Site Visibility Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What Rank does JBoard Show Up in a Google Search for Jeopardy Message Board (no quotes)?

First
12%
Second
No votes
Third
2%
Fourth
No votes
Fifth
3%
Sixth
3%
Seventh
31%
Eighth
46%
Ninth
3%
Tenth
2%
Later
No votes

Total votes: 59

Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Re: Site Visibility Poll

Post by Uncle Jeff »

If I were a former boardie searching for where everyone went, then I would search for some of the screen names I remember (or can dig out of saved messages on my computer).

Try Googling any two old screen names. I tried dhkendal with seaborgium and got only three hits of which a post in this new board was #1. Paucle econgator yields 2800 hits with this board eclipsing the old Sony board to snag the top spot.

Recent Jeopardy contestants won't have those hooks, so they'll have some difficulty finding us, but all old boardies should find us easily.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

Recent contestants might do better with other searches. This new site claims the top spot out of 590,000 using jeopardy contestant "discussion board". That's very encouraging.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

On a whim, I checked it this morning, and ... We're #1! We're #1! Is that the case for other people as well? I tried changing the poll to let people vote again, but apparently can't do so. I guess registering with Google per Marissa's tip seems to have worked.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Confirmed!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

HugoZ wrote:Confirmed!
Ditto, although I can't find us anywhere in the first 20 pages on a Yahoo search.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:Ditto, although I can't find us anywhere in the first 20 pages on a Yahoo search.
In this day and age, when "Google" is a synonym for "search engine", I don't think we have to worry much about our Yahoo! ranking (as a web designer myself, I usually go with the "register with Google" trick as well (I guess I just assumed alietr did that already), and odn't bother with Yahoo! Just like I always make sure that webpages I design show up OK with IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari (at the very, very least, IE), but don't worry about others like Opera and Netscape, simply because of the numbers (although I have a copy of all of these simply for testing purposes)
Uncle Jeff wrote:Recent Jeopardy contestants won't have those hooks, so they'll have some difficulty finding us, but all old boardies should find us easily.
I can't think of too many stalwarts from the old board that we're missing (the only ones that come to mind are TPH and TRD, and I know that many here won't miss either (or both). I think "recent Jeopardy! contestants" and other newbies should be our target audience, now that the core of the old boardies are here (I'm always eager to see recent contestants on here, their insight into games is my favourite part of the board)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote: I can't think of too many stalwarts from the old board that we're missing (the only ones that come to mind are TPH and TRD, and I know that many here won't miss either (or both). I think "recent Jeopardy! contestants" and other newbies should be our target audience, now that the core of the old boardies are here (I'm always eager to see recent contestants on here, their insight into games is my favourite part of the board)
I miss 'em. We need the comic relief.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I can't think of too many stalwarts from the old board that we're missing (the only ones that come to mind are TPH and TRD, and I know that many here won't miss either (or both). I think "recent Jeopardy! contestants" and other newbies should be our target audience, now that the core of the old boardies are here (I'm always eager to see recent contestants on here, their insight into games is my favourite part of the board)
I miss 'em. We need the comic relief.
Who the heck is Paul Gauguin anyway?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

#1 now for me too!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

dhkendall wrote:In this day and age, when "Google" is a synonym for "search engine", I don't think we have to worry much about our Yahoo! ranking (as a web designer myself, I usually go with the "register with Google" trick as well (I guess I just assumed alietr did that already), and odn't bother with Yahoo!.
The algorithmic search results on Yahoo! aren't really a Yahoo! product any longer anyway -- they're now provided by Bing. (Fun fact: up until 2004, the Yahoo! algorithmic search results were provided by Google.)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bing sucks.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:Bing sucks.
Mazel tov!
bing bing BINGGgg!