Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Suze »

It didn't look like a q at all for Elaine. Unfortunate, but the answer came too late and she was cut off mid-penning.

Fantastic game for Joon. Can't say that I'm that surprised, since I knew the outcome already but it sure was a pleasure to watch. :)

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

alietr wrote:The funny thing on the DD was that I calculated the answer, but then double-checked it as if me getting it right was crucial for Joon.
Like!

That wager was indeed gutsy. I would have recognized the opportunity to bet big, but if I had a total equivalent to Joon's, I'd have stopped well short of halfway.

Slightly off topic: I used Vanya's "neutrino walks into a bar" joke at a social gathering and caused one guy to bust out guffawing, and also got nine blank stares. I think I know whom to badger into taking next January's online test.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

What if Joon could have broke up Megan's run in Emmy's to play the DD there? Glee seems quite gettable, so he could have doubled up even more in the Plus 8 category.

I always like to share the methods on math type DDs, since I always do them in a strange way. 370 x 2 = 740 would seem to be the quickest to split the 8 and add 4 to each 366? Me? I did 360 x 2 = 720, plus 6 doubled = 12 to account for the leap year and 732 + 8 = 740.

Joon recognized a prime doubling opportunity and I applaud him for following through so well on the play.

If Elaine realized the correct response too late as it seems would the judges have taken the shortcut of Traf. Sq.? It's only a $1000, but it's still $1000 and that has to hurt.

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Congrats to Joon! I've tangled with him before on the quizbowl circuit and he's a hell of a player. Glad to see him rockin the show.

DD in a calculation category for him? That's a low hanging curveball if I've ever seen one. Speaking of baseball, I think Chekhov would play outfield like Dave Winfield ;)

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

RCraig wrote:Congrats to Joon! I've tangled with him before on the quizbowl circuit and he's a hell of a player. Glad to see him rockin the show.

DD in a calculation category for him? That's a low hanging curveball if I've ever seen one. Speaking of baseball, I think Chekhov would play outfield like Dave Winfield ;)
You might have seen him last week, but no one can say too much about the TofC yet, eventhough you're a lock to be in it :) Alex forgot your one day record there for a bit though :)

RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Oh yeah, about the record thing: Although I might expect him to know the amount (and maybe... possibly the contestant), I'm not surprised that he didn't. He's 71, on pain meds I would bet for his tendon injury, and he probably just doesn't care about J! minutiae (I probably wouldn't if I were him), so it's really not surprising.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I always like to share the methods on math type DDs, since I always do them in a strange way. 370 x 2 = 740 would seem to be the quickest to split the 8 and add 4 to each 366? Me? I did 360 x 2 = 720, plus 6 doubled = 12 to account for the leap year and 732 + 8 = 740.
My first pass was simply (366 x 2) + 8. Then I did a second check with (365 x 2) + 2 + 8. I did a third check using your method.

I clapped loudly when Joon said the magic words. That's exactly what I would have done in the same circumstances.

I also think that Elaine was shafted out of $1k.

And Platinum is Pt, Alex, not P.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

thanks everyone!
alietr wrote:And I was waiting for his second baseman to show up in DJ. That would have been funny.
no, but my former catcher (arthur miller), 4th outfielder (kushner), and DH (hellman) came up. also shaw (a pitcher i traded away loooong ago) and beckett (a terrible-hitting OF with a great glove who i cut a few seasons back), but i didn't ring in in time. so yeah, i was happy to see that category, let me tell you. (especially after finally escaping guest emmy/will & kate hell.)

about the math category ... yeah, i was feeling dumb for having messed one up, but i was a bit careless. did i make up for it later? ;)
MarkBarrett wrote:What if Joon could have broke up Megan's run in Emmy's to play the DD there? Glee seems quite gettable, so he could have doubled up even more in the Plus 8 category.
mark, if by some miracle i'd found a DD in the emmys category, you would have seen something much rarer than a TDD: the $5 wager.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

If I'm judge, that was 'q' enough for me. Odd call, I thought.

A lot of verry easy FJs so far this season; I really think the boards have been easier by a few degrees than last year with one or two exceptions. My Coryats have been consistently north of 40, well above last year.

