Tuesday, September 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7127, 2015-09-15

CONTESTANTS
Audrey Watkins-Fox, a mortgage coordinator originally from Lockport, New York
Andy Anderson, a high school math teacher originally from Batavia, Illinois
Ed Kim, a small business owner from Whittier, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $17,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. We couldn't have asked for a better kickoff to our new season than yesterday's program. It was very exciting, and at the end in Final Jeopardy!, Ed, sort of like Cool Hand Luke, he didn't risk anything in Final, and yet wound up winning $17,200. So, good for him, and let's see what happens today as he plays against Audrey and Andy. Let's go to work. And now we'll reveal the categories for this Jeopardy! Round, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUT SOME FIBER IN YOUR DIET (5/5)
THE 1990s (5/5)
AKC-DEFINED BREEDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: That's the American Kennel Club, of course.)
AUTO RACING (4/4)
GIVE (2/3)
"TAKE" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Audrey: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Ed: 8 R, 2 W
Andy: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Audrey found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Ed had $800, Andy had $400, and Audrey was at $1,800. Audrey made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

AKC-DEFINED BREEDS $800: It's "hailed as the world's leading police, guard and military dog... most commonly black and tan"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Audrey: $5,400
Ed: $1,200
Andy: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Many people learn a second language for business purposes or perhaps because they marry someone who speaks that language, but, uh, our challenger, Audrey Watkins-Fox, is learning a second language for a completely different reason.

Audrey: I actually teach myself Swedish in, uh, my spare time because I love Greta Garbo and ABBA. And, um, those are the two reasons why I learn it. And it's a really fun language to learn, and I hope to go to Sweden someday and test it out.

Alex: Now, did ABBA record many albums in Swedish?

Audrey: They do have an album in Swedish. Uh, Pa Svenska is what it's called. Means "In Swedish".

Alex: Well, of course, "Pa Svenska."

[Laughter]

[Alex hums]

Alex: Andy Anderson, high school math teacher. Comes to us today as a result, I believe, of our connection with Windy City Live in the city of Chicago. Tell me how that came about.

Andy: Yes, I had an audition, um, on a Sunday. And got a call from Windy City Live saying, "We'd like you to--have you come on the show, talk about your audition." And then they revealed at that time that I was gonna be flying to L.A. and be a contestant.

Alex: So when you were asked to be on the show, you did not know that you had passed the test and were gonna be with us today?

Andy: Correct, correct.

Alex: All right, that's got to be--so it was a total surprise.

Andy: Yeah, pretty exciting, too.

Alex: All right, Ed Kim is a big fan of a television show that is going to come back to the air. And that show is...

Ed: It's Twin Peaks.

Alex: Twin Peaks.

Ed: So I was a big fan of it, um, for many years now.

Alex: It didn't run for very long.

Ed: That is true. Only two seasons. And actually, when it first aired, I was a little bit too young to really fully understand the show. Um, but in my later college years, I would watch it at least a couple times a year, the whole series. And 25 years almost to the day it's coming back, next year.

Alex: Okay, all right, we're getting back into this, and Audrey makes the next selection.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"TAKE" $1000: A horse race in which money is bet & divided among the winners
(Andy: What is winner-take-all?)

GIVE $800: The first kibbutz was founded in 1909 with help from the JNF, this "Fund" known for its blue charity boxes

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Audrey: $8,200
Ed: $3,200
Andy: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CITY BY THE BAY (4/5)
THE NATURALIZATION OATH (1/3)
RECORD OF THE YEAR GRAMMYS (4/5)
GETTING OFF THE GROUND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CROSSWORD CLUES "K" (4/5)
SHAKESPEAREAN DEATHMATCH (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ed: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Audrey: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Andy: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Audrey snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Ed had $3,200, Andy had $2,200, and Audrey was at $9,000. Audrey wagered $3,500.

SHAKESPEAREAN DEATHMATCH $1200: This guy kills his wife Emilia after she reveals his unjust adultery accusations
(Audrey: Who is Othello?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ed who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Ed had $12,000, Andy had $3,000, and Audrey was at $12,700. Ed wagered $4,000.

