Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7124, 2015-07-30

Some of Alex Trebek's audio was re-recorded when his voice recovered.

CONTESTANTS
Andy King, a high school principal originally from Chatham Center, New York
Amanda Bruchs, an attorney from Silver Spring, Maryland
Colby Potter, a policy analyst originally from Denver, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, folks, I don't want to put any pressure on Colby Potter, our champion, but consider this scenario--"Oh, you were a contestant on Jeopardy! How did you do?" "I won." "How much money did you win?" "I won... $200."

[Laughter]

Alex: But he gets to play again today. So, that's good news, as he faces Amanda and Andy, the A-team. Let's go to work. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S YOUR NAME? (3/5)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
BATTLES IN THE WAR (4/5)
Y BEFORE E (5/5) (Alex: And the "Y" is immediately before the letter "E" in each correct response.)
COMEDIC TV PARTNERS (5/5)
MEDICAL HISTORY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Kelly: Some dead ends and some early versions of standard modern instruments from Cleveland's Dittrick Medical History Center.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Andy: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andy: $2,600
Colby: $2,200
Amanda: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

[These interviews were not re-recorded; Alex's voice is extremely hoarse and gravelly.]

Alex: One of the things I love about our program is the fact that a lot of parents start their kids watching Jeopardy! at a very young age. Andy king, you did that, right?

Andy: We did. After dinner each night, we would turn on Jeopardy! and my son, Henry, sort of picked up on this big, blue screen. I think he thought it was a cartoon at first. And so one of his first words--I kid you not--was "Jeppy", which has now evolved into "Jeopardy". And I received a video message this morning wishing me well, but saying I should say hi to Alex Trebek for him. So, Henry says hello to you.

Alex: Okay. Say hello back to Henry.

Andy: I will.

Alex: Amanda Bruchs is an attorney from Silver Spring, Maryland, raised in Vermont.

Amanda: That's right.

Alex: Does that mean you're a skier?

Amanda: I am not a skier, Alex. My brother is the skier in the family. So, while I may not ski, I at least know how to milk a cow.

[Laughter]

Alex: You do it by hand or with a milking machine?

Amanda: I have done it by hand before, one--one time.

Alex: Only once?

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: It's a lot of fun.

Amanda: It is, actually.

Alex: You have to clean the udder, put a little shortening or whatever on there, and go to work. Hey, I've done it.

[Laughter]

Alex: I've done it. I know. I know.

Alex: Colby Potter, hero, rescued a lost dog. If you're gonna rescue a dog, you got to pick the right kind of dog. You did that, and tell us about it.

Colby: That's right. My wife, Natalie, and I rescued a--a, uh, Wiener dog, a Dachshund, without a collar. Um, you know, through--through Twitter, through social media, we got connected with the owners. The owners handed us a folded up check, and, you know, we--we graciously refused and then, after the fact, found out that the dog was sponsored by Eukanuba, by Iams. The dog was one of the winningest breeds in all of England. And, uh, you know, we--we learned our lesson--always take the check.

[Laughter]

Alex: And cash it.

Colby: Cash it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Colby had $4,600, Amanda was in the red with -$200, and Andy was at $5,000. Andy wagered $2,000.

MEDICAL HISTORY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Dittrick Medical History Center in Cleveland, OH.) Sometimes during surgery, the heart convulses, loses rhythm & stops pumping blood; Cleveland surgeon Claude beck used cardiac massage & applied electrical current directly to the heart to reverse the phenomenon using this device; those techniques led him to develop CPR
(Andy: Um...)
(Alex: Andy?)
(Andy: The shock machine. I don't know. What is the shock machine?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BATTLES IN THE WAR $1000: St. Albans &
Towton
(near York)
(Colby: What is the War of 1812?)
(Amanda: What is the French and Indian War?)

WHAT'S YOUR NAME? $800: Used to determine perpendicularity:
Plumb ____

WHAT'S YOUR NAME? $1000: A popular tropical aquarium fish:
Black ____

MEDICAL HISTORY $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Dittrick Medical History Center in Cleveland, OH.) 19th-century doctors thought that the brain shrank & grew with use, leaving corresponding contours on the skull, which were read to determine a person's abilities and traits, using the 3-D bust as a reference guide in this pseudo-science

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Colby: $5,000
Andy: $3,000
Amanda: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOTOWN (5/5)
WORLD OF BOOKS (3/5)
MAYORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER (4/5)
CALIFORNIA COUNTIES (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andy: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Amanda: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Colby: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andy snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Colby had $4,200, Amanda had $2,600, and Andy was at $6,600. Andy wagered $2,000.

MAYORS $1200: Mayor Dave Bing had the unhappy task of announcing that this city had declared bankruptcy
(Alex: Yes, that's the city. But they're coming back. They're coming back.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amanda who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Colby had $4,200, Amanda had $5,400, and Andy was at $10,200. Amanda wagered $2,500.

CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS $1200: This church gets its name from the Greek for "fiftieth"
(Amanda: What is the Greek Orthodox Church?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORLD OF BOOKS $1600: "The Queen of Spades" was dealt by this great Alexander & later inspired an opera by Tchaikovsky

WORLD OF BOOKS $2000: Attributed to the sage Valmiki, this epic of India tells the story of an avatar of Vishnu & his many adventures
(Colby: What is the Bhagavad Gita?)
(Andy: What is Gilgamesh, the Epic of Gilgamesh?)

SAME FIRST & LAST LETTER $2000: A magnesium silicate tobacco pipe
(Colby: [Sighs] What is scrimshaw?)
(Alex: Minute to go--less than a minute now, Andy.)

CALIFORNIA COUNTIES $1600: This county shares its name with a 14,000-foot volcano "Mount" that's found nearby

CALIFORNIA COUNTIES $2000: Leapin' amphibians! It takes its name from the Spanish for "skulls"
(Alex: Leapin' amphibians--"The Jumping Frog of [*] County".)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andy: $16,200 (lock game)
Amanda: $4,500
Colby: $4,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Even if you know nothing about Major League Baseball, there are important elements in this clue that will lead you to the correct response. Here is that clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Andy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Amanda: Wager $3,901 to cover Colby.
Colby: Risk between $301 and $3,600, covering Amanda's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This major league team's official colors are Sedona red, Sonoran sand & black

FINAL SCORES
Colby: $4,200 + $4,197 = $8,397 (Who are the AZ Diamondbacks?) (2nd place)
Amanda: $4,500 + $2,000 = $6,500 (Who are the Diamondbacks?) (3rd place)
Andy: $16,200 + $4,000 = $20,200 (Who are the Arizona Diamondbacks?) (New champion: $20,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andy: $17,400, 24 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: $7,000, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Colby: $4,200, 15 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Andy: 25/60 = .417
Colby: 16/58 = .276
Amanda: 11/59 = .186
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
Y BEFORE E $800: One is an affirmative vote in British Parliament & the other, in our Congress; we need both
(Andy: What is "aye"? "Aye-aye"? What is "aye-aye"?)
(Amanda: What is "aye" and "nay"?)

MEDICAL HISTORY $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Dittrick Medical History Center in Cleveland, OH.) At one time a piece of cutting-edge technology, the atomizer sprayed carbolic acid to provide this type of surgical environment, pioneered by Joseph Lister

MEDICAL HISTORY $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Dittrick Medical History Center in Cleveland, OH.) It looks more like an old-fashioned sewing machine, but it's actually a 1920 model of this device that records the electrical activity of the heart

MEDICAL HISTORY $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Dittrick Medical History Center in Cleveland, OH.) An earlier version of the Travenol used a Maytag washing machine as its tank--fitting, as it cleansed waste from a patient's blood, acting as an artificial one of these organs

MOTOWN $1200: "Twistin' Postman" was the Marvelettes' Top 40 follow-up to this No. 1 recording
(Amanda: What is "Mr. Postman"? [*]?)

MAYORS $800: (Alex Trebek reports from the National 9/11 Memorial & Museum in New York.) He was mayor during the decade the National September 11th Memorial Museum was built; he also served as the host for its official May 2014 opening

CALIFORNIA COUNTIES $800: Take your designated driver & sample this county's Chimney Rock & Rutherford Hill wineries
(Amanda: What is Sonoma?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a defibrillator
the Wars of the Roses
Bob
Molly
phrenology
Detroit, Michigan
Pentecostal
Alexander Pushkin
Ramayana
meerschaum
Shasta
Calaveras
the Arizona Diamondbacks
aye & yea
antiseptic (sterile accepted)
EKG (electrocardiogram)
a kidney
"Please Mr. Postman"
Mayor Mike Bloomberg
Napa
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Major League Baseball
This major league team's official colors are sedona red, sonoran sand & black.

Spoiler
Who are the Arizona Diamondbacks?

Andy King: $16,200+$4,000=$20,200...now a 1-day champion with $20,200
Amanda Bruchs: $4,500+$2,000=$6,500
Colby Potter: $4,200+$4,197=$8,397
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Boy, Andy even *looks* like a high school principal!

For the "Plumb ___" clue, I immediately thought. "Oh, plumb line! Wait, "line" isn't a name! Wait, yes it is! It's the French form of Lynn!" I run across it from time to time, possibly the most famous Line in Canada was an RCMP spokeswoman who graced the TVs of news junkies like me for years, I immediately thought of her name when I remembered "Line" was a name. I thought, however, that "Line" wasn't what they were looking for, and clammed as "Bob" wasn't coming to me, but I think I would have had a chance had I rung in with it!

"Anglican church" = "Church of England", correct?

Alex was right, non-sports-guy me got Final without too much help. But I do know a bit about baseball and their recent (? I remember it at least) World Series win keeps the somewhat in the forefront of my mind.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

dhkendall wrote:Alex was right, non-sports-guy me got Final without too much help. But I do know a bit about baseball and their recent (? I remember it at least) World Series win keeps the somewhat in the forefront of my mind.
2001, so depends on your definition of recent.

