LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by gobobbygo »

I keep waiting for my name to get me mis-defensed (despite my last name, I'm mostly Irish by blood, was brought up Catholic, was an altar boy).

I was expecting 3 for colcannon, got 1. (2 each to Commodores/Lionel Richie and Malawi/Zambia/Zimbabwe, both of which I knew, and Sullivan, which I should have gotten but did not.)
Got assigned 1 for Purim, which was a half-guess. (0 went to the plug-and-chug math q, which makes sense.)
Got 2 for Kyrie - 3 went to Fremont (am I the only one who remembers "free men, free soil, Fremont"?)
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

gobobbygo wrote: Am I missing something? To me, that doesn't mean it favors people who play 0 or 6 opponents (not using pts here because they're not assigned yet), so much as it magnifies the decisions they do make. To put it another way, I don't think it changes rates, so much as it just reduces sample size (and, thus, increases variability).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how any of this gives any advantage to people who face 0(0) or 9(6) opponents. It's a rate stat. So people who face the 0-right or 6-right opponents will have smaller sample sizes, and thus higher variability, but it should neither help nor hurt their rates.
Yeah, was thinking through it more, and you're right: extreme opponent strength/weakness doesn't change your expected EV; it just changes your variance. On the other hand, while that increased variability doesn't increase any given A or E rundler's chance of getting a high EV, it does increase the chance that the winner of the DE award will be someone from the A or E rundle, all else being equal. (It also means the chance that the player with the worse DE will also be from the A or E rundle, but you don't get a prize for that. :P)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

After a series of improbable wins garnering 3(4) and 3(5) against 3(3) and 3(4) I have squeaked into 4th place on the rookie rundle. Got a 5(?) coming in but against a strong player I wonder... hmmm. :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

alietr wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:This jew had no chance at the Catholic question. As far as I know, Kyrie whatever-it-was is an awesome point guard.
Nor I. Never heard of it.

I've given up all hope for Thorsten. I had "Farfegnugen" for the Kyrie question and Alfred Packer for the chef. I was sure I was going to get BWA for one of them. Nada.
LOL I'm Catholic and still no get, I offered "Miserere nobis" which we sometimes still sing. Back to Sunday skool... :cry:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

goatman wrote:After a series of improbable wins garnering 3(4) and 3(5) against 3(3) and 3(4) I have squeaked into 4th place on the rookie rundle. Got a 5(?) coming in but against a strong player I wonder... hmmm. :?
Watch out for goatman and his opponents. They are able to defend against each other impossibly well!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

While I'm familiar with Mister Mister's hit, I always thought it was about a woman named Kyrie. My only exposure to "Kyrie Elaison" in song comes from this Tom Lehrer song.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

nightreign wrote:I was happy to see a question on Kyrie Eleison, as my experience in choir helped me out with that one.
I sang Mozart's "Kyrie Eleison" (and its bad-ass follow-up, the perennial crossword-filler "Dies Irae") in high school.

Unfortunately, I also sang "Cantate Domino" by Pitoni (had to look that one up), which I knew meant "sing to the Lord." That took me down the Latin path, and for lack of anything better, I put "Misericordia Domino" which I'm sure is gibberish.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vermonter wrote:
nightreign wrote:I was happy to see a question on Kyrie Eleison, as my experience in choir helped me out with that one.
I sang Mozart's "Kyrie Eleison" (and its bad-ass follow-up, the perennial crossword-filler "Dies Irae") in high school.

Unfortunately, I also sang "Cantate Domino" by Pitoni (had to look that one up), which I knew meant "sing to the Lord." That took me down the Latin path, and for lack of anything better, I put "Misericordia Domino" which I'm sure is gibberish.
Isn't that Fats' aunt?

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I won today's match 8(4)-4(4). Only the first win in my streak of (now) three has moved me up in the standings, but now I could conceivably get from 23rd to 19th place once MD21 is in the books. Oh, and now I'm #1 in my rundle's DE standings, and #4 in the league's!

