TD: 257 - Guess the Theme: Comedy Edition

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD: 257 - Guess the Theme: Comedy Edition

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 am

Welcome to TD: 257 - Guess the Theme: Comedy Edition

This TD’s theme is on themes themselves. There are 10 questions. In each question you will select among a variety of options (e.g. A, B, C…) and select one answer. Each question will have a theme based on a common attribute shared by all of the possible answers. So pay attention to all of the options provided. Along with your basic answer you will also guess the common theme for each question. For an example see TD 248, my last “Guess the Theme” game. This time around there is an overall “meta” theme that encompasses the game: Comedy :lol: .

Base Scoring
Give correct answers that match as few of the other players as possible. The higher your score the better. On each question you may score:
5 points = Singleton! (one player with a particular correct answer)
3 points = Doubleton (two players with the same correct answer)
2 points = Correct answer that is not a Singleton, Doubleton or SHEEP.
0 points = Incorrect answers, or SHEEP (most common correct answer)

Guess the Theme
For each question, guess the theme. If you get the theme correct your score will be Doubled!
For example if you get a Singleton! then get the theme correct you will score 10 points (5 x 2 = 10). Unfortunately, if you get the question incorrect or “sheep out” getting the theme right won’t help you (0 x 2 = 0). So you can see that guessing the theme is a big part of the game. A perfect score for the game is 100 points (10 singletons plus getting all of the themes right).

• There are no drops, so answer all questions and guess the themes.
• Minor spelling or title discrepancies are OK, I’ll be somewhat flexible.
• Tie-breaker will be based on order of entry.
• No external help (e.g. Google, Wikipedia).

Submit your responses to me by PM. Do not post your answers on this message thread.

Also, please send notices of errors & typos over to me via PM, and I'll fix it. :roll:

Due by Monday August, 24 at Noon EST.

Question #1 – Yacht Loving Tech Billionaires & Russian Lakes
Answer one of the options below. I need just one. Just the answer is fine, you do not need to write the letter with your response. That goes for questions 2 to 10 as well.

A – This comedian is known for his signature phrase “GIT R’ DONE!”
B – This 1991 John Hughes film starred 10-year old Alisan Porter in the title role.
C – This old school rapper, known for his feud with LL Cool J, had a hit with “How Ya Like Me Now.”
D – This co-founder of Oracle once owned the eighth largest superyacht in the world named “Rising Sun.”
E – This 1994 Billy Crystal film was nominated for a Razzie award for Worst Remake or Sequel. (Need full title)
F - This skier won the gold medal in the Men’s Downhill event at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
G – This co-founder of Google owns a superyacht named “Senses."
H – This legendary basketball player was a member of the Harlem Globetrotters from 1963 to 1985. (Need last name too)
I – In the film “The Godfather,” this Jewish mobster was killed as a part of a mass slaughter of Corleone family enemies.
J – This man served as the 27th President of the United States. (Need full name, middle name too)
K – This is the only Beatles #1 hit song that fits the theme of this question.
L – This Russian freshwater lake is located in the Republic of Karelia at coordinates 64.45_N_31.75_E.
M – This song was the only top 40 hit for the Jump N’ the Saddle Band.
N – The Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) is used for classifying this three word medical condition.

Guess the Theme: OK, what is the common theme for all of the options above?

Question #2 – G. K. Chesterton & Beer Drinkers
Answer one of the options below.

A – This was the profession of Alisan Porter’s maternal great-grandfather in-law.
B – This man with a big bright toothy smile is the author of such books as “Your Best Life Now” and “Become a Better You.”
C – This fictional character created by G. K. Chesterton used intuitive reasoning to solve crime mysteries.
D – This book by travel writer Bill Bryson is subtitled “Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail.”
E – This is the place where the TV character Norm Peterson usually drinks beer.
F – This character from the TV series “The Simpsons” was the father of Krusty the Clown.
G – This man is the author of “The Purpose Driven Life.”
H – This man voted as “The Greatest Belgian” in history by a Flemish broadcasting service poll is honored by a statue that stands outside of the Hawaii state capital building.
I – Fill in the blanks to these song lyrics: “You can tell by the way __ ___ __ _____ I’m a woman’s man no time to talk.”
J – This place located on Fleet Street in London is where such literary figures as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and G. K. Chesterton drank beer.
K – This author of “Shalom in the Home” was the unofficial spiritual advisor to Michael Jackson.
L – This still living 96 year old man was recognized 55 times on Gallup’s list of Most Admired People.
M– This man appears in the “Word on Fire” YouTube video series.
N– In baseball, this event occurs when ball four is called. (Must fit theme)
O– This is the place where TV characters Homer Simpson, Lenny and Carl usually drink beer.
P– This practice, that need not take place in alcoholic beverage establishments, is defined by Wikipedia as: “cooperative, constructive and positive interaction between people of different religious backgrounds.”

