted it out excitedly soon after Alex started reading.) After having a bit of an embarrassing brain fart that kept me from running the baseball teams category yesterday (forgot my dad's favorite team completely), this was a great way to make up for that. :)

I fondly remember the D-Backs' World Series win...we haven't done too well since then, though. I actually don't mind the new colors, but the purple and green were pretty great. I do definitely miss the team's glory days...Gonzo and Randy Johnson...that was the life.

Golf

Post by Golf »

I would rule negative on just Arizona being acceptable while just Diamondbacks is absolutely correct. It's just not accepted lingo to refer to a team only by it's first name so to speak. If a clue referred to a person, for example Alex Trebek, you cannot simply answer "Alex" and get credit but you would get credit for "Trebek".

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Golf wrote:I would rule negative on just Arizona being acceptable while just Diamondbacks is absolutely correct. It's just not accepted lingo to refer to a team only by it's first name so to speak. If a clue referred to a person, for example Alex Trebek, you cannot simply answer "Alex" and get credit but you would get credit for "Trebek".
Huh? Sports teams are referred to by their city or state name only all the time. True, there are the Arizona Diamondbacks, Arizona Cardinals, Arizona Wildcats, but if the category is baseball it's not a problem.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

Mrs OS's eyes lit up when she saw that dialysis machine. In the sixties she was involved a case where the patient had overdosed on a sleeping pill which was fat soluble, not within the capabilities of the standard dialysis machines of the time. From the basement they dragged up that machine. They then scrounged up the olive oil supply from local groceries and used it to fill the basin of that old machine and filter out the drug. She adds that the patient did survive.

The $400 clue in California Counties made me froth once again over Arte Moreno's decision to put "Los Angeles" in the team name.

Instaget FJ! Is there a standard on capitalization of color names? The Arizona DBacks page on Wikipedia had them as "Sedona red, Sonoran sand, black, white." Other web searches showed two of the colors as "Sedona Red" and "Sonoran Sand".
OCSam

buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Oddly, “I Can’t Help Myself” was my only get in Motown. Couldn’t tell you any Supremes song titles, blanked on “I’ll Be There” and the first two words of “Please Mr. Postman”, and outright NHO that Cherie song.
I won't go as far as to say "Best SNL Bit Ever", but definitely in the Top Ten... https://screen.yahoo.com/stevie-wonder- ... 39718.html

forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Plactus wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Alex was right, non-sports-guy me got Final without too much help. But I do know a bit about baseball and their recent (? I remember it at least) World Series win keeps the somewhat in the forefront of my mind.
2001, so depends on your definition of recent.

I was thrown because the clue was screaming Arizona but last I remember checking the Diamondbacks' colors were purple and teal (that hasn't been the case for years, but it's how I remember it). Also the first answer that came to mind was the Albuquerque Isotopes, who aren't in Arizona and aren't a major league team. Fortunately I shook that off and trusted that my memory was outdated and/or faulty and went with the correct answer.
Well done with that, now why not break your fast with our new Isotope Dog Supreme? /hands you hot dog with mesquite-grilled onions, jalapeño relish, and mango-lime salsa--the kind of bold flavor they don't enjoy in Springfield

dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

Since I live just outside Phoenix, FJ was too easy. I had, What is one of the worst teams in baseball?