Friday, September 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7130, 2015-09-18

CONTESTANTS
Tina Uihlein, a table game dealer originally from Ballwin, Missouri
Eric Matheis, a lecturer from New York, New York
Natalie Lips, an office assistant from Lincoln, Nebraska (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Last show of the first week of our 32nd season. Let's see if we can go out on a high note with Tina, Eric, and Natalie. Good luck. First round coming up now. And here are the categories in the Jeopardy! Round, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OED SAYS... (3/5) (Alex: The Oxford English Dictionary, of course.)
PRESIDENTIAL BOOKS (3/5)
THE ____ OF ____ (5/5)
RATERS GONNA RATE (2/2)
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TALK LIKE A PIRATE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Tina: 7 R, 0 W
Eric: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Tina: $3,200
Natalie: $2,600
Eric: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tina Uihlein is from Ballwin, Missouri. She's a table games dealer, which means that she gets to spend a lot of time with a great variety of people.

Tina: Yes.

Alex: Now when you're dealing, either blackjack or dealing with some other game, what are the kinds of people you really enjoy being there with you?

Tina: I love the people who come in, just have a good time. I mean, you get people who come in and they just wanna make money, and they're not gonna be happy unless they make money. And then, there are people who come in and they--they know what they wanna play, and they're just there to have a good time. And if they win money, it's a bonus.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Eric Matheis is a lecturer from New York. Obviously, a Renaissance man because he's a French teacher, uh, he started taking classes himself in drawing and painting. And you were pretty good at trivia in school, I understand.

Eric: That's right.

Alex: So good that they honored you. How did they do that?

Eric: Well, our school gave us an academic letter for our letter jacket for being on a team that was called Categories. We had a 5-person team, and we were on a local cable channel. And it was a lot of fun.

Alex: And were you winners all the time?

Eric: Very often we were, yeah. And I hope that I'm--I'm very glad I'm not competing against anyone from that team because they were pretty good, the other members.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, I hope you don't mean that in a disparaging way against these two ladies--

Eric: No, no.

Alex: --because right now, they're cleaning your clock.

Eric: No, no, they are.

[Laughter]

Alex: Natalie Lips has a sister, and they each have daughters. And I'm curious about the way you named your daughters.

Natalie: Well, Miranda always--Miranda's my sister--she always liked the name Emma and we used to watch a show where there are twin sisters named Sutton and Emma. And when I found I was pregnant with a daughter a couple years later, I decided to name my daughter Sutton.

Alex: That's kind of nice.

Natalie: Yeah. So now we got Sutton and Emma.

Alex: It makes the family even closer.

Natalie: Yeah. [Chuckles]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Natalie found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Natalie had $4,200, Eric had $1,600, and Tina was at $3,400. Natalie wagered $500.

AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY $800: Isn't it romantic? After flowing over Murchison Falls, waters from this lake eventually reach Lake Albert

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE OED SAYS... $200: It's "that which points the way", especially "a piece of evidence useful in the detection of a crime"
(Alex: How 'bout the word [*]? You don't want to overcomplicate the first clue in each category.)

THE OED SAYS... $800: It's "the name given by Guido D'Arezzo to the sixth note in his hexachords"
(Eric: What is Ti?)

PRESIDENTIAL BOOKS $400: While serving as president, he wrote "Between Hope and History"
(Alex: The man from Hope was [*].)

TALK LIKE A PIRATE $1000: "It's the world against us & us against the world", says Errol Flynn as this sanguine title pirate

PRESIDENTIAL BOOKS $800: In 1884 Mark Twain offered him a $50,000 advance for his "Personal Memoirs", which he finished just prior to his death

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Natalie: $5,100
Tina: $3,400
Eric: $2,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SMART PEOPLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP (5/5)
ALL IN A "ROW" (5/5)
LAND IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You tell us where.)
DYSTOPIAN LIT (5/5)
THE DETERGENT SERIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Eric: 7 R, 0 W
Tina: 7 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tina snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Natalie had $9,900, Eric had $6,000, and Tina was at $4,600. Tina wagered $2,000.

SMART PEOPLE $2000: The "test" of A.I. named for him is whether a computer can make a person think it's a person
(Tina: [Shakes head] I don't know.)
(Alex: Named for [*], the subject of a very excellent film this past year.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Natalie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Natalie had $20,700, Eric had $10,400, and Tina was at $6,600. Natalie wagered $2,000.

