Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Millionaire Season 16 Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Two different fathers were used as +1 lifelines today as a second lifeline when the contestant was not able to get enough help with the first lifeline.
Spoiler
$7,000 - The eliminated choices were The Andy Griffith Show and Bonanza.

Spoiler
$5,000

I guess Dad #1 didn't watch much TV in the 80s. The high audience miss rate on #2 is surprising, but maybe you could misunderstand the question as it does not explicitly state the musical was set there. Or maybe they just suck at geography.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vermonter wrote:I think a Family Feud writer snuck on to the Millionaire staff

(From Friday)
Spoiler
PLEASE tell me each possibility was said outloud
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Featured in the preview Twitter photos for this week is College champion Erin McLean. She becomes the third person from her college final to appear on Millionaire, joining Sam Spaulding and Hans von Walter. She'll try to join Bill MacDonald and Ken Jennings in the Dual-Six-Figure club.

Are there any other notable examples of Jeopardy episodes where all three contestants also appeared on Millionaire?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OMG, Elle!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote:OMG, Elle!
I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, kick, or yell. My head was down and shaking left and right through all four questions. There are times I worry about the future of the country.

Matt was the remedy as the follow-up player. He was not perfect, but in comparison he was Einstein.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, kick, or yell. My head was down and shaking left and right through all four questions. There are times I worry about the future of the country.
??
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
??
$500 - Used a lifeline and got it right.
$1000 - Used TWO lifelines and got it right.
$2000 - Got it right.
$3000 - Crashed and burned.

She was 19. I'm not sure why they take contestants that young (though the next guy was in college and did just fine). And while I try not to say bad things about contestants, I don't see how she passed the test.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote:
econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
??
$500 - Used a lifeline and got it right.
$2000 - Got it right.

She was 19. I'm not sure why they take contestants that young (though the next guy was in college and did just fine). And while I try not to say bad things about contestants, I don't see how she passed the test.
This is a bold claim, but that was probably the worst contestant I've ever seen on this show. She seemed to have no expectation of knowing anything at all and turned to the lifelines without any real consideration of the clues. Didn't even seem like she read them before turning to the audience on the first one and the other two on the second. She was just there to smile and talk about obsessing over 50 cent. Which is more than she made. Or deserved. Why do they put these people on? Do they really think that's good tv?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Hmm...I don't watch WWTBAM very often, but I might have to look this episode up. For this kind of reaction, the contestant must've been pretty terrible.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

It makes me irrationally angry when contestants who just have no business being on WWTBAM wind up on WWTBAM. I have been angry a lot this season.

There have been a few really good contestants, and several more who were good. But there have been too many who played...as if the producers had neglected to mention that there would be any quizzing involved.

I guess the show costs less to produce if most of the contestants leave with $5000.

But I keep watching it because I am looking for more game shows to try out for.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Ouch. Out of lifelines on question two. That might be a record even if you count the Shuffle format.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:$500 - Used a lifeline and got it right.
$2000 - Got it right.
And lest we give her too much credit, the $2,000 question asked for the missing word from an anagram. It was literally impossible to miss given a modicum of effort.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Wednesday 4/27 show had a firefighter from Tucson, Jason Collins, use his +1, also a firefighter, Craig, and introduced him as a Jeopardy! champion.

Craig Westphal: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2079

Spoiler for the +1 question:
Spoiler
$7000

The 2016 Craig did and did not look like how I remember the 2007 Craig depending on the facial expression. Yes, the years and a mustache can make a difference.

Is there anyone here (such as Doug Hicton) who can confirm or deny whether it's the same Craig?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
alietr wrote:$500 - Used a lifeline and got it right.
$2000 - Got it right.
And lest we give her too much credit, the $2,000 question asked for the missing word from an anagram. It was literally impossible to miss given a modicum of effort.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- her +1 was a friend of hers. Now seriously, wouldn't you want someone who would potentially complement and augment your own knowledge base? Someone older, perhaps? Oy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If someone had a way to upload her episode (or at least her segment) somewhere, I would be very grateful.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I hope she doesn't ever find this thread.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

MarkBarrett wrote:Is there anyone here (such as Doug Hicton) who can confirm or deny whether it's the same Craig?
That looks exactly like the Craig I saw in the TofC Yearbook.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- her +1 was a friend of hers. Now seriously, wouldn't you want someone who would potentially complement and augment your own knowledge base? Someone older, perhaps? Oy.
This happens with about 1/3 of all contestants, bringing on someone who cannot possibly help them in any way. Usually it's a parent
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Vermonter wrote:
alietr wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- her +1 was a friend of hers. Now seriously, wouldn't you want someone who would potentially complement and augment your own knowledge base? Someone older, perhaps? Oy.
This happens with about 1/3 of all contestants, bringing on someone who cannot possibly help them in any way. Usually it's a parent
From Twitter:
Millionaire TV
‏@MillionaireTV
Friday, Erin McLean has +1 lifeline. Think they help? See new #MillionaireTV @chrisbharrison http://MillionaireTV.com

Millionaire comes here. ;)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
From Twitter:
Millionaire TV
‏@MillionaireTV
Friday, Erin McLean has +1 lifeline. Think they help? See new #MillionaireTV @chrisbharrison http://MillionaireTV.com

Millionaire comes here. ;)
What? There's no wagering in Millionaire!