Guess the Theme: What is the common theme for all of the options above?

Question #3 – French Kings & Other Things

A – This French king was the husband of Marie Antoinette. (Number required)
B – The best known allotropes of this chemical element are graphite and diamond.
C – This chemical element’s ions are an essential component of plant nutrition and are used as a fertilizer in agriculture.
D – This French king was known as the “Sun King.” (Number required)
E – This type of notice is a statutorily prescribed form that informs users of the ownership of a published work.
F – In baseball, this event occurs when strike three is called.
G – This French king led the Seventh and Eighth Crusades. (Number or status required)
H – This unit of measure for temperature uses round numbers for the freezing and boiling points of water.
I – This unit of measure for temperature is based on an absolute scale.
J – This western genre novelist is the author of such works as “Shalako” and “The Haunted Mesa.”
K – 50 legionnaires plus 50 gladiators equals this many individuals.
L – This literary character is the main protagonist in the Franz Kafka novel “The Trial.”

Question #4 – Fancy Hotels & Basketball Brawls

A – This is another name for Thai eggplant. (Must fit theme)
B – In the novel “The Lord of the Flies,” this character has poor eyesight, asthma and is overweight.
C – Hunter S. Thompson practiced this type of journalism. (Must fit theme)
D – Professional wrestler Chris Jericho is also the lead singer for this heavy metal band.
E – This son of a U. S. President served in two world wars and has a town in Texas named after him.
F – This former advisor to Vice President Dick Cheney was convicted of a felony in relation to the Plame affair.
G – The “Pennsylvania Hotel” in New York City was known by this name from 1954 to the early 1980s. (Two words)
H – This Fifth Avenue luxury hotel was the home to former President Herbert Hoover for over 30 years. (Two words)
I – This basketball player punched Rudy Tomjanovich during an infamous NBA brawl.
J – This character was the mascot of the 1984 Summer Olympics.
K – This taxonomic kingdom in biology includes such subkingdoms as parazoa and eumetazoa.
L – This professional golfer wrote a controversial religious book where he endorsed a Unitarian viewpoint of Christology.
M – This moniker would be an appropriate nickname for a dentist. (Must fit theme)

Question #5 – Particle Physics & Matt Lauer

A – This man served as the paramount leader of China from 2003 to 2013. (Need last name too)
B – This 18th century Scottish inventor developed the concept of horsepower.
C – This chromosome was first identified as sex determining by Nettie Stevens in 1905.
D – This actress plays China White on the current CW series “Arrow.” (Need first name too)
E – This defensive end for the Houston Texans is the first player in NFL history to have recorded two seasons with 20 or more sacks.
F – In particle physics, these bosons correspond to the type of force predicted by Georgi-Glashow model. (Must fit theme)
G – This Beatles song from the “Abbey Road” album includes the sounds from an electric harpsicord.
H – This Broadway show tune includes the lyrics: “when I’m stuck with a day that is grey and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin.”
I – This morning TV talk show is hosted by Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie.
J – This old school rap group had a hit in 1991 with “Pop Goes the Weasel.”
K – The song “Joy to the World” appears on this Three Dog Night album.
L – This quotation spoken by Clark Gable was voted as the number one movie line of all time by the American Film Institute. (Note: You may use “darn” as a substitute)

