Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

Post by nightreign »

ACW wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
Why not guess? You have a positive expected value on a coin flip.
No you don't.

Got 2 and 4 (and probably should've gotten Love Field); CLAMmed the rest. I knew Antietam; didn't know that wasn't it's real name.
Antietam is generally what it's called in the North. In the South, the battle is generally referred to as Sharpsburg. Manassas/Bull Run is another battle that has two different names.

Edit: Whoops, Blue Lion beat me to it. Oh well.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

ACW wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
No you don't.
A correct answer is +12. Unless the rules have changed this year, a wrong answer is -4. If you have a 50% chance then your expected value is +4.

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Blue Lion wrote:
ACW wrote:Got 2 and 4 (and probably should've gotten Love Field); CLAMmed the rest. I knew Antietam; didn't know that wasn't it's real name.
The North and South had different naming conventions for battles. Antietam was the creek where the battle was fought, Sharpsburg was the town. The National Battlefield is called "Antietam."
Also, Manassas (Junction; South) vs Bull Run (Creek; North), etc. It makes sense, as each side would have a different objective at many battles. History is written by the victors.

Shiloh (Southern name; Federal = Pittsburg Landing) is the only battle where I think of the Southern name as the 'main' one.

***I will refer to this as the 'Battle of Comment Cluster'.

ACW

Post by ACW »

Blue Lion wrote:
ACW wrote:Got 2 and 4 (and probably should've gotten Love Field); CLAMmed the rest. I knew Antietam; didn't know that wasn't it's real name.
The North and South had different naming conventions for battles. Antietam was the creek where the battle was fought, Sharpsburg was the town. The National Battlefield is called "Antietam."
Ah. Thanks.

EDIT:
goforthetie wrote:
ACW wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
No you don't.
A correct answer is +12. Unless the rules have changed this year, a wrong answer is -4. If you have a 50% chance then your expected value is +4.
Ah, I was thinking LITERALLY for a coin flip :oops:

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

mahatma wrote:Am I the only one who has to sketch a piano keyboard to figure out notes in a musical scale?
I did the same.
tjconn728 wrote:
BoK wrote: 6: In Mille Bornes, the "Puncture Proof" card makes your side immune from this hazard.
This question was complete gibberish to me. (Which of course did not prevent me from guessing "sharp objects." At least I was not alone though.) Is Mille Bornes a popular game? I've never heard of it until today.
It was gibberish to me too. Fortunately I didn't try guessing.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

mahatma wrote:Am I the only one who has to sketch a piano keyboard to figure out notes in a musical scale?

Really, only a major scale because I can use C-major as a template.
I had to use the actual keyboard that's next to me and transpose a C-major scale, which is probably worse, as far as things-I-should-know are concerned.

Relevant song.

I was also going to link to the Bob the Angry Flower strip about Mille Bornes, but I couldn't find it.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

dinghammer wrote:

I had to use the actual keyboard that's next to me and transpose a C-major scale, which is probably worse, as far as things-I-should-know are concerned.
Uh, wouldn't that be cheating?

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

In an awful coincidence, the second #6 happened to me today for the first time ever. :x It doesn't necessarily take a "sharp object" to cause the answer; sometimes it can be a long screw.
Hoping for a third lap

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

whatisbishkek wrote:
dinghammer wrote:

Are you joking?

Are you saying looking at an actual keyboard is cheating, but drawing one isn't? Or they both are?

Should I not enter TD256 because I figured out all the prime numbers on my own instead of memorizing them beforehand?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:Ugh. Sharpsburg was my first instinct but I convinced myself that "Sharpsville, Maryland" sounded so much better.
You aren't the only one. :(
Ryno wrote:
9021amyers wrote:The order of presidents which I can recall immediately has a big gap between Madison and Lincoln, but knowing that two of the presidents in the ballpark of #11 died in office (and veeps weren't replaced back then) narrowed the options to the 8-spot clue down to the correct answer.
For me the gap is between Tyler and Buchanan. I had that "Simpsons" song "Mediocre Presidents" playing in my head the whole time. I just need a good way of remembering those guys.
For my efforts, I've been trying to memorize the video below, and it's actually been a pretty good help (although I don't see it as much of a help at Culver City, as there's not enough time to run through the sone and pull up the required president, but hopefully I'll get to that point before I need to. It was just a matter of skipping to the "Martin van Buren, number 8" part and counting from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvy0wRLD5s8
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

whatisbishkek wrote:
dinghammer wrote:
If I'd thought it was cheating, I wouldn't have said anything done it in the first place.