LAND IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM $1600: Huge cliffs called lobate scarps, discovered by MESSENGER
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAND IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM $800: Gagarin Crater
(Tina: What is Mars?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Natalie: $22,700 (lock game)
Eric: $10,400
Tina: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALPHABETS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Natalie: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,899 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Eric: Wager $2,801 to cover Tina.
Tina: You have the hope of surpassing Eric for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,000 and $6,598.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only letter of the Greek alphabet whose English spelling could also be identified as a number in Roman numerals

FINAL SCORES
Tina: $6,600 + $2,000 = $8,600 (What is Xi?) (3rd place)
Eric: $10,400 + $2,800 = $13,200 (What is Xi?) (2nd place)
Natalie: $22,700 + $500 = $23,200 (What is Xi?) (13201-day champion: $23,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Natalie: $22,600, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Eric: $10,400, 13 R, 1 W
Tina: $8,600, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $41,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Natalie: 23/60 = .383
Tina: 15/59 = .254
Eric: 14/58 = .241
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TALK LIKE A PIRATE $400: In this film Cary Elwes as the Dread Pirate Roberts calls Chris Sarandon a "warthog-faced buffoon"
(Alex: Yes, great film!)

THE ____ OF ____ $200: This Washington, D.C. landmark's Thomas Jefferson building houses its main reading room
(Alex: That's the blank-of-blank.)

THE ____ OF ____ $1000: (Alex Trebek delivers the clue from the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena, CA.) Even before you go through the front door at the Norton Simon Museum, you walk past a number of masterpieces by August Rodin, including this one, which depicts 6 townsmen who were willing to sacrifice their lives to help end the siege of their city by the English army

AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a world map on a monitor.) The continent of Africa, as well as its surrounding oceanic crusts, are part of the African one of these rigid pieces that make up the Earth's surface
(Alex: [*]--we'll accept that.)
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY $1000: The Blue Nile & the White Nile meet just north of this capital city
(Alex: [*] in the Sudan. Yes.)

RATERS GONNA RATE $400: A green splat icon denotes a bad review on this movie & TV rating site
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

DYSTOPIAN LIT $400: This novel is Aldous Huxley's 1932 take on genetic engineering
(Alex: That's the novel.)

DYSTOPIAN LIT $2000: Jonas is chosen as the receiver of memory in this Lois Lowry book, often cited as the original Y.A. dystopian novel
[Alex reads "Y.A." as "young adult.]

SMART PEOPLE $1200: A 2004 book collected these by Antonin Scalia, opinions where he was in the minority
(Tina: What is the Minority Report?)

THE DETERGENT SERIES $1200: Omnipresent:
"Everything" is a synonym for the name of this Sun Products brand
(Alex: With a minute to go, you are right.)

LAND IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM $2000: Maxwell Montes, discovered by cloud-penetrating radar
(Alex: [*], because it's covered in clouds.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Lake Victoria
clue
La
Bill Clinton
Captain Blood
Ulysses Grant
Alan Turing
Mercury
the Moon
Xi
The Princess Bride
the Library of Congress
The Burghers of Calais
continental plate
Khartoum
Rotten Tomatoes
Brave New World
The Giver
dissenting opinions (or dissents)
All
Venus

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Late surge by Natalie to secure the lock. Kind of a blah game to me.

I started FJ by trying to run the Greek alphabet before deciding it would be easier to go at it the other way and use Roman numerals and got it right pretty quickly.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alphabets

It's the only letter of the Greek alphabet whose English spelling could also be identified as a number in Roman numerals.
Spoiler
What is xi?
Tina Uhlein: $6,600+$2,000=$8,600
Eric Matheis: $10,400+$2,800=$13,200
Natalie Lips: $22,700+$500=$23,200; now a 2-day champion with $36,400
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Natalie on her second win and another well-played game. I had 37 correct responses including four triple stumpers: clue, la, Ulysses Grant, and the moon. I got FJ, but it took me about 15 seconds.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Bill Clinton, "la", Turing test (came across that term when doing research pertinent to the tech-y, transhuman-y stuff that makes me drool). When the Turing test is finally passed, you'll know because you'll hear my nerd-gasm halfway around the world.

The "clue" clue in OED for $200 could've been better.

WLT Jimmy Carter on Presdents for $200?

I thought Kalahari and Moody's AAA were also undervalued at $200.

