LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:
ThreeIfByAir wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:4 right is usually enough to win in D Rundle.
Apologies to tjconn728, for whom it wasn't yesterday. Unfortunately he ran into three geography questions, one about my son's favorite reading material, and one about British TV (which he wisely zeroed). I missed the one about the OJ trial though. (I claim that Lance would be a great name for a dog.)
I was flipping between Lance and Kato.
Also Foghorn and Leghorn.

One of those landed on the right side. (Kato)
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

I say, I say that's a joke, son!

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:I was flipping between Lance and Kato.
I thought of Lance and it seemed so right I never even thought of Kato. Kato does seem like a better name for an Akita, I must admit. My wife was embarrassed I missed that one. She know everything about the OJ trial.
Kato never occurred to me, but I thought Bronco would be a reasonable name for a dog...

I guessed Chennai because I know it's one of the cities that changed names but I don't really know where any of the cities in India actually are.

Guessed Antigua and Barbuda, just because. Did get Leghorn and Pop Idol.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bamaman wrote:I knew there was an underground group of adult fans of the show, but I never knew they held a convention.

Scary.

These bronies have guns.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

No one yet has come up with the best OJ trial-related dog name: Fur-man.
Sprinkles are for winners.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:No chance on Mumbai (the only one my opponent got right) and could not pull out Pop Idol. Kato sounded like a good name for a dog and the leghorn was a safe guess.
When I first read the Mumbai clue, I thought "What . . . the . . . hell?" and resigned myself to missing it. Then I figured out the TOM. I was pretty sure "Marathi" was Indian, though whether that was actual knowledge or just a reasonable guess from the orthography, I'm still not sure. And "islands" means a coastal city. So we're looking for a coastal Indian city that was renamed 20 years ago. That seemed a lot more reasonable! I think Thorsten writes some pretty fantastic clues.

Rex
Agreed. Had I more carefully considered the TOM in this neatly packaged clue I would've come up with Mumbai(Bombay) rather than the weak guess 'Macau' which I knew was wrong when I wrote it. Bah! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:No one yet has come up with the best OJ trial-related dog name: Fur-man.
:::applauding:::

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

1. In general, is Thorsten generous when grading song titles?
2. On Friday's Q6, do you all think that My Bonnie have been accepted?
3. On Friday's Q6, do you all think that My Bonnie (Lies Over the Ocean) would have been accepted?

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I did really well on Friday (well, for me. Not for you folks over in A Rundle.) Still lost, though, 7(5) - 6(4). My opponent and I assigned vastly different defense, which I found interesting.

I was surprised by the low get rate on Aluminum - I thought it was one of the easiest questions of the day, although I did nearly have an RTFQ moment. I was also surprised that my opponent gave me 0 for My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, even though I knew it, because a lot of people can't sight sing. (Also, Auld Lang Syne as the MCW? Were people just naming a Scottish folk song?)

I got the CFL question because of Twitter. Thank you, Twitter.

squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

countyguy wrote:1. In general, is Thorsten generous when grading song titles?
3. On Friday's Q6, do you all think that My Bonnie (Lies Over the Ocean) would have been accepted?
I answered My Bonnie and he accepted it.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

squizzle wrote:
countyguy wrote:1. In general, is Thorsten generous when grading song titles?
I answered My Bonnie and he accepted it.
My Bonnie is the song I used to sing to my daughter when changing her (complete with moving close and far during the 'bring back' part) so I knew this one cold after struggling through the sight singing. However the extra few days of waiting to see if My Bonnie alone would be counted were agonizing.

I also saw the language question and said:"Persian or Iranian, I'll answer Iranian". That one wasn't counted as correct.

Shout out to GoldRF who has 27 correct answers against in B Hor... Yuck.
Last edited by boson on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

No BWA for Toronto Barenaked Ladies? I hope that's only because too many people had the same idea.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I did not intentionally tank a certain zero-pointer; I really did have an incredible brain fart: "let's see, AL is not an element, on to AR..." :shock: :o :? :shock

P.S. I probably had a shutdown of the brain center for things that begin with AL. I do in fact know of Montreal Alouettes (even if only because of all the jokes about the CFL).

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote:No BWA for Toronto Barenaked Ladies? I hope that's only because too many people had the same idea.
Of course not. It's kinda funny. Hence Thorsten wouldn't like it.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

It's too bad I can't sight-read. That song was in one of my favorite old computer games (Outlaws), so I would've gotten it.
Got my first three-pointer, though, tying me with Shaq on the all-time list. The really bizarre thing is that none of my opponents have forfeited, yet I've only allowed six points all season! I must've had the easiest first week schedule of, well, anyone.
Hoping for a third lap

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

nightreign wrote:(Also, Auld Lang Syne as the MCW? Were people just naming a Scottish folk song?)
Yes.
Sprinkles are for winners.

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

nightreign wrote:I was also surprised that my opponent gave me 0 for My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, even though I knew it, because a lot of people can't sight sing.
I have a rare advantage (that maybe I shouldn't disclose) that while my classical music scores are very low, I played music for many, many years. So I can't necessarily pull the names of symphonies, but any sight-reading or questions about notations are gimmes. So I got a 3 for that question and that put me over the top.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I don't play an instrument and I can't sing, but this was the first sight-reading question I missed... and that's because I've never heard of that song. Yep, go on, hit me on the head with a ten pound hammer!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gnash wrote:I don't play an instrument and I can't sing, but this was the first sight-reading question I missed... and that's because I've never heard of that song. Yep, go on, hit me on the head with a ten pound hammer!
I'm guessing Scottish folk songs weren't part of the average Croatian kid's life, I give you a pass.

I am reminded of a joke where the teacher asks little Billy to come up with a song using the words "analyze" and "anatomy". The result?

My analyze over the ocean
My analyze over the sea
My analyze over the ocean
Oh bring back my anatomy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

7(5) for Friday...that was a nice way to end the week. The sight-reading question was great for me (though I did have trouble deciding on the right way to put the title, and was thankful that my choice of "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean" was exactly what Thorsten put down). I had Farsi for Q2, that was a bit of a WAG. (My second choice was Arabic, so I'm thankful I stuck with my first option.) Went with Toronto Raptors for Q4...well, at least it's a Canadian sports team... :P

(Also, I finally seem to be improving on defense. 3(3) for my opponent...I usually allow WAY more points than that. Then again, I only have a week of experience under my belt.)

LHamilton
Contributor

Post by LHamilton »

jfrumkin wrote:
nightreign wrote:I was also surprised that my opponent gave me 0 for My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, even though I knew it, because a lot of people can't sight sing.
I have a rare advantage (that maybe I shouldn't disclose) that while my classical music scores are very low, I played music for many, many years. So I can't necessarily pull the names of symphonies, but any sight-reading or questions about notations are gimmes. So I got a 3 for that question and that put me over the top.
Duly noted, Match Day 22 opponent. Duly noted.