TD 140: My Old Kentucky TD

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 140: My Old Kentucky TD

Post by teapot37 »

This is my third time hosting a Think Different contest. My previous two were, coincidentally, #14 and #114. I don't know what's up with the 1s and 4s.

The object of this contest is to try to come up with the least popular answer for each of the following questions. The lowest total score wins. You will earn a number of points for each question equal to the number of people who gave that answer as long as your answer is correct. If your answer is incorrect, you will earn a number of points equal to the "sheep" score (the highest score for that question) plus 5.

You may elect not to answer ("drop") one of the first ten questions. Please indicate this in your answer set with "DROP" or similar.

Do not use any outside references to come up with your answers. Just your own brain, please!

In a departure from my past contests, I will use the additive score method (rather than multiplication as I have in the past) to determine your final score.

There are ten questions and a tiebreaker question. The closer to the actual answer on the tiebreaker will come out ahead in the case of a tie.

Please submit your answers to me in a private message by 11:59:59 PM on Sunday, October 16, 2011. DO NOT POST THEM IN THIS THREAD.

As an aside, R.I.P. Steve Jobs. Apple's iconic "Think Different" ad campaign gave this series its name.

Questions in the next post.

Current entrants:
Peggles
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
Woppy T
gamawire

DadofTwins
PowerofHoodoo (CHECK YOUR PMs)
Bamaman
Uncle Jeff
billiej

immaf
mam418
Vanya
debramc
econgator

barandall800
jeff6286
dhkendall
opusthepenguin
Paucle

cheezguyty
Woof
billy pilgrim
bomtr
Randy G

tagNV
Last edited by teapot37 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 am, edited 10 times in total.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
teapot37

Re: TD 140: My Old Kentucky TD

Post by teapot37 »

1.  Perhaps Louisville's most famous son is boxer Muhammad Ali.  In 1975, Ali fought a man named Chuck Wepner for the heavyweight title. This title fight was Sylvester Stallone's inspiration for writing the film "Rocky", which went on to win the Academy Award for Best
Picture in 1976. Since then, the Academy has recognized other films about the "sweet science".  Name an actor or actress who earned an Academy Award nomination (lead or supporting) for their performance in a film primarily about boxing released after 1976.

2.  Kentucky's newest county is McCreary County, which was formed in 1912 and which brought the count of Kentucky counties to 120.  Twelve states in the US have more than ninety counties.  Name one of the other eleven. (Louisiana's parishes and Alaska's boroughs are deemed equivalent to counties for the purposes of this question.)

3.  The mascot of Western Kentucky University is a large furry blob of a creature named "Big Red".  Big Red is also the name of a brand of chewing gum manufactured by Wrigley.  Wrigley's U.S. brands include Skittles, Starburst, Life Savers, Altoids, and eleven brands of chewing gum, including Big Red. Name one of Wrigley's other ten U.S. brands of chewing gum. (Different flavors of a brand, such as Sour Skittles, Original Skittles, or Tropical Skittles, are all part of the same brand.)

4.  Louisville is home to the headquarters of Humana, one of the largest health insurance companies in the US.  It is ranked at #79 in
the 2011 Fortune 500 listings. In the category "Health Care: Insurance and Managed Care", ten other companies made the list alongside Humana.  Name one of those ten companies.

5.  Since the advent of the NCAA Men's Division I basketball tournament in 1939, the University of Kentucky has had seven men serve
as head coach of the men's basketball program.  The program has, coincidentally, won seven NCAA titles as well in that time.  Name one of the head coaches, or a year in which UK won the NCAA men's basketball title.

6.  According to PMQ Magazine's "Pizza Power Report 2010", two of the top three U.S. pizza chains in both sales and number of stores are headquartered in Louisville.  Name one of the 14 pizza chains that appear in the top 13 of either PMQ's sales rankings or number of stores ranking. (The rankings are based on 2009 numbers.)

7.  Fort Knox is the home to the United States' gold depository. Gold is one of the oldest known elements; artifacts made of it have been found dating from 6000 years ago. 10 elements, including gold, are known to have been discovered by 1000 BCE. Name one of the other nine elements "known to the ancients". (Arsenic, antimony, and bismuth are sometimes put in this class; they are all considered incorrect for the purposes of this contest.)

8.  The eyes of the world turn to Kentucky on the first Saturday in May for the annual running of the Kentucky Derby, the longest
continuously-run annual sporting event held in the United States (2011 was the 137th running). Stakes races in the US are graded by the Throughbred Owners and Breeders Association into three levels; the highest level is Grade I.  In 2010, 112 Grade I stakes races
were held in the US at 14 different racetracks.  Name one of those tracks.

9.  Louisvillian Bob Edwards was the host of the NPR morning show "Morning Edition" from its inception in November 1979 through April 2004, when he was replaced by Steve Inskeep and Renee Montaigne.  Many hosts are nearly as well known as the programs they host. Name the public radio program currently hosted by one of these people or group of people.

Kurt Andersen
Neal Conan
Ira Glass
Terry Gross
Lynne Rossetto Kasper
Garrison Keillor
Ray and Tom Magliozzi
Diane Rehm
Kai Ryssdal
Peter Sagal

10. Here it is - the obligatory picture question.  Identify one of these people born in Kentucky.

Tiebreaker: The Kentucky Colonels were the Bluegrass State's team in the old American Basketball Association, and only one of two teams (along with the Indiana Pacers) who played all nine seasons that the ABA was in operation. How many games (regular season and postseason) did the Colonels win during those nine seasons?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No drops, right?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Forgot about that. Yes, one drop allowed.