I have less than zero interest in dystopian fiction, one of many reasons I will never touch Hunger Games with a 39 1/2-foot pole. But the 4/5 there surprised me. I've actually read The Giver a long time ago but don't really remember it.

So many 4/5s for me again: "Row" (all but "farrow"), Detergent (all but Dreft), and Dystopian (all but Handmaid's Tale).

Got FJ! before Alex was halfway through the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think Carter's clue mentioned Habitat for Humanity.

mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Instaget FJ for any Scrabble players

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Woo hoo, that's five in a row for me!

In Greek classes, students are taught to pronounce that letter ksee, but most Americans say it z'eye.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Betting question: Should Natalie have gone for a bet that covered the scenario where Eric gets the $1200 clue? I wasn't sure if there would be time for that last one; if he got it and stopped her game from being a lock, could be awkward for her.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

What was that clue for Dreft again? I'd never heard of it (it must not be up here in Canada), and I couldn't get it from whatever definition was in the clue. Something about purity…?

In fact, I couldn't find "dreft" in any dictionary online except the Urban Dictionary, and that definition isn't very appetizing.

dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

I couldn't figure out any of the detergent answers from the adjectives that started the clues. Strangely, though, went 5/5. Must spend too much time in that aisle of the grocery store. Or watching soap operas as a kid.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DHicton wrote:What was that clue for Dreft again? I'd never heard of it (it must not be up here in Canada), and I couldn't get it from whatever definition was in the clue. Something about purity…?

In fact, I couldn't find "dreft" in any dictionary online except the Urban Dictionary, and that definition isn't very appetizing.
I do grocery store resets, so I am familiar with the brand, but I don't think I've ever used it. I did not get this one, because the definition went over my head.

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Dreft is specifically for baby clothes... I don't remember the clue, but I would think it had to have been part of it.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was a much better game, for everyone at real and virtual lecterns. I had $32,600 and 41 R/ 0 negs. I completely misunderstood Final and immediately thought of "iota." Capital iota's symbol is I, which is the same as the letter "I." Boom, done. Wrong. Even if the clue were looking for the spelling representation of a Greek letter, there wouldn't be just one letter, as capital mu is M and capital chi is X.
Hoping for a third lap

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Bamaman wrote:
DHicton wrote:What was that clue for Dreft again? I'd never heard of it (it must not be up here in Canada), and I couldn't get it from whatever definition was in the clue. Something about purity…?

I do grocery store resets, so I am familiar with the brand, but I don't think I've ever used it. I did not get this one, because the definition went over my head.
Well, if anyone recalls what the clue said some time before it's in the J-Archive...

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Friggin' slow movers - I had a $39,800 Coryat before the buzzer. So close to my first 40k!

Took awhile but I got FJ.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Am I alone in thinking that the contestants were dressed very casually? Natalie looked like she was wearing a pajama top/long underwear, Eric had a zip-up jacket, and the Tina had a casual blouse and her hair in a pony tail. What's next - Alex Trebek in a track suit?

I'll admit it - I said Mu.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DHicton wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

Well, if anyone recalls what the clue said some time before it's in the J-Archive...
I'm always happy to honor such requests, but of course I have to see the show first:

THE DETERGENT SERIES $2000: Beneficent: This detergent designed to make babies' clothes soft & fresh was introduced in 1933

Natalie was correct with Dreft.

I was not surprised Natalie did not get "Tomorrow" based on her DD miss yesterday. Natalie sent me to Google after the show to figure out the show with twins Sutton & Emma. The Lying Game on ABC Family. Well that explains why I had no idea.

The FJ! category had me anticipate Sequoyah, St. Cyril, Braille and the NATO phonetic one.

The clue had me racing Eric and Tina to be done. Doing it the Roman numeral way saved a lot of time. Natalie got there, but I wonder if the result would have changed if she had been under more pressure in a non-lock game? As it played out her DD hit with Mercury coupled with the time's up signal before the $1200 clue played was ballgame.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MitchO wrote:Betting question: Should Natalie have gone for a bet that covered the scenario where Eric gets the $1200 clue? I wasn't sure if there would be time for that last one; if he got it and stopped her game from being a lock, could be awkward for her.
I believe she should have. Unless I miscalculated, Eric still couldn't have gotten within 2/3 of her if she missed. (That's the magic fraction where it's possible to win from 2nd place even if you miss FJ.) And if she'd gotten it right, she would've put the game beyond contention right there. So, essentially the same downside but a much better upside.