Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6222, 2011-10-11

Joon Pahk game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Ashley Shannon, an English professor from Grand Rapids, Michigan
Michael Stewart, a Renaissance player and trivia host from Charlotte, North Carolina
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 6-day cash winnings total $169,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our newcomers Ashley and Michael. It is tempting, of course, to feel slightly intimidated when going up against someone like Joon, who has been playing extremely well, so on the positive side for you two, let me just say this--even Ken Jennings lost a game... eventually. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. Categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ONE-LINERS (5/5)
PURSE-ONALITIES (5/5)
TV SERIES FINALES (5/5)
SHE CREATED HIM (5/5)
GOOGLE ME THIS! (5/5)
GIVING BLOOD (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Sarah: Less than 5 Americans out of 100 do it, and the Red Cross could use your help.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Ashley: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Michael: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $4,000
Ashley: $2,000
Michael: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ashley Shannon is an English professor from Grand Rapids, Michigan, who is also an expert fencer.

Ashley: Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, but I--I had never taken a fencing class before college. I took it in PE, got asked to join the team, and so I can say that I am an official Division I national champion in fencing at Notre Dame.

Alex: Now when you--when women are fencing, they use foils only, is that right?

Ashley: Not anymore. Um, I actually fenced epée, so...

Alex: Ohh. Hello.

Ashley: So I'm always ready for crossword puzzles. [Chuckles]

Alex: Okay--yes, 'cause that word does come up a lot.

Ashley: Yeah.

Alex: Michael Stewart.

Michael: Yes, sir.

Alex: Michael Stewart...

Michael: Yes.

Alex: You received write-in votes for president of the United States--

Michael: The United States of America.

Alex: Really?

Michael: Yes, indeed. I play a well-loved character at renaissance festivals, a politician, and people decided that my character, Sir John Bullfrog, should be president of the United States.

Alex: Oh, so it's your character, not you as Michael Stewart.

Michael: Don't we always vote for the character, though?

[Laughter]

Alex: For people with character.

Michael: Exactly, and I have lots.

Alex: Yes.

Alex: Let's go to Joon Pahk. He has character. He's a physics teacher from Massachusetts, and he runs a daily quiz on his web site. What's it called?

Joon: It's called "Guess My Word", so every day I'm thinking of a word, and you can guess any word in the dictionary, and all I'll tell you is whether my word is before or after yours in the dictionary, and then you keep guessing until you can narrow it down to--to the right word.

Alex: Oh, to the right word, after about 16,000 tries?

Joon: No, it usually takes--it usually takes them between 10 and 20 guesses.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Joon: Yeah.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Joon had $7,400, Michael had $1,400, and Ashley was at $2,000. Joon wagered $3,000.

GIVING BLOOD $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew is donating blood at an American Red Cross blood donation center in Washington, D.C.) Once your blood is collected it goes to a lab where it's separated into components, mainly red cells, platelets & this liquid part, which will be frozen until needed

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $12,400
Ashley: $5,000
Michael: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COLLEGE SPORTS (5/5)
THE SEC (5/5)
THE MOUNTAIN WEST (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE PATRIOT LEAGUE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE SUN BELT (5/5)
THE BIG "TEN" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 15 R, 2 W
Michael: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Ashley: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Joon had $12,800, Michael had $3,000, and Ashley was at $5,000. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

THE PATRIOT LEAGUE $1200: Isaac Hull captained this ship in 1812 as cannonballs from the frigate Guerriere bounced off it

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Joon had $24,000, Michael had $11,200, and Ashley was at $6,600. Michael wagered $5,000.