I was thrown because the clue was screaming Arizona but last I remember checking the Diamondbacks' colors were purple and teal (that hasn't been the case for years, but it's how I remember it). Also the first answer that came to mind was the Albuquerque Isotopes, who aren't in Arizona and aren't a major league team. Fortunately I shook that off and trusted that my memory was outdated and/or faulty and went with the correct answer.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Any semi-knowledgeable golfer has heard plumb bob countless times. Not surprised it was a TS, they didn't look like golfers.

6 clues left in the first round, 2 in the top row, DD unfound. Champ picks one of the clues where the DD is guaranteed not to be. Fantastic. Not to be outdone by the chick next picking the other top row clue. Just sad to see ignorance unfold with tons of money on the line that could have been avoided by a tiny bit of studying.

Grooming for groundskeeping acceptable?

Would love to see a poll question asking if the only reason you got meerschaum pipe was from watching National Treasure.

Alex should not have said what he said before reading the FJ clue. I wonder if he would have done that had the game not already been decided. But still a big LOL at the chick's FJ wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:"Anglican church" = "Church of England", correct?
Not exactly. The Church of England is an Anglican Church, but there are several others (the Anglican Church of Canada, the Church of Scotland, the Episcopal Church in the US, etc.).
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Colby earned 10 times more money today for being a loser than he got yesterday for being the winner! I had 39 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Bob and Molly. I also got two missed Daily Doubles: defibrillator and Pentecostal. Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, once I concentrated on the names and not the colors. For some reason whenever I think of their logo I still picture their old purple and teal even though it's been years.

Well, I wasn't expecting much from the champ, but yikes. At least he finished 2nd and went home with more money than his challengers yesterday. I thought the new champ played well. I didn't realize Kevin O'Leary tried out for regular J!.
brick

Post by brick »

"Chick"? Huh.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

econgator wrote:
Not exactly. The Church of England is an Anglican Church, but there are several others (the Anglican Church of Canada, the Church of Scotland, the Episcopal Church in the US, etc.).
It is true that those churches are part of today's Anglican Communion. That said, the first Anglican Church formed (by Henry VIII) is the Church of England. I think the judges are right to accept either response.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It was nice to see a board that went in my favor after last night's nightmare board. I got some fat Lach trash with "Wars of the Roses," "Pushkin," and "Ramayana."

I was excited for the FJ category, even though I was expecting an easy clue that even a non-baseball fan would get. I would have been a little disappointed to see that clue from first place in a lock game; that was a category and clue is ideal from first place entering FJ in a close game.

I was also going to comment that Andy resembled DHicton's favorite celebrity.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right (40 if "Church of England" is acceptable).

Name (2), Potpourri (5), War (4), Y-E (4), TV (4), Med (1)
Christ (1 or 2), Motown (4), Book (2), Mayor (5), Fd (2), CA (5)

Lach Trash: "Shasta", "Calaveras"

Instaget FJ.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

econgator wrote:
That said, it's inconceivable the judges would neg "Church of England" for a clue where they were looking for "Anglicans," unless it was a "starts with A" or "includes 'can'" type of category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: plumb bob, phrenology, defibrillator, meerschaum, Shasta, Calaveras.

Ran Y Before E.

NHO Carrie Brownstein or Fred Armisen, but I have heard of Sleater-Kinney somehow. Just looked them up and I'm already not a fan.

Oddly, “I Can’t Help Myself” was my only get in Motown. Couldn’t tell you any Supremes song titles, blanked on “I’ll Be There” and the first two words of “Please Mr. Postman”, and outright NHO that Cherie song.

Another oddity was $400 being my only miss in Same First and Last Letter. “Fact, not ‘fiction’” had me go completely in the wrong direction with the TOM. Took it too literally and wondered if there was some literature-based term for the inside of the tooth.

Couldn’t come up with Napa, and NHO Marin.

MLB? I have no chance at — oh wait, Sedona is in Arizona, which has the Diamondbacks.

At least our champ finished second. That would suck for him to have $1,200 over two days, when the second-placer he beat yesterday got $800 more. (That’s actually happened before, if I’m not mistaken. Twice.)
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I noticed Andy looking to the left at the scores near the end of the game and not ringing in on the final when he couldn't be caught. Its nice to see someone who came to play and understands wagering.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I was so excited about the FJ category. I'm a fan of the MLB, but what the what! I was trying to figure out if those names in the colours were places, or what.

Any baseball fans who didn' t get it?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

eureka wrote:I was so excited about the FJ category. I'm a fan of the MLB, but what the what! I was trying to figure out if those names in the colours were places, or what.

Any baseball fans who didn' t get it?
Google Sedona and the Sonoran Desert.
brick

Post by brick »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I noticed Andy looking to the left at the scores near the end of the game and not ringing in on the final when he couldn't be caught. Its nice to see someone who came to play and understands wagering.
I noticed that too. Good for him.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Got the same trash TPH did but missed meerschaum, got Pentecost.
Thought Sausalito was also a county.
Instaget FJ.