Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
mrexley wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Second game in a row that the player in the middle got crushed by Matt and the right side challenger.
Actually the middle podium has not been kind to several players thus far -- Cam, Jedidiah, Sue, Kyle... maybe Talia damaged the buzzer?

Also, every new champ has come from the right podium.
Y'know, I wonder if there's anything to this theory. Has anyone ever done a breakdown of whether one new-player podium is likelier over the other to result in the contestant advancing to the winner's podium? The only psychological difference I can think of is that it might be more intimidating to be in the middle because you have the winner on one side and your opponent on the left, so you're more conscious of the competition.

I started on middle podium, but that might have given me an advantage because that's the one I was hoping to get.
Well...during a Teen Tournament, Raynell was on the 1st podium and had some technical difficulties on what could have been where he could have almost broke the buzzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJno60x3T1A

Likewise with Ed's case, I don't think the buzzer could possibly break in this case. It's just most likely that you have to be "fast on the draw" with the buzzer. If it did break, then this might complicate the situations with the contestants. I'm pretty sure that after the taping of the show, they make sure that the signaling device works for all of the podiums. I mean, previous champs from the Battle of the Decades each have a different way on how they ring in. This was it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmMX6EmyesI

But yeah...I can see your point, Jennifer. Prior after watching those past episodes, the new reigning champs have been at the 3rd podium so far. Ed, Audrey, Natalie, Dylan, and now Matt. I'm not sure if this is quite a predicament.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote:One thing I hate about playing the board from the bottom up is that it makes the last couple of minutes of play pointless, like tonight.
Much like the rest of the scheduled games for the National League. :D

My answer of "What is the museum where The Night Watch is hanging?" sadly fell short.
My precall was "What is that museum in Madrid that I couldn't recall after 3 minutes of commercials?" (Prado.)

I've been having a problem clearing that last hurdle recently... I know exactly what the response is -except- what it actually is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote:
Leander wrote:One thing I hate about playing the board from the bottom up is that it makes the last couple of minutes of play pointless, like tonight.
With Jeopardy!, the chances of leaving the field of play on a stretcher are somewhat lower, however. (Google "Piscotty Bourjos collision" if you don't know what I'm talking about. Thankfully, Piscotty is going to be fine.)
Volante wrote: My answer of "What is the museum where The Night Watch is hanging?" sadly fell short.
My precall was "What is that museum in Madrid that I couldn't recall after 3 minutes of commercials?" (Prado.)

I've been having a problem clearing that last hurdle recently... I know exactly what the response is -except- what it actually is.
That's happened to me a few times, but I did pull Rijksmuseum. My precall was Bilbao.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

We have not discussed music enough in the Monday thread. No R.E.M. in HAIRLESS BANDS? I lost that bet.

THEATER RHYME TIME $600: A short snooze inside an opening in a stage floor

Nap Trap was the correct response although it seemed like Alex was looking for "trap nap." If someone had "gap nap" or "nap gap" could that be acceptable or the stage floor opening can only be called a trap?

James Garner for Tommy Lee Jones and then The Notebook coming up was a great "Now's the time for..."

Whoa! No one knew Mayim Bialik off the "blossomed" hint. :(

The FJ! category was a perfect one for precalls. The first thing I wrote in my brainstorm session? Rijksmuseum. When Cam's "Rikjsmuseum" was accepted I was afraid I had blown it on the spelling. It was very nice of Alex to assure me that Alan had it spelled correctly.

Because of the United Kingdom DD I had figured all the various British museums were out. Because of the COUNTRIES IN SPANISH category I had eliminated the Prado. Because of a recent FJ! clue I did not expect the clue to be about the Uffizi. The Louvre and Hermitage were all that were left on my precall list to complement my correct first insinct.

After Hammer made his typical NHOI comment I was surprised the archive had no hints since 2013 as I would have guessed Rijksmuseum comes up every season.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:Whoa! No one knew Mayim Bialik off the "blossomed" hint. :(
I never even picked up on the TOM, which made that one a real forehead slapper.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Matt on another great win!

Alan was tough competition, perhaps his toughest yet. But Matt took over in the second round and added $6,000 to his total with two DDs and got himself his third lock in a row.

Tomorrow he faces dlbookman, a boardie on this site. Should be interesting. Good luck to all three involved.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:We have not discussed music enough in the Monday thread. No R.E.M. in HAIRLESS BANDS? I lost that bet.
I was hoping for REM or Tool. At least I ran the category anyway (not that that was any great feat [not to be confused with Little Feat -- definitely not a hairless band]).

It seemed like $800 in THEATER RHYME TIME should have been "shocking blocking," but I guess "shock block" was close enough for government work Jeopardy! judges.

