Monday, September 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7131, 2015-09-21

CONTESTANTS
Gordon Reid, a project manager from Fort Worth, Texas
Sue Corbett, a writer from Newport News, Virginia
Natalie Lips, an office assistant from Lincoln, Nebraska (whose 2-day cash winnings total $36,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, folks. So happy you could join us today. Play along with these constants--Gordon and Sue, who are the newcomers, challenging Natalie Lips. Let's see how it all works out. Good luck. here we go. All right, let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YIPES, MOTHER GOOSE (4/5)
STAMPS (5/5)
SCHOOL DAYS (2/3)
A "NON" CATEGORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MONTANA (5/5)
THAT SOUNDS FAMILIAL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Gordon: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Sue: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Natalie: $1,800
Gordon: $1,200
Sue: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Gordon Reid is a project manager from Texas who also loves beer--

Gordon: I do.

Alex: --particularly craft beers, so much so that you did something.

Gordon: Yeah, I put together a club with some friends of mine. We call it the Megajoyous Craft Beer Adventure Squadron Hooray!

[Laughter]

Alex: And what do you guys do?

Gordon: About once a month, we go to local craft breweries and sample their wares and talk and--

Alex: What's special about the craft beers?

Gordon: It allows for Brewers to just try different things. Experiment with different beer styles, different flavors. And, um, just change it up from what you usually get from your typical macrobreweries.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Sue Corbett is a writer who auditioned to become a weathergirl at a television station. And when they do weather on--at television stations, they do that usually against a blue screen and they superimpose pictures of what's going on. You made a mistake.

Sue: I did.

Alex: Unknowingly, of course.

Sue: Mm-hmm.

Alex: What happened?

Sue: Well, it--back in the day, 'cause this is a while ago, um, it was called Chyron blue.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Sue: It's very similar to the Jeopardy!--Jeopardy! board. And I showed up in a dress that was exactly the same color as the Chyron blue.

[Laughter]

Sue: So--and it was in the Midwest, and I'm a native New Yorker. Um, and there are a lot of square states in the Midwest, so I needed to rely on the monitor to know what I was talking about in my mock audition. And all I could see was my head and neck, because the dress had completely faded into...

[Laughter]

Sue: And square states, without labels, all over my body.

Alex: But see, if I'm the manager of that station, I'd say, "Oh, she has psychic powers. Look at that. She made most of herself disappear."

[Laughter]

Alex: That's wonderful. All right.

Alex: Natalie Lips has something in common with... is it Paul Blart? Am I, uh, getting that right?

Natalie: Yeah.

Alex: You were a mall cop.

Natalie: I was for a couple months at our, um, local mall in Lincoln. It's... it's not the job for me.

Alex: Why?

Natalie: I'm just--I'm not, like, authoritative enough. 'Cause, like, they don't give you weapons, so you have to rely on your authoritative personality.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Natalie: I just--I don't have that. [Laughs] I'm not sure why they hired me.

[Laughter]

Alex: But you weren't there for long.

Natalie: No, no, luckily not.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Natalie found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Natalie had $5,200, Sue had $1,000, and Gordon was at $1,200. Natalie wagered $3,000.

A "NON" CATEGORY $1000: In 1964 Martin Luther King said this "is the answer to the crucial political & moral questions of our time"
(Alex: And we have a less than a minute to go now to finish the round.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YIPES, MOTHER GOOSE $1000: Whoa! An Alternate version has "four and twenty naughty boys baked in a pie" & a bag, not a pocket, full of this
(Sue: What are blackbirds?)
(Gordon: What is sixpence?)

SCHOOL DAYS $600: It's now or never to name this rocker seen here in his high school freshman year in New Jersey

A "NON" CATEGORY $600: An interior wall that supports only its own weight is said to be this 10-letter type
(Sue: What is freestanding?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Natalie: $8,200
Sue: $2,400
Gordon: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FOOD FOR THOUGHT (4/5)
THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG (3/5)
RED-LETTER DAY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NOTHING BUT SKIN & BONES (3/5)
FAMOUS LAST WORDS (5/5)
WHAT A CLICHÉ! (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Natalie: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gordon: 9 R, 3 W
Sue: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Natalie snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Natalie had $10,600, Sue had $2,400, and Gordon was at $1,000. Natalie wagered $2,000.

RED-LETTER DAY $1600: A British officer wrote that this man faced his September 22, 1776 execution in Manhattan with "great composure"
(Natalie: Who is Patrick Henry?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Natalie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Natalie had $17,400, Sue had $3,200, and Gordon was at $9,400. Natalie wagered $2,600.

WHAT A CLICHÉ! $1600: It's obvious, I've seen this message mentioned in Daniel 5, so I can't say I wasn't warned

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NOTHING BUT SKIN & BONES $400: Especially numerous in the palms & soles are these tubular structures that cool the skin & body

NOTHING BUT SKIN & BONES $1600: Also called alpha-tocopherol & found in nuts & vegetable oils, it helps protect the skin from sun damage & aging
(Gordon: What is melanin?)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT $1200: Wild pecan rice, which isn't wild & doesn't contain pecans, is a hybrid hailing from this Southern state
(Sue: What is Georgia?)
(Gordon: What is Texas?)

THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG $2000: 2001:
"Island In The Sun"

THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG $800: 1977:
"Brick House"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Natalie: $20,000
Gordon: $10,600
Sue: $3,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Well, we won't get to that last clue. And you have just prevented Natalie from turning this into a runaway game. So we're gonna have some excitement in Final Jeopardy! with this subject--WORLD OF BOOKS. That's a big world. You'll see when we come back.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD OF BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Natalie: Wager $1,201 to cover Gordon, but no more than $13,599 so as not to fall behind Sue's doubled score.
Gordon: You have the hope of surpassing Natalie if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,401 to force Natalie to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Sue.
Sue: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Mussolini considered this book written during the Renaissance "the statesman's supreme guide"

FINAL SCORES
Sue: $3,200 - $1,200 = $2,000 (What is The Little Prince?) (3rd place)
Gordon: $10,600 + $10,548 = $21,148 (What is The Prince) (2nd place)
Natalie: $20,000 + $1,201 = $21,201 (What is The Prince?) (36401-day champion: $21,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Natalie: $19,000, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gordon: $10,600, 16 R, 5 W
Sue: $3,200, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Natalie: 23/61 = .377
Gordon: 17/58 = .293
Sue: 10/58 = .172
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SCHOOL DAYS $200: A member of the high school band, he turned down a music scholarship to pursue another dream... Bam!

SCHOOL DAYS $400: Good times never seem so good for this singer, who received a fencing scholarship to New York University

STAMPS $200: These structures depicted on stamps include ones from Boston Harbor & New London Harbor
(Gordon: What are bridges?)

STAMPS $400: Stamps show the Army & the Navy versions of this highest award for valor in combat
(Sue: What is the Purple Heart?)

STAMPS $800: The Celebrity Chefs series would not be complete without her stamp, seen here

MONTANA $200: In 1949 the Montana legislature designated the Ponderosa type of this as its state tree
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

RED-LETTER DAY $1200: On April 20, 1653 he dissolved the Rump Parliament because it failed to adopt major reforms
(Gordon: Who is Charles II?)

NOTHING BUT SKIN & BONES $800: Neck rings create the appearance of an elongated neck by pressing on & deforming these, the clavicles

NOTHING BUT SKIN & BONES $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical diagram on the monitor.) Among the bones that make up the cranium are the frontal bone, the parietal bone & this one that forms most of the base of the skull

WHAT A CLICHÉ! $400: You must be from the poorer part of town, born here relative to the train line
(Natalie: What is across the tracks?)

FOOD FOR THOUGHT $800: The juicy seeds of this fruit are high in fiber & vitamins, & they're good for your heart

THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG $1200: 1966:
"Last Train To Clarksville"
(Alex: Yeah, that made you smile.)
(Natalie: Yep.)

FAMOUS LAST WORDS $400: The lawyer for this Yankee legend asserts he went out with, "I'll finally get to see Marilyn"
(Alex: Correct with a minute to go.)

WHAT A CLICHÉ! $1200: My snacks are missing from my dressing room again; time to "round up" this group, a line from "Casablanca"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
nonviolence
rye
Jon Bon Jovi
non-bearing
Nathan Hale
the writing on the wall
sweat glands
vitamin E
Louisiana
Weezer
The Commodores
The Prince (by Machiavelli)
Emeril Lagasse
Neil Diamond
lighthouses
the Medal of Honor
Julia Child
the pine
Oliver Cromwell
the collarbones
the occipital bone
the wrong side of the tracks
a pomegranate
The Monkees
Joe DiMaggio
the usual suspects
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

This is my show... I'm tweeting throughout the day at @caknuck, the livetweet portion of the episode will begin roughly 7-ish p.m. CDT.
@caknuck
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Retro luck!
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

World of Books

Mussolini considered this book written during the Renaissance "the statesman's supreme guide".
Spoiler
What is The Prince? Sue had "What is The Little Prince?"
Sue Corbett: $3,200-$1,200=$2,000

Gordon Reid: $10,600+$10,548=$21,148

Natalie Lips: $20,000+$1,201=$21,201; now a 3-day champion with $57,601
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Rye, sweat glands (how was that a stand-and-stare?!).

WNEM started Jeopardy! at 6:58, but got as far as "And now…" before switching back to the end of the CBS news and restarting. Satellite glitch?

Clammed on "Yankee Doodle" since I didn't think that was Mother Goose. Also couldn't decode $800 since I was somehow trying to connect "dame" to "his" and thus couldn't figure out what they were even asking for.

Also clammed on "nonbearing", since I didn't think it was a word, to end up 4/5 there. However, I barely pulled out "kissing cousins" ex-recto to run Familial.

Red Letter was entirely over my head, but I got all but Vitamin E in Skin & Bones.

