Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOIL

Post by econgator »

jpahk wrote:katie, you're up next. you ready? :)
Now that I know she's playing you, I'm wondering if her name is a spoiler in disguise? Hmmm.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

econgator wrote:Now that I know she's playing you, I'm wondering if her name is a spoiler in disguise? Hmmm.
It is not, since I registered this username before I taped. :P A simple play on the insect.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/5 for me in Purse with (StevenH and Gnash know the other) and Marc Jacobs. The $200 and $400 had me expecting a skunk as they were NHOT.

Watching the game helped me solve the FJ clue. I read the wording and I did not have a guess. However, I saw how quickly the players were writing and that told me it must be easy. From there I thought it could be something even the teens could solve. For whatever reason I had a hunch to try Disney. Jungle Book was my first instinct and I had no animal to fit. Finally about 10 seconds in it all clicked quickly and I had everything pieced together to lock it in.

I didn't guess it, but I tried to quickly think of some kind of plant monster who could make tendril acceptable for tentacle. Any chance that could have worked?

THE BIG "TEN" $1600: An invertebrate's flexible appendage that serves as an organ of touch
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Best part of the game for me: seeing Joon's Cheshire Cat grin as the camera panned their faces during the final. I fully expected some green screen magic to make you disappear.

I've been watching east coast feeds recently, but watched the time shifted Seattle version today, and saw a big credit roll at the end. Does that happen all the time on other peoples' stations? First time I've seen it in a long time.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

boson wrote:I've been watching east coast feeds recently, but watched the time shifted Seattle version today, and saw a big credit roll at the end. Does that happen all the time on other peoples' stations? First time I've seen it in a long time.
The long credits seem to be shown whenever they have enough spare time to do so (in fact, I was expecting to see them tonight due to how fast the boards were being cleared). I believe this was the first time they have been shown this season; the last time I saw them was July 21 and 22 (the former of which also included a nice shot of Johnny at the end). The credits from the June 13 are also worth checking out because they ran so long that we were treated to a nice section of the theme music that is rarely heard.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

SkoolRN wrote:And BTW, Kate Spade is David Spade's sister-in-law.
Yeah, but only through marriage.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Literature
"'How are you getting on?' said" this animal character, "as soon as there was mouth enough for it to speak with."
Spoiler
Who is the Cheshire Cat?
Joon Pahk: $26,400+$2,700=$29,100...now a 7-day champion with $199,000
Ashley Shannon: $11,800+$4,601=$16,401
Michael Stewart: $8,200+$7,200=$15,400

That there clue has a lot of punctuation in it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:And BTW, Kate Spade is David Spade's sister-in-law.
Yeah, but only through marriage.
Is there a joke I'm missing here, or is there another way to be someone's sister-in-law?

I was semi-dreading the day Guess My Word got mentioned on TV. Once I heard it mentioned, I went to it and found it had been played over 1,400 times! Scores of whom were cheaters, of course, guessing correctly in a single try. Hopefully that dies off quickly; the internet has a short attention span.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

SkoolRN wrote:
econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:199,000? Couldn't even make it to 200k? I'm very disappointed.
5 for 5 on purses. I guess it's a girl thing.

ya think?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote:Best part of the game for me: seeing Joon's Cheshire Cat grin as the camera panned their faces during the final. I fully expected some green screen magic to make you disappear.
I made the same comment. He did have quite the grin, but then again he usually does.
boson wrote:I've been watching east coast feeds recently, but watched the time shifted Seattle version today, and saw a big credit roll at the end. Does that happen all the time on other peoples' stations? First time I've seen it in a long time.
How do you watch the East Coast feeds, pray tell?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:
How do you watch the East Coast feeds, pray tell?
Sorry, I may have used incorrect terminology. I watch the local CBC or CBS channels for J! most of the time. Put the local CBS on the PVR last night only to find it had been pre-empted by a half-hour charity advertisement (without changing the listings on the pvr. grrr). I have digital cable with access to some Seattle channels and watched the game "live" at 10:30pm EDT.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

With seven wins and $199,000, Joon Pahk moves into second place in the ToC standings.
billiej

Post by billiej »

nlw44 wrote:
Regarding purses, I can't see most men getting much in the category, but I can't be the only woman who only got a couple either. Believe me, overpriced and overhyped name-brand purses are not on every woman's top ten list of things to remember for Jeopardy.
You're not the only one. I only got 2. If I had been playing I would've avoided that category like the plague.

Otherwise, I found this to be a super easy board, breaking 40k for the first time. Then it took me 25 secs. to come up with FJ. :oops:
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

I'm not too sanguine about the chances of this being right, but is O on its own acceptable for the "universal donor"? Or is that a negative (just to continue the bad punning)?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

heisman65 wrote:I'm not too sanguine about the chances of this being right, but is O on its own acceptable for the "universal donor"? Or is that a negative (just to continue the bad punning)?
I would say that technically it is probably incorrect, but I would think that Alex would probably have given a "be more specific" if someone had given that as an answer. Or he may have just paused and waited to see if you were going to add anything else. If asked to BMS, would you have gone from "O" to "O-negative"? If so, I would say you can give yourself credit without too much apprehension.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i think an unqualified O is just plain wrong. 40+% of the population is type O, but the clue said 7%, which makes it O– for sure. this is one of the rare cases when the clue is specific enough to rule out the more general answer, so "O" by itself shouldn't be prompted.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Bloody good show! Thanks for the clarification!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

heisman65 wrote:I'm not too sanguine about the chances of this being right, but is O on its own acceptable for the "universal donor"? Or is that a negative (just to continue the bad punning)?
I think you're out of luck. Sarah (yes?) gave a specific percentage (seven, I think) of people who have that blood type. O, without specifying Rh status, is the blood type of over 40%, and I think that's cause enough to simply rule you wrong and not give a BMS. Besides which, the majority of O blood is not the universal donor; Rh-negative people can't receive Rh-positive blood.

edit: too slow responding on my phone
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

No more bad puns … I promise. But thanks, Stefan, even if you were a little late (that Joon's tough on the buzzer!). I'm just honored to be in the presence of such great champions (which I one day aspire to as well). Oh, and I forgot the most important thing — Go, Joon, go!
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

"In 1965 this African American with an alliterative name won the singles & doubles college tennis titles"

My initial reaction to this clue was that "Arthur Ashe" isn't alliterative but assonant. Grammarians?