THE MOUNTAIN WEST $1600: These mountains west of the Hudson take their name from the Dutch for "Wildcat Creek"
(Michael: What are the Alleghenies?)
(Michael: [Gestures at his head and murmurs] Of course.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $26,400 (lock game)
Ashley: $11,800
Michael: $8,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew delivers a Footnote about giving blood with the Red Cross.)
Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. It might be a car accident victim, requiring up to 100 pints, or a sickle cell disease patient, needing regular transfusions, so roll up your sleeve and pitch in.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Joon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ashley: Wager $4,601 to cover Michael.
Michael: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"'How are you getting on?' said" this animal character, "as soon as there was mouth enough for it to speak with"

FINAL SCORES
Michael: $8,200 + $7,200 = $15,400 (What is the Cheshire Cat) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ashley: $11,800 + $4,601 = $16,401 (What is the Cheshire Cat?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joon: $26,400 + $2,700 = $29,100 (What is the Cheshire cat?) (7-day champion: $199,000)
(Alex: Marvelous character--appeared and disappeared, and the last thing to go was the mouth.)
(Alex: From Alice in Wonderland.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $0

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $23,800, 33 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Ashley: $11,800, 11 R, 0 W
Michael: $11,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $47,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 34/59 = .576
Michael: 16/60 = .267
Ashley: 12/58 = .207
Team: 62/63 = .984

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ONE-LINERS $600: Will Rogers:
This group, then with 96 members, "opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation"
(Joon: What is Congress?)
(Alex: You had to be specific on that one.)

GOOGLE ME THIS! $400: ...primate & you'll get the foundation that's the home to Koko, one famous for her sign language skills
(Joon: What is a chimpanzee?)

GIVING BLOOD $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew is being prepped to donate blood at an American Red Cross blood donation center in Washington, D.C.) Before giving blood a simple test will ensure that you don't have anemia, & that donating blood won't bring it on, as you'll be giving up about 250 milligrams of this element

GIVING BLOOD $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew holds bags of blood at an American Red Cross blood donation center in Washington, D.C.) Every unit of blood is screened & tested for many different viruses, including HIV, & infections, including this--both B & C

GIVING BLOOD $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew is donating blood at an American Red Cross blood donation center in Washington, D.C.) The Red Cross could really use your blood if this is your blood type; shared by only 7% of the population, it's the universal donor

GIVING BLOOD $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew preps to donate blood at an American Red Cross blood donation center in Washington, D.C.) Technically, the person who draws your blood is called this, from the Greek word for vein

COLLEGE SPORTS $1600: Last name of the twins seen here; they put their oars in the water for Oxford as well as Harvard

THE MOUNTAIN WEST $1200: It's the highest peak in the Cascade range of the Northwest
(Joon: What is Mount Saint Helens?)

THE SUN BELT $2000: The Sun converts about 4.5 million tons of matter into energy every second by this type of nuclear reaction
(Michael: What is fission?)

THE SEC $1200: To help enforce the regs, all the commissioners have this type of graduate degree, including from Yale & Harvard
(Joon: What is an M.B.A.?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
plasma
the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides")
the Catskills
the Cheshire Cat
the Senate
a gorilla
iron
hepatitis
O negative
a phlebotomist
Winklevoss
Mount Rainier
fusion
a J.D. (a law degree)
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOIL

Post by Bob78164 »

alietr wrote:This is getting monotonous ... J(oon)! Round
I dare say not for Joon. --Bob
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Antenna(e) for tentacle? Alex didn't actually say it had to start with "ten" when he introduced the category (though the other four responses did start with "ten"). I hate the quotation categories because it's not always clear what the parameters are...
ETA: Well, not really hate... they are usually pretty good categories, it just makes me nervous when it's not clear.
RockinRobin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by RockinRobin »

When will the game that was played on 10-6-2011 be posted? I am really interested in that one.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. Makes me feel a teensy bit better about yesterday's blunder, except I only seem to be getting the easy ones so far this season.

199,000? Couldn't even make it to 200k? I'm very disappointed.

(kidding :mrgreen: )
Maybe the 25-day champ idea is still in play...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:199,000? Couldn't even make it to 200k? I'm very disappointed.
*nod* I was wondering if he added wrong, but when I re-checked the scores, I saw it wasn't feasible.

