Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

butler77
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by butler77 »

Are there solos called "shines" in the Rumba? Just wondering.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Benihana because it was always a prize when Johnny Carson played Stump the Band. (Dating myself again).

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

so it seems i'm in good company when it comes to a) hating the "i'm dating myself" category, and b) having no frigging idea what was going on. yes, when i got negged on rumba, i fell off my podium. (it was the first time i'd been up there. daniel is tall.) sharp eye, econgator. then after he read the cri-cri clue, i literally shook my head in bewilderment.

yes, it was a heartbreaking way to lose for katie, who pretty much kicked my ass up and down the block in DJ. she played great after a slow start—went aggressive looking for a DD, landed it, doubled up (nice wager and instaget on what i thought was a nontrivial clue), and cruised into the lead. it was not my finest game, i know that. watching the replay (or i guess, the ... play), i was stunned, actually, at how many questions i did answer. maybe my memory of it was colored by that ridiculous dating category, or the numerous mistakes. but by the end of DJ, i was actually totally at peace with losing. how could i not be? i'd had a great run, wildly beyond my expectations, and had been fairly beaten by a terrific opponent who grabbed the game by the throat. so i was preparing myself to congratulate katie when we cut to commercial after the FJ category reveal and maggie comes over saying, "don't wager yet!" i had no idea what they were looking into. what the hell did i know about afro-cuban dance? (after seeing tonight's episode, one of my friends posted this to my facebook wall and said i needed to buy a copy.)

when they told us about the scoring change, i was honestly more gutted for katie than happy for me. then to be sitting on a tiny lead and have yet another trivial FJ... wow. somebody up there likes me, but i had a hard time feeling really happy about it because it didn't feel deserved. it didn't occur to me to try to bet for the tie—that might have been more sportsmanlike than what i did. but i guess it wouldn't have mattered because she didn't bet it all.

anyway, thanks for all your continued happy-making and retro luck (which i just about used up today!).

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I am actually quite surprised at the number of people who said "Toronto" for the Windsor clue. Perhaps it's my being much more of a geography geek than a sports fan that did it, but, really, I thought that "Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit" is common knowledge on both sides of the border. Am I wrong?

(I'm half-tempted to ask Mark to put it in the weekly roundup, but considering that a fair number of boardies already said they missed it (including Mark himself) and I already said I (insta)got it, it'd be mean, and I'd be less popular around here than I already am.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:I am actually quite surprised at the number of people who said "Toronto" for the Windsor clue. Perhaps it's my being much more of a geography geek than a sports fan that did it, but, really, I thought that "Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit" is common knowledge on both sides of the border. Am I wrong?

(I'm half-tempted to ask Mark to put it in the weekly roundup, but considering that a fair number of boardies already said they missed it (including Mark himself) and I already said I (insta)got it, it'd be mean, and I'd be less popular around here than I already am.)
I was meaning to ask anyway, so I'll say now: Mark, could you make a supplemental question in the weekly poll to identify boardies who guessed "Maple Leafs" for that DD clue?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I really think Katie deserves a second shot. She had a good lead and no reason to buzz in on the last clues, and then comes a scoring change that she could not have reasonably anticipated.

Joon is not only a damned good player but an even better sportsman. His comments here were so honest and revealing, thank you Joon.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Joon-Offering her a tie would have been sporting, but stupid. As you said, she kicked your butt in DJ, do you want to face her again with game experience under her belt?

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

dhkendall wrote:I am actually quite surprised at the number of people who said "Toronto" for the Windsor clue. Perhaps it's my being much more of a geography geek than a sports fan that did it, but, really, I thought that "Windsor is directly across the river from Detroit" is common knowledge on both sides of the border. Am I wrong?

Yeah Windsor was a dead give away (first thing coming to mind with Windsor was ON Route 3). As for the show, 21/30, 25/30 to break the 44/60 streak finally. However, unlike the last two days, I took a blank for Final today.