Question #6 – Bon Ami Cleanser & Alisan Porter Returns Again

A – A person who came who home with: Denorex shampoo, Centrum, Dimetapp, Tiger Balm, Sue Bee Honey, Chap Stick, Robitussin cough syrup, Hershey Treasures, Mrs. Butterworth syrup, Sweet N’ Low packets, V-8 Splash, Advil, Cold-EEZE Lozenges, a bunch of Sharpies, a whole lot of Bon Ami cleanser, post cards from the Hilton, a bathroom scale, a clock radio and toasters, during the 1990s, might say this. (Must fit theme)
B – This is a command that might be given to recovering anorexics. (Must fit theme)
C – This film character said: “Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.”
D – Ed McMahon spoke these words on a nightly basis. (Must fit theme)
E – A Big-Mac contains 29 grams of this substance.
F – A Hindu who obtains an aromatic sense of the union of the Brahman might say this. (Must fit theme)
G – This E! Channel show was originally hosted by Greg Kinnear.
H – This would be an appropriate slogan for Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. (Must fit theme)
I – College hipsters during the late 1990s might have complimented Alisan Porter’s maternal great-grandfather in-law with these words. (Must fit theme)
J – This city is the most populous city in New Mexico.
K – A person of European descent who regularly performs cosplay and recites quotes as the subject from Option C might be described as this. (Must fit theme)
L – This is a very thin sheet of metal made by hammering or rolling.

Question #7 – Microwavable Turnovers & Islam

A – These microwavable turnovers have been produced by Nestle since 2002.
B – This bodybuilding competition, organized by the International Federation of Bodybuilding & Fitness (IFBB), was won by Arnold Schwarzenegger in 1969.
C – To cross the demarcation line in Ireland, during the time in history in which Ireland was under English dominion, was to go here. (Must fit theme)
D – These three words can be used to describe an overweight father. (Must fit theme)
E – This fast food chain is symbolized by the Golden Arches.
F – This mural by Leonardo Da Vinci currently hangs at the Santa Maria delle Grazie convent in Milan.
G – This is the second largest denomination of Islam.
H – Two parts: (1) This is any substance which gives nutritional support to the body; (2) This is a 1970 romantic-drama film which starred Ryan O’Neal and Ali MacGraw. (Must answer both)
I – An apartment that has more than one bedroom, but less than three bedrooms, is a this many bedroom apartment.
J – This TV fictional character was discovered in a bottle by astronaut Captain Tony Nelson.
K – This town in Porter County, Indiana, shares its name with a personality referenced in Question #2.
L – This short lived reality show, aired on the A&E network, was about people with anxiety disorders.

Question #8 – Simony & Medieval Latin

A – These seven words begin the Brett Easton Ellis novel “American Psycho.”
B – This song by The Trammps includes the lyrics, “burn baby burn.”
C – This was the name given to the third movement of Gustav Mahler’s uncompleted Tenth Symphony.
D – This 1988 Italian film set at a movie house won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film.
E – This professional wrestler served as the personal assistant for the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase.
F – These two lovers are represented by Rodin’s statue “The Kiss.”
G – This Pope, the seventh of his name and whose papacy lasted from 1294 to 1303, was known to have committed simony.
H – This Jamaican reggae band is known for their song “Bad Boys” which serves as the theme song for the TV show “COPS.”
I – Fred Astaire received his only Academy Award nomination, for acting, for his performance in this film.
J – This term refers to an external, raised, flat open area near or on a building.
K – In classical astronomy this was the outermost sphere of the geocentric model of the Universe.
L – This term derived from Medieval Latin was considered by ancient cosmologies to be the place of Highest Heaven.

Question #9 – The Rockpile & DNA Sequencing

A – These opening two words “__ _______,” were used in options from Questions #2 & #3.
B – Abraham Lincoln became President of the U.S. during this century,
C – A priest that is attentive to the needs of parishioners can be described as this adjective. (Must fit theme)
D – John F. Kennedy became President of the U.S. during this century.
E – Fill in the blank: Yellowstone National ______.
F – This place in Chicago was the site of The Grateful Dead’s last concert just last month.
G – This former stadium in Buffalo, New York was affectionately known as “The Rockpile.”
H – Fill in the blank to these Britney Spears song lyrics: “_____ I did it again.”
I – This was the name for the period of sustained strategic bombing of the United Kingdom by Nazi Germany during WWII.
J – This method for sequencing long strands of DNA was a precursor to full genome sequencing.
K – This 1985 song by Stevie Wonder is about a man who tells a woman to leave.
L – This is the title of a 1968 album by the International Submarine Band.

