TD 256: Powers of Two

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

dnbguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 256: Powers of Two

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Welcome to TD 256! Since 256 is equal to 2^8, I figured it would be fun to do a TD with questions related to some of the powers of two. If math isn't your strongest subject, don't worry, there's only one math question on here. These are the rules (pay attention to 3 and 4 even if you've played TDs before):

1. Please submit answers using this link. The deadline for submissions will be Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:00 PM EDT. Do not post the answers in this thread!
2. The object of the game is to answer the following trivia questions and score the fewest points. Each question has multiple answers. If you give a correct response, your base score for that question will be equal to the total number of players who gave that response. If you give an incorrect response, your base score for that question will be equal to the highest scoring correct response (the SHEEP score) plus 5.
3. There are 16 questions, divided into eight pairs. For one question in each pair, your final score will be equal to the base score from rule 2. For the other question, your final score will be double the base score from rule 2. You may select which question in each pair you wish to have doubled.
4. You may DROP up to two questions. Dropping a question results in a score of 0. Of the two questions you DROP, you may only use one as a question to be doubled (see rule 3).
5. Don't cheat! You may not intentionally look up information to answer these questions.
6. Ties will be broken by order of submission. You may resubmit answers as many times as you wish before the deadline, provided that you have not looked up the answers. Your final submission will be used to break ties.

Good luck!

dnbguy

Re: TD 256: Powers of Two

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Question 2A: I promised only one math question, and here it is. Two is the only even number that is also a prime. Name any prime number less than 1000 whose most significant digit (first digit) is 2.

Question 2B: They’re number two! Name one of these songs that peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. If the song title appears in the lyrics, it has been replaced with an asterisk.
SpoilerShow
• “You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain / Too much love drives a man insane / You broke my will, oh what a thrill / Goodness gracious, *” (1957)
• “A fine young girl, she waits for me / Catch a ship across the sea / Sail that ship about, all alone / Never know if I make it home” (1963)
• “How does it feel, how does it feel? / To be on your own, with no direction home / Like a complete unknown, *” (1965)
• “So * / Where the dogs of society howl / You can’t plant me in your penthouse / I’m going back to my plough” (1973)
• “I wasn’t looking but somehow you found me / I tried to hide from your love light / But like Heaven above me / The spy who loved me / Is keeping all my secrets safe tonight” (1977)
• “Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me / I think they’re OK / If they don’t give me proper credit / I just walk away” (1984)
• “It’s like this and like that and like this and uh / It’s like that and like this and like that and uh / It’s like this and like that and like this and uh / Dre, creep to the mic like a phantom” (1992)
• “* I run to / The one that I belong to / * I want for love / * that I love / The only one I dream of / * I kiss good night” (1997)
• “Is it worth it, let me * / I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I” (2002)
• “Does that make me *? / Does that make me *? / Does that make me *? / Possibly” (2006)
• “I want your loving and I want your revenge / You and me could write a * / I want your love and all your lover’s revenge / You and me could write a *” (2009)
• “낮에는 따사로운 인간적인 여자 / 커피 한잔의 여유를 아는 품격 있는 여자 / 밤이 오면 심장이 뜨거워지는 여자 / 그런 반전 있는 여자” (2012)
Question 4A:It's time 4 some science! Sorry for the lame pun there. Name either a) one of the four states of matter, b) one of the four fundamental forces, c) one of the four DNA nucleobases, or d) one of the four largest moons of Jupiter (the Galilean moons).

Question 4B: Listed below are several very popular movie franchises. Give the full name of the fourth movie released chronologically in one of the franchises below. The year of release is included as a hint.
SpoilerShow
• James Bond (1965)
• Star Trek (1986)
• Superman (1987)
• Alien (1997)
• Star Wars (1999)
• Harry Potter (2005)
• Die Hard (2007)
• Indiana Jones (2008)
• Terminator (2009)
• Pirates of the Caribbean (2011)
• Mission Impossible (2011)
• Jurassic Park (2015)
Question 8A: It's time for a food and drink question (insert an eight/ate pun of your choosing here). Name either a) one of the eight vegetable juices in V8, or b) one of the eight ingredients in a Long Island Iced Tea according to International Bartenders Association.

Question 8B: Henry VIII ruled as King of England from 1509 to 1547. Name either a) the father of Henry VIII, b) one of his six wives, or c) one of his three children who became monarch of England.

Question 16A: The relationship between the following question and the number 16 is left as an exercise: Name any movie written by John Hughes that premiered in US theaters from 1981 – 1990.