I would have copy-and-pasted the rules and instructions from one of my old ones, but that's not an option, sadly.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Having been a complete horse-racing geek for 40 years now, I consider myself an "honorary Kentuckian" in my own mind despite the fact I've been there for exactly one day 38 years ago...

I played my own little game after sending my entry in. 14 Grade 1 host tracks, how many can I list? Racked my mind for a few minutes, wrote my guesses down.

12 for 14. Left out one obvious one (to horse-racing geeks, anyway), left out a much harder one for a pretty-good guess. Not too bad...

Another observation, obvious to those who know me personally... I suck at recognizing faces from pics! Only knew one for sure, a couple looked familar, the rest I was totally clueless. When the answers are revealed, it'll be obvious where my head is at (celebrity-wise) when it's not buried in a Racing Form... :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Does "after 1976" mean movies released in 1976 are not eligible?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote:Does "after 1976" mean movies released in 1976 are not eligible?
That's exactly what that means.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Does "after 1976" mean movies released in 1976 are not eligible?
That's exactly what that means.
That's what I thought but felt it was best to clarify. Thanks.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Friday night *BUMP*
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Rackme32 wrote:Having been a complete horse-racing geek for 40 years now, I consider myself an "honorary Kentuckian" in my own mind despite the fact I've been there for exactly one day 38 years ago...

I played my own little game after sending my entry in. 14 Grade 1 host tracks, how many can I list? Racked my mind for a few minutes, wrote my guesses down.

12 for 14. Left out one obvious one (to horse-racing geeks, anyway), left out a much harder one for a pretty-good guess. Not too bad...

Another observation, obvious to those who know me personally... I suck at recognizing faces from pics! Only knew one for sure, a couple looked familar, the rest I was totally clueless. When the answers are revealed, it'll be obvious where my head is at (celebrity-wise) when it's not buried in a Racing Form... :)
I think we might be twins, Rackme32. I came up with 13 (the other one being probably the same you missed.) Neat to know I'm not the only fan here!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Sunday morning *bump*
KearneyZzyzwicz
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by KearneyZzyzwicz »

Extremely stupid question but how do I PM on this board?

I tried clicking on teapot's username but it isn't clickable.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

KearneyZzyzwicz wrote:Extremely stupid question but how do I PM on this board?

Taken care of.
billiej

Post by billiej »

KearneyZzyzwicz wrote:Extremely stupid question but how do I PM on this board?

You'll need to post a few more times to get PM privileges. Then the button will appear under the name.

ETA: Too slow!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

You've got two hours! (Although I'll realistically accept entries before about 8:00 AM tomorrow.)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Time's up! I gotta get this thing scored, and I'll start the results posts later.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

1. Perhaps Louisville's most famous son is boxer Muhammad Ali. In 1975, Ali fought a man named Chuck Wepner for the heavyweight title. This title fight was Sylvester Stallone's inspiration for writing the film "Rocky", which went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1976. Since then, the Academy has recognized other films about the "sweet science". Name an actor or actress who earned an Academy Award nomination (lead or supporting) for their performance in a film primarily about boxing released after 1976.

You guys got most of them.

Hilary Swank - 5 (won Best Actress for Million Dollar Baby)

opusthepenguin
dhkendall
econgator
billiej
DadofTwins

Robert De Niro - 3 (won Best Actor for Raging Bull)

tagNV
debramc
Vanya

Will Smith - 3 (nominated for Best Actor for Ali)

RandyG
barandall800
gamawire

Morgan Freeman - 3 (won Best Supporting Actor for Million Dollar Baby)

Woof
PowerofHoodoo
MarkBarrett

Paul Giamatti - 2 (nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Cinderella Man)

bomtr
mam418

Jon Voight - 1 (nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Ali)

billy pilgrim

Amy Adams - 1 (nominated for Best Supporting Actress for The Fighter)

cheezguyty

Joe Pesci - 1 (nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Raging Bull)

Paucle

Denzel Washington - 1 (nominated for Best Actor for The Hurricane)

jeff6286

Cathy Moriarty - 1 (nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Raging Bull)

Woppy T

Christian Bale - 1 (won Best Supporting Actor for The Fighter)

Peggles

INCORRECT:

Mark Wahlberg (only managed a Golden Globe nomination for The Fighter)

immaf

Rick Schroeder (only managed a Golden Globe nomination for The Champ)

Bamaman

DROP

Uncle Jeff
Rackme32

Other correct answers:

Melissa Leo (won Best Supporting Actress for The Fighter)
Clint Eastwood (nominated for Best Actor for Million Dollar Baby)
Last edited by teapot37 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Sigh. Starting with a neg. I was hoping that I'd have better luck with TDs on the new board. But no...
Teems with quiet fun.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

*sigh* I dithered between Eastwood and Freeman but figured that Eastwood would be better remembered for his role as director/actor. As usual, faulty logic...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

teapot37 wrote:1. Perhaps Louisville's most famous son is boxer Muhammad Ali. In 1975, Ali fought a man named Chuck Wepner for the heavyweight title. This title fight was Sylvester Stallone's inspiration for writing the film "Rocky", which went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1976. Since then, the Academy has recognized other films about the "sweet science". Name an actor or actress who earned an Academy Award nomination (lead or supporting) for their performance in a film primarily about boxing released after 1976.

You guys got most of them.

Hilary Swank - 5 (won Best Actress for Million Dollar Baby)

opusthepenguin
dhkendall
econgator
billiej
DadofTwins
So much for my strategy of picking the sheep answer. What's the matter with you sheep? Why weren't you all clever enough to avoid this, leaving me to be clever for picking it?