Of course, Joon is one win away from the Tournament of Champions, and with $112,000, he's a definite in. Sara Heard's chances lie on today's game.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Nice going, Joon, despite a slow start. FJ! was another instaget for me, having read the book both in English and Spanish (in high school).

Not remembering what the scores were before the adjustment, I don't think there would have been a different outcome because Elaine made the Venusian wager. As my wife and I watched and saw the scores, she said to me that Joon would win because Elaine would bet small. She's hep to the Martian/Venusian wagering issue.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I strongly doubt she'd have gone Venusian wagering with the lead. Whole 'nother animal.

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I guess you all get JEOPARDY! on ABC or something? Because CBS broke into the DJ round with the news that Steve Jobs had died. I wasn't as annoyed as I might have been, because up to that point, my coryat score was pretty low. So now I don't have to count this game.

Knowing that Roscinante was Don Quixote's horse made FJ very easy for me. Only now I am wondering what piece of armor a "quixote" is.
Teems with quiet fun.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote: Eft = crossword puzzle staple

Memo to Alex: Do not open tomorrow's show with a mention about men winning the first 13 games of the season. That will knock Joon out of TOC chances. There's nothing wrong with Zach's humidor keeping the spiderwebs on it for another game or two.
Nave in the $800 4-letter window is another crossword word. What about Katie getting credit for Aleutians in Alaska $1600 when they were going for Aleuts? I think the show would have called something like that wrong, and have in the past. Joon would still have had the lead either way because of his reversed ruling, but still. Mark forgot that Alietr deletes my attempts to be charming when written anyway.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

immaf wrote:I guess you all get JEOPARDY! on ABC or something? Because CBS broke into the DJ round with the news that Steve Jobs had died. I wasn't as annoyed as I might have been, because up to that point, my coryat score was pretty low. So now I don't have to count this game.

Knowing that Roscinante was Don Quixote's horse made FJ very easy for me. Only now I am wondering what piece of armor a "quixote" is.
Happened in Cleveland too. No disrespect to Jobs, but...c'mon, I would expect all television to be interrupted for the "breaking news" that the president had died...or the pope. Pretty much anyone else, can't the news wait? As my wife said, he'll still be dead at 11:00.

Re: FJ. I also never heard either of the linguistic references (armor or nag) but seriously, what else could this have referred to other than Quixote? Painfully easy for FJ-type material. I did not get to see the clue that Joon was negged on and that later was reversed. Really a hard way to lose for the challenger. Made me wonder if they couldn't have interrupted the game for a scoring change, instead of waiting until after DJ. I know they usually wait until a natural stopping point, but if she had known of that $3200 swing, and that she was not in the lead after all, might it have affected her selection of high-dollar-vs.-low-dollar clues in the last minute? If I were in her place I'd be very upset about the endgame. (And yes, all props to Joon for the sportsmanship to acknowledge that)

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

John Boy wrote: Happened in Cleveland too. No disrespect to Jobs, but...c'mon, I would expect all television to be interrupted for the "breaking news" that the president had died...or the pope. Pretty much anyone else, can't the news wait? As my wife said, he'll still be dead at 11:00.
CBS cut into daytime programming to mention Charles Kuralt's death in 1997(don't remember what time of day it was however), and cut into TPIR in SUmmer 2004 to mention Marlon Brando's death(TPIR was in reruns then I think anyway). NBC cut into programming to mention Tim Russert's death three years ago. Granted, Kuralt was employed by CBS for 30 years at that point and Russert by NBC for about 20 at the time of his death, but still.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jpahk wrote:somebody up there likes me, but i had a hard time feeling really happy about it because it didn't feel deserved.
I enjoyed watching Katie play, and if I hadn't been rooting for you I'd have been disappointed by the outcome. However, there was nothing undeserved about your victory -- you got the points you got because of your skill, and to the extent luck played a part, well, nobody wins three games of Jeopardy! without luck. It's built in.