Question 16B: Teenagers celebrating their Sweet Sixteen this year were born in 1999. In their honor, answer one of the following questions about the events of 1999.
SpoilerShow
• January 10: This drama starring James Gandolfini premieres on HBO
• February 23: This rapper releases “The Slim Shady LP”
• March 21: This movie wins Best Picture at the 71st Academy Awards
• April 18: This hockey player records his 2,857th point in his final game in the NHL
• May 17: This man is elected Prime Minister of Israel
• June 1: This peer-to-peer file sharing service developed by John Fanning, Shawn Fanning, and Sean Parker is launched
• July 10: This woman kicks the game winning penalty kick to win the 1999 Women’s World Cup for the United States
• August 16: The first episode of the American version of this game show airs on ABC
• September 11: This woman wins the US Open, the first of her 21 (and counting) Women’s Singles Grand Slam titles
• October 12: According to the United Nations Population Fund, the world population reaches this milestone
• November 30: This oil company worth $81 billion is formed after the Federal Trade Commission approves a merger of two smaller companies
• December 31: This man resigns as President of Russia
Question 32A: The 32nd president of the United States was Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Elected to four terms, he served from 1933 - 1945. Name either a) someone who has appeared on a presidential ticket with FDR, b) one of the Republican candidates FDR defeated in his presidential campaigns, or c) one of his Supreme Court appointees.

Question 32B: Sports teams will occasionally retire the number of one of their star players. The following teams have all retired the number 32. Name the player for whom the number 32 is retired. Their years with the team are listed, as well as their position. All players are currently in their respective sport’s Hall of Fame.
SpoilerShow
• Cleveland Browns: Running Back, 1957 – 1965
• Los Angeles Dodgers: Pitcher 1955 - 1966
• Philadelphia Phillies: Pitcher, 1972 – 1986
• Philadelphia 76ers: Forward/Center, 1965 – 1972, 1974 – 1975
• Brooklyn Nets: Small Forward, 1973 – 1976
• Portland Trailblazers: Center, 1974 – 1978
• Los Angeles Lakers: Point Guard, 1979 – 1991, 1996
• Boston Celtics: Power Forward/Center, 1980 – 1993
• Utah Jazz: Power Forward, 1985 – 2003
Question 64A: The Nintendo 64 gaming system was released in the United States in September 1996. Name any Nintendo 64 game that sold at least 1.5 million copies in the US, according to The Magic Box’s list of platinum-selling video games. Helpful hint: no game in the Mario Party franchise reached this milestone.

Question 64B: Another question with a mystery relationship: Name a song from the album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles.

Question 128A: The final question with a mystery relationship: Name any station serviced by Amtrak’s Acela Express route.

Question 128B: In America, you can write January 28 (1/28) or December 8 (12/8) as 128. Answer one of the following questions based on events that took place on either January 28 or December 8.
SpoilerShow
• January 28, 1813: This novel, Jane Austen’s second, is first published in the United Kingdom
• January 28, 1915: The US Congress establishes this branch of the armed services, placing it under the Department of the Treasury
• January 28, 1956: This entertainer makes his first television appearance on CBS’s Stage Show
• January 28, 1958: This company files patent DK92683C in Denmark for a toy block
• January 28, 1965: This country’s Parliament passes a law establishing their national flag, designed by George Stanley of the Royal Military College
• January 28, 1986: This schoolteacher from Concord, NH is killed after the Space Shuttle Challenger explodes 73 seconds into its flight
• December 8, 1813: This composer’s 7th Symphony premieres in Vienna
• December 8, 1953: Dwight Eisenhower delivers a speech with this three-word title to the United Nations General Assembly on the future of nuclear technology
• December 8, 1974: A referendum in this country rejects reinstating King Constantine II as head of state
• December 8, 1980: John Lennon is murdered outside of this cooperative building in New York City
• December 8, 1991: The leaders of Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine establish this organization as a successor to the Soviet Union
• December 8, 2010: This company’s Dragon capsule becomes the first private spacecraft to launch, orbit the earth, and be successfully recovered
Question 256A: 256 is the area code for northern Alabama. Name one of the following people, all of whom were either born in northern Alabama, or lived there for a significant period of time.
SpoilerShow
• Cofounder of Wikipedia, founder of the Wikimedia Foundation
• German aerospace engineer, “Father of Rocket Science” according to NASA
• Actress who plays Jessie in the Disney Channel show of the same name
• First African-American woman in space
• Current San Diego Chargers quarterback, the 4th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft
• Star, writer, and producer of the webseries The Guild
• Actress who portrayed Connie Porter in Alfred Hitchcock’s Lifeboat
• First deaf and blind woman to obtain a B.A. degree, subject of the play The Miracle Worker
• Comedienne and frequent panelist on Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me who released has two albums titled I Heart Jokes
• One of the first African-Americans to be admitted to the University of Alabama, he and Vivian Malone were personally blocked from enrolling by Governor George Wallace
• Current closer for the San Diego Padres, his 186 saves as a member of the Atlanta Braves are a club record
Question 256B: Name a UN member state that a) has English as an official language AND b) has at least one house of the national legislature with at least 256 members. Helpful hint: English is NOT an official language of the United States.
Last edited by dnbguy on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:30 pm

CLARIFICATIONS

For question 4B, I am looking for the full name of the movie.
Last edited by dnbguy on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:32 pm

