LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote: Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement.
Surely you're not arguing that width x height does not equal area?
I could respond with a circular argument, or even a triangular one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:
Vanya wrote: Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement.
Surely you're not arguing that width x height does not equal area?
I could respond with a circular argument, or even a triangular one.
circular argument: (width times height) divided by four, times pi
triangular argument: (width times height) divided by two
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

I was expecting an e-mail from Thorsten with results from the Midsummer One-Day, only to discover that the One-Day is actually a Three-Day. So we can't discuss anything- including how much "money" we earned- until Labor Day. Has there ever been a one-day that went an entire weekend before?
Hoping for a third lap
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

seaborgium wrote: circular argument: (width times height) divided by four, times pi
triangular argument: (width times height) divided by two
Thanks for the clarification, seaborg. :)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Miles per gallon is a length divided by a volume, which reduces to one over an area. Therefore gas mileage could be calculated in inverse acres. From my calculations, 30 miles per gallon is equivalent to 3,152 inverse acres. The pedantic among you are free to correct those calculations.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Vanya wrote:Speaking of multiplying, twice now I have gone to a local grocery store to return bottles (5 cent deposit), and the cashier counts the bottles, then whips out a calculator to see how much I am owed! Maybe it's a store rule they have to do this (I really hope so).
Seeing my father go slightly ape on a cashier who couldn't figure out proper change taught me I'd better learn mental math.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

And... Horizon wins the Midsummer Classic! We're getting home field advantage in the LL Championship at TCONA 6.
I got the first three and the last three, but only got three of my "money" questions right, leaving me at 39th percentile. I didn't check the $ symbol on Q2, so I missed out on 83 points... and the beer. :roll:
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yay, Horizon! (Despite my best efforts at dragging the rest of the division down. Ugh.)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Yay Horizon! I think my score counted in B. The scoreboard isn't really set up easily figuring this out - the league and rundle should be shown in the table. Congrats to my leaguemates, who become my opponents again on Tuesday.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Good job Highland, even though you failed to beat Horizon. (sigh)
I managed to finish in 1306th place, which is higher than I thought I would. (and higher than 12 A Rundlers, yay!) I'm quickly figuring out that the stuff I know on LL isn't the same stuff that everyone else knows. For example, I thought both the tuck and The Sneetches questions were ridiculously easy (I almost talked myself out of tuck, because I thought it was too easy), but the get rates on those would suggest otherwise. Meanwhile, give me Rob Lowe, and all I know about him is that he was on some TV shows, but not which ones (I could've sworn he was on How I Met Your Mother. Oh well). My most aggravating miss was the alkaline medals one; I knew beryllium but took a guess at the other one (I couldn't even remember what I said now), and felt really stupid when I saw the answers. I should've known those, damn it! Oh well.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

boson wrote:Yay Horizon! I think my score counted in B. The scoreboard isn't really set up easily figuring this out - the league and rundle should be shown in the table. Congrats to my leaguemates, who become my opponents again on Tuesday.
Probably a little easier for those of you in A and B, since you only have 1 rundle's worth of names to look for. Not so much for the Ds, Es and Rs. I felt like I did pretty well (7 right, all 5 moneys right, T-52 in D overall), so I decided to go to the trouble and count where I finished: 6th in Horizon D, not quite a contributor, but, hey, we won, so no guilt here! I was only 8 points from #5, and could've been a contributor if I'd have coin-flipped "hand" instead of "fist" (or moneyed Nirvana).

Also congrats to our own Linear Gnome, who if I counted correctly, was #1 in Pacific D.

If you are a D-Rundler and want to ask me where you finished within your rundle, don't. I stopped counting when I got to mine. :twisted:
Sheepin' it real.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote:Yay Horizon! I think my score counted in B. The scoreboard isn't really set up easily figuring this out - the league and rundle should be shown in the table. Congrats to my leaguemates, who become my opponents again on Tuesday.
Maybe Thorsten will add that level of detail when he gets back from vacation.

I made a bad decision and put money points on the Trevor Rees-Jones question thinking, "Aha! Security contractor! That must be about Julian Assange!" :x
On the flip side, I thought about the railway engineer invention question a LONG time and was pleased to come up with the right answer.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:Yay, Horizon! (Despite my best efforts at dragging the rest of the division down. Ugh.)
Also cool that Horizon A was the highest scoring rundle overall.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I always get Rob Lowe and Robert Downey Jr. mixed up. That's what I get for watching Ally McBeal.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Frontier B got beaten by both C and D (hmm). My score must have counted since it was greater than 20% of our total (yippee).

Impressive that BarnumPT not only got all twelve, but also moneyed the five best options. (WamplerP picked the sixth instead of the fifth.)
nightreign wrote:For example, I thought both the tuck and The Sneetches questions were ridiculously easy (I almost talked myself out of tuck, because I thought it was too easy), but the get rates on those would suggest otherwise.
I remembered to play at around 11:52 this morning, so I'm sure if I'd had some more time I would have put something better than "CANNONBALL!!!!" (I hope our esteemed commissioner got a chuckle out of it, anyway.)

I was surprised Crepe Suzette had a 68% get rate. Had I been any more sure about Amstel I would have moneyed it instead. I have Greg Seroka's 7th win to thank for having that as a guess.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Vermonter wrote:Frontier B got beaten by both C and D (hmm). My score must have counted since it was greater than 20% of our total (yippee).
I moneyed an incorrect guess that I wasn't sure of, rather than one I knew was correct. I thought Nirvana would play way easier than it did. :oops:
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: I moneyed an incorrect guess that I wasn't sure of, rather than one I knew was correct. I thought Nirvana would play way easier than it did. :oops:
I'm just really bad at picking money questions. The Nirvana one was good for me, but the rest were poor choices.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sherder wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote: I moneyed an incorrect guess that I wasn't sure of, rather than one I knew was correct. I thought Nirvana would play way easier than it did. :oops:
I'm just really bad at picking money questions. The Nirvana one was good for me, but the rest were poor choices.
Mine weren't great, either. I got ten correct and I noticed someone finished one point below me who only got seven right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I missed the #2 and #3 hardest (and Rob Lowe), and didn't money Amstel because it was a guess. Of the nine I got right, I moneyed the #2, #3, #4, #5, and #8 most valuable. Had I moneyed Amstel instead of crepe Suzette, I would have earned 51 more points and finished tied for 97th instead of 255th. Big swing.

I can't complain though; it's not like I got all of them right and finished 110th, like WeikleB.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:I can't complain though; it's not like I got all of them right and finished 110th, like WeikleB.
Ouch!