Thursday, September 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, September 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Cmon on FJ. Like to see % get on this one. No clue at all.
I'm even more curious about what guesses people made. We're always admonishing TPH that writing SOMETHING down is better than writing nothing. So fess up, people. What did you say? Tell me even if you said nothing. If you got it right, tell me your level of confidence before the reveal. I'm betting on 0% for "got it right and was sure of it." And if you got it wrong but thought you were right, tell me that. Otherwise I'll assume your guess was just to avoid leaving a blank. I'll aggregate the results in this post. Here's what we have so far.

BigDaddyMatty - bon appétit
dhkendall - maitre d'
dinghammer - cordon bleu ("has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost, so it can't be that")
econgator - sacre bleu
grindcore - FU FJ (ok, maybe that wasn't intended as a guess)
immaf - cordon bleu ("WAG")
John Boy - haute cuisine
Mark Barrett - nom de plume
opusthepenguin - bon appétit
TenPoundHammer - NO GUESS
This Is Kirk! - bon appétit

As you can see, there's no need to be afraid to chime in because your guess was lame.
I'll chime in as the first to say "gourmet".
OCSam
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

OrangeSAM wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:Cmon on FJ. Like to see % get on this one. No clue at all.
I'm even more curious about what guesses people made. We're always admonishing TPH that writing SOMETHING down is better than writing nothing. So fess up, people. What did you say? Tell me even if you said nothing. If you got it right, tell me your level of confidence before the reveal. I'm betting on 0% for "got it right and was sure of it." And if you got it wrong but thought you were right, tell me that. Otherwise I'll assume your guess was just to avoid leaving a blank. I'll aggregate the results in this post. Here's what we have so far.

dhkendall - maitre d'
dinghammer - cordon bleu ("has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost, so it can't be that")
econgator - sacre bleu
John Boy - haute cuisine

As you can see, there's no need to be afraid to chime in because your guess was lame.
I'll chime in as the first to say "gourmet".
And I, hors d'oeuvres.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Lampy wrote:Roughly, "cordon bleu? like I can't think of anything else to say here and that could be part of an order right?" 45% confidence pre-reveal.
I could've written every word of this. I'm happy to have gotten FJ right, but I'm at least as happy to be in Lampy's company.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Add me to the bon appetit club. I had nothin'.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

BobF wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

dhkendall - maitre d'
econgator - sacre bleu
John Boy - haute cuisine

I'd have done the same thing as Amanda and used my high school French to attempt a translation of Holy Ghost.
I tried that but was getting nowhere so I shifted to the "superb dinners" part and took a wild guess with "cordon bleu."
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Glad to see I wasn't alone in WAGing "bon appetit."
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

opusthepenguin wrote:

dhkendall - maitre d'
econgator - sacre bleu
John Boy - haute cuisine

I said esprit de corps. Couldn't connect it with food but "ghost" in the clue led to me spirt-->esprit.

ETA: I always just assumed "cordon bleu" was just a literal translation of "blue ribbon" and nothing more.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Bon appetit for me.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

cordon bleu, with middling confidence. Couldn't see how the superb dinner thing would fit anything else.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I don't think I would have gotten to the right answer as a contestant, but my girlfriend said "Sacre Bleu" which allowed the right synapses in my brain to fire out "Cordon Bleu"
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Yeah for the record I could only think of two things, one being "bon appétit" which I knew was a dead end, and the Knights of Columbus, who used to make monthly greasy breakfasts after church when I was a kid, which was also a dead end. I ended up just glaring at Alex.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

This ex-Beatle: "You know it don't come easy, you don't have to shout or leap about, you can even play them easy"
I think Kyle should have received credit for a correct answer with George Harrison. There is a version that circulates with Harrison singing lead vocals. And Ringo credited George Harrison as a co-writer.

It would not have made a difference in the final result since Kyle was well behind Dylan and Amanda going into FJ. But I do think the J writers and producers missed on this one.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

my guess on final jeopardy was "haute cuisine."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

grindcore wrote:Yeah for the record I could only think of two things, one being "bon appétit" which I knew was a dead end, and the Knights of Columbus, who used to make monthly greasy breakfasts after church when I was a kid, which was also a dead end. I ended up just glaring at Alex.
Given your last sentence, I think if you were on stage, you probably would have written "FU FJ" on your podium.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm a little surprised how many boardies actually got that FJ right. On the other hand, I suppose there are only so many well-known French expressions that relate to food in some way.
billiej

Post by billiej »

opusthepenguin wrote:

dhkendall - maitre d'
econgator - sacre bleu
John Boy - haute cuisine

maître d', 0.000000000000000000000000001% confidence.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: dinghammer - cordon bleu ("has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost, so it can't be that")
I'd like to think that if I were on the show and didn't wind up in the red before FJ!, I'd have put it down just to have something, but at home I just spent the remaining 29 seconds trying to think of anything it could possibly be and shrugging cartoonishly.

Should I check the Beatles question in the weekly poll if I got it on the rebound? ;)
scaphio
Contributor

Post by scaphio »

brick wrote:It looks like my local feed is totally preempted by the Pope's Mass at St. Pat's. If anyone would be willing to pm me a likely way to view tonight's game is be grateful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GI5tHynQRY
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: dinghammer - cordon bleu ("has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost, so it can't be that")
I'd like to think that if I were on the show and didn't wind up in the red before FJ!, I'd have put it down just to have something, but at home I just spent the remaining 29 seconds trying to think of anything it could possibly be and shrugging cartoonishly.

Should I check the Beatles question in the weekly poll if I got it on the rebound? ;)
If I understand you, you did think of "cordon bleu" and couldn't think of anything else. If so, I say you get the benefit of the doubt.

"I got the Beatles clue from the fourth podium" is an AWESOME poll question!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Of the posters who solved FJ, none seemed to have figured out the TOM, and they answered with a limited degree of confidence.