GETTING OFF THE GROUND $1200: Russia's An-225 Mriya has the largest current wingspan of any plane at 290', but it's still 30' short of this 1947 plane

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CROSSWORD CLUES "K" $1600: Long-horned grasshopper kin
(7)

RECORD OF THE YEAR GRAMMYS $1200: Get fired up for the song heard here, which in 1979 won the Grammy for this band
(Andy: What is Earth, Wind & Fire?)

CITY BY THE BAY $1200: Miami, Florida

THE NATURALIZATION OATH $2000: You renounce fidelity to princes & these "strong" rulers that also start with "P"

THE NATURALIZATION OATH $1600: You take your obligation "freely, without any mental" this
(Andy: What is duress?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ed: $18,000
Audrey: $12,700
Andy: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GREAT THINKERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Ed: Wager $7,401 to cover Audrey, but no more than $11,199 so as not to fall behind Andy's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $601.
Audrey: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,100 (martian), and you'll win the game if Ed wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Andy: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
239 years ago he wrote of "the enormous debts which... will in the long run probably ruin all the great nations of Europe"

FINAL SCORES
Andy: $3,400 - $3,400 = $0 (Who is A. Hamilton) (3rd place)
Audrey: $12,700 + $12,700 = $25,400 (Who is Adam Smith) (New champion: $25,400)
Ed: $18,000 - $7,401 = $10,599 (Who is Alexander Hamilton?) (2nd place)
(Alex: [*], who authored The Wealth of Nations.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Audrey: $15,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ed: $15,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Andy: $3,400, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Audrey: 21/60 = .350
Ed: 17/59 = .288
Andy: 10/58 = .172
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE 1990s $1000: About $25 billion in damage to Florida was the bill from this Atlantic hurricane, the first named one of 1992
(Ed: What is Hugo?)

PUT SOME FIBER IN YOUR DIET $1000: Mentioned in the book of Genesis, these legumes are a good source of fiber & folic acid

AUTO RACING $400: (I'm Kyle Busch.) In 2005, at age 19, I set a record as the youngest NASCAR driver to win this alliterative spot in a cup series race

GIVE $600: This 150-year-old "military" charity uses $2 billion in annual donations to help people in more than 100 countries
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now, you're right.)

AUTO RACING $800: (I'm NASCAR driver Greg Biffle.) In June 2013, I was driving a Ford, not a Toyota, when I won this state's Quicken Loan 400
(Ed: What is Ohio?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CITY BY THE BAY $400: Cambridge, Maryland
(Andy: What is Baltimore?)
(Audrey: What is Massachusetts Bay?)

GETTING OFF THE GROUND $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Here's the route she took trying to fly around the world; in July 1937, she began the longest leg of the journey, 2,600 miles over open water to Howland Island; she never made it

GETTING OFF THE GROUND $1600: (Hi, I'm Mark Kelly.) In 2011 I commanded the final mission of this space shuttle named for the ship commanded by Captain James Cook on his first voyage of discovery in the Pacific
(Alex: [*] is right, with less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a German shepherd
a sweepstake
the Jewish National Fund
Iago
the Spruce Goose
katydid
the Doobie Brothers
Biscayne Bay
potentates
reservation
Adam Smith
Andrew
lentils
pole position
the Salvation Army
Michigan
Chesapeake
Amelia Earhart
the Endeavour
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

:D
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Would Kamora have been acceptable instead of Kahlúa? I can't remember any reason why not, but I forgot to go back and check.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Kamora is also a six-letter coffee liquor, so I'm sure they would take it.

Congratulations to Audrey! She was really smart, though I thought that DD was going to sink her, especially when Ed roared into 1st place after just wagering $4000. Sorry, Ed!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Plactus wrote:Would Kamora have been acceptable instead of Kahlúa? I can't remember any reason why not, but I forgot to go back and check.
Looks like it would have, yeah.

1776 important for two things -- our independence and The Wealth of Nations. I was not fooled. :)
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was another really good game; congratulations to Audrey on her win. I had 40 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Jewish National Fund and katydid. I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Great Thinkers

239 years ago he wrote of "the enormous debts… which will in the long run probably ruin all the great nations of Europe."
Spoiler
Who is Adam Smith? Andy and Ed wrote Alexander Hamilton.

Andy Anderson: $3,400 - $3,400 = $0
Audrey Watkins-Fox: $12,700 + $12,700 = now a 1-day champion with $25,400
Ed Kim: $18,000-$7,401=$10,599
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Could've run the AKC category, but the infodumping left me in serious overthink mode. "Well, a dalmatian is spotted, but what do they have to do with horses? Who said anything about a horse?!?"

