Tuesday, September 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

38R on oddly difficult boards with some quirky cats; near instaget FJ had to cycle thru elections to get to Obama/McCain.
Win from the 4th with FJ and LT: telemetry, Belle Conto >Ann Patchett, amicable, electrocution, DD: N.C., Bambi >Felix Salter
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Lampy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lampy »

This felt like they were burning off a board from the Decades tournament half the time, but then there was that Flags cat. Weird day.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote: The FJ category is one of my wheelhouses and got it pretty quickly. But I can easily see someone starting on the wrong end and not getting to 2008 in time.
Count me as another victim of the wrong starting block. I came to it a couple seconds after the think music ended.

Think of how much time could be eaten up even if someone were to merely recite the disqualifier list starting from 1956:
Eisenhower, Nixon, Johnson, Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Clinton, Gore, Bush.....

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Seemed like probably the weakest game overall of the new season (I know, only game #7). Mai generally seemed out of her element, although she got what I considered a very nice get on "Being and Nothingness." Dylan seemed very nervous and missed how many softballs? I never could figure how he ended up in the lead. Really, North Carolina for "these two letters?" RTFC, man! I kinda liked Natalie and hoped she would continue, but whatever her strengths may have been, FJ wagering in a very simple situation seemed too much for her to master. Oh well, she had a nice run.

I also hate this kind of FJ clue where you have to mentally examine 15 presidential elections in the span of the Think Music. I made the mistake of starting at the earliest, mentally made it into about the 80s, and suddenly recalled Obama in 2008 as if by divine inspiration. So I did get this one, but still hated the clue.

Congrats to Dylan, and enjoy your stay as champion. I don't foresee it lasting beyond tonight.

brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
I got WWD, I think it is sold in grocery check out stands a lot.

I would love for you to follow up on that. It is mostly an industry trade publication in a lot of ways. I think it's sales are overwhelmingly by subscription, and the daily is only online now. There is a weekly glossy now. Maybe that is circulating differently.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Category 13 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: The FJ category is one of my wheelhouses and got it pretty quickly. But I can easily see someone starting on the wrong end and not getting to 2008 in time.
Count me as another victim of the wrong starting block. I came to it a couple seconds after the think music ended.

Think of how much time could be eaten up even if someone were to merely recite the disqualifier list starting from 1956:
Eisenhower, Nixon, Johnson, Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Clinton, Gore, Bush.....
This is exactly what I did, so it took me FOREVER (paused the TV while I finished it) to get to 2008.

I'm disappointed that so many boards are going uncleared, and was very sad not to see those three final fashion questions.

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Category 13 wrote:Sketchy wagering in all four games and concluding with a really bad FJ wager pretty much confirms Natalie had never been to this site prior to taping.

The most Lach Trash so far for me in the new season. Electrocution, Roger Clemens, Hakeem Olajuwon, Canadians and a couple I can't recall at the moment.

Or she has been to this site and still (gasp!) wagered according to her own wishes. It's possible she figured she might as well wager everything since she was within reach of Mai and had to wager something. It's true that her wager wasn't optimal, but it wasn't as brainless as some seem to think.

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Don't know if others have this experience, but with this FJ I got a triple-stumper shortly after failing on one all the contestants got (the game shown last Friday, 9/18). This happens a lot, though sometimes in the reverse order. When I get one every contestant misses, I can almost always count on missing an FJ triple-get very soon.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

willwoodlen wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Sketchy wagering in all four games and concluding with a really bad FJ wager pretty much confirms Natalie had never been to this site prior to taping.

The most Lach Trash so far for me in the new season. Electrocution, Roger Clemens, Hakeem Olajuwon, Canadians and a couple I can't recall at the moment.

Or she has been to this site and still (gasp!) wagered according to her own wishes. It's possible she figured she might as well wager everything since she was within reach of Mai and had to wager something. It's true that her wager wasn't optimal, but it wasn't as brainless as some seem to think.
Sorry, but it's indefensible. If Natalie wagers anywhere between $2,701-3,600, she wins in WRR, WRW and WWW. By going all in, she eliminates the third path to victory. Which, of course, is the one she needed. Unless you think a potential extra $5,400 is worth more than an additional way to win--and it's not, especially for a three-time champ--this was an objectively bad wager.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Oy! This was a painful episode to watch. I think that I would have won the game on Lach trash alone. And let's not even talk about FJ. I had thought that Natalie was a stronger champ than she looked in this game, but I suppose everyone's entitled to an off game.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Tigershark wrote:There was a lot of yelling at my TV this episode. First when the city I was born was a TS (that would be Monterey). Second when the question that made me mad at my trivia team a couple of weeks ago was asked. (That would be the Roger Clemens question. A couple weeks ago, we were asked "What pitcher has won 7 Cy Young awards?" I was pretty sure the answer was Clemens, but was overruled by the three guys on my team.)
Who did they think that it was?

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:

Sorry, but it's indefensible. If Natalie wagers anywhere between $2,701-3,600, she wins in WRR, WRW and WWW. By going all in, she eliminates the third path to victory. Which, of course, is the one she needed. Unless you think a potential extra $5,400 is worth more than an additional way to win--and it's not, especially for a three-time champ--this was an objectively bad wager.

Sayin' so don't make it so. I offered my comment knowing everything you say. I also offered it knowing I would, in her place, have wagered according to your math. I'm simply saying she might have thought about it differently, where you talk as if you know for a fact that she didn't think at all.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

willwoodlen wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:

Sayin' so don't make it so. I offered my comment knowing everything you say. I also offered it knowing I would, in her place, have wagered according to your math. I'm simply saying she might have thought about it differently, where you talk as if you know for a fact that she didn't think at all.
There are only three possibilities:
1. She didn't think.
2. She did think, and made a massive strategic blunder.
3. She did think, and actually valued a potential $5,400 windfall over a victory on a TS.

All of those are indefensible. #3 is probably the worst, given her past performance, how close she was to TOC eligibility, etc.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

I don't like Natalie's wager, but it is a best response to a small Colbyesque $1,699 wager by the leader. The all-in wager is not my choice given how rare it is for leaders not to cover.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

The only defense I can possibly offer for Natalie's FJ wager, and it's very miniscule, is that she may have loved the category so much as to think it would be her ace in the hole.

Presidential elections is very high on the list of my favorites, and I would have been tempted to wager Marsian if the situation called for it. But that pre FJ score scenario was just too easy to see the importance of going Venusian.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:Presidential elections is very high on the list of my favorites, and I would have been tempted to wager Marsian if the situation called for it.
Keith or Veronica?

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Ay yi yi, rough game for everyone.
dhkendall wrote:Daily Double in a flag category? Yes please! (I know if that was me up there I'd Clavin that sumbitch!) Although TPTB didn't have to rub it in for me, first having at least two players so far that auditioned the same week I did, and now having a flag category with a DD in it when they're on. I know I still have 15 months in the pool, but it's going to be a *long* 15 months if they keep teasing me like this ...
I was visiting my folks and watched the taped game with them - I instinctively said out loud when the categories appeared, "Oh wow, David Kendall's gonna LOVE this one." Had to do a bit of explaining. Knew I'd be right, though. :-)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Ay yi yi, rough game for everyone.
dhkendall wrote:Daily Double in a flag category? Yes please! (I know if that was me up there I'd Clavin that sumbitch!) Although TPTB didn't have to rub it in for me, first having at least two players so far that auditioned the same week I did, and now having a flag category with a DD in it when they're on. I know I still have 15 months in the pool, but it's going to be a *long* 15 months if they keep teasing me like this ...
I was visiting my folks and watched the taped game with them - I instinctively said out loud when the categories appeared, "Oh wow, David Kendall's gonna LOVE this one." Had to do a bit of explaining. Knew I'd be right, though. :-)
I'm ... famous? Yay?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Presidential elections is very high on the list of my favorites, and I would have been tempted to wager Marsian if the situation called for it.
Keith or Veronica?
Bruno. Or maybe Forrest.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Keith or Veronica?
Bruno. Or maybe Forrest.
Hopefully not Bruno. That kind of wager means pulling the pin on a grenade if you miss.