All props to Joon, but I think it's somewhat bad form on the part of the show to hinge a game on a virtually unmissable clue in a category that has made clear its unmissabillity. Simple arithmetic!! That being said, great call, Joon, to have the nerve to pull the trigger. And another all around great game. Best of continued fortune.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:My heart skipped a beat when Joon had Sq for his question, but it was acceptable.
I doubt Joon would have risked anything to put his lock in jeopardy ...
boson wrote:I would never have though Chekov would play second base: seems like a catcher to me.
Salinger is the catcher! Duh!
boson wrote:On the final I had Trafalgar Square instantly, but then spent the next 29 seconds second guessing myself: is it Trafalgar Square? Circus? Circle? I left it at Square, but I definitely sympathize with Elaine.
I wonder if "Nelson's Column" would have been accepted (that was *my* 29 seconds of second guessing: "I tell ya, if it turns out that 'Nelson's Column' is the intended answer, I'm still counting my 'Trafalgar Square' as correct ... "

Speaking of ruling on one phrase over the given one, would "amphitheatre" be acceptable in Ancient Greece $1200 for "theatre"? (Please no comments on how it wouldn't because the spelling is different, that's just deflecting it away from the fact that it's your country that consistently misspells "theatre", not ours. ;) )
econgator wrote:And Platinum is Pt, Alex, not P.
I think he was referring to the "P" in quotation marks in the clue, that's what I took from it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Largest TDD ever (save for the pre-doubling $9,500 TDD in one of the international tournaments)? The moment the DD made itself known, I said, "True Daily Double!" Just like in Roger's first game, the category proved itself to be a cinch well before the DD was revealed, and it's just a matter of trusting oneself to deliver once you hit it. Well done, Joon!

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

legendneverdies wrote:The only shots of the set seen in this week's promo at the Sony J! site, show Chris as the champ, from what I could see(they showed a wide shot of the set in both cases). No other games were spoiled this week.
It shows Joon wearing a different outfit than he wears in his Howdy, so it was spoiled that he won at least one game. (A couple friends of mine picked up on the same thing in my week's video). I don't remember if it was the same outfit he was wearing today, so am not sure if it contains further spoilers (though I think it is a shot from after the math miss)

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I was hoping that the FJ category would be "Adding Numbers In Your Head".

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

RCraig wrote:DD in a calculation category for him? That's a low hanging curveball if I've ever seen one.
Kind of like a "name the element from its symbol" category? ;)

earendel

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: to Joon for his performance and :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for going all in on the mathematical DD.

:? for Elaine - I thought her answer looked like Sq to me, but apparently the answer came to her too late for her to complete the word "square". I think it was a bad call on the part of the judges.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While meaning this in the least offensive fashion possible since I know what it can be like up there, Elaine's FJ response reminds me of Vincent Vega's line in Pulp Fiction in the restaurant: ""Jules, you give that ____in' nimrod $1500 and I'll shoot him on general principle." There's no way she should have still been writing at the pens down time; it should have been instant. I gotta imagine this is going to poll very high. I think they half-dinged the "Sq." for that. And to me, it didn't look at all like a 'q'. Anyone got the screen capture?

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

That's not a Q. She started to write a second letter but didn't get far. It stinks for her, as clearly it would've been correct, but them's the breaks. :(

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thanks, Suze that ain't no Q.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i respectfully disagree. it doesn't look like the rest of her handwriting, but to me, the fact that it could conceivably be interpreted as a complete q (lowercase, squished up, tilted) means i'd have given her the benefit of the doubt. it's really tough to write clearly with those pens.

as somebody who recently won the "worst handwriting" prize at a crossword tournament, i have a lot of sympathy for elaine. $1000 isn't chump change, and i think she got hosed. if they'd given her credit for it, would megan have any kind of grounds for complaint? i'm thinking no.
Last edited by jpahk on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

In general the boards have been more difficult this season, for me anyway. But I hate easy FJs like we've had recently. And nothing against Joon, but I hate it when they put the DD in a category like + 8. It's a given that you're going to have lots of time, how could you miss?