TD 261: Pointlessly Devoted to You

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

dinghammer
No Relation

TD 261: Pointlessly Devoted to You

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello, and welcome to...

Think Different 261: Pointlessly Devoted to You!

When I first read a TD thread, I was struck by the similarity to the British game show Pointless. This is my attempt at an homage to that show, though a few references to another show may have snuck in there.

Pointless, hosted by Alexander "Xander" Armstrong and Richard Osman, has been described as a "reverse Family Fortunes" (Family Feud in the US). 100 members of the British public answer various questions before the show, and contestants playing in pairs attempt to give the answers the fewest of those 100 people got. They're trying to get an all-important Pointless answer -- that is, an answer none of the 100 people gave. At the end of each round, the pair with the highest score is eliminated, but I won't be eliminating anyone.

Let's play something that's similar to but legally distinct from Pointless!

The Rules:
• I'm using standard TD scoring (points = # of players who gave that answer) with two exceptions:
  • Exception 1: Singletons (answers only one player gives) are worth zero points for questions 1-12. These are considered Pointless answers.
  • Exception 2: Question 13 uses special scoring. See question 13 for details.
• Incorrect answers score points equal to the highest-scoring answer plus 5.
• You may put XANDER as your answer to skip one question -- you get zero points, but this doesn't count as a Pointless answer.
• You may put RICHARD as your answer on one question to receive points equal to the highest-scoring correct answer.
There is to be no conferring. Don't Google, Bing, or Ask Jeeves any answers or otherwise seek help.
• For even-numbered questions, you must include the letter that corresponds to your answer.
• The player with the lowest total score will be the winner.
• Ties will be broken based on number of Pointless answers, then number of correct answers, then time submitted.
• Entries must be submitted by 11 PM EDT, September 21.
• Submit your answers in the Google Form linked at the end of the questions.
• If you have any questions that might give something away or want to change any of your answers, please PM me.

Q1: Our first category today is FILM. Players on Pointless compete in teams of two, so I thought I'd start with a question about some people who frequently work together. There are also a lot of film questions on Pointless.

FILM: Name any feature film directed by either Ron Howard or Martin Scorsese for which either Tom Hanks or Robert De Niro received an acting credit. Documentaries do not count.

Q2: My favorite type of question is the occasional WORDS round. Sometimes contestants have to provide words with a specific quality (such as "Words ending in ZZ" and "Words beginning and ending with K"), and sometimes they're given a list of words in a particular category (e.g., body parts, foods) in a foreign language and must provide the English name for one of those things. I've gone for the latter. Half the fun of these is hearing Xander try to pronounce the words, but alas, this is a text-only medium.

WORDS: Listed below are the names of animals in Italian. Give the English name for one of them. Include the letter of your response.

a. La iena
b. La pecora
c. Il fenicottero
d. La balena
e. Il cervo
f. Il polpo
g. La volpe
h. Il canguro
i. Il pesce
j. La aquila
k. Le stella di mare
l. Il ragno

Q3: Teams on Pointless get two chances to try to win. If they don't win in their first appearance, they get to play a second time. This is a question about something else happening more than once.

SPORT: Name any current country in which two or more Winter Olympic Games and/or two or more Summer Olympic Games have been held. They must have been held within the country's current borders at any time since the modern games began.

Q4: One of the saddest things to ever happen on the celebrity version of the show, Pointless Celebrities, was when Lee Mack spent 7 hours in London traffic to appear on his favorite game show only for his partner to give such a bad answer that by the time it was Lee's turn, they had already lost, and nothing he did mattered. Because Pointless sometimes has rounds featuring people with the same name, this seemed like the best way to honor him.

FAMOUS LEIGHS OR LEES: Listed below are clues to the identities of people who have Leigh or Lee as a first name or surname. Name one of them. Include the letter of your response.

a. Canadian former MuchMusic VJ, now the host of CBC Radio's Definitely Not the Opera
b. American actress and former Miss America known for her portrayal of Catwoman
c. English screenwriter and director known for Topsy-Turvy and Vera Drake
d. Korean-American comic book artist and writer, currently co-publisher at DC Comics
e. English comedian and actor known for Not Going Out
f. Either signer of the Declaration of Independence who fits this category (will be scored separately)
g. Former chairman of Chrysler Corporation
h. American actress known for Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Single White Female
i. Canadian bassist and singer with the band Rush
j. American actor known for Pushing Daisies and Halt and Catch Fire
k. Lead singer of Sixpence None the Richer
l. American jazz singer and songwriter who provided the voices for four characters in Lady and the Tramp
m. Retired American professional golfer who was struck by lightning at the 1975 Western Open
n. American actor and skateboarder known for My Name is Earl and Almost Famous
o. British actress known for Gone with the Wind and A Streetcar Named Desire

Q5: Science questions on Pointless are almost always about naming an element with a specific quality. I can remember four times they've been about something else, and two of those times, they've been about moons of the solar system. Here's a question about moons of the solar system!