Question #10 – Cary Grant, Tony Curtis & Joan Crawford
Answer one of the options below. WARNING: READ THE NOTE IN THE GUESS THE THEME LINE BELOW. :arrow:

A – Cary Grant starred with Katherine Hepburn in this screwball comedy that involved a leopard.
B – Tony Curtis lived the last few years of his life in this second most populous city in Nevada.
C – This actress played Joan Crawford in the film “Mommy Dearest.”
D – Cary Grant was born in this city in England which shares its name with a city in Connecticut.
E – Tony Curtis played this infamous real life serial killer in a 1968 film. (Nickname acceptable)
F – In 1938, Joan Crawford along with other famous actresses was dubbed “_____ _____ _____” by the Independent Film Journal due to her perceived unpopularity.
G – Cary Grant’s fourth wife was this actress who played “The Whipper” in the TV series “Ally McBeal.”
H – Tony Curtis appeared in this film about a Roman slave revolt.
I – This is the film for which Joan Crawford won her Academy Award for Best Actress.
J – In 1986, Cary Grant died in this city in Iowa located on the Mississippi River.
K – According to the Daily Mail, Tony Curtis compared kissing Marilyn Monroe to kissing this infamous historical figure.
L – Cary Grant, Tony Curtis & Joan Crawford have been civilly married a combined total of this number of times. (Hint: It is between 15 to 17)

Guess the Theme: The key to this theme has to do with the three movie stars mentioned in the questions & not the answers. What is the common theme for all of the options above? (Hint: Keep in mind the overarching theme).
Last edited by Ryno on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

Ryno

Re: TD: 257 - Guess the Theme: Comedy Edition

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 am

List of Participants:
SpoilerShow
1. ElendiPickle
2. Rackme32
3. 9021amyers
4. MarkBarrett
5. gamawire
6. Peachbox
7. Abraxas
8. quarterrican
9. Blue Lion
10. econgator
11. cf22
12. Caboom
13. MitchO
14. tjconn728
15. dinghammer
16. goatman
17. BigDaddyMatty
18. clprez
19. mahatma
20. patkav
21. Category 13
22. dnbguy
23. Peggles
24. Bamaman
25. BobF
26. brainpower
27. coolcah36
Last edited by Ryno on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

4 down, 6 to go. I've already guffawed out loud, causing people in the office to look at me, twice. :lol:

EDIT: Question 2 has two "I"s and two "J"s.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 pm

MitchO wrote:4 down, 6 to go. I've already guffawed out loud, causing people in the office to look at me, twice. :lol:

I have stared at it long enough. I think I have 5 and that's good enough for me to wave the white flag and submit.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 am

Bump.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:36 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
MitchO wrote:4 down, 6 to go. I've already guffawed out loud, causing people in the office to look at me, twice. :lol:

I have stared at it long enough. I think I have 5 and that's good enough for me to wave the white flag and submit.
Probably 3 more than I'll get.

ETA: 4 more, to be exact. :)

Caboom

Post by Caboom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:05 am

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

Probably 3 more than I'll get.

ETA: 4 more, to be exact. :)
Looks like we're tied then. And I'm not too confident of even the one.

Fight to the death for last place?

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am

Yeah I haven't submitted yet because I'm quite stuck myself. As much as I thought my music knowledge overlapped well with Ryno, it appears my comedy knowledge does not. Every time I try to go back to these lists, I don't find anything new. I'm at 5 themes, a 6th I have a guess at ... but there are two questions where I have 9 and 7 answers, respectively, yet just can't see it. I should just stop torturing myself and submit with what I have. :p

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Bump back to the first page.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:52 am

Time to bite the bullet and submit. Really clever stuff, Ryno.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:57 pm

OK, less than 24 hours to get your responses in. Still plenty of singletons left.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Great job, Ryno. I'm sure I'll bring up the rear on this, but here goes nothing...<runs off to submit>

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:21 pm

Ryno wrote:Still plenty of singletons left.
I think I can guess why that is. I am optimistic since, on most TDs, I do better on questions where I know fewer answers.