All but Hurricane Andrew in 1990s, and all but Doobie Brothers in Record. I've known the name "Doobie Brothers" for ages, but could tell you literally nothing else about them until I looked them up just now. I've even heard "Listen to the Music" but never put an artist to it.

Lach Trash: katydid.

I've vaguely heard of Adam Smith, but his name is just too generic to stick in my head, so I didn't even have a legit guess.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Kamora is also a six-letter coffee liquor, so I'm sure they would take it.

Congratulations to Audrey! She was really smart, though I thought that DD was going to sink her, especially when Ed roared into 1st place after just wagering $4000. Sorry, Ed!
I had learned during my own studying that "1776" + "economics" was Pavlovian for "Adam Smith," and it didn't even occur to me until the FJ answers were revealed that Alexander Hamilton would have been a reasonable guess as well just based on the time period. Sometimes it helps to have the blinders on, but it was a good reminder to myself to be careful with that in any trivia game lest the opposite be the case.

I cheered at the $4000 wager. Ed, were you familiar with Just Wager $4000 at the time? As a Lynch fan, props on the Twin Peaks plug.

Also, what exactly did Alex give as his reason for most people learning a foreign language? Something about "for a spouse"? Whaaa?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Could've run the AKC category, but the infodumping left me in serious overthink mode. "Well, a dalmatian is spotted, but what do they have to do with horses? Who said anything about a horse?!?"
They show up in advertisements together.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Near instaget FJ. Finally they get away from 'invisible hand' and quote something else from Adam's monster book!

RQ cranial math reveals 1776 but quickly recognized this is not about American Revolution but another writer... tricky, tricky!

49R with 5 LT: Mental Reservation, Princes & Potentates; The Doobie Brothers; Katydid; sweepsTAKEs.

Almost a 50er for goats... getting closer. :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

90's (5), Dog (2), Fiber (1), "Take" (2), Auto (4), Give (3)
City (3), Oath (1), Grammy (4), Ground (3), "K" (3), Death (1)

Lach Trash: "Jewish National Fund" (wild guess), "katydid", "Doobie Brothers", "Biscayne"

Instaget FJ- knew Wealth of Nations was 1776.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

$14,600 for me today. 5 for 5 in THE 1990's.

Missed Final (said Karl Marx).
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another strong, well played game. I also started with Hamilton but decided Smith was more likely going to be Smith due to the year.

Besides, anybody who lets someone fire a gun at them cannot be described as some who thinks great.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Plop. I fell right into the 1776 trap and guessed Jefferson. Didn't help that I never did memorize the Declaration, nor did I have the year of The Wealth of Nations internalized.

Congrats to Audrey. Strong overall and a great recovery.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:it didn't even occur to me until the FJ answers were revealed that Alexander Hamilton would have been a reasonable guess as well just based on the time period.
Ehh ... He was in the army during the War. 10 later on? Sure.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I did the math in my head for FJ, and got to the year 1776. Eventually went with Thomas Paine even though Adam Smith crossed my mind. Ouch.

Another good game to start the year. Hoping there's another one tomorrow.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

econgator wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:it didn't even occur to me until the FJ answers were revealed that Alexander Hamilton would have been a reasonable guess as well just based on the time period.
Ehh ... it's not that reasonable. He was in the army during the War. 10 later on? Sure.
In other words, not a headscratcher. The exact quote was:

239 YEARS AGO HE WROTE OF "THE ENORMOUS DEBTS WHICH...WILL IN THE LONG RUN PROBABLY RUIN ALL THE GREAT NATIONS OF EUROPE"

Coulda been interpreted as a young Hamilton beginning to formulate an economic philosophy while seeing the cost of waging war with foreign powers.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Budphrey wrote:Plop. I fell right into the 1776 trap and guessed Jefferson. Didn't help that I never did memorize the Declaration, nor did I have the year of The Wealth of Nations internalized.

Congrats to Audrey. Strong overall and a great recovery.
She almost got a "Get off my TV!" after Massachusetts Bay, but that was a splendid recovery and a nice TOM on the Final. At least we now know from where several shibboleths about the national debt come.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.