Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 1 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 1 Instant Replay Thread

Post by BoK »

Have at it.

ETA: Link to tracker

http://shc2015.gregorygauthier.com/standings.php

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 1 Instant Replay Thread

Post by immaf »

I clammed on a couple of coin flips in Chief Justices. It looks like I would have gotten them right had I pulled the trigger. My race to the bottom starts now.
Teems with quiet fun.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I played the questions my instinct was the 8-pointer would be much easier than the 6-pointer. When I looked at the results I could see there are plenty of people familiar with 1D songs.

On the 15-pointer it's to make italics happen and not <i> on this board. It's the opposite when archiving games and I am always mixing them up.

ACW

Post by ACW »

I got all of the Chief Justices (after answering I googled 2 I wasn't completely sure of; I got both). I clammed all of the "best" ones except the Beatles one; I'm actually proud I clammed the One Direction one :lol:

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I just want to know who's idea it was to make the One Direction one a 6 and not a 10, in the few that I checked 6 seems to be almost always clammed but the rest are usually all answered.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

MarkBarrett wrote:When I played the questions my instinct was the 8-pointer would be much easier than the 6-pointer. When I looked at the results I could see there are plenty of people familiar with 1D songs.
I've actually never heard the song before, but I guessed the title based on the clue and I'm guessing at least some of others who got it right did the same.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

ACW

Post by ACW »

I'm surprised the 10 one for "Best" was that high. I mean, I'm not complaining since it's the only one I got :oops: :lol: but it seems fairly easy.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Those of you complaining about the One Direction valuation obviously don't have pre-teen kids at home :mrgreen:

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

squizzle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:When I played the questions my instinct was the 8-pointer would be much easier than the 6-pointer. When I looked at the results I could see there are plenty of people familiar with 1D songs.
I've actually never heard the song before, but I guessed the title based on the clue and I'm guessing at least some of others who got it right did the same.
Me! Me! (I hope; actually, I haven't checked my answers yet.)

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thank you to everyone who contibuted to this year's SHC!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:Those of you complaining about the One Direction valuation obviously don't have pre-teen kids at home :mrgreen:
I do, and they like some pretty atrocious music - at least my 12 year old daughter does (Arianna Grande, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift). But her tastes aren't *that* bad. (She also doesn't listen to Justin Bieber that I know of either.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
Woof wrote:Those of you complaining about the One Direction valuation obviously don't have pre-teen kids at home :mrgreen:
I do, and they like some pretty atrocious music - at least my 12 year old daughter does (Arianna Grande, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift). But her tastes aren't *that* bad. (She also doesn't listen to Justin Bieber that I know of either.)
Weird Al also put that song into Mandatory Fun's polka medley, that's how I knew it.

(Friend of mine was amused I was able to drop part of Jamie Foxx's "Blame It" until I pointed out it was part of one of Al's medley's.)

Apparently I did a good job confusing 'Connecticut' for 'Texas' (Also 'Griswold' for 'Lawrence') I'm sure it's a common mistake, though.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'd also be in favor of making the 1D question worth 10. It would get me more points, certainly! ;) I don't really listen to them, but I do listen to pop radio, and I also follow the Billboard Hot 100. I'm mad at myself for clamming on best boy, though. I thought that might be the answer, but I convinced myself I was confusing it for best man.

Back to another month of getting my ass whooped. It's great to be back!

(Also, heelsrule1988, if you're reading this, I'M COMING FOR YOU! It's on this year! I will not finish last!)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:I will not finish last!
Hey now! I'm still playing, you know!

Lampy

Post by Lampy »

That went well. Agree on the valuation issues in "Best."

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

A grocery chain around here is apparently celebrating SHC. One of this week's specials is a dozen cherrystone clams for $3.99--an incredibly low price for someplace 600 miles from the nearest ocean.

Kidding aside, many thanks to the crew that got SHC up and running this year. Ye olde mind needs trivia stimulation during the hiatus.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Blue Lion wrote:A grocery chain around here is apparently celebrating SHC. One of this week's specials is a dozen cherrystone clams for $3.99--an incredibly low price for someplace 600 miles from the nearest ocean.

Kidding aside, many thanks to the crew that got SHC up and running this year. Ye olde mind needs trivia stimulation during the hiatus.
A dozen would only last me a day in this game ...

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I'm frightened by how well I *think* that round went. I'm afraid of a spectacular crash-and-burn tomorrow.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I clammed on the 6-pointer in Chief Justices, thinking I'd regret it. I just googled the answer I would have given, and I would have been wrong. Always nice to find out I know exactly as little as I thought. Is that what a "known unknown" is? I clammed on the last two because I'd have been wildly-assed guessing.

I'm also wondering if being from CT means I should have known that one. I'll find out at the reveal!

I've heard of that 1D song, but I don't think I've ever actually heard it. Here's a cover of one of their other songs...

EDIT: And thanks to everyone who makes this possible!