ENTRANTS

geolawyerman
MarkBarrett
Gamawire
9021amyers
sarisson
cf22
Vermonter
patkav
Category 13
Abraxas

steppenwolf
quarterrican
Ryno
immaf
Blue Lion
Peggles
jeffwolfe
ElendilPickle
Rackme32
Peachbox

dinghammer
Caboom
dhkendall
nightreign
MitchO
econgator
clprez
soxfan99
mahatma
tjconn728

sillymonkey
Realdeo
brainpower
coolcah36
goforthetie
Bamaman
BigDaddyMatty
colonialrampage
Tabby
kebert.xela

goatman - check PM!
dott888
dragonscale333 - check PM!
barandall800
Tigershark
Last edited by dnbguy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 20 times in total.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:29 pm

dnbguy wrote: Question 4B: Listed below are several very popular movie franchises. Name the fourth movie released chronologically in one of the franchises below. The year of release is included as a hint.
SpoilerShow
• James Bond (1965)
• Star Trek (1986)
• Superman (1987)
• Alien (1997)
• Star Wars (1999)
• Harry Potter (2005)
• Die Hard (2007)
• Indiana Jones (2008)
• Terminator (2009)
• Jurassic Park (2015)
I assume that we have to give the full name of the movie? For example, if one of them was "A Nightmare On Elm Street (1988)", we can't just answer "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4", we have to answer "A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:05 pm

dhkendall wrote:
dnbguy wrote: Question 4B: Listed below are several very popular movie franchises. Name the fourth movie released chronologically in one of the franchises below. The year of release is included as a hint.
SpoilerShow
• James Bond (1965)
• Star Trek (1986)
• Superman (1987)
• Alien (1997)
• Star Wars (1999)
• Harry Potter (2005)
• Die Hard (2007)
• Indiana Jones (2008)
• Terminator (2009)
• Jurassic Park (2015)
I assume that we have to give the full name of the movie? For example, if one of them was "A Nightmare On Elm Street (1988)", we can't just answer "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4", we have to answer "A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master"?
Correct.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:13 pm

dnbguy wrote:• “Is it worth it, let me * / I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I” (2002)
esrever!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:20 pm

dnbguy wrote:ENTRANTS

geolawyerman
Gamawire
9021amyers
sarisson - check PM!
I sent my entry in hours before the time listed for the last edit. Did something happen because I did not click the box wanting a PM with my entry?

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:51 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
dnbguy wrote:ENTRANTS

geolawyerman
Gamawire
9021amyers
sarisson - check PM!
I sent my entry in hours before the time listed for the last edit. Did something happen because I did not click the box wanting a PM with my entry?
It's not listed in the Google Docs - I probably screwed something up. Could you resubmit? Sorry about that - I can backdate it to when you actually submitted.
Vermonter wrote:
dnbguy wrote:• “Is it worth it, let me * / I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I / Ti esrever dna ti pilf nwod gniht ym tup I” (2002)
esrever!
I hadn't realized what esrever's name meant until I saw that lyric as I was putting this together. Someone should make a TD themed after all of his accounts - maybe next time...

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Okay, I resubmitted my answers. I'm glad I had them written on paper to make it easy to do them again. This time I clicked to send me a PM in case that caused the glitch. I don't know exactly when I sent my entry this afternoon although I was working on it when the small quake occurred that was at 1:33 p.m PDT. Let's call it 2 p.m. PDT.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:45 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, I resubmitted my answers. I'm glad I had them written on paper to make it easy to do them again. This time I clicked to send me a PM in case that caused the glitch. I don't know exactly when I sent my entry this afternoon although I was working on it when the small quake occurred that was at 1:33 p.m PDT. Let's call it 2 p.m. PDT.
I have your answers now. Don't know why it didn't work the first time around. Oh well.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 pm

dnbguy wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, I resubmitted my answers. I'm glad I had them written on paper to make it easy to do them again. This time I clicked to send me a PM in case that caused the glitch. I don't know exactly when I sent my entry this afternoon although I was working on it when the small quake occurred that was at 1:33 p.m PDT. Let's call it 2 p.m. PDT.
I have your answers now. Don't know why it didn't work the first time around. Oh well.
Thanks. I always try to get my answers in earlier than later especially when it matters for the tiebreaker. I would not want to miss out on a good prize at the end by dropping a spot or two. :)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:04 am

I will give everyone a hint right now and say that I am not an answer for 256A.

Caboom

Post by Caboom » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:17 am

Bamaman wrote:I will give everyone a hint right now and say that I am not an answer for 256A.
Ah, trying to get a singleton? You're not fooling me.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:58 am

Note: The TD queue has gotten awfully thin. PM me here to sign up and keep the TD tradition alive.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Question 32B answer is my all-time favorite ball player.

Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Question 32B answer is my all-time favorite ball player.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:38 am

Sorry about the triple submission -- I temporarily forgot how to add, thought I'd made a huge mistake, then realized I hadn't. Benadryl is a hell of a drug...

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Bump. 22 entries in so far! I have sent responses to everyone who has asked for them. If you submitted your answers but don't see your name on the entrants list, let me know.

dnbguy

Post by dnbguy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:21 am

Another bump. Keep the submissions coming!