No beep-beep-beep on the Pecan = Louisiana TS?

I thought "Don't Speak"/No Doubt was a tad steep for $400. I was 2/5 in the category; my getting The Band Perry should be obvious, and the other (spoiler: The Monkees) not so much.

Disney was a no-excuse miss for me. All I could think of was either Hanna or Barbera, even though I knew both were wrong, but my mind got stuck in a loop and refused to let any other names in.

I had an inkling that FJ! would at least be something that I heard of, but it just wasn't coming to me.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Decent enough game...I don't know why, but that combo of "apple doesnt fall far from the tree" for 2k (??), "writing on the wall" as a DD (!????) and that FJ clue left a bad taste. Do better, J! writers.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Natalie on another win. You did well, Gordon (caknuck), but Natalie was just a bit better. I had 46 correct responses including six triple stumpers: rye, nonbearing, sweat glands, Vitamin E, Louisiana, and Commodores. I also got FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah, another odd valuation was "Rudolph" at $1,000. Billings probably could've been a bit higher up the board, too.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

On the $1,600 (I think) clue in the "red letter day" category (the one in which the British officer praised someone who was being executed), what led to Nathan Hale over John Andre? It seems awfully picky to expect people to know that one was executed in 1776 and the other in 1782. Especially with the "British officer" TOM, that clue seemed neg-baity to me. And far more difficult than the ridiculous "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" for 2K.

Natalie was very lucky that she got a cupcake FJ after letting Gordon back into the game with her final DD wager.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Goose (1), Stamps (4), Day (0), "Non" (3), Montana (4), Family (3)
Food (2), Song (3), Red (4), Skin (2), Famous (5), Cliche (1)

Lach Trash: "Nathan Hale"- DD, "Commodores"

Instaget FJ.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ala slams rule, I was expecting Gordon to win. Total rollercoaster game, phases gone through - maybe he makes a move in DJ, maybe a DD, maybe she will miss the DD, oh wow on the final DJ clue, sure she won't get FJ, wait what?
Good showing Gordon.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

hbomb1947 wrote:On the $1,600 (I think) clue in the "red letter day" category (the one in which the British officer praised someone who was being executed), what led to Nathan Hale over John Andre? It seems awfully picky to expect people to know that one was executed in 1776 and the other in 1782. Especially with the "British officer" TOM, that clue seemed neg-baity to me. And far more difficult than the ridiculous "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" for 2K.

Natalie was very lucky that she got a cupcake FJ after letting Gordon back into the game with her final DD wager.
The West Point thing didn't even happen until 3 years after Hale was killed, and his execution was a big cause-galvanizer. Seemed fine to me.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I kinda want fanart of the Little Prince explaining Machiavelli now.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

caknuck wrote:This is my show... I'm tweeting throughout the day at @caknuck, the livetweet portion of the episode will begin roughly 7-ish p.m. CDT.
You had to be pretty pumped when you got new life on that final clue (and Natalie either underbetting or figuring that there wouldnt be any more clues after the DD).

Too bad it was such a softball FJ question.

Also nice try on DD hunting, a little unlucky you didnt find either one.
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

This is the first time in a decent while I've gotten 100% Lach Trash...that feels cool.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Caknuck did a great job of getting back into the game in Double Jeopardy and just slightly preventing it from being a runaway. Too bad Slam's Rule is just a rule and not a law (or even "just a theory.")
I had 33 right, including Final, and $24,600. I picked up "sweat glands" and the rock star from Sayreville in the trash. Tough to stay clam in this episode, but it had to be done. I've never read The Prince but it was still an instaget; I've heard it was one of Tupac's favorite books.
Last edited by sarisson on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoping for a third lap
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

That's exactly why I thought she should have bet slightly higher a few days ago, when the DD was the 2nd to last question. That time, the round ended so she was a lock; this time Gordon got his shot in.

I agree that there was some odd clue evaluations in this game; Billings & Rudolph didn't belong on the bottom on the board. I had NO clue for FJ.

Gotta tell you, Gordon ... you look pretty angry at the end when they showed Natalie getting the right answer. :p
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I wonder if Natalie learned anything about penultimate DD wagering when Gordon staved off the runaway on the last clue. It wasn't too hard to figure out what she needed to do with $2000 in hidden clues left.

And she might need a visit from the fashion police with that top combination she had on. It looked like something was showing that wasn't supposed to be during the game, but then it just looked like sloppy dressing during the end credits. Blechhh.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Category 13 wrote:And she might need a visit from the fashion police with that top combination she had on. It like something was showing that wasn't supposed to be during the game, but then it just looked like sloppy dressing during the end credits. Blechhh.
I suspected today's outfit was a mish mash combination of the pieces from before; I know if I was down to my "3rd best outfit" I packed I'd look pretty shlumpy too. I do think the infamous "pink hearts sweater" looked a bit snug (I guess I'm just being male), but I thought it was fine today.

So if she wins tomorrow, we get to see if she goes up on the new ToC watch page? I feel like I'm in Ready Player One :P