Also, that purse category was brutal. Was that $200 clue supposed to be easy? I had at least heard of Louis Vuitton and Hermes, but not that one. Regardless, it was a perfect 0-for-5.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
ANother runaway for Joon, thanks to the missed Catskills DD, Michael might have won a game another day if not for Joon, he tried to catch up and went True DD on the first DJ! DD. I suspect we might see more big DD wagers when needed by others for as long as Joon is there. Ashley came close to preventing a runaway at DJ!'s end, but it was not to be. FJ! was a triple get anyway. $199K puts Joon at sixth all-time among regular game winners. $36406 or more won tomorrow would make him third behind KJ(whom Alex mentioned has having once lost a game at the top of today's episode) and David Madden
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Tonight's FJ was as easy as I had thought last night's was. Both boards seemed really easy to me tonight.

Legend ... if you're posting in the thread marked "Spoilers" there's no need to use the Spoiler tag to post information about the game.

And I never said that Joon would think this run to be monotonous (and I certainly don't think so myself -- it's getting hard to come up something new each time). It may work out well for people to be lucky than good, but Joon, you're both. And killer buzzer speed. Congratulations once again.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:199,000? Couldn't even make it to 200k? I'm very disappointed.
*nod* I was wondering if he added wrong, but when I re-checked the scores, I saw it wasn't feasible.

Also, that purse category was brutal. Was that $200 clue supposed to be easy? I had at least heard of Louis Vuitton and Hermes, but not that one. Regardless, it was a perfect 0-for-5.
5 for 5 on purses. I guess it's a girl thing.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

SkoolRN wrote:5 for 5 on purses. I guess it's a girl thing.
Ya think? (I believe I got 3 of 'em somehow)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I got 3 of the 5, mainly because I watch a lot of The Price is Right. Such an easy way to learn them too. My 44/60 returns again this season, wasn't so hot as I was yesterday. First Final Jeopardy get for me since last Monday. (Didn't realize it was that long)

Joon, congrats on at least $199,000 (you're getting $200,000 even if you lose tomorrow.) You're showing how much of a powerhouse you are. (Of course you beat a powerhouse to do so). You're also now 6th all time in winnings. An even $31,201 tomorrow would take out Roger Craig for 4th.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

alietr wrote:
And BTW, Kate Spade is David Spade's sister-in-law.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:
I noticed how the girl contestant kept going back to that one quite quickly. :) (I got the $800, which was overvalued IMHO)
debramc wrote:Antenna(e) for tentacle? Alex didn't actually say it had to start with "ten" when he introduced the category (though the other four responses did start with "ten"). I hate the quotation categories because it's not always clear what the parameters are...
ETA: Well, not really hate... they are usually pretty good categories, it just makes me nervous when it's not clear.
FWIW I'm wondering the same thing.

Also, $400 Mountain West: "Rockies" for "Sierra Nevadas"? Would this be a BMS, or acceptable on its own?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

RockinRobin wrote:When will the game that was played on 10-6-2011 be posted? I am really interested in that one.
i used my winnings to pay off the archivists to obliterate the details of how badly franny kicked my ass in that game.
alietr wrote:It may work out well for people to be lucky than good, but Joon, you're both. And killer buzzer speed. Congratulations once again.
thanks. i've been telling people that you need a pretty remarkable combination of luck and skill to pull off a big streak. if your name is ken jennings and you can lock up 64 games before FJ, then you don't need much luck (though even KJ won 10 non-lock games, which is lucky). if you're anybody else, then you're just not good enough to be a favorite against any two players on any board, so you need some luck. my 3rd and 4th games were incredibly lucky, as we've already seen. my 2nd and 6th games were buoyed by the immense good fortune of landing a huge DD right in my wheelhouse (two math DDs in a week? praise be to al rosen!).

today's game had some hidden luck. if michael hits his DD, that wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game because FJ ended up being really easy again, so him missing it just cost me about $10k (and him $1k). but actually, i was thinking about what would have happened if there had been a DD in the college sports category for $1600, which is the single most likely spot on the board for a DD. i'd certainly have made a huge bet, maybe another true DD, and i did not know winklevoss (hence my "funny you should ask" from friday's thread). something to chew on.

katie, you're up next. you ready? :)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:
I noticed how the girl contestant kept going back to that one quite quickly. :) (I got the $800, which was overvalued IMHO)
debramc wrote:Antenna(e) for tentacle? Alex didn't actually say it had to start with "ten" when he introduced the category (though the other four responses did start with "ten"). I hate the quotation categories because it's not always clear what the parameters are...
FWIW I'm wondering the same thing.

