Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

Rex Kramer wrote:
jpahk wrote:a) it didn't occur to me when i wagered that there might be anything other than straightforward arithmetic, and b) everybody knows how many days are in a leap year anyway. so it was just a gift.
You know who would have gotten that clue wrong? Watson.

Rex
Agreed. I once witnessed Watson responding to "1,800 seconds before 8:11 AM" with "What is FM?"

dirck_hals
Contributor
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by dirck_hals »

reddpen wrote: So you have.
Of some interest to this board, I count 21 20 19 former and one current contestant on that list.
8 Champs
1 College Champ
and 3 KJ victims!
Last edited by dirck_hals on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jeff6286 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
jpahk wrote:a) it didn't occur to me when i wagered that there might be anything other than straightforward arithmetic, and b) everybody knows how many days are in a leap year anyway. so it was just a gift.
You know who would have gotten that clue wrong? Watson.

Rex
Watson: "What is Leap Year, the 2010 American romantic comedy starring Amy Adams, Matthew Goode, Adam Scott, John Lithgow, and Kaitlin Olson; rated PG, released January 8th, runtime 100 minutes, budget $19,000,000, domestic box office $25,918,920, worldwide box office $32,607,316, Casting by Nina Gold, Cinematographer by Newton Thomas Sigel, Best Boy Micheal O'Mogáin...

Alex: "Ooh, sorry Watson, so close, but we were looking for 740."

User avatar
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 pm
Location: Mesquite, NV

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by tagNV »

omgwheelhouse wrote:This might have been said already, but I looked up that Joon finished 15th at the last American Crossword Puzz. Tourn. Very impressed. Have any other crossword people gotten on J?
Yes, most recently Janet Bradlow, who finished 126th at the last ACPT and won 3 games in Season 26. Also John Beck (who I've actually met), finished 52nd at the last ACPT (and was wicked awesome on the dreaded Puzzle 5) and was the last J! contestant to win a Jaguar (Season 19).

Among constructors, Andrea Carla Michaels had one game in Season 4 (which she's still trying to forget) and now-retired constructor Maura Jacobsen apparently won some games on the Art Fleming version of the show.

I'm sure there are others I'm not currently aware of.

While here, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the late J! clue writer Steven Dorfman, who got 4 puzzles in the NY Times, including one that referred to that day's J! broadcast.

—Todd (who is technically in the pool...but come on, you think they'd want me so soon after Joon?)

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by legendneverdies »

tagNV wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:This might have been said already, but I looked up that Joon finished 15th at the last American Crossword Puzz. Tourn. Very impressed. Have any other crossword people gotten on J?
Yes, most recently Janet Bradlow, who finished 126th at the last ACPT and won 3 games in Season 26. Also John Beck (who I've actually met), finished 52nd at the last ACPT (and was wicked awesome on the dreaded Puzzle 5) and was the last J! contestant to win a Jaguar (Season 19).

Among constructors, Andrea Carla Michaels had one game in Season 4 (which she's still trying to forget) and now-retired constructor Maura Jacobsen apparently won some games on the Art Fleming version of the show.
Ken Jennings appeared in the crossword tourney a few years ago, and Alex mentioned it when another cruciverbalist was on the show.

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jpahk »

i didn't realize until my shows started airing how many of my crossword friends had been on the show. in addition to those already mentioned, ben bass was a 3-time champ in 2002, katie hamill was a 1-time champ in '03, dan katz (not the season 6 champ but the season 26 math professor), jeffrey schwartz (season 23), ellen ripstein was apparently on the show way back when (not archived, and i don't know how many shows she was on), amy goldstein (ditto)... probably others i can't think of right now.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Rex Kramer »

tagNV wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote:This might have been said already, but I looked up that Joon finished 15th at the last American Crossword Puzz. Tourn. Very impressed. Have any other crossword people gotten on J?
Yes, most recently Janet Bradlow, who finished 126th at the last ACPT and won 3 games in Season 26. Also John Beck (who I've actually met), finished 52nd at the last ACPT (and was wicked awesome on the dreaded Puzzle 5) and was the last J! contestant to win a Jaguar (Season 19).

