FJs for the 10/3/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/3/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Issued in 2011, a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of a major event in U.S. history depicts this stronghold
85%
Visited by 15 million people a year, this spot in Britain honors an 1805 battle fought elsewhere
84%
He gave his horse a name that partly means "nag" in Spanish; the name he gave himself refers to a piece of armor
91%
The only time 3 actors from the same movie were nominated for best actor was for this high seas film
73%
The son of an Oscar winner, this prince is also a 5-time Olympian
64%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
43%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
ARTISTS ON FILM $1000: Colin Firth painted the title work as this artist in "Girl with a Pearl Earring"
65%
A STICKY SITUATION $400: Candy Land has changed its traditional sticky swamp of this to chocolate
47%
SONGS ABOUT GIRLS $2000: Appropriately, the 2011 film "Rio" featured the 1960s hit about "The Girl From" this place
95%
I guessed Toronto (Maple Leafs) for the missed DD in SPORTS VENUES.
27%

Total votes: 91

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/3/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REMEMBERING U.S. HISTORY

10/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Issued in 2011, a stamp commemorating the 150th anniversary of a major event in U.S. history depicts this stronghold

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN TRAVEL & TOURISM

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Visited by 15 million people a year, this spot in Britain honors an 1805 battle fought elsewhere

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY TITLE CHARACTERS

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He gave his horse a name that partly means "nag" in Spanish; the name he gave himself refers to a piece of armor

10/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR NOMINATIONS

10/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only time 3 actors from the same movie were nominated for best actor was for this high seas film

10/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROYALTY

10/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The son of an Oscar winner, this prince is also a 5-time Olympian

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Fort Sumter
Trafalgar Sq(uare)
Don Quixote
Mutiny on the Bounty
Albert
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 3-2-3-1-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

ARTISTS ON FILM $1000: Colin Firth painted the title work as this artist in "Girl with a Pearl Earring"

A STICKY SITUATION $400: Candy Land has changed its traditional sticky swamp of this to chocolate

SONGS ABOUT GIRLS $2000: Appropriately, the 2011 film "Rio" featured the 1960s hit about "The Girl From" this place

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Vermeer
Molasses
Ipanema
Requeted Extra Clue: SPORTS VENUES $2000 [DAILY DOUBLE]: In the beginning this team iced the puck at the Border Cities Arena in Windsor, Ontario; then for 50 years at Olympia Stadium
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/3/11 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: to the 8th power this week plus :oops: on the requested clue.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

:D :D :D :( :D
:D :D :D

It took me about 20 seconds to think of Ft. Sumter; I would have gone with Andersonville had I not. Both Tuesday and Friday were lucky gets because I had recently seen similar FJs on the Archive. I think I would have gotten Quixote with the category and the word "Spanish" alone. Friday's Thursday's clue was the rare Oscar trivia that I actually knew, but "Mutiny" was the only word I was sure about and lost the coin flip between Bounty/Caine for the thousandth time.

No problem with the bonuses. I did get the hockey DD wrong but I went with the other border team, the Sabres.

[Edited to correct a mistake that only took me 1,491 days to notice!]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(Detroit all the way... Red Wings, not Tigers. GO RANGERS! (Texas, not NY))

That last one should have the qualification of "despite knowing Windsor is right across the river from Detroit."
I mean, Toronto is not a bad guess if you've no idea where Windsor is.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never would have gotten Vermeer, but the rest I did.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote::mrgreen: to the 8th power this week plus :oops: on the requested clue.
Same here- - assuming Mark means to say that, like me, he went with Toronto on the requested clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:? :? :mrgreen:

So close to the perfecto (for FJs). Figured I had it with my "Albert II" on Friday. :oops: Oh well, at least I was in good company with my guess (ie Joon)

Clammed the first two bonus clues, even the Candy Land one for some reason (my kids even play that from time to time!) Was somewhat pleased to see the "Girl From Ipanema" and was a welcome earworm for the next few seconds.

As mentioned in the daily thread, got Detroit instantly, and was greatly surprised when it wasn't the slam-dunk I thought it was. Interested to see how it plays out.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
4 of 5 were easy gets; took a bit longer to choose Mutiny on the Bounty over my first thought, The Caine Mutiny.

Paused the DVR for a few seconds on that DD, and while Toronto was my first thought, it soon registered that Windsor, ON, was just across the river from Detroit (thanks, generalist).

BTW, I'd guess the other fort Alex was referencing was McHenry, with the math making clear they wanted Sumter.
In and out of the pool four times
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I've gotten 10 FJ's running... can't remember last time that happened. But I guess it's been too long since I played Candyland - clammed on the molasses. And I did guess Toronto... because I didn't know where Windsor was. But now I do!
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

:D :D :D :| :D
:oops: :x :mrgreen:

First four were pretty much instagets, got "Mutiny" so late that I probably wouldn't have had time to write it down. Let me know people if thats a miss.

Never played candy land, answered Van Meer instead of Vermeer. I once saw Bonny Prince Albert dump his sled after which he kicked and cursed it several times. Not a good role model.
Last edited by LeFlaneur on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Flaneur
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

All quick on the FJ save Albert, which came fast but I wasn't positive. Too long since Candyland (did I ever play it?) so too slow to molasses; had no answer. 13/15 FJ, 9/10 others this season. Thought of Toronto, Ottawa, then Detroit and knew it was right, all within a second. Boards still seem easy to me, except one, which I think was Friday's, and on that day J! was easier than DJ!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dhkendall wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

So close to the perfecto (for FJs). Figured I had it with my "Albert II" on Friday. :oops: Oh well, at least I was in good company with my guess (ie Joon)
Dunno why you're not going to accept "Albert II," it's technically more accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_II, ... _of_Monaco
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

With 33 votes in, 48% of boardies are reporting perfectos on the week's FJ's. If that pace keeps up, would it be a record? (at least for adult competition)?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:

and I can't find a maple leaf emoticon, but yes, that was my incorrect guess.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
:oops:

For the season:
FJ: 11-4
Extras: 5-4
Longest FJ winning streak: 7
Longest FJ losing streak: 1
5/5:0
4/5:2
3/5:1
2/5:0
1/5:0
0/5:0

No real chance on the movie or the painter. I never played Candyland, might have gotten it with a little thought, but there wasn't enough time. The Maple Leafs "won" the coin flip with the Sabres.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

:D:D:D:D:(
:D:D:D

Couldn't pull "Prince Albert" out of my can in time.

I have jingles from CKLW 800 in Windsor in my collection -- none of the jingles mention Windsor without also mentioning Detroit.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dhkendall wrote: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Dunno why you're not going to accept "Albert II," it's technically more accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_II, ... _of_Monaco
D'oh! Once again, I got the right answer and my answer mixed up in my head! I said "Ranier" (like Joon, with whom I was in good company).

I gotta stop doing that, I've got a few questions wrong in repeats by remember the wrong answer as the right one.
LeFlaneur wrote:Never played candy land
This doesn't matter, you just have to know something about the game. (This is a trap which an infamous member of our old digs got himself into a lot (and refused to rectify) - which reminds me, I had to lol when they mentioned how "hammerhead" was a synonym for a dunce on Friday's show ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

dhkendall wrote:... which reminds me, I had to lol when they mentioned how "hammerhead" was a synonym for a dunce on Friday's show ... )
That was a shark observation...
JTrivial
Valued Contributor

Post by JTrivial »

:) :) :) :( :)
:) :) :)
:(

Said "Captain's Courageous" for Thursday's, though I was pretty certain it was wrong.