Wednesday, September 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by willwoodlen »

davey wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:If I understood Alex correctly at the start of the show, he was speculating about precedents for having a new champion every day of the first week of a new season. This happened in the 2002-2003 season. In fact, no champion repeated until Friday of the second week.

If this was not his point, never mind.
Yes, that was his point - not one of his most scintillating openings...

True. And Audrey has mercifully put to rest any further speculations for this season. And aren't we all delighted to be in a new season!!
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

irene wrote:Wanted to mention that Talia's "Turd Ferguson" answer to FJ was noted on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/17/entertain ... index.html
It's been on a lot more than that ... my Twitter search for Jeopardy has been taken over by people linking The Blaze, Slate, USA Today or Entertainment Weekly, and it's pushed Alex Trebek into a trending term on Google's Entertainment news section.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

And one of them actually has a bit of an interview with Talia: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... pardy.html
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MitchO wrote:And one of them actually has a bit of an interview with Talia: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... pardy.html
I had about 40 Facebook friend requests from strange men.
I bet I know who one of them was.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Count me as another who agrees that "Cromwell" should have been BMSed. I think Alex/the judges may have felt relief after two wrong answers and subconsciously did not want to push too far (although probably Talia did know it anyway). I remember that the usually authoritative Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows by Brooks and Marsh once mistakenly listed "Oliver Cromwell" as a character in a Henry VIII miniseries.

There were some weird wrong responses in this game (and a huge amount of leftover clues) but also some good gets - and all three had good anecdotes, which is always a nice bonus.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

"There are two (three!) British people named Cromwell in the same family associated with the monarchy in some fashion" is not sufficient reason to BMS on that clue.

I don't think. There isn't precedent, right? Do they prompt for "Oliver Cromwell" much?
Stanislaus Jacob

Lampy wrote:"There are two (three!) British people named Cromwell in the same family associated with the monarchy in some fashion" is not sufficient reason to BMS on that clue.
I don't know - anyone with even the slightest knowledge base knows that Theodore Roosevelt built the Panama Canal and Franklin Roosevelt enacted the New Deal, but I think if one of those came up in the $200 row a BMS might well be required.
Stanislaus Jacob

Lampy wrote:There isn't precedent, right? Do they prompt for "Oliver Cromwell" much?
That is a valid point - traditionally Oliver was by far the more famous Cromwell and would not have been BMSed. Due to the books and TV series, they are now much closer to equal.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Lampy wrote:There isn't precedent, right? Do they prompt for "Oliver Cromwell" much?
That is a valid point - traditionally Oliver was by far the more famous Cromwell and would not have been BMSed. Due to the books and TV series, they are now much closer to equal.
I'm not sure, does it really matter if both just happen to be famous, though? I'm not BMSing Huxley for "Darwin's Bulldog" right? Maybe J does?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lampy wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
I'm not sure, does it really matter if both just happen to be famous, though? I'm not BMSing Huxley for "Darwin's Bulldog" right? Maybe J does?
Like I said above, I don't think they've ever BMS'd Cromwell.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Lampy wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Like I said above, I don't think they've ever BMS'd Cromwell.
Cromwell seems to be a weird exception to the BMS shared last name rule. Doesn't seem to be a reason for it, it just is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Related to baby grand piano, here is a game I just put in the archive.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5039

Check out the $400 clue in "Ends in Z" in the DJ round.

The contestant said "Who are the Mertzes" and Alex said "Yes, the Mertzes". I don't think they should have taken that. Had the category just been "1950s TV", I might said OK, but it does not fit the "Ends in Z" rule.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Related to baby grand piano, here is a game I just put in the archive.

The contestant said "Who are the Mertzes" and Alex said "Yes, the Mertzes". I don't think they should have taken that. Had the category just been "1950s TV", I might said OK, but it does not fit the "Ends in Z" rule.
I have a further beef with that answer being accepted, as, not only does it not fit the category, it does not fit the clue.

But that ship has sailed.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Bamaman wrote:Related to baby grand piano, here is a game I just put in the archive.

Am I, like, disrespecting the show or something by thinking that pluralizing something that ends in Z doesn't cause a person to suddenly lack knowledge? Because I and obviously the judges think this is fine.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Lampy wrote:

Am I, like, disrespecting the show or something by thinking that pluralizing something that ends in Z doesn't cause a person to suddenly lack knowledge? Because I and obviously the judges think this is fine.
1. Mertzes doesn't end in 'z'.
2. Mertzes is not the characters' surname.

By your argument, the book of revelations should be perfectly acceptable.

Bad ruling.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

bpmod wrote:
Lampy wrote:

1. Mertzes doesn't end in 'z'.
2. Mertzes is not the characters' surname.

By your argument, the book of revelations should be perfectly acceptable.

Bad ruling.

Brian
Well, no. "The Book of Revelation" isn't something that is pluralizable, whereas a last name is something that's regularly pluralized in English. "The Mertzes" is a thing people can correctly say. I'd also accept "What are waltzes" in this category but not "What is The Last Waltzes"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lampy wrote: Well, no. "The Book of Revelation" isn't something that is pluralizable, whereas a last name is something that's regularly pluralized in English. "The Mertzes" is a thing people can correctly say. I'd also accept "What are waltzes" in this category but not "What is The Last Waltzes"
How do you feel about Hobbitses?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Late to the party...

Instaget FJ
Screwtape returns! :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOIL

Post by seaborgium »

J! once had a category called SONGS THAT "COME" AND "GO" to which one of the responses was a song with "Coming" in the title.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Lampy wrote: Well, no. "The Book of Revelation" isn't something that is pluralizable, whereas a last name is something that's regularly pluralized in English. "The Mertzes" is a thing people can correctly say. I'd also accept "What are waltzes" in this category but not "What is The Last Waltzes"
How do you feel about Hobbitses?
Wicked, tricksy, false.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH