Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Re: Monday, September 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:There's just too much riding on that one question to have it come down to "How many of you can recite the first line of a nearly-50-year-old song that's not in regular radio rotation?"
I disagree with this premise. "The Weight" is/was definitely in regular radio rotation or else I never would have heard it. It is definitely one of The Band's most well-known songs. I agree it's a tough FJ. I know the song and I know who it's by and still whiffed on it.
The song is definitely not obscure. It ranked #41 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It is one of the two The Band songs (along with "Up On Cripple Creek") that I am accustomed to hearing on classic rock radio. It was also used in a big ad campaign by Cingular/AT&T Wireless, though I realize after looking it up that that was a decade ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzSY72yUwM

Maybe it's because my strengths lie more with pop culture subjects than with the classics, but I think this was a good FJ! It required a YEKIOYD element, but it also required further work. Compare it to the "'drew on,' 'threw on,' 'ruin'" FJ! from June 15. There, you had to recognize those words as rhyming with "joo-on," then know that the title character's name in "Don Juan" is pronounced in such an unorthodox fashion, then know who wrote "Don Juan." Here, you just had to know a classic rock song that contains the word Nazareth in its opening line, then remember who sang that song.
Sprinkles are for winners.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

silverscreentest wrote:I knew only two facts about Nazareth - their only U.S. hit single,"Love Hurts" and that they took their name from "The Weight" by the Band.
That's one more thing than I knew about them prior to this FJ.
opusthepenguin wrote:[General message to the entire Internet: Please note the use of "affect" and the two uses of "effect"--as a noun and as a verb--in my first paragraph. Study those examples until you understand how to use these words, or just stop using them. You're driving me nuts.]
Before I read down to the end of your post, I was gonna reply with an award of bonus points for using those words correctly.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

silverscreentest wrote:I knew only two facts about Nazareth - their only U.S. hit single,"Love Hurts" and that they took their name from "The Weight" by the Band.
I was in the car with my mom last week when "Love Hurts" came on. Neither of us had ever heard it; I thought it was an obscure GNR song. Shazam pulled through.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:This is one of the times I wish ties hadn't been abolished. I could watch Matt and Vicki battle it out all week. ...

Matt's shouting was measurably less today than Friday. Perhaps they reminded him he has a microphone. Cutting Alex off annoys me, but clearing all the boards two days in a row makes me happy. I might not like his methods, but by God do I respect them. I also liked his DD wagering. He's obviously maxed his points on Intelligence, but also saved some for Wisdom to know that there are things he doesn't know. With his knowledge and conservative but not too conservative wagering, he's going to go far.
I'm wondering if anyone working for the show gives feedback or pointers on how one comes across on camera. I'm in a job that requires speaking in pressure situations where all eyes are on the speaker, and when you're in that situation, it's not uncommon for people to have no idea how they project - beginners usually talk to fast, too loud, they avoid eye contact, etc. Contrast Matt's style with Vicki, who appeared much more poised because she's been under the spotlight in her career. So, keeping in mind that this is both competition and entertainment, is there anyone who would say to Matt, for example, "Hey, take a deep breath once in a while, don't talk over Alex," for example, or are you pretty much left on your own?

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

I did get The Band, it felt really easy, but probably due to not realizing not everyone is immersed in the same pop culture as me. I would have felt much sympathy for anyone who guessed Aretha Franklin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wta5GU3FNhA
teapot37 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: I know of Paul and Clay, so it was an easy get here. Unfortunately, I had never heard of your governor before, so I did learn something today.

Can you name mine? ;)
Took me a minute to remember Robert Bentley. (I admit Beshear is in the lower tier of notable governors.)
He's a bit higher-profile lately with the Kim Davis shenanigans.
Rafferty Barnes wrote:The Band is both the stupidest and most arrogant band name ever.
Ahem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otn8CG5Lazc
I've always wondered if they came up with that name as an attempt to be ungoogleable.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

It wasn't a pure YKIOYD, because you can get it without knowing anything about the band Nazareth or where their name came from. You could tease it out just by knowing the Band song - but this thread seems to show that that would not not be easy for the average contestant.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bpmod wrote:
OK. Check that!

I was positive they had another hit song even bigger than Love Hurts. And one of their own, at that. It turns out I was wrong on the second part. I had no idea that This Flight Tonight was a remake, but that discovery, in turn, answers an age-old question.

Between Rush, Chilliwack, and (now the other one has escaped me), everybody around here when I was younger always mistook Nazareth as Canadian. Now I find out the song is Canadian (that is, written and originally performed by a Canadian).

ETA: Now it's going be bugging me all day. If somebody can tell me the other song / group I'm thinking of, it'd sure be a help.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Matt isn't nearly as obnoxious as previous players. I missed his Friday game but I hope to catch the rest of his (presumed) long run. As for Nazareth, I went to college in upstate NY & they were all over the radio. I hated them back then but I grew to appreciate them later in life. And The Last Waltz is the second greatest concert film.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:And The Last Waltz is the second greatest concert film.
After what?

Brian

dharrisf
Valued Contributor

Post by dharrisf »

This game reminded me of my fourth and final game (air date June 15). Matt reminds me a lot of Brennan Bushee, who won that game and went on to win four more, and Vicki under other circumstances could have been a solid champ, just like Amy in the game we both lost to Brennan.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

bpmod wrote:
harrumph wrote:Here's a few more Rock 'N Roll YKIOYD FJs.

This band's 1969 debut album was named after a popular song from that album, and in that title if you reversed two words the name of the band appears.

This popular 1970s era band was named after a dildo mentioned in a William S Burroughs novel.

These two 1970s era bands were often known by three letter acronyms that differed only in the last letter, and those two letters are adjacent to each other in the alphabet.
Spoiler
1. In the court of the Crimson King?
2. Steely Dan
3. ELO & ELP
Brian
Bingo.

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

bpmod wrote:
bpmod wrote:
OK. Check that!

I was positive they had another hit song even bigger than Love Hurts. And one of their own, at that. It turns out I was wrong on the second part. I had no idea that This Flight Tonight was a remake, but that discovery, in turn, answers an age-old question.

Between Rush, Chilliwack, and (now the other one has escaped me), everybody around here when I was younger always mistook Nazareth as Canadian. Now I find out the song is Canadian (that is, written and originally performed by a Canadian).

ETA: Now it's going be bugging me all day. If somebody can tell me the other song / group I'm thinking of, it'd sure be a help.

Brian
April Wine? Blue Rodeo? Surely not Tragically Hip.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bomtr wrote:
bpmod wrote:ETA: Now it's going be bugging me all day. If somebody can tell me the other song / group I'm thinking of, it'd sure be a help.
April Wine? Blue Rodeo? Surely not Tragically Hip.
Earlier than Blue Rodeo. Definitely not the Hip. When I saw April Wine there, I thought you might be on to something, but I still can't find it. The song had the words 'night' and 'flight' or 'fly' in the title.

Brian

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Vermonter wrote:
I was in the car with my mom last week when "Love Hurts" came on. Neither of us had ever heard it; I thought it was an obscure GNR song. Shazam pulled through.
Interestingly enough, GNR covered Nazareth's second-most-popular song, "Hair of the Dog," on their album "The Spaghetti Incident?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2sVZ1gC7zk
Sprinkles are for winners.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

dhkendall wrote:
patkav wrote:
I think it's YKIOYD, but looking at it now, I see that the word "band" is conspicuously absent from the clue, where normally it would be used to describe the "group," yes?
"Band" is used to describe a lot more than the group Yes, it's used to describe the group Dixie Chicks, the group Beatles, the group Genesis, the group Bon Jovi, the group Bread ...
Rim shot with a side of wince for you, sir.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

bpmod wrote:
Johnblue wrote:And The Last Waltz is the second greatest concert film.
After what?

Brian

Gimme Shelter.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:
bpmod wrote:
I was positive they had another hit song even bigger than Love Hurts. And one of their own, at that.

Brian
I'm a little late getting to it after reading through the last three and a half pages of this thread, but the other Nazareth song that gets major airplay is Hair of the Dog, as BigDaddyMatty posted a more recent cover version above.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: As for "The Weight"--or anything by The Band, really--being hard rock, um, no.
I don't think the the FJ response was intended to fit the category in this instance. I think the clue writers appointed the category on the basis of the subject in the clue (How did Nazareth choose their name?).

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

After reading through the latest batch of comments, I'd be interested to see a poll broken down not only by get/miss rate, but also by age bracket. I started my teenage years when every radio station was in the process of shedding its DJs and being homogenized to 1000 songs playing on endless automatic repeat, but before online streaming music and YouTube had become a big thing. As a result, I had a poor music education in which "Classic Rock" was Led Zeppelin and Queen and "Jazz" was Dave Brubeck and so forth, until I started digging deeper on my own in my late teens/early 20s with the help of the net.

I'm not at all surprised that a younger player with a strong knowledge base in other subjects like Matt missed this one - I'm not sure how he would have repeatedly come across it long enough to know the first line unless he had parents who played it in the car or was a Scorsese completist who saw The Last Waltz. Please understand, all, I'm not balking that "nobody's ever heard of this song/band," which is obviously untrue - even I have "I Shall Be Released" on my iPod - but I'm surprised that J! would do a FJ which requires strong familiarity of the subject matter of this one song, particularly since there's nothing in the clue that would lead to you being at least able to identify the song they're looking for as "The Weight" if you know it only by title and reputation.

Example of a FJ clue that does fit the guideline I'm proposing:

#5899, aired 2010-04-15 BEATLES SONGS: The title of this Beatles song is a Yoruba phrase that means "life goes on"

If you're not much of a Beatles fan but know the titles of a few Beatles songs, you can go down the list looking for a song that doesn't line up with any known English words and get "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" that way, especially since you can further pinpoint the timeline based on any additional knowledge of when in their career the Beatles were moving beyond simple pop melodies and exploring world music. By contrast, even if I knew of the existence of a song by The Band called "The Weight," I wouldn't necessarily know that the word "Nazareth" could be found in the first line.

I say this is a clue that suffers from Baby Boomer writing room bias. I'll accept that it may be easier for an older generation, but I don't feel that it has the "OH, OF COURSE!" lightbulb factor that makes for a great FJ. The perfect FJ is one where even if nothing about the clue or answer is familiar to you, you still have the sense of two disparate things being illuminated by a previously unknown connection. I'm still looking for that factor in this clue.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: That the song is called "The Weight"? I would definitely need multiple choice for that title although with four options I am sure I could have known that was it.
As noted by a subsequent poster, a lot of people that hear the song passively only remember the line: "Take a load off Annie......ya put the load right on me" and have no idea what the actual title is.
That's why I suspect the writers decided not to ask for the song title but instead, the artist, believing the latter is more common stream.
IMHO, YEKIOYD applies to both the song title and the artist.
harrumph wrote: An added difficulty factor here is that The Weight was not at all a hit single in 1968, so it doesn't pop out when you think of famous songs from that era. The song became known years later from airplay in certain radio formats. The "1968" part of the clue just doesn't help you solve it.
This.

worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Maybe it's because my strengths lie more with pop culture subjects than with the classics, but I think this was a good FJ! It required a YEKIOYD element, but it also required further work. Compare it to the "'drew on,' 'threw on,' 'ruin'" FJ! from June 15. There, you had to recognize those words as rhyming with "joo-on," then know that the title character's name in "Don Juan" is pronounced in such an unorthodox fashion, then know who wrote "Don Juan." Here, you just had to know a classic rock song that contains the word Nazareth in its opening line, then remember who sang that song.
Hmm…not sure I agree with this. The "Don Juan" poem has survived almost 200 years, and Lord Byron is one of those few poets famous enough that even the average non-Jeopardy contender will have heard of him. And from the rhyming hints, one could surmise that the name of the poem had to end with "n" and was two syllables. Right there that makes the Byron question fairly "gettable" even if someone is making a WAG. On the other hand, if someone isn't a baby boomer it seems like it's just wild luck if they happen to know who The Band is.