Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

Post by BoK »

Sorry I forgot to put this up earlier.

The Instant Replay Thread is neither instant nor a replay. Discuss.

Leander

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 3 Instant Replay Thread

Post by Leander »

Will be very curious to see the number of correct answers for the Classical 9 pointer (the Russian composer). I would consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about classical music, but I have never heard of this guy even after looking him up.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

BoK wrote:Sorry I forgot to put this up earlier.

The Instant Replay Thread is neither instant nor a replay. Discuss.
I considered starting one myself, but that seemed...overeager.

I either did really well or kerplunked today. We shall see.
Last edited by patkav on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I got Spanish Civil War from 1936, but then I had to guess on whether Madrid or Barcelona was the capital, because I can never remember those things.
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Is the intended correct answer for the Bach question "cembalo"? Wikipedia says that the title on the score reads: Concerto 5to à une Traversiere, une Violino principale, une Violino è una Viola in ripieno, Violoncello, Violone è Cembalo concertato.

Nobody so far has guessed "cembalo". "Clavier" seems too generic, and "clavichord" (my answer) is definitely not right.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yes, I think cembalo was the intended answer. Seems very difficult to me!

Bach would have spelled clavier as "klavier," wouldn't he?
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

goforthetie wrote:Is the intended correct answer for the Bach question "cembalo"? Wikipedia says that the title on the score reads: Concerto 5to à une Traversiere, une Violino principale, une Violino è una Viola in ripieno, Violoncello, Violone è Cembalo concertato.

Nobody so far has guessed "cembalo". "Clavier" seems too generic, and "clavichord" (my answer) is definitely not right.
I really struggled with that question. If cembalo is indeed the intended answer, then it is undervalued IMO. I knew that clavichords are distinct from harpsichords (struck vs. plucked strings) but clavier is a generic term that would encompass harpsichords. The one hitch with that idea is that the Germanic spelling is Klavier, and AFAIK is a synonym with piano, not harpsichord.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Whoops. I felt pretty good about clavier until I looked it up. When it comes to classical music, I should just clam, even when it's clear that all of the correct answers commence with 'c'.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Is the intended correct answer for the Bach question "cembalo"? Wikipedia says that the title on the score reads: Concerto 5to à une Traversiere, une Violino principale, une Violino è una Viola in ripieno, Violoncello, Violone è Cembalo concertato.

I really struggled with that question. If cembalo is indeed the intended answer, then it is undervalued IMO. I knew that clavichords are distinct from harpsichords (struck vs. plucked strings) but clavier is a generic term that would encompass harpsichords. The one hitch with that idea is that the Germanic spelling is Klavier, and AFAIK is a synonym with piano, not harpsichord.
One of many undervalued clues today . . . For example, IMO the Watkins clue was undervalued for people who aren't plugged into the quiz bowl scene and have NHO Watkins. And I NHO several of today's correct responses. The cembalo clue was also neg-baity, bc Bach and "C" instrument elicits a Pavlovian response of Clavier. (And "clavier" with a C is the typical spelling when rendered in English).

ETA: Sorry if I'm not seeming very well-tempered today. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote:For example, IMO the Watkins clue was undervalued for people who aren't plugged into the quiz bowl scene and have NHO Watkins.
Yeah, at that point level, it was crying out for some other TOM.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

hbomb1947 wrote:
ETA: Sorry if I'm not seeming very well-tempered today. :D
What you did there: I saw it and appreciated it. :D

hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:For example, IMO the Watkins clue was undervalued for people who aren't plugged into the quiz bowl scene and have NHO Watkins.
Yes, perhaps something like "Watkins was probably crimson with shame . . . " :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I was leaning toward Madrid, but for all I knew there could have been fighting in lots of other places then. I'd have probably gone for it if it had been 15 points because of the higher EV.

And at least my other guess of clavier would have been just as (if not more) wrong.

I also knew Pablo but couldn't think of his last name.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote:
For me, at least, the note about the take-home exam helped recall the story. I remember thinking how very Harvard it seemed to offer the exam take-home, and funny that so many students still cheated.

ACW

Post by ACW »

-4 :oops: :oops: :oops:
Got Georgetown (I live near DC BTW) and educated guessed Chopin.
Picked Northwestern instead.
Got Spain, but for some reason thought Barcelona was the capital (I knew it was one of the two). :evil: :evil: :evil:

hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

mahatma wrote:
alietr wrote:
For me, at least, the note about the take-home exam helped recall the story. I remember thinking how very Harvard it seemed to offer the exam take-home, and funny that so many students still cheated.
Here again, without special knowledge of Harvard, I don't see how it would seem "very Harvard" to offer a take-home exam. Why Harvard and not Princeton or Yale or Stanford or one of many other schools? I had some take-home exams at my law school, which was not Harvard.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I went to architecture school in Boston, not at Harvard, but I had a few friends who were graduate assistants/TAs there. It was a little bit of an in-joke that, while it was a very tough school to get into, it was pretty easy to skate through once you were in. I don't ever remember having take-home exams as an undergrad.

I'm not saying the question was easy; just saying why it 'clicked' for me.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Woof wrote:... The one hitch with that idea is that the Germanic spelling is Klavier, and AFAIK is a synonym with piano, not harpsichord.
I'm guessing the German meaning of that word had not yet crystallized by Bach's time; the books encompassing his Wohltermperierte Klavier were published well before any form of the piano came into wide use.

That said, I fell into the "clavier" trap and totally fluffed cembalo.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

I thought I was losing my mind, which is why I edited my post above, but StevenH asked about The Five in TD 242. I dropped that question because I had no clue. So I went and learned about those dudes. Of course, there's no telling when I'm going to be able to pull that knowledge from my skull and when I'm not going to be able to.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I was a researcher at the University of Michigan when the state highway map with "Beatosu" and "Goblu" was released. That was in 1978. Peter Fletcher, who was a real character, was the chair of the Michigan Highway Commission and a rabid U-M fan. I actually met Fletcher, several times, after I moved to his hometown of Ypsilanti.

Here's a link to the map, with red arrows pointing to the faux towns: http://www.michigan.gov/images/hal/mhc_ ... 4563_7.jpg