LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Bamaman »

I played the World Series one because I knew most of them and finished middle of the pack. I didn't even know who Bob Fosse was so I skipped that one.

I'm not going to play just to say I played. I recall one guy was mentioned on there for having played every single day of every single quiz in 2014. I didn't check his records, but I wonder if he was that knowledgeable to where he could reasonably compete in every game or if he just submitted a lot of blank forms.

Yesterday in football, I came up with Clemson because they usually have a strong program and rabid fan base. But then I thought about the $2 bill and who was on it. And what school did he found? Yeah, Virginia usually sucks in football and are more of a basketballs school, but let's go for them anyway.

Cost me two points and the win, even though I guessed right on Oregon. Bleah.

A top two finish is still possible, but I can't do anything else stupid.
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

I never even considered Clemson for that question. I was between Florida State and Miami and ended up going with the Seminoles. I figured they've both been brash, arrogant programs that might pull something like that, then I ruled out Miami because they can't even fill their own stadium.

I'm in the same boat as you, Bamaman. I think I have a shot at a top two finish and my first final, but I need to be on my game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:Yesterday in football, I came up with Clemson because they usually have a strong program and rabid fan base. But then I thought about the $2 bill and who was on it. And what school did he found? Yeah, Virginia usually sucks in football and are more of a basketballs school, but let's go for them anyway.
I ruled out my law-ma mater because of the prior UVA-UNC "the South's oldest rivalry" question (and because we suck in football), but that's very sound logic. Talk about negbait!
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So much for not doing anything else stupid. I am working nights right now and when I got back from work Wednesday morning, I opened up LL and looked at the questions. Instead of literally sleeping on them, I went ahead and submitted my answers.

I looked at the resume for the "name the team" question and saw Bobby Collins. I knew he had been at Southern Miss so I went with them without looking at anything else. After I saw it was SMU, I then noticed the two missing seasons. Heck, just seeing they played in the 1983 Sun Bowl would have given it to me as I watched them get stomped by Alabama in that game. Luckily, the other guy forfeited.

On a brighter note, I got my first ever 9(6) score on Tuesday. I don't think they are official since it is a ML, but I'll take it.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

Apparently "turf graveyard" <> "sod cemetery". Whatever. Maybe if I had answered "that place where several pieces of The Big House are buried" it would have been acceptable to the U-M fanboy Smith.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Deleted here and moved to the main LL board to avoid spamming y'all. Thanks!
Last edited by MollyQMurphy on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pending...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jjwaymee wrote:Apparently "turf graveyard" <> "sod cemetery". Whatever. Maybe if I had answered "that place where several pieces of The Big House are buried" it would have been acceptable to the U-M fanboy Smith.
I knew what it is, I just didn't know what it is called. I described it and I knew cemetery was in its name, but I did not include the word. But if he is requiring an exact match, I'm not getting it anyway.

Had I been one of his testers, I think I would have told him to drop this question.
Benkins
Contributor

Post by Benkins »

I am looking for an invite for next season. If there are any kind-hearted souls out there with spares, I would be very grateful for your consideration.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Benkins wrote:I am looking for an invite for next season. If there are any kind-hearted souls out there with spares, I would be very grateful for your consideration.
pm me your email address
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Almost all of the 1DSs and mini-leagues are way too obscure for me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With three matches left, I am in third place, just one point out of second and two points out of first.

Unfortunately, I think I'm falling just short of making the finals. The second place guy plays someone with six forfeits and a guy whose only win was over the forfeit guy and seems to be submitting blank entries as he has gone 0(0) five straight times. His other match is against the fourth place guy who is one point behind me. So he could lose that one but he is going to go 2-1 at the worst so I need to be at least 2-0-1. (MY MPD would beat everyone).

My schedule has the forfeit guy and someone who is 4-3-1. The final match is against the group leader, FlaxmanR, who is 5-0-3. I really don't think a tie would help me but I'll know for certain what I need to do by then.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Deleted by me just in case.
Last edited by sarisson on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping for a third lap
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Deleted.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Active match day, people. No comments about the questions, no matter how innocuous you think they are. Can a mod delete the two posts above this?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Now that the results are in and I can comment about it, that Pen and Paper Math 1DS was the hardest math quiz I've ever taken in my life. :x If I'd spent 4-8 hours on it like some people, I could've gotten six or seven of them... but after 45 minutes I gave up. As I wrote in the recap on LL, if the top player in Horizon last season (who has a master's in physics) "only" got three of them, it deserved an X rather than a PG-13 on the ModKos scale.
Hoping for a third lap
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

sarisson wrote:Now that the results are in and I can comment about it, that Pen and Paper Math 1DS was the hardest math quiz I've ever taken in my life. :x If I'd spent 4-8 hours on it like some people, I could've gotten six or seven of them... but after 45 minutes I gave up. As I wrote in the recap on LL, if the top player in Horizon last season (who has a master's in physics) "only" got three of them, it deserved an X rather than a PG-13 on the ModKos scale.
Yeah ... there's no way in hell that was a PG-13. I glanced at them questions and then, as usual, didn't bother, but I might have gotten 2 of them. Maybe.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
sarisson wrote:Now that the results are in and I can comment about it, that Pen and Paper Math 1DS was the hardest math quiz I've ever taken in my life. :x If I'd spent 4-8 hours on it like some people, I could've gotten six or seven of them... but after 45 minutes I gave up. As I wrote in the recap on LL, if the top player in Horizon last season (who has a master's in physics) "only" got three of them, it deserved an X rather than a PG-13 on the ModKos scale.
Yeah ... there's no way in hell that was a PG-13. I glanced at them questions and then, as usual, didn't bother, but I might have gotten 2 of them. Maybe.
They should have an independent rater of the difficulty of these things.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

I did worse than I hoped -- which should be expected, I suppose :P -- but what galls me in particular are some stupid mistakes that brought down my score worse than it should have been. Silver medal syndrome: it feels worse to be almost right on a question but bungle it in the end rather than having no idea whatsoever and getting it entirely wrong. For example: figuring out that 5^201 should be between 10^140 and 10^141, but not remembering that 10^140 has 141 (not 140) digits, or figuring out that there are 8 x 4! x 4! ways of having four digits add up to 18, but then thinking, wait, they could be either the first/third/fifth/seventh digits or the second/fourth/sixth/eighth, better multiply by 2! Ergh.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Has an answer to an LL question ever become incorrect on the day of its issuance before? (Coll Fball 2 9 Q2)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Note: when you're entered in two Minileagues, one of them being a B&A, always solve the B&A one second. After doing the B&A one, my mind was still in B&A mode and I spent half the time on the Music one trying to come up with a portmanteau of two names/albums/songs. And yes, this has happened more than once.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012