Among constructors, Andrea Carla Michaels had one game in Season 4 (which she's still trying to forget) and now-retired constructor Maura Jacobsen apparently won some games on the Art Fleming version of the show.

I'm sure there are others I'm not currently aware of.
Ouch. Todd. That hurts. :(

Rex

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Rex Kramer »

jpahk wrote:i didn't realize until my shows started airing how many of my crossword friends had been on the show. in addition to those already mentioned, ben bass was a 3-time champ in 2002, katie hamill was a 1-time champ in '03, dan katz (not the season 6 champ but the season 26 math professor), jeffrey schwartz (season 23), ellen ripstein was apparently on the show way back when (not archived, and i don't know how many shows she was on), amy goldstein (ditto)... probably others i can't think of right now.
Stella Daily from May '06 is usually a competitive ACPT participant.

And of course there are those who appeared on Merv Griffin's Crosswords (Michael Falk, Brendan Pimper, Jeff Suchard, Ellyn Ritterskamp, etc.)

Rex

User avatar
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 pm
Location: Mesquite, NV

Sorry, Rex, my bad

Post by tagNV »

RK:

:oops:

I was focused on those who attended the last ACPT (particularly those who were competitive...unlike, say, me, who played as a noncompetitor and would've finished in bottom quartile I'm sure...but this isn't about me), since omg's question related to Joon's success at the last ACPT. Also on constructors who've been published in places I have (but note both Andrea and Maura have also (co-)constructed puzzles for the ACPT itself).

But absolutely you deserve to be mentioned in this group: you cryptic crossword folk are so far beyond my solving skills I wouldn't be surprised if you were telepathic.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Sorry, Rex, my bad

Post by Rex Kramer »

tagNV wrote:RK:

:oops:

I was focused on those who attended the last ACPT (particularly those who were competitive...unlike, say, me, who played as a noncompetitor and would've finished in bottom quartile I'm sure...but this isn't about me), since omg's question related to Joon's success at the last ACPT. Also on constructors who've been published in places I have (but note both Andrea and Maura have also (co-)constructed puzzles for the ACPT itself).

But absolutely you deserve to be mentioned in this group: you cryptic crossword folk are so far beyond my solving skills I wouldn't be surprised if you were telepathic.
No worries; I was just jokin' with you. I haven't been to ACPT for over 5 years, anyway.

Rex

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by legendneverdies »

Rex Kramer wrote:
jpahk wrote:i didn't realize until my shows started airing how many of my crossword friends had been on the show. in addition to those already mentioned, ben bass was a 3-time champ in 2002, katie hamill was a 1-time champ in '03, dan katz (not the season 6 champ but the season 26 math professor), jeffrey schwartz (season 23), ellen ripstein was apparently on the show way back when (not archived, and i don't know how many shows she was on), amy goldstein (ditto)... probably others i can't think of right now.
Stella Daily from May '06 is usually a competitive ACPT participant.

And of course there are those who appeared on Merv Griffin's Crosswords (Michael Falk, Brendan Pimper, Jeff Suchard, Ellyn Ritterskamp, etc.)

Rex
Stanley Newman won I think seven or eight games on the Challengers in 1990, including their first TofC, winning over $112K, but being in a negative on the last day and not being a part of the Final Challenge. Ellen Ripstein became a writer/researcher on Syndie BAM, not sure if she still is though.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Rex Kramer »

legendneverdies wrote:Ellen Ripstein became a writer/researcher on Syndie BAM, not sure if she still is though.
Not just the syndicated version -- she worked on the original version not from the beginning, but pretty early on. She is no longer with them now.

Rex

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by legendneverdies »

Rex Kramer wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Ellen Ripstein became a writer/researcher on Syndie BAM, not sure if she still is though.
Not just the syndicated version -- she worked on the original version not from the beginning, but pretty early on. She is no longer with them now.

Rex
The ABC primetime run only had one full credit roll not that wasn't split screen with ABC promos IIRC, it was during the November 1999 series.

Post Reply