SCIENCE: Name one of the 16 largest moons of the solar system by average diameter. They all have a diameter greater than 1000 km. #17, Enceladus, is ~500 km.

Q6: Music rounds are very popular. Sometimes they'll ask for any top 40 single or album by a certain artist, or they'll have song titles with colors in them and ask for the artists, or contestants will have to fill in a missing word in a song title. This seemed like the kind of song people around here should know something about.

MUSIC: Each artist listed below released at least one single with a title in the form of a question that reached the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Each song's title includes a question mark. Name one of those songs. Include the letter of your response. I won't accept Ain't She Sweet for a, because I couldn't find any evidence it was ever released with a question mark.

a. The Beatles
b. Tom Jones
c. Chicago
d. Rod Stewart
e. Eurythmics
f. Band Aid
g. Pet Shop Boys featuring Dusty Springfield
h. Phil Collins
i. Snoop Doggy Dogg
j. R.E.M.
k. Toby Keith
l. Rihanna featuring Drake

Q7: In addition to somewhat normal questions about Olympics or snooker players, there are some unusual sports questions that sometimes turn up, like asking for male tennis players who have lost in the finals of Wimbledon, or any tennis player who has lost to Martina Navratilova in any Grand Slam finals. This question combines that sort of question with the theme of Pointlessness in general.

SPORT: Name any Major League Baseball team that has lost a World Series zero games to four. The scores of the individual games don't matter. I only need the team name, not the city or state.

Q8: Unfortunately for people like me, Pointless only accepts contestants who reside in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Fortunately, those things are all known by their initials, so I can sublimate my disappointment into writing questions on that theme.

UK of GB and NI: Listed below are clues to various people, places, and things with the initials UK, GB, or NI. Identify one of them. Include the letter of your response.

a. Educational institution where US Senator Mitch McConnell studied law
b. American duo whose "Crazy" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2006
c. Australian territory and former penal colony named after Mary Howard by Captain James Cook
d. Stage name of Matthew Shafer, who had a US #5 hit with "Follow Me" in 2001
e. Scottish actor who starred in 300 and Dracula 2000
f. Hyphenated African country, declared independence from Portugal in 1973
g. British-Australian singer-songwriter best known for her song "Torn"
h. Brooklyn-based indie rock band fronted by Ed Droste
i. In quantum mechanics, the type of force-carrying particle that includes gluons and photons
j. German actor, b. 1944, who has appeared in many cult horror movies including Dracula 3000
k. Prime Minister of the UK, 2007-2010
l. Multinational "Gypsy punk" band fronted by Eugene Hütz

Q9: Another of my favorite categories is the Geography round. Asking for things like European capitals south of London, countries with E as the first vowel in their names, or non-Commonwealth countries the queen has visited, it's always a lot of fun to guess dozens of places and see what's right. For this question, I'm leaning closer to the WORDS-round style of geography question.

GEOGRAPHY: Name any country whose conventional short form name begins and ends with the same letter. By "country" I mean a sovereign state that's a member of the UN in its own right.

Q10: Another regular fixture of Pointless is the picture round. From showing a photo of a cricket team and having contestants name the players to showing actors with beards and having contestants name those actors, they provide all the looking-at-things-and-saying-what-those-things-are action anyone could hope for.

SWORDS: Below are scenes from films in which people are holding swords. Identify one of the films. Include the letter of your response.
SpoilerShow

Q11: On the show, an incorrect answer is worth 100 points. If both players give incorrect answers, they're said to have joined the "200 Club". Here's a question about a different sort of 200 club.

TELEVISION: Name any scripted drama or animated program that has aired 200 or more episodes as of September 14 2015 and is currently airing first-run episodes on the US channels ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, or The CW. This includes any show returning in the fall that hasn't started its new season yet. I won't accept Hawaii Five-O or other remakes of shows that originally aired 200 or more episodes.

Q12: One of my favorite questions I've seen in the Pointless app asks players to name the US President at the time of various historical events, mostly occurring outside the US. I hope to someday see that episode so I can see how well the contestants handled it. This is my attempt at a version of that.