We're on the honor system here. I don't think sketching out a chunk of keyboard, and knowing that C-major is all naturals, rises to the level of shenanigans. That is how I did it, and if the judges no likey, they can ding me for it.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

dinghammer wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote:
dinghammer wrote:

Are you joking?

Are you saying looking at an actual keyboard is cheating, but drawing one isn't? Or they both are?

Should I not enter TD256 because I figured out all the prime numbers on my own instead of memorizing them beforehand?
Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Here's a good TD question:
Name one of the characters obtained by typing SHIFT + a number key. NO CHEATING!

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

whatisbishkek wrote: Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.
I think there is a meaningful distinction to be drawn between looking at one and drawing one. Drawing a keyboard is equivalent to working out a multiplication problem with pencil and paper - everything still results from your own knowledge. Looking at a keyboard short-circuits this process; it could be likened to using a slide rule.

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

goforthetie wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote: Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.
I think there is a meaningful distinction to be drawn between looking at one and drawing one. Drawing a keyboard is equivalent to working out a multiplication problem with pencil and paper - everything still results from your own knowledge. Looking at a keyboard short-circuits this process; it could be likened to using a slide rule.
Also a valid point. I guess in this case, I would assume that just about anyone who can identify which key is which on a keyboard can probably also sketch a keyboard from memory, and it sounds like dinghammer only looked at it rather than sketching one because it was right there.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

whatisbishkek wrote:Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.
Whew, thanks for clarifying. I only know the C-major scale offhand, so I looked at the keyboard, wrote down the intervals, then went down to G and went from there. I could have instantly averted my gaze from the thing that's a foot to my left and drawn a keyboard, but it didn't even occur to me that this could be considered questionable until I saw your post.

EDIT:
whatisbishkek wrote:it sounds like dinghammer only looked at it rather than sketching one because it was right there.
Yes, that's exactly it. If I didn't have it right there, I would have drawn it -- I wouldn't have image-searched a keyboard. I think my phrasing in my first post ("had to") may have implied that I didn't know a keyboard's layout, but I meant I had to figure it out rather than just knowing it, not that I had to look at the keyboard to know what it looked like.

WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

Re: F sharp

Maybe it's the pianist in me, but what always helps me determine what key a particular piece is in: if you look at the key signature, there have been two rules to help me determine what the key signature is (at least for major keys):

Sharps (in keys with 1 sharp or more): Look at the last sharp, go up a half step.
Flats (in keys with more than 1 flat): Look at the second-to-last flat--the line or space the flat is on IS the major key. (Taken another way, four half-steps below the last flat.)

Still doesn't change the fact that I had to air-piano this one...must've gotten some strange looks from people who saw me do a thumb cross-under in the air.
アタックチャンス!

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

goforthetie wrote:Ugh. Sharpsburg was my first instinct but I convinced myself that "Sharpsville, Maryland" sounded so much better.
I did the exact same thing on that clue. :evil: I just spent a long weekend answering many hundreds of trivia questions and still didn't know for sure that it was Sharpsburg and not Sharpsville.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

tjconn728 wrote:
BoK wrote: 6: In Mille Bornes, the "Puncture Proof" card makes your side immune from this hazard.
This question was complete gibberish to me. (Which of course did not prevent me from guessing "sharp objects." At least I was not alone though.) Is Mille Bornes a popular game? I've never heard of it until today.
Same here (guess and everything).

Mondays definitely do start off easier. I didn't have any CLAMS, and only 2 wrong as far as I can tell. Now let's watch this week's inevitable downward spiral these next few days... :P

Speaking of F-sharp, I just saw this video yesterday (it may be old news for some of you by now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ju8Wxmrk3s

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

goforthetie wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
I clammed because I couldn't decide. I would have guessed right.
If I had been positive that those were the only two possibilities, I would have guessed, for the reason you cite. But I wasn't, so I didn't. Sharpstown? Sharpston? I can't remember what it was, but I went astray on something like that recently.
Magna wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
goforthetie wrote:I see that there is going to have to be a debate about whether "G Flat" is acceptable...
There is no G Flat in a G major scale. F sharp and G flat are enharmonic equivalents in an equally-tempered scale, but that does not make them the same note.
Because the rule is "we want to give you points," I think they ought to credit G flat since on a modern keyboard they're played by exactly the same key.
I think "we want to give you points" is a decent argument for accepting G flat, though I still disagree. I won't lose any sleep over it one way or the other.