Updated Jeopardy! website

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Updated Jeopardy! website

Post by dharrisf »

It looks like Jeopardy! has updated their website and included some new features--including a contestant tracker for the next TOC: https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/tournament-tracker I'm happy to be on it, of course, but sad I'm on the very edge of being kicked off.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Updated Jeopardy! website

Post by opusthepenguin »

dharrisf wrote:It looks like Jeopardy! has updated their website and included some new features--including a contestant tracker for the next TOC: https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/tournament-tracker I'm happy to be on it, of course, but sad I'm on the very edge of being kicked off.
Oh man, that's a nail-biter. If I were you, I'd be a nervous wreck. I'd also be suspicious and paranoid. Why did they suddenly decide to put up a tournament tracker? Is it because of exciting developments that are about to occur? HAS THE GAME THAT DESTROYS MY DREAMS ALREADY BEEN PLAYED?!!?? :shock:

Good luck during the next few months. I hope you make it to the TOC.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Well, I guess that answers the question of whether Catherine Hardee is in the running.

This should be good for dozens of posts on jboard. Discuss: https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestan ... ontestants

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Exciting revelation! The new Champions Archive tells us Watson's last name!!
Spoiler
First name: Watson. Last name: Null
Rex, not happy about the elimination of the Hall of Fame and $30,000+ winners pages

dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

opusthepenguin wrote:Oh man, that's a nail-biter. If I were you, I'd be a nervous wreck.

Good luck during the next few months. I hope you make it to the TOC.
Thanks much! Yeah, "nervous" pretty well nails it.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"Every Final Jeopardy! clue from the past 30+ years. Exactly as it originally aired. On a random loop."

If this isn't just Archive-mined data, what can we get out of this?

Can anyone program a script that collects the data stream? (The relevant code is here.)

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Rex Kramer wrote:Exciting revelation! The new Champions Archive tells us Watson's last name!!
It also notes Watson appeared in the Battle of the Decades. IBM built a pretty convincing Brad Rutter body!

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This item in the store does nothing to settle a longstanding "debate"...

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

It seems that they now show that elusive sixth clue, as well.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nightreign wrote:It seems that they now show that elusive sixth clue, as well.
It will be funny to see "sixth clue"s, out of context, for themed categories where none of the first five were revealed on the show!

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:"Every Final Jeopardy! clue from the past 30+ years. Exactly as it originally aired. On a random loop."

Can anyone program a script that collects the data stream? (The relevant code is here.)
I watched for a few minutes and saw one from 1986 and from 1991 come up. I compared those clues to the Archive and both clues were not in there. I checked some other ones from more recent years and they matched the Archive exactly as being from the FJ! round.

So in a very small sample I'll take it to mean the J! people did their own work and it's not just mined from the Archive and does include non-Archived FJ! round clues.

michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

If you have a favorite Jeopardy! champion that's on the bubble (and you all should), here's a piece of (Python 2.7) code to estimate their chances of making the ToC.

It's based on the number of games left before the ToC, the number of people that could pass your favorite champion and still remain eligible, your champ's number of wins, the chance that a person with the same number of wins as your champ will win more money than her or him, and the empirical distribution of Jeopardy win streaks over the past 2-ish seasons.

If you're interested: https://github.com/michaelbilow/JeopardyToCProbability

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:"Every Final Jeopardy! clue from the past 30+ years. Exactly as it originally aired. On a random loop."

I watched for a few minutes and saw one from 1986 and from 1991 come up. I compared those clues to the Archive and both clues were not in there. I checked some other ones from more recent years and they matched the Archive exactly as being from the FJ! round.

So in a very small sample I'll take it to mean the J! people did their own work and it's not just mined from the Archive and does include non-Archived FJ! round clues.
Where is that video? I couldn't find it.

edit...Never mind, I found it. Not bad, but would have been more helpful if they gave dates and played them in order along with the actual video.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, one thing I found so far, they're random like a deck of cards. Shuffled, but dealt cards don't go back into the pack until they've -all- been dealt:

Code: Select all

currentClue++;
        if (currentClue >= totalClues){
            shuffle();
            currentClue = 0;
        }
So if you start fresh, you can go through the whole loop until it hits the end. Haven't yet found a way to crawl the source direct tho.
However, given the loop bit, a packet sniffer might work, though the filtering and data extraction would be awful. Just awful. I'd say that's a last last last resort solution...

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Looks pretty spiffy. The MyJeopardy! profile thing is interesting.

Also, FINALLY THE COLLEGE TEST IS COMING IN OCTOBER HALLELUJAH.

:D

Volante

Post by Volante »

I think I got it! I think I got it!!

Well, I'm getting somewhere at least. This system I'm working on is just the worst. Takes about a minute to refresh things...
In Firefox, Tools, Web Developer, Network, if you check XHR, jeopardy file on the left, then responses on the right side

It populates with the returns, one sample:

0: Object
-clue_id: "5705"
-category: "POETS"
-clue_text: "FUNDS PROVIDED BY HIS WIDOW WERE USED TO SET UP A LITERARY CHARITY CALLED OLD POSSUM'S PRACTICAL TRUST"
-broadcast_date: "2013-09-16"
-answers: Object
--0: Object
---id: "5705"
---text: "
Spoiler
WHO IS T.S. ELIOT?
"
---correct: "1"

I'm gonna have to pause there though, this poor system just cannot handle this level of investigation.

Edit: Holy schnikes. You can right click on the left and select copy responses. It gives you the raw freaking data dump.
{"clue_id":"5705","category":"POETS","clue_text":"FUNDS PROVIDED BY HIS WIDOW WERE USED TO SET UP A LITERARY CHARITY CALLED OLD POSSUM'S PRACTICAL TRUST","broadcast_date":"2013-09-16","answers":[{"id":"5705","text":"(Yeah, we all know...but still)","correct":"1"}]}

It looks like they come in batches of 100, though, so my above guess is wrong. You get 100 unique clues then they go back in the deck.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Can I dream about an archivist tool to type in a FJ! clue from an old game and bingo the date of the game is given? Get to work those of you tech savvy.

Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:Can I dream about an archivist tool to type in a FJ! clue from an old game and bingo the date of the game is given? Get to work those of you tech savvy.
Wouldn't the search feature do that?

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Can I dream about an archivist tool to type in a FJ! clue from an old game and bingo the date of the game is given? Get to work those of you tech savvy.
He means type the FJ clue into jeopardy.com (or a dump of their database), get the official airdate, update j-archive.com with bona fide accurate info, rejoice. I think.

Volante

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Volante wrote:
He means type the FJ clue into jeopardy.com (or a dump of their database), get the official airdate, update j-archive.com with bona fide accurate info, rejoice. I think.
Welp, knowing what I know I could probably get a full dump after ~100 refreshes of their site...once i figure out a way to sanitize the raw data.