HISTORY: Below is a list of historical events. Name the British or English monarch who ruled at the time of one of these events. Include the letter of your response. Answers without a regnal number or nickname will be considered the first of that name. Hint: none of them is named Richard, and nobody appears as an answer more than once.

a. Jesse Owens wins four Olympic gold medals
b. Ferdinand Magellan is killed
c. Construction of the Berlin Wall begins
d. President William McKinley is assassinated
e. Alex Trebek is born
f. John Brown conducts his raid on Harpers Ferry
g. Galileo discovers the four largest moons of Jupiter
h. The storming of the Bastille occurs
i. Archduke Franz Ferdinand is assassinated
j. The Battle of the Alamo is fought
k. Osman I founds the Ottoman Empire
l. Abel Tasman becomes the first European to sight New Zealand
m. Virginia Dare is born in the Roanoke Colony
n. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson die
o. Pope Clement V formally disbands the Knights Templar

Q13: This question has different scoring than the previous questions! When there's a tie for the highest score in a round of Pointless, they enter "lockdown". Each team must give another answer to that round's question, and the team with the highest score is eliminated. This is my attempt at a much less harsh homage to that situation, and it works like regular Pointless, except you're the "100 people".

LOCKDOWN: Choose one of the previous 12 questions and answer it again with a different answer. You must include the number of the question and, if the question required it, the letter of your response. You may not use the RICHARD or XANDER helps for this question.

Your score for this question will be equal to the number of players who gave that answer for the original question. Wrong answers will receive points equal to the wrong answer score for that question. Answers that were originally Pointless are worth one point. Answers that were originally unused are considered Pointless answers and will earn zero points. This is not a tiebreaker; it adds to your score normally.

Please submit your answers using this Google Form.
Last edited by dinghammer on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinghammer
No Relation

Re: TD 261: Pointlessly Devoted to You

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Participants:
SpoilerShow
  1. Gamawire
  2. quarterrican
  3. Abraxas
  4. MarkBarrett
  5. cf22
  6. caknuck
  7. Blue Lion
  8. dnbguy
  9. clprez
  10. psgola
  11. ElendilPickle
  12. Ryno
  13. MitchO
  14. 9021amyers
  15. patkav
  16. immaf
  17. Plactus
  18. BigDaddyMatty
  19. mahatma
  20. Category 13
  21. Peachbox
  22. mennoknight
  23. dott888
  24. econgator
  25. Holocene Hero
  26. sillymonkey
  27. goforthetie
  28. Peggles
  29. TerrHeel
  30. Woppy T
  31. Dude33
  32. Bamaman
  33. Tigershark
  34. barandall800
Last edited by dinghammer on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 15 times in total.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Clarifications:

If all answers for a given question are Pointless, a RICHARD answer will also score zero points, but it won't count as a Pointless answer.
Last edited by dinghammer on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Important Notice:

I made a huge mistake when I researched question 6. I've reworded it to remove the years, so any Top 40 song in the form of a question by the listed artists is acceptable.

This doesn't invalidate any answers given so far, but anyone who has already submitted should feel free to PM me if they want to change their answer based on this information. This won't affect your submission time.
Last edited by dinghammer on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:12 pm

dinghammer wrote:Important Notice:

I made a huge mistake when I researched question 6. I've reworded it to remove the years, so any song in the form of a question by the listed artists is acceptable.
I was just about to PM you and tell you you might have the wrong year on a couple of answers in Q6.

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 pm

I made a huge mistake when I researched question 6. I've reworded it to remove the years, so any song in the form of a question by the listed artists is acceptable.
Mine wound up having a question mark AND an exclamation point. Still OK?
@caknuck

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:50 pm

caknuck wrote:

Mine wound up having a question mark AND an exclamation point. Still OK?
That's fine.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:42 am

I edited my Important Notice above to clarify that the song still has to be a Top 40 hit. It's still in the question, but I think it may have been unclear in the notice. Thanks for your patience.

I'll explain exactly what the problem with the question was during the reveal.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 pm

This was about to fall off page 1, and I conveniently thought of a rules clarification that was implied by the rules but wasn't explicitly stated:

If all answers for a given question are Pointless, a RICHARD answer will also score zero points, but it won't count as a Pointless answer.

Also, I'd like to thank everybody who posted advice in this thread, which I read shortly before posting, and which led me to subtly alter some questions that could have otherwise been contentious.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by dinghammer on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:15 pm

I hit 23 players, and the thread skidooed right off the front page.

I hope it's not giving anything away to mention that there are still Pointless answers available for every question.

Over 3 days left!

Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Friendly bump! Hyped for this TD

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Holocene Hero wrote:Friendly bump! Hyped for this TD
Thank you!