This one was quite challenging, which is a good thing. I can't wait to find out some of the answers.

Thanks, Ryno.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:11 pm

The deadline has passed and the entry period has closed. There are a total of 27 players for this game.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm kind of surprised at the low number of entries, even though these questions were a bit on the tough side.
I think the theme part is what is giving everyone the most difficulty. I stared at those options for days, and kept having to give it up to clear my brain. In the end I just had to be content with submitting my answers and not worry about the themes. I only managed to decifer two for sure.
It will be interesting to see what the get rate will be for just the themes. I'm looking forward to just finding out what they are as much as the scoring outcome.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Category 13 wrote:I'm looking forward to just finding out what they are as much as the scoring outcome.
Ditto. Usually, within 10 minutes of submitting my answers, I know all the answers I've missed. Not so in this particular game.

I'm a big fan of the 'guess the theme' component of these games. As for difficulty, well, there are plenty of places out there to find easier ones.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 pm

mahatma wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I'm looking forward to just finding out what they are as much as the scoring outcome.
Ditto. Usually, within 10 minutes of submitting my answers, I know all the answers I've missed. Not so in this particular game.

I'm a big fan of the 'guess the theme' component of these games. As for difficulty, well, there are plenty of places out there to find easier ones.
Even after looking up some of the answers later on, I still have no clue what the theme to question 9 is.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Here we go, the reveal. Here is Question #1:

Question #1 – Yacht Loving Tech Billionaires & Russian Lakes
SpoilerShow
A – This comedian is known for his signature phrase “GIT R’ DONE!”
B – This 1991 John Hughes film starred 10-year old Alisan Porter in the title role.
C – This old school rapper, known for his feud with LL Cool J, had a hit with “How Ya Like Me Now.”
D – This co-founder of Oracle once owned the eighth largest superyacht in the world named “Rising Sun.”
E – This 1994 Billy Crystal film was nominated for a Razzie award for Worst Remake or Sequel. (Need full title)
F - This skier won the gold medal in the Men’s Downhill event at the 1994 Winter Olympics.
G – This co-founder of Google owns a superyacht named “Senses."
H – This legendary basketball player was a member of the Harlem Globetrotters from 1963 to 1985. (Need last name too)
I – In the film “The Godfather,” this Jewish mobster was killed as a part of a mass slaughter of Corleone family enemies.
J – This man served as the 27th President of the United States. (Need full name, middle name too)
K – This is the only Beatles #1 hit song that fits the theme of this question.
L – This Russian freshwater lake is located in the Republic of Karelia at coordinates 64.45_N_31.75_E.
M – This song was the only top 40 hit for the Jump N’ the Saddle Band.
N – The Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) is used for classifying this three word medical condition.

Larry Ellison - (6) (SHEEP) (D)
ElendiPickle
quarterrican
econgator
goatman
clprez
dnbguy

Kool Moe Dee - (4) (C)
MitchO
BigDaddyMatty
mahatma
brainpower

The Curly Shuffle - (3) (M)
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
Abraxas

Larry the Cable Guy - (3) (A)
Blue Lion
cf22
Bamaman

Curly Neal - (Doubleton) (H)
9021amyers
gamawire

Tommy Moe - (Doubleton) (F)
Peachbox
coolcah36

Curly Sue - (Doubleton) (B)
dinghammer
Peggles

Larry Page - (Singleton !) (G)
tjconn728

City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold - (Singleton !) (E)
patkav

"I Feel Fine" - (Singleton !) (K)
Category 13

William Howard Taft - (Singleton !) (J)
BobF

Incorrect Answers
Caboom = Ladoga

Unused Answers
Moe Greene (I) (the actor who played him just passed away a few weeks ago)
Lake Nyuk (L) (say it three times to connect to theme)
Traumatic Brain Injury (N) (I think this relates well to the theme)

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Now for the theme to Question #1. See video:

phpBB [video]

24 out of 27 players got this one right.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:29 pm

I was hoping you'd be able to work a Shemp in there somewhere.