This is the third match in my LL career where a) I gave the same number of correct responses as my opponent; b) I played the best possible defense; and c) my opponent played the worst possible defense. The last time was a 9(5)-6(5) earlier this season, and the only other time was over three years ago: a 5(2)-1(2) in LL53.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LOL about Michael McDonald.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

My way-above-average luck is about to be severely tested over the next three match days. The three ladies who are my opponents all have more TCA than me. On Monday I must face the talented ElendilPickle, who I'm sure is eager to reclaim her spot at the top of the standings. I'd be ecstatic to get through this stretch with 2 points and clinch a promotion.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I had a few choice words when I saw that Beethoven was the correct answer to Q5. I then proceeded to freak out, as I had given my opponent a 3 and I was worried that he would put down the only composer he knew and ruin my DE. Luckily, he missed it, and we tied.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

Yesterday was my most Slumdog Millionaire / Rossplanation kind of day that I can remember:
  • Calais was a 90%-sure guess, and I was embarrassed I wasn’t 100% sure.
  • I was (embarrassingly) in a fraternity at Stevens Tech. One semester a bunch of us watched Days of Our Lives, and I remember Patch. He had an eyepatch.
  • Speaking of Stevens, Alexander Calder is probably our most famous alum (unless, maybe, Stevens dropout Alfred Kinsey counts. There’s a scene at the beginning of the movie where he doesn’t get along with his father at Stevens). The only American sculptor of the time I could think of off the top of my head, and Philadelphia is close enough to Hoboken.
  • No idea on cyanide. Guessed potassium and nitrogen for no good reason.
  • Dad’s favorite composer was Beethoven. Growing up, I shared a bedroom with my younger brother. When I was in 8th grade, he and I built me my own room in the basement. At the time I thought it was a reward for getting straight A’s for the first (and only?) time and that I had worn him down with years of complaining about how I’d get in trouble for not having a clean room when the mess was all Michael’s (the mess was not all Michael’s). Turned out Dad was thinking about his childhood - he was one of 10 kids, 8 boys, growing up in a 3-bedroom apartment, and he had vowed that HIS kids would have some goddamn privacy when they hit puberty. Anyway, the “construction project” was many consecutive weekends in the basement, listening to nothing but Beethoven on an old-school cassette recorder like one of these: Image. Missa Solemnis came up a lot.
  • The local Alamo Drafthouse is having “Septemberg," where they show an old Spielberg movie every week. I’m not a fan of Spielberg. But my friend convinced me that if I’d never seen Jurassic Park, I should go with him. So I did. (By the way, it’s a TERRIBLE movie!) Anyway, on the ride over he had his satellite radio set to the yacht rock station and they were playing Michael McDonald. He was actually telling me about how the Doobie Brothers’ sound changed so much when he joined the band. Sure, it was from one sound I really don’t like to a different sound I really don’t like, but it was info that was fresh on my mind.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Michael McDonald is the worst. Blue eyed soul pointed me to Daryl Hall, which I knew was wrong, but at least I can respect the man.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Thursday was a day of "when in doubt, guess" or "when in doubt, go for the obvious." Only missed cyanide; since carbon and nitrogen are two of the most abundant elements, why should their combination be poisonous? Q2, total guess; Q3, TOM of hanging; Q5, only composer I was sure is from the time period; Q6, what a fool answers :) .
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:Thursday was a day of "when in doubt, guess" or "when in doubt, go for the obvious." Only missed cyanide; since carbon and nitrogen are two of the most abundant elements, why should their combination be poisonous? Q2, total guess; Q3, TOM of hanging; Q5, only composer I was sure is from the time period; Q6, what a fool answers :) .
You didn't need to worry much, your opponent that day was somewhat of an idiot.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mennoknight wrote:Michael McDonald is the worst. Blue eyed soul pointed me to Daryl Hall, which I knew was wrong, but at least I can respect the man.
Did you miss this whole thread from this week?!?!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3057
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

alietr wrote:
mennoknight wrote:Michael McDonald is the worst. Blue eyed soul pointed me to Daryl Hall, which I knew was wrong, but at least I can respect the man.
Did you miss this whole thread from this week?!?!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3057
haha! I did! He's still the worst.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:LOL about Michael McDonald.
Right? I was up against a boardie, so that was the easiest zero to assign there ever was ...

Apparently he didn't read the thread. ;)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote:LOL about Michael McDonald.
Yeah. I watched both Tuesday's and Wednesday's episodes relatively late Wednesday and submitted Thursday's answers before I had read those game threads. That timing was suboptimal.

Fortunately, I won anyway. Knew DOOL from my soap opera phase in the late '80's, knew Beethoven and cyanide just because, and got Calder (despite a low art percentage) because "Calder is the mobile guy" is one of two things that's sunk in over the years by osmosis (the other is "Gainsborough painted Blue Boy").