With just over 30 hours to go, I wanted to mention a few things, aside from the fact that there's still plenty of time to enter and plenty of good answers up for grabs:
  1. I don't know if Xander always starts Pointless the same way, but on Friday's episode, he introduced it as, "the show where the aim of the game is to score as few points as you can, and you do that by coming up with the answers that no one else can think of." That's much more succinct than anything I wrote, though of course this game is more about the answers that no one else picks.
  2. Question 5 was originally going to be about elements, because most SCIENCE question on Pointless are about elements. I was going to ask for any chemical element with a one-letter symbol, but seeing a lot of element questions around, and my desire to have something less similar to questions 8 and 9, led me to change the question. Sorry, dhkendall! I saw that right after I'd decided.
  3. In one of the name-an-element-with-this-property rounds, I remember a contestant saying something along the lines of, "I know some elements that fit, but I'm not sure if they're chemical elements."
  4. And of course, thanks to Vermonter for the TD tracker. There's no way I would have attempted something like question 13 without a reliable spreadsheet to manipulate.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:59 pm

8 hours left. Plenty of time for new players to enter and old players to make any last-minute substitutions!

Today I learned that the convert-tabs-to-newlines search-and-replace I'd been using to send people their answers can be reversed to turn manually-submitted answers into Excel-compatible answers with the greatest of ease.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 pm

2 hours left! Last call for entries!

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:03 pm

And it's closed! I'll update the players list, and I'm hoping to have the unbelievably gruesome results for question 1 up tonight.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:15 am

Let the results begin! We start with a question that left more carnage in its wake than John Rambo in Rambo (2008).

Q1: FILM: I asked you to name any feature film directed by either Ron Howard or Martin Scorsese for which either Tom Hanks or Robert De Niro received an acting credit.

I was delighted when the first set of answers I got (gamawire's) included the one tricky answer available. I wasn't expecting this to be the bloodbath it turned into.

APOLLO 13 (Ron Howard & Tom Hanks) — 5 responses
caknuck
clprez
dnbguy
econgator
Plactus

ANGELS & DEMONS (Ron Howard & Tom Hanks) — 4 responses
Abraxas
Holocene Hero
mennoknight
Peggles

SPLASH (Ron Howard & Tom Hanks) — 4 responses
9021amyers
Bamaman
psgola
quarterrican

CAPE FEAR (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — 2 responses
goforthetie
patkav

GOODFELLAS (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — 2 responses
MarkBarrett
MitchO

THE KING OF COMEDY (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — 2 responses
Category 13
Ryno

BACKDRAFT (Ron Howard & Robert De Niro) — Pointless!
Gamawire

CASINO (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — Pointless!
TerrHeel

NEW YORK, NEW YORK (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — Pointless!
Woppy T

RAGING BULL (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — Pointless!!
dott888

TAXI DRIVER (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro) — Pointless!!
cf22

THE DA VINCI CODE (Ron Howard & Tom Hanks) — Pointless!!!
ElendilPickle

XANDER (DROP)
Dude33
Tigershark

Incorrect Answers (10 Points):

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (starred Tom Hanks, but it was directed by Penny Marshall)
mahatma

BAND OF BROTHERS (TV series, not directed by Howard or Scorsese, but at least Tom Hanks was in an episode)
immaf

ROAD TO PERDITION (starred Tom Hanks, directed by Sam Mendes)
barandall800
BigDaddyMatty

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (starred Tom Hanks, directed by Steven Spielberg)
sillymonkey

THE GODFATHER (directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and De Niro was only in the second one)
Blue Lion

THE TERMINAL (starred Tom Hanks, directed by Steven Spielberg)
Peachbox

Unused Answers:

MEAN STREETS (Martin Scorsese & Robert De Niro)

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:44 am

We start with an 8-way tie for first and a 7-way tie for last!

Standings after Question 1:

1. cf22 — 0 pts
1. dott888 — 0 pts
1. Dude33 — 0 pts
1. ElendilPickle — 0 pts
1. Gamawire — 0 pts
1. TerrHeel — 0 pts
1. Tigershark — 0 pts
1. Woppy T — 0 pts
9. Category 13 — 2 pts
9. goforthetie — 2 pts
9. MarkBarrett — 2 pts
9. MitchO — 2 pts
9. patkav — 2 pts
9. Ryno — 2 pts
15. 9021amyers — 4 pts
15. Abraxas — 4 pts
15. Bamaman — 4 pts
15. Holocene Hero — 4 pts
15. mennoknight — 4 pts
15. Peggles — 4 pts
15. psgola — 4 pts
15. quarterrican — 4 pts
23. caknuck — 5 pts
23. clprez — 5 pts
23. dnbguy — 5 pts
23. econgator — 5 pts
23. Plactus — 5 pts
28. barandall800 — 10 pts
28. BigDaddyMatty — 10 pts
28. Blue Lion — 10 pts
28. immaf — 10 pts
28. mahatma — 10 pts
28. Peachbox — 10 pts
28. sillymonkey — 10 pts

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:09 am

Awww, I really meant to enter this one! But I got busy and time ran out. Someone please keep last place warm for me?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:31 am

Aargh. :( Sam Mendes, it's a good thing I love "Skyfall"...