Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

chuck5982 wrote:With five wins and $146,200, Joon Pahk moves into fifth place in the ToC standings.
And #12 in winnings all time, knocking Arthur Gandolfi out of the Top 15.

The more contestants we get, the more Top 20 ones we have in the ToC. Tom Nissley (3rd with $235,405), Roger Craig (4th with $230,200), Mark Runsvold (9th with $153,400), Joon, Justin Sausville (18th with $134,000) and Tom Kunzen right behind him in 19th with $133,402. Combined, that's $1,033,007 in winnings among 6 contestants
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
chuck5982 wrote:With five wins and $146,200, Joon Pahk moves into fifth place in the ToC standings.
And #12 in winnings all time, knocking Arthur Gandolfi out of the Top 15.

The more contestants we get, the more Top 20 ones we have in the ToC. Tom Nissley (3rd with $235,405), Roger Craig (4th with $230,200), Mark Runsvold (9th with $153,400), Joon, Justin Sausville (18th with $134,000) and Tom Kunzen right behind him in 19th with $133,402. Combined, that's $1,033,007 in winnings among 6 contestants
Joon still has not secured his place in the upcoming ToC. If he remains unbeaten through November 1st, he will be carried over to the next group.

Go Joon!

WRV
Always Lies

Post by WRV »

Did anyone else here know the response from watching "The Social Network"? I remembered that Albert was the prince of Monaco and son of Grace Kelly, but I couldn't get his name until I remembered he appeared in the movie (He meets the Winkelvoss twins after they lose their race in England).
"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company." -Jean-Paul Sartre

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A family moved in across the street a few years back, and I was talking to the husband and he was telling me that he'd been in the Olympics. He was in shape, but hardly what you would think of as an Olympian. I thought he was kidding, but I looked it up, and sure enough, he had been on ... the Virgin Islands bobsled team. He even did not finish last a few times (although behind Jamaica).

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

MarkBarrett wrote:Joon: Did League of Nations really take that long or do you have a strategy to give all DDs a second look?
i thought of the league right away, but i wasn't sure so i spent some time considering alternatives (nuremberg trials?). eventually decided i didn't like the alternatives as much as my first thought. i don't have a general strategy for daily doubles (i think i answered pretty quickly on germanium), but i do seem to have a habit of finding ones that i don't know... or that i do know but want to triple-check because i've gone all-in for $16,400. ;)
WRV wrote:Did anyone else here know the response from watching "The Social Network"? I remembered that Albert was the prince of Monaco and son of Grace Kelly, but I couldn't get his name until I remembered he appeared in the movie (He meets the Winkelvoss twins after they lose their race in England).
funny you should ask...

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Better late than never, I suppose...

Royalty
The son of an Oscar winner, this prince is also a 5-time Olympian.
Spoiler
Who is Prince Albert (II of Monaco)? Adam and Joon both said Prince Rainier, his father.
Joon Pahk: $19,300-$2,500-$16,800...now a 5-day champion with $146,200
Bret Jacobs: $8,200+$8,199=$16,399
Adam Perrotta: $8,000-$201=$7,799

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I immediately figured out that they were referencing Grace Kelly as the Oscar winner, and that her son would be the Prince of Monaco, but could not for the life of me decide which of Rainier or Albert was the father/son. I had a vague recollection of the Olympic appearances, couldn't quite put my finger on the bobsled as the event, but as soon as I read it on Wiki afterward I instantly realized that I should have known that already. I initially wrote down Prince Rainier as my answer, then said "Wait, was it Prince Rainier that married Grace Kelly, or Prince Albert?" I went back and forth 3 or 4 times in my head, but never marked off my initial answer, eventually deciding that my first instinct was my best bet. I found it quite interesting that 2 of the 3 players made the same mistake I did, as well as several other people that have responded in this thread. I wonder why it is that so many of us apparently have such a hard time keeping those two names straight?

billiej

Post by billiej »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mathew Brady being guessed on the Lewis Carroll clue wasn't a complete surprise. I expected a rebound though instead of the TS.
I came up with Carroll, but I was a little thrown at first since the subjects were adults.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Mathew Brady being guessed on the Lewis Carroll clue wasn't a complete surprise. I expected a rebound though instead of the TS.
I came up with Carroll, but I was a little thrown at first since the subjects were adults.
Well, except Brady wasn't English or a children's author.

For me it was between Carroll and Lear. Figured Lear wouldn't be a top row clue that vague.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): House (9), Alien: Covenant (5), Baby Driver (9), Planetarium (4)

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote: For me it was between Carroll and Lear. Figured Lear wouldn't be a top row clue that vague.
You know you watch too much Jeopardy when you blurt out "Dodgson!" in response to that clue. :)