I had the right city on FJ but couldn't think of a museum there. I've DHO (Definitely Heard Of) Rijksmuseum, but I don't think I knew where it was.

I was disappointed that the male challenger didn't say hello to his muddah and fadduh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Somehow I doubt Mark Miller/Sawyer Brown would've been on anyone's radar but mine for bald frontmen.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

MarkBarrett wrote:When Cam's "Rikjsmuseum" was accepted I was afraid I had blown it on the spelling. It was very nice of Alex to assure me that Alan had it spelled correctly.
Cam's answer shouldn't have been accepted (Vilnuis), but my guess is they didn't care since it didn't affect the standings.

Then again, Alex's incessant mispronunciation would be more consistent with Cam's spelling than with the correct one. He's paid how much to mangle the response that's supposed to be the climax of the game???
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

48R/1W, $37600
FJ: Instaget and precall

Pavlovs 7/8
Spoiler
Keyword: muskmelon = a cantaloupe
Name: Billy Corgan = the Smashing Pumpkins
Name: Peter Garrett = Midnight Oil
Keyword: Colorado peak = Pike
Keyword: Joint Chiefs; first Chairman = Omar Bradley
Name: Beginners = Christopher Plummer (response contains "mm")
Keyword: nitrogen = ammonia (response contains "mm")
Keyword: E.L. James; James book = Fifty Shades of Grey
I would have had my first 50 if not for coming up with Omar Bradley too late and guessing El Capitan for Half Dome.

It doesn't make for much drama, but I love watching Matt steamroll through these games.
Arthur Chu's games were among my favorites and I could see this easily lasting 11 games.
If I ever get on the show, this is exactly what I want to emulate.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dinghammer wrote:
I was disappointed that the male challenger didn't say hello to his muddah and fadduh.
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to point this out.
davey

Post by davey »

gnash wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:When Cam's "Rikjsmuseum" was accepted I was afraid I had blown it on the spelling. It was very nice of Alex to assure me that Alan had it spelled correctly.
Cam's answer shouldn't have been accepted (Vilnuis), but my guess is they didn't care since it didn't affect the standings.
I think it's acceptable because the j is silent, wherever it goes.
I drew a blank at first, then when it came to me 10 seconds in I almost left out the s after Rijk...Not acceptable.
Last edited by davey on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Things I (and apparently Alan) learned today....Zebulon Pike died in the War of 1812.

No chance for me on FJ, never heard of that museum.

Matt knows his stuff and has pulled away late twice against strong competition. I wonder how he would have done if he had drawn both Alan and Vicki from yesterday on the same show.
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

Matt played another great game. Alan had been in the pool once before and was invited back. He was staying at another hotel, and when the shuttle picked him up, he had a lingering goodbye kiss from who we discovered was his wife. Of maybe a week or two. So he was a newlywed. Good to see him get the chance to play. I thought he, like Vicki on Monday, could have been a champion in other circumstances.

And then they called mine and Samantha's names. A little intimidating after seeing Matt have two locks in a row. But also exciting to play against someone obviously really talented at the game.

I kind of chuckled when they called my name. Both my mom and my wife were in the audience. My wife's birthday was Monday; my mom's was today (Tuesday). It would have been fun to have played on the episodes aired one or both of those days!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Played FJ off this thread. Went with VanGogh - as Mark B pointed out Rijks was not on J radar recently, so wasn't on mine either. Oh well - at least I heard about it as opposed to yesterday's FJ.
Slam rule for tomorrow and Thu? Interesting to see.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:

My answer of "What is the museum where The Night Watch is hanging?" sadly fell short.

I can relate. I hate it.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote:
THEATER RHYME TIME $600: A short snooze inside an opening in a stage floor

Nap Trap was the correct response although it seemed like Alex was looking for "trap nap." If someone had "gap nap" or "nap gap" could that be acceptable or the stage floor opening can only be called a trap?
I don't think you want a gap on your stage floor. Traps have doors...
And "shock block" sounds like morning drive time on the radio. It should have been "shocking blocking"...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

davey wrote:
gnash wrote:
I think it's acceptable because the j is silent, wherever it goes.
It isn't silent. It also isn't a letter. "ij" is the Dutch way of writing "y".
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Great game by Mark! He's either a bit more relaxed or I'm getting used to him. I knew Rijksmuseum right away, partly because I've been there so I guess I pay more attention to stories about it.
theGrue

Post by theGrue »

MarkBarrett wrote:THEATER RHYME TIME $600: A short snooze inside an opening in a stage floor

I wonder if they'd have accepted a "snore door"?