LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Woof »

As a former violinist who can sight read (but who has rarely sung from a score), I found myself chanting out the notes as I attempted to sing the tune (G-E-D-C-D-C-A-G-E) in something close to 3/4 time. Surprisingly to me, I had it after about 4 measures. Had anyone walked in on me doing that, they'd probably have called for psychiatric evaluation.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
nightreign wrote:(Also, Auld Lang Syne as the MCW? Were people just naming a Scottish folk song?)
Yes.
Yep, same here. I can't sight read, so I went with the Scottish hint. I think Auld Lang Syne is actually a Burns poem and not a song, but I had nothing else. I did not know Bonnie was a Scottish song. I did make the connection afterwards that Bonnie Prince Charlie was the last Jacobite pretender, but that was never coming to me.

My run and gun offense continues to carry my atrocious defense as I get a 6(5)-3-(2) victory. I live in the element's state, but spent time worrying if there was an element AK and also wasn't sure if AL was actually aluminum's symbol. I was pretty sure the Argonauts were in the east and Farsi was a lucky guess.

I went 5-0 the first week to climb to the top of the standings but this week I face five others in the top ten. If I can survive this week still in promotion zone I will be in good shape, but my D needs to tighten up.

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I don't quite understand how people "can't sight-read" for the purpose of recognizing a song (as opposed to actually playing the music). I mean, the notes go up and down like the tones they represent. If you hum it in your head, even somewhat inaccurately - or worse yet, if I hum it to you - you'll probably recognize a familiar melody. I have no musical talent or training; if I can do it, most people can do it.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Can't believe I missed that gimme on Warhol. That makes two 4(4)-4(3) ties on the young season.
Sprinkles are for winners.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, today's BWA actually was funny.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I woke up knowing full well that, with my embarrassing misses, I was sure to go up in flames, only to find that my opponent forfeited. Okay then.

I was surprised so many missed Pandora's Box. I thought it was a gimme and gave it a 0, although I will admit that I don't always have the best idea of what's obscure and what isn't. Now I'm back in 11th place.

Also, s/o to RandyG and ihavejeoprosy for still having perfect DE! Impressive.

(Meanwhile, I am sitting here wondering how I managed to get myself in 11th place after one whole week. I assumed when I joined that I would plummet to the bottom and stay there.)

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

nightreign wrote:I woke up knowing full well that, with my embarrassing misses, I was sure to go up in flames, only to find that my opponent forfeited. Okay then.

I was surprised so many missed Pandora's Box. I thought it was a gimme and gave it a 0, although I will admit that I don't always have the best idea of what's obscure and what isn't. Now I'm back in 11th place.

Also, s/o to RandyG and ihavejeoprosy for still having perfect DE! Impressive.

(Meanwhile, I am sitting here wondering how I managed to get myself in 11th place after one whole week. I assumed when I joined that I would plummet to the bottom and stay there.)
I wasn't sure if Pandora's box was a Greek myth, but put it anyway.

squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Boy I am bitter about yesterday's game. Several close guesses led me to lose big 2(2) - 7(5). I went with Jackson Pollock instead of Andy Warhol and Stalin instead of Lenin. The worst one, though, was when I immediately thought that LRA was L____ Revolutionary Army, and I teased the Lord's part out from my memory, only to find out that it was Lord's Resistance Army.

Woof

Post by Woof »

Did people actually know what a pithos was? Not being able to find an English cognate for it, but knowing that the clue was referencing the myth of Pandora's box, I put "Pandora" on the assumption that a pithos was some sort of person, rather than a container. Oof!

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

No guess on Pandora's Box, which kept me from a 9(6). I'm glad he accepted "periodontal," because the clue wasn't asking for a noun, just a term. That saved me from my first loss.
Can we get a math question yet? It's the only category we haven't had all season.
Hoping for a third lap

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I discarded Warhol and, having no idea otherwise and taking a stab in the dark without much thought, went with the famous painter "Norman Rockefeller." Jesus. I also got the gist of the clue and went Engels after discarding Lenin because I figured he was only political (Engels, of course, was long dead by 1921). Of course, A means I faced my 4th 9(6) of the season, so that was that.
Twitter: @jfrumkin

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had answers and values in for everything and the "I'm ready/I didn't cheat" box checked, then I decided to delete Grant Wood's name from my answers since his most famous painting is in Chicago, and the edge of my hand accidentally hit the Enter key by the numpad, which submitted my answers. Oh, and I had changed Lenin to Chiang Kai-shek too. I'm not sure I would have come up with Warhol, but it was frustrating to deny myself the extra moments of thought I wanted to take.

quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

So far, bad luck has been my game - 7th in my rundle in total correct answers, 4th in defense, and 22nd in standings. Hoping that if I can stay consistent, everything will even out.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote:I had answers and values in for everything and the "I'm ready/I didn't cheat" box checked, then I decided to delete Grant Wood's name from my answers since his most famous painting is in Chicago, and the edge of my hand accidentally hit the Enter key by the numpad, which submitted my answers. Oh, and I had changed Lenin to Chiang Kai-shek too. I'm not sure I would have come up with Warhol, but it was frustrating to deny myself the extra moments of thought I wanted to take.
Ouch. I don't check the box until I'm done done. (And even then I still have RTFQ moments afterward.)

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had my first RTFQ moment of the season yesterday. Or maybe I thought in some African dialect Liberation begins with an R. (And I even figured out Lord's).

My only other miss was the dentistry one and got a 7(4)-3(2) win. I did give them zero since food was their best category, but they also got three points for knowing the dentistry one. Somehow I am 6-0 despite having the second worst defense.

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

alietr wrote:OK, today's BWA actually was funny.
I feel dumb for asking this, but where do I find these?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:Did people actually know what a pithos was? Not being able to find an English cognate for it, but knowing that the clue was referencing the myth of Pandora's box, I put "Pandora" on the assumption that a pithos was some sort of person, rather than a container. Oof!
The clue read, " In Greek mythology, the "pithos" (πίθος) that introduced evil and dread to mankind is today best known by what term?"

Pandora isn't a term, it's a name. (She's the first human woman created by the gods, BTW; and her name means "all-endowed." No, not that way. :D Her name is from pan (all) + doron (gift). Just in case any of this stuff ever comes up.)

And the receptacle that she opened in the famous myth, although often mis-identified as a box, was actually a jar. (That's the translation of the word pithos.) Prior to making my submission on this question set, I didn't know what a pithos was, but "Greek myth about something unleashing evil into the world" led me to Pandora's jar (which Thorsten also accepted as an alternative to Pandora's box).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

mennoknight wrote:
alietr wrote:OK, today's BWA actually was funny.
I feel dumb for asking this, but where do I find these?
Under the individual questions. http://learnedleague.com/question.php?66&6&6
Pandora's Box has: Best Wrong Answers

THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

TRUMP

Woof

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Woof wrote:Did people actually know what a pithos was? Not being able to find an English cognate for it, but knowing that the clue was referencing the myth of Pandora's box, I put "Pandora" on the assumption that a pithos was some sort of person, rather than a container. Oof!
The clue read, " In Greek mythology, the "pithos" (πίθος) that introduced evil and dread to mankind is today best known by what term?"

Pandora isn't a term, it's a name. (She's the first human woman created by the gods, BTW; and her name means "all-endowed." No, not that way. :D Her name is from pan (all) + doron (gift). Just in case any of this stuff ever comes up.)

And the receptacle that she opened in the famous myth, although often mis-identified as a box, was actually a jar. (That's the translation of the word pithos.) Prior to making my submission on this question set, I didn't know what a pithos was, but "Greek myth about something unleashing evil into the world" led me to Pandora's jar (which Thorsten also accepted as an alternative to Pandora's box).
Good call on the name/term distinction. Alas that it didn't occur to me. Krater, yes; Amphora, sure; Pithos, NHOI (boo).

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went the opposite way, assuming pithos was a container.