Imagine how you'd have felt if everything else played out the way it did, except that, after you gave your "rumba" answer, Katie had buzzed in with the "salsa" answer they were looking for. When they reversed the neg on you just before FJ, she'd have kept the points she'd received for her correct answer and stayed ahead of you. All by the book, and fair play by all contestants -- but would you have walked away grumbling that Katie didn't "deserve" the win because she'd never have gotten the points if your answer had been ruled correct in the first place? Given your posting above, I don't imagine you would. Well, your case is even cleaner than that hypothetical. Tough break for Katie, but you still deserved the win.

Retroactive good luck tonight!

Rex

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Imagine how you'd have felt if everything else played out the way it did, except that, after you gave your "rumba" answer, Katie had buzzed in with the "salsa" answer they were looking for. When they reversed the neg on you just before FJ, she'd have kept the points she'd received for her correct answer and stayed ahead of you. All by the book, and fair play by all contestants -- but would you have walked away grumbling that Katie didn't "deserve" the win because she'd never have gotten the points if your answer had been ruled correct in the first place? Given your posting above, I don't imagine you would. Well, your case is even cleaner than that hypothetical. Tough break for Katie, but you still deserved the win.

Retroactive good luck tonight!

Rex
I suppose it COULD have happened that way. Either way it's completely legit and someone wins, someone loses, and it's all completely by the book. Still it's a darned shame when something comes up like this to muddy the waters and create a bunch of "what-ifs." I don't know how the writers and judges and AT could ever produce a game without the chance of an unfortunate situation like this coming up. There are so many times when unexpected, alternate answers turn out to be acceptable, and it must be extremely difficult to rule on them definitively on the fly.

True, Joon doesn't have to apologize for this win. Still I imagine we all hope for clean, unambiguous outcomes.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rex Kramer wrote: Imagine how you'd have felt if everything else played out the way it did, except that, after you gave your "rumba" answer, Katie had buzzed in with the "salsa" answer they were looking for. When they reversed the neg on you just before FJ, she'd have kept the points she'd received for her correct answer and stayed ahead of you. All by the book, and fair play by all contestants -- but would you have walked away grumbling that Katie didn't "deserve" the win because she'd never have gotten the points if your answer had been ruled correct in the first place? Given your posting above, I don't imagine you would. Well, your case is even cleaner than that hypothetical. Tough break for Katie, but you still deserved the win.
I wondered that same thing last night. It took my mind back to the incident that got Arianna Kelly a second chance: she was wrongly negged on an $800 clue, the eventual winner rebounded, and Arianna ended up trailing the eventual winner by more than $1,600 but less than $2,400 entering FJ. I can imagine the producers saying at that point, "We could give her $1,600 back, but she'd still be in third place when we know she ought to be in second. Let's see how FJ turns out, and if she doesn't win and we think she would have from second place, we'll invite her back." Of course, that's entirely made up, but I can't imagine TPTB didn't realize their error before the game was over.

Dzul

Post by Dzul »

First of all, hi guys :)
Thanks for recreating this forum!
legendneverdies wrote:What about Katie getting credit for Aleutians in Alaska $1600 when they were going for Aleuts?
My wife and I caught this too, but we both missed the rumba/salsa mistake. So when they announced a correction, we were excited for Joon, and then confused that they picked the dance response to fix. It all worked out in the end, but I still think they missed this one.

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

With three wins and $112,700, Joon Pahk moves into 16th place in the ToC standings.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Dzul wrote:First of all, hi guys :)
Thanks for recreating this forum!
legendneverdies wrote:What about Katie getting credit for Aleutians in Alaska $1600 when they were going for Aleuts?
My wife and I caught this too, but we both missed the rumba/salsa mistake. So when they announced a correction, we were excited for Joon, and then confused that they picked the dance response to fix. It all worked out in the end, but I still think they missed this one.
I have to agree -- the more I think about it (and google it), "Aleutians" seems clearly wrong as the name of the people (as opposed to the archipelago) -- although I'm open to opposing views. So as bad as I feel for Katie due to the timing of the scoring change, it does seem like she "got away with one" on that Alaska clue, and that things did all work out in the end.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide