Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote: I am glad that I knew The Rose Tattoo but I thought that it was a wicked tough clue, even for $2000. I remember a factoid in quiz bowl coming up about it that mentioned that it is Williams' only play with a happy ending.
I came up with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and had no idea what it was, but modified it to The Man with the Dragon Tattoo, in an effort to make it fit the clue, but alas I was a little off.

Apparently I was all alone in somewhat enjoying the soap opera category, at least as a one-time thing. It was different, and it was humorous seeing the actors somewhat speaking in character, then suddenly turning toward the camera to give their clues. I found it far more interesting than the usual practice of whatever celebrities (i.e. Oprah) reading regular clues for no apparent reason. Certainly the fact that they still managed to get through all 60 clues played some part in my positive outlook on the category. They blew through the final category at a lightning-like pace, which I was grateful for, as I knew all 5 song titles. That may have been the fastest category in the history of Jeopardy!, although I doubt if anyone has ever made it a practice to watch the show with a stopwatch in hand.

katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Since I watched this from the audience, I can now say that I met Joon in the green room the morning of taping. I actually knew sort of who he was from the board, so my first thought was "oh, crap." Then I saw that DD bet and pretty much all of us waiting to tape had heart attacks.

Also, the "Constitutional No-Nos" category was renamed at the very last second. I think it was originally "Constitutional Nos" and Trebek was worried that it would be misread as "Numbers." Am I remembering that right, Joon?

It's very odd to watch on TV what you've already seen from the studio.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
StevenH wrote:Did anybody else only know this FJ because a similar came up as a FJ in the UToC? I actually thought that it was a pretty tough clue and would have had no idea otherwise.

I have Joon ranked number 2 in my rankings for the next ToC. His knowledge base is incredible, he has good buzzer speed, and he is very composed.
Actually, I confused myself with someone very obscure from the area on Final with Claudius Smith or Benedict Arnold. Reason I thought of Claudius Smith is he was busted in the Rockland-Orange County area around that time. Ended up going with Smith. (If SkoolRN knows her history well enough of where she lives, she should know who I am referencing)

Your ToC standings are taking another shake, that should be fun. I spent some time the other day re-reading your thoughts. This ToC is getting tougher. (Realistically, do you really expect him to win till November 1?)
Okay, as the gauntlet has been thrown... There's a hiking trail that begins at the Tuxedo train station and climbs up to the summit where Smith and his band of highwaymen used to survey the traffic coming through the Ramapo pass (now route 17 between Mahwah and Suffern.) And did you know that Smithtown, Long Island is named after him?
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

jeff6286 wrote:
StevenH wrote: I am glad that I knew The Rose Tattoo but I thought that it was a wicked tough clue, even for $2000. I remember a factoid in quiz bowl coming up about it that mentioned that it is Williams' only play with a happy ending.
I came up with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and had no idea what it was, but modified it to The Man with the Dragon Tattoo, in an effort to make it fit the clue, but alas I was a little off.

Apparently I was all alone in somewhat enjoying the soap opera category, at least as a one-time thing. It was different, and it was humorous seeing the actors somewhat speaking in character, then suddenly turning toward the camera to give their clues. I found it far more interesting than the usual practice of whatever celebrities (i.e. Oprah) reading regular clues for no apparent reason. Certainly the fact that they still managed to get through all 60 clues played some part in my positive outlook on the category. They blew through the final category at a lightning-like pace, which I was grateful for, as I knew all 5 song titles. That may have been the fastest category in the history of Jeopardy!, although I doubt if anyone has ever made it a practice to watch the show with a stopwatch in hand.
I actually swept the Williams category, which is more than I can say for any of the other ones tonight.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

SkoolRN wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
StevenH wrote:Did anybody else only know this FJ because a similar came up as a FJ in the UToC? I actually thought that it was a pretty tough clue and would have had no idea otherwise.

I have Joon ranked number 2 in my rankings for the next ToC. His knowledge base is incredible, he has good buzzer speed, and he is very composed.
Actually, I confused myself with someone very obscure from the area on Final with Claudius Smith or Benedict Arnold. Reason I thought of Claudius Smith is he was busted in the Rockland-Orange County area around that time. Ended up going with Smith. (If SkoolRN knows her history well enough of where she lives, she should know who I am referencing)

Your ToC standings are taking another shake, that should be fun. I spent some time the other day re-reading your thoughts. This ToC is getting tougher. (Realistically, do you really expect him to win till November 1?)
Okay, as the gauntlet has been thrown... There's a hiking trail that begins at the Tuxedo train station and climbs up to the summit where Smith and his band of highwaymen used to survey the traffic coming through the Ramapo pass (now route 17 between Mahwah and Suffern.) And did you know that Smithtown, Long Island is named after him?
Close. ;) The Blue Disc Trail starts at the end of Rockland County Route 97 (Johnsontown Road) and goes up through Almost Perpendicular to get there. (I've hiked the trail to Claudius Smith Rock with my father before twice.) - I'm aware of who Smithtown is named after, he's well known around New York. Good job nonetheless. I figured you would know who I meant.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Dang, my run of 10 straight FJs is over... I too said Benedict Arnold, even though I didn't think we got him back from the British to execute. I remembered Major Andre once they said it, but couldn't pull him out of my brain during the think music. I cheered when Joon made it a true daily double again - I was hoping he would as that category had seemed pretty easy so far. (I ran it, and I'm not even much of a math geek). I was hoping that 'asymptote' would be an answer - I'm juvenile and think it's fun to say. :lol:

Can't wait to see tomorrow's game - I love to watch really good players play. (I'm really looking forward to the ToC.)

Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Thejeopardyfan, my answer is no.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

To Roadgeek Adam:
I took my Girl Scout troop up that trail, which probably involved a lot more whinging and whining.
Casey Stengel.

Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

I ran the Williams category, even tho I haven't read any of his plays in over 40 years. And I was surprised that Hannah blanked on Loretta Sanchez. Her district is right next to Irvine and she's very well known around these parts. Also,there was a contestant from Irvine on in the last game as well, if I'm not mistaken. they must have had some no-shows.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I just signed on to check: are they done presenting the first Y&R clue yet?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't think there are enough "U"s to put in front of a TOC for Claudius Smith to ever be the correct response.

Between the talk shows hosted by Ellen, Regis and Barbara I'm sure all of the authors in Celebrity Memoirs have appeared at least once. Like Money, Money, Money that category was money in the bank. It was the Rivers that embarrassed me as I was only brave enough to guess two correctly.

Four of Joon's previous wins had higher Coryats than his 21400 tonight. The Math double up was brave and commendable. From a leading position there have been very few players willing to make that strong move.

The Tennessee Williams DD had me anticipating Summer and Smoke. The wording was helpful enough for me to go to the correct response. What are other possibles?
Suddenly Last Summer
Sweet Bird of Youth
Night of the Iguana

But not Some Like it Hot. Those things happen to the best of champs.

I find it hard to count letters quickly in guessing responses. I went for dependable over trustworthy for my lone ring in miss of the night with 10 letters instead of 11.

As someone who mixed up Arnold and Andre on the show (only cost me 1600 game money/about $8000 real money and not the game) I can't fault the players for going 0/3 on the solve. At home with full thinking time it was not going to be missed. We've heard about Smith and Cornwallis. Did anyone try Nathan Hale? Any other possibles?

Alex gave nice compliments to Hannah and Jared. If one of them would have been awful then the game could have turned their way for one of them. Instead they were equal, so Joon could not lose the game. The lock was not certain with plenty of clues remaining in the DJ round with Daily Doubles gone. Joon's DD move to double 14200 has to affect the upcoming taping day pool for the rest of this week. I expect more of a sense of urgency from the opponents tomorrow.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Just be glad the Y&R category didn't have Eric Braeden in it: not only would it have been slow, it would have been indecipherable. (I don't even know if he's still on the show -- last I saw it was in 1998 when I worked on the closed-captioning. As far as I could tell, all he ever said was "mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble, my boy.")

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote:But nobody has pointed out the truly amazing thing about this game -- they cleared they J! board! I didn't think that was going to be possible!
I wasn't surprised they finished J!. Since the last category completed was that "this eight-letter hyphenated word that begins with 'f' and ends with 'p'" category, I figured they were obligated to the 'performers' to finish it. What shocked me--shocked me!--was that they finished DJ! as well. Amazing they found something worse than Oprah, but credit for finishing both boards.

I knew they didn't want Benedict Arnold, knew he wasn't executed and never returned this side of the Atlantic. I also knew they didn't want Nathan Hale, but it's what I would have put down for the sake of a non-blank. I actually knew who they DID want, but I couldn't pull the name. Maybe I would have answered 'that guy who was in it with Benedict Arnold.'

I also thought the TOM on 'Rose Tattoo' was strong enough to make it a fair clue; I had it instantly. Burt Lancaster, Anna Magnani, hey.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Mark, I briefly considered Nathan Hale, but was pretty sure he was in the 1770s (not to mention there'd be no reason to relocate his remains).
Arnold flashed through my mind but, being a total Bradyholic, knew full well Benedict "Peter Brady" Arnold died in exile.
That left me only with Major Andre. The timing of the execution was right, and certainly England would want him back if possible. I was unhappy with the guess only because the difficulty level seemed high, but I had nothing better to offer.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

katiedidwhat wrote:Since I watched this from the audience, I can now say that I met Joon in the green room the morning of taping. I actually knew sort of who he was from the board, so my first thought was "oh, crap." Then I saw that DD bet and pretty much all of us waiting to tape had heart attacks.

Also, the "Constitutional No-Nos" category was renamed at the very last second. I think it was originally "Constitutional Nos" and Trebek was worried that it would be misread as "Numbers." Am I remembering that right, Joon?
i didn't want to welcome katie too warmly when she first showed up, since our air dates were so far apart, but ... yeah. retroactive warm hug! i think you are right about the constitution category. there was also a clue in there that he wanted to change the wording of, but i can't remember which one or how the original went.
alietr wrote:Can I ask a question? How come you're introduced as a 'teacher' as opposed to a 'professor'?
i'm not a professor. i've got a full-time teaching position, and i don't do research. (this is the way i prefer it, definitely—just about the only thing i learned in grad school was that i don't like research.) at harvard they call it a "preceptor", but nobody knows what that means so i decided to just go with teacher. it's what i do.
MarkBarrett wrote:The Tennessee Williams DD had me anticipating Summer and Smoke. The wording was helpful enough for me to go to the correct response. What are other possibles?
Suddenly Last Summer
Sweet Bird of Youth
Night of the Iguana

But not Some Like it Hot. Those things happen to the best of champs.

had to remind me, didn't you? i actually royally botched this category. (and yes, williams was a starting outfielder of mine for many years. not much range out there, but a cannon arm—after starting him in CF i eventually switched him with ibsen in RF, and that worked well.) in addition to the laughably wrong answer for cat on a hot tin roof, i have no idea why i didn't ring in on memphis. rose tattoo i don't feel bad about; it was in the back of my brain at one point but it's been too long for me to dredge it up. the others that you mentioned (plus my actual incorrect response) would all have been easier for me.
Joon's DD move to double 14200 has to affect the upcoming taping day pool for the rest of this week. I expect more of a sense of urgency from the opponents tomorrow.
well, katie's already intimidated, right? does that count for anything? ;)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Samer wrote:Warning:

After today, some of you might actually be thinking, "An Oprah category would be better than this!" :shock:
What I didn't like about the Y&R category wasn't as much the speed of the reading, but the utter suckity of the acting! And they make their living acting??

My second thing I didn't like about it was the convoluted way the clues were constructed. (Those lines woudln't even be uttered in a soap opera universe, never mind the real one). Third was how they stopped "acting" to each other and turned, almost eerily, to the camera, to deliver the clue part of their lines. Both of these were even more reviled than the pace.

(I'm thinking there was a Y&R tie in because it seems that elderly people like both soap operas and J!. Strange that most J! contestants aren't elderly, but demographics and my hearing of who other fans are (outside the board) are elderly ... )
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Years ago, they actually did promos with the scores blue-screened out.
I don't mind knowing scores beforehand (but that's just me, I don't even mind knowing who wins beforehand - but I do care about getting spoiled on a correct response - but I know I'm in the minority here), but I think it's more easily knowing if the champ of today will be there later in the week by seeing who is in the champion's slot. TPTB were really concerned about letting Ken's loss slip out so I believe the trailer that week didn't give it away. Why can't they use that logic for everyone?
alietr wrote:I said Benedict Arnold instantly and pressed skip on the DVR. Whoops!
I said Arnold and filled up the Think Music time with me entering in my scores in my record. Was embarrassing to go back and have to change it after. :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Frank Hardy wrote:Thejeopardyfan, my answer is no.
Dare I ask why? (I might just need to see the clue again.)
BTW, Joon: Do you "study" to improve your crossword-puzzling time, and if so, do you think that studying has helped you on the show? (I'm talking rivers and other things that come up a lot in puzzles.) Has just solving that many puzzles helped?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It said you had to have been this for nine years. You are only 21 for one year.

I did not know The Rose Tattoo was a Williams play, but guessed it on the contxt of the clue.

FJ was an instaget, thanks to Peter Brady. In that episode, during the play, the narrarator mentions Andre was hanged but Arnold lived out his life in England and they show his death sceene. (Sad I know that. But I got the Paul Revere ride FJ from Mrs. Howell, so what the heck).

The category didn't say dog had to be in the wording, so should Cry Wolf have been acceptable? A wolf is a canine.

I hated the soap opera category. I think they may have been overacting on purpose, but I don't watch the show so I don't know what they normally do.

The guy who played alan Quatermaine was a regular guest on Pyramid in the dick Clark years.

Congrats to Joon on the win. another strong game, no luck needed today. Great job on the DD, sad to say I missed it. I was looking for something deeper than just altitude for some reason, got lost in the wording.

I'm glad to see you like to teach. We need more of that in colleges. Retro good luck to our newest superchamp as he goes for win #7!!!

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

I tried Nathan Hale and actually thought it might be correct. In retrospect, should've known better as there are no Americans interred in Westminster Abbey (although some are memorialized.) I won't say I've never heard of Major Andre, but if I did it was very long ago. Didn't even have a glimmer of recognition when Alex gave the correct answer.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Samer wrote:Warning:

After today, some of you might actually be thinking, "An Oprah category would be better than this!" :shock:

I add my "Ptooey!" I was astonished they finished the round after those soliloquies. If TPTB are scanning these boards, please communicate to the writers. Never. Again. Ever.