Also, $400 Mountain West: "Rockies" for "Sierra Nevadas"? Would this be a BMS, or acceptable on its own?
Regarding purses, I can't see most men getting much in the category, but I can't be the only woman who only got a couple either. Believe me, overpriced and overhyped name-brand purses are not on every woman's top ten list of things to remember for Jeopardy.

As for "antenna" as an answer for that other clue, I got the impression that they actually wanted antenna but accepted tentacle. There was a bit of a hesitation or surprise in Alex's voice when he accepted it. I don't have the exact wording of the clue, but based on what I remember, I don't have any doubt that antenna would have been perfectly acceptable.

Rockies wouldn't have worked for Sierra Nevada. I think they've negged that kind of thing before, and the Rocky Mountains proper are considered much further east and more extensive.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

jpahk wrote:
RockinRobin wrote:When will the game that was played on 10-6-2011 be posted? I am really interested in that one.
i used my winnings to pay off the archivists to obliterate the details of how badly franny kicked my ass in that game.
alietr wrote:It may work out well for people to be lucky than good, but Joon, you're both. And killer buzzer speed. Congratulations once again.
thanks. i've been telling people that you need a pretty remarkable combination of luck and skill to pull off a big streak. if your name is ken jennings and you can lock up 64 games before FJ, then you don't need much luck (though even KJ won 10 non-lock games, which is lucky). if you're anybody else, then you're just not good enough to be a favorite against any two players on any board, so you need some luck. my 3rd and 4th games were incredibly lucky, as we've already seen. my 2nd and 6th games were buoyed by the immense good fortune of landing a huge DD right in my wheelhouse (two math DDs in a week? praise be to al rosen!).

today's game had some hidden luck. if michael hits his DD, that wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game because FJ ended up being really easy again, so him missing it just cost me about $10k (and him $1k). but actually, i was thinking about what would have happened if there had been a DD in the college sports category for $1600, which is the single most likely spot on the board for a DD. i'd certainly have made a huge bet, maybe another true DD, and i did not know winklevoss (hence my "funny you should ask" from friday's thread). something to chew on.

katie, you're up next. you ready? :)
As soon as I saw the picture, I thought, Oh,yeah, the twins from The Social Network. Some Dutch sounding name. And that's as close as I got. Congratulations, again!
Casey Stengel.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

jpahk wrote:katie, you're up next. you ready? :)
I'm trying to figure out how it's possible to be prospectively nervous for a retrospective event. I had about a minute to be suitably impressed by your win before they called my name.

Michael has a big personality -- we bonded over his Scrooge McDuck tie and Mickey Mouse band-aid on the shuttle to the studio. Plus Charlotte is about two hours away from here, so we had some geographical commonalities as well.

I did okay on the purse category, but was pretty scattershot in most of the rest of the board: two here, three there. And that FJ was as much of a gimme for me as yesterday's was an absolute blank.

And here's a hint for tomorrow's opener: I realized last week that Trebek made an error in tomorrow's introduction. See if you can spot it, assuming it survives.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

nlw44 wrote: but I can't be the only woman who only got a couple either.
You're not : I only got the LV one (though I had no idea that house was so old).

I've had my current purse for at least three years.

No reason to replace it ;-/
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Joon! I don't know if you appreciate how exceptional you are, surviving a game that Alex started by cursing you with the "K" word... :) Well done! Did you gauge your FJ! wager to hit a $199,000 total?
debramc wrote:Antenna(e) for tentacle?
I noticed they narrowed the "tendinitis" clue so that "tennis elbow" wouldn't fit.
dhkendall wrote: Also, $400 Mountain West: "Rockies" for "Sierra Nevadas"?
No, specifically because the Sierra Nevadas, mainly in California, are separated by the Great Basin desert from the Rockies, which pass one to two states east of California.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.