Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7138, 2015-09-30

Matt Jackson game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Samantha Budesa, a billing coordinator from Cookeville, Tennessee
Dennis Lloyd, a publisher from Madison, Wisconsin
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 3-day cash winnings total $81,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Matt Jackson is on the right track. First win--about $21,000. Next time upped it to $30,000. Now he has a three-day total of $81,000, which means he's averaging $27,000 per win. Can he keep it going? Samantha and Dennis are saying, "No, it's my time." Let's find out. Here we go. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JESUS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
5 SHADES OF GRAY (4/5)
CELEBRITY DATE BOOK (5/5)
SUPERLATIVE STATES (4/5)
EDUCATION (3/5)
A FEW GOOD "MEN" (5/5) (Alex: And finally, we're looking for [*] because each correct response will end in those three letters of the alphabet.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Dennis: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Samantha: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dennis found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Matt had $1,000, Dennis had $3,400, and Samantha was at $600. Dennis made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

JESUS $1000: ...ascended into heaven from atop this peak 40 days after his resurrection
(Dennis: Um... what is Mount Ararat?)
(Alex: No. Mount Ararat is in Turkey, I believe.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $3,800
Samantha: $600
Dennis: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Samantha Budesa is a billing coordinator from Tennessee who enjoys reading. Are we talking about e-books, or are we talking about regular, old-fashioned books?

Samantha: We just recently bought an e-reader, but it's regular, old-fashioned books. My husband and I have over 3,000 in our apartment together between the two of us.

Alex: Oh, gosh. That means it's a decor feature by now.

Samantha: Very much so. Very much so.

Alex: Any genre that you're addicted to, in particular?

Samantha: Well, the biggest one we have right now is sci-fi-mystery-fantasy-thriller 'cause they're all kind of jumbled together, and we really need to separate them at this point.

Alex: Okay, you can work on that.

Alex: Dennis Lloyd is a publisher from Madison, Wisconsin, who worked as a singing waiter in college?

Dennis: Yes, in college. Uh, in, uh--I grew up in North Carolina, and a restaurant in Blowing Rock, North Carolina, on a beautiful gorge, and we would sing show tunes and old favorites in the dining room and then would go to what they called the music parlor and put on hour-long versions of Broadway shows for--for tips.

Alex: Good for you. I hope you made a lot of money.

Dennis: Sometimes.

Alex: All right, great.

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion, and he's already won a lot of money, as I mentioned, at the beginning of the program. $81,000. You know what you're going to spend a considerable amount of that on, don't you?

Matt: I don't know about "considerable", but a lot of people thought--like to think about saving money, and, you know, I might like to just spend a lot of it right away. Throw a big dinner party to thank some of the people who helped get me here, so...

Alex: That's a great attitude.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EDUCATION $1000: In 1907, in a slum in Rome, she set up her casa dei bambini, or "children's house"

EDUCATION $800: In 2012 the Sec. of Education said, "No teacher should have to" do this 4-word result of standardized exams

SUPERLATIVE STATES $400: Biggest retailer:
This company based in Washington State
(Matt: What is Costco?)

5 SHADES OF GRAY $800: Maybe American Eagle flew to the moors of Scotland to get this speckled gray for its zip pocket jogger pants

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $7,600
Samantha: $1,000
Dennis: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PAINTED LADIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY CRIME WATCH (4/5)
"C" IN SCIENCE (3/5)
THE PRO SPORTS TEAM & BAND NAME (3/5)
2 LETTERS MISSING (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the two letters that are missing from each clue that I give you.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Dennis: 3 R, 1 W
Samantha: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Matt had $8,800, Dennis had $600, and Samantha was at $2,600. Matt wagered $6,000.

INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES $2000: In 2015 the Intl. NYT debuted a monthly digest of Times content in Chinese for these 2 administrative regions
(Alex: You got them.)
(Matt: [Intensely hitting his palm with his fist] Boom!)
(Alex: "Boom!" indeed.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Matt had $16,800, Dennis had $600, and Samantha was at $2,600. Matt wagered $4,000.

PAINTED LADIES $1600: The lady in this Dutchman's "A Lady Writing" wears a yellow jacket, hair ribbons & pearl earrings

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INSIDE THE NEW YORK TIMES $1200: The web feature "Watching", which began in 2014, gives running updates of news like this National Zoo arrival in Aug. 2015
(Alex: Boy, everybody was excited because [*] was born. Actually, two of them were born.)

LITERARY CRIME WATCH $2000: Appropriately, the final O has a slash in this last name of Norwegian author Jo, creator of Harry Hole

"C" IN SCIENCE $400: Taiga forests of the northern hemisphere are generally composed of this type of tree, not deciduous
(Samantha: What is evergreen?)

"C" IN SCIENCE $2000: The third & last period of the Mesozoic era

THE PRO SPORTS TEAM & BAND NAME $1600: Also an NBA team name, in a British band name, it follows "Love and"

THE PRO SPORTS TEAM & BAND NAME $2000: In the NHL it follows "St. Louis"; in music, it precedes "Traveler"
(Dennis: What is Blue?)
(Alex: Oh, Dennis, you forgot to add the "S". It's the St. Louis [*], or [*] Traveler.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $34,800 (lock game)
Samantha: $3,400
Dennis: $1,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Matt] Another runaway for you. You are a most impressive young man on this program.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNITED NATIONS NATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $27,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Samantha: Wager $201 to cover Dennis.
Dennis: You have the hope of surpassing Samantha for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $1,400 and $1,798.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This nation of 55 million is the only one to provide a secretary-general but never to have a seat on the Security Council

FINAL SCORES
Dennis: $1,800 - $1,601 = $199 (What is Iceland?) (3rd place)
Samantha: $3,400 - $201 = $3,199 (What is Kenya) (2nd place)
Matt: $34,800 - $10,000 = $24,800 (What is ghana) (81201-day champion: $24,800)
(Alex: [To Matt] Secretary General was U Thant.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $28,400, 33 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Dennis: $5,200, 10 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Samantha: $3,400, 6 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 33/60 = .550
Dennis: 10/59 = .169
Samantha: 6/58 = .103
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A FEW GOOD "MEN" $800: Seen here, it's the part of a flower that produces pollen

SUPERLATIVE STATES $1000: Widest highway:
The Katy Freeway in this state, 26 lanes
(Dennis: What is California?)

5 SHADES OF GRAY $1000: You'll never sink this color of the USS Iowa

PAINTED LADIES $2000: "The Portrait of Madame X" is probably the best-known work by this 3-named American painter

"C" IN SCIENCE $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) A spin device can cool a warm drink fast by spinning liquid from the center to the cold outer edge of the can, speeding up this heat-transfer process, also used in many ovens

THE PRO SPORTS TEAM & BAND NAME $400: Sadaharu Oh? Frank Gifford? Tim Lincecum? They Might Be these
(Dennis: What are They Might Be [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Mount of Olives
Maria Montessori
teach to the test
Amazon.com
heather gray
Hong Kong & Macau
(Jan) Vermeer
a panda
Nesbø
coniferous
the Cretaceous
Rockets
Blues
Burma (or Myanmar)
the stamen
Texas
battleship gray
John Singer Sargent
convection
Giants
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

U Cant say some ridiculous response like Iceland for FJ.

Speaking of Iceland, this champ leaves me cold.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Another dominating win by Matt! I hope he can make up for that $10K loss today. I can see him running the rest of the week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did I misremember FJ or did it say the country had 65 million people? (I'm in a hotel so I don't have a recording). According to Wikipedia (I know), Myanmar had a 2014 census population of 51 million.

I guessed Egypt, which had a 2015 estimate of 89 million. Not right (I had no idea about who had been on the Security Council), but probably a better guess than Iceland, which had a 2015 estimate of 329,100 and has never had a Secretary-General. Ghana (one of my rejected guesses, along with Burma) had an estimated 27 million in 2014.

I guess Jesus was not happy Dennis put Him on a mountain with Noah's Ark. What a crash and burn for him. I hated that happened, he seemed like a nice guy.

With three full categories left in the second round, Matt was assured of leading going into FJ even if one of the others ran the board. With two full categories left, he was assured of a lock. He was that dominating.

If he had hit the DDs later (or was more of a sports fan), Matt could have challenged Roger Craig's one-day record.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Bamaman wrote:Did I misremember FJ or did it say the country had 65 million people? (I'm in a hotel so I don't have a recording). According to Wikipedia (I know), Myanmar had a 2014 census population of 51 million.

Only one word for today's episode:

BOOM!

Sorry you ran into the walking, talking steamroller, Dennis.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Did I misremember FJ or did it say the country had 65 million people? (I'm in a hotel so I don't have a recording). According to Wikipedia (I know), Myanmar had a 2014 census population of 51 million.
55 million

I was going between Ghana and Burma, but I just didn't think Burma was that large (Ghana has 27M).
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

OK, I can see why many don't like Matt. That "Boom!" was pretty embarrassing and groan-worthy.

That said, a terrific win.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks for the correction.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I have no idea who has or hasn't been on the security council, and I only know the last 3 security generals, so I went with Egypt.

Has to be hard to stay positive if you're on the losing side of such an onslaught.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another day, another curbstomp. Makin' it look easy, Matt.

FJ wasn't quite instaget (because I honestly don't remember all of the countries that have been on the Security Council), but once I eliminated all of the others, between Burma and Ghana, I felt quite confident picking the former. It seemed like the challengers were just picking random countries up there, which I guess means they didn't remember their countries of origin.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Before it's (inevitably) requested:

https://vine.co/v/eQv0haqnvql
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Matt once again on another resounding win. I had 42 correct responses including seven triple stumpers: teach to the test, amazon.com, heather gray, panda birth, coniferous, Rockets, and Blues. It took me about ten seconds to get FJ.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I thought the FJ was a little nasty, as there seemed to be two plausible candidates for the response. I'd narrowed it down to Ghana and Myanmar, and like Matt, I picked the wrong one. Neither of those countries seemed like the type to have sat on the Security Council. and I didn't know which of the two had a population of 55 million.

Requested weekly poll question for MarkBarrett: "My incorrect guess on Wednesday's FJ was Ghana."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

corvo wrote:OK, I can see why many don't like Matt. That "Boom!" was pretty embarrassing and groan-worthy.
To you, maybe. Matt is a memorable contestant and I like when a player shows emotion and excitement like that.

P.S. I wonder what's going through Alex Jacob's mind as he watches these games. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

United Nations Nations

This nation of 55 million is the only one to provide a secretary-general but never to have a seat on the security council.
Spoiler
What is Burma/Myanmar? Dennis had Iceland; Samantha had Kenya; Matt had Ghana.
Dennis Lloyd: $1,800-$1,601=$199

Samantha Budesa $3,400-$201=$3,199

Matt Jackson: $34,800-$10,000=$24,800; now a 4-day champion with $106,000
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed South Korea on FJ.

Congrats to Matt on another win! It has really been a joy to watch him dominate. If he can attain a lock win tomorrow then he will be in elite company with contestants who have had lock wins (or tie wins) in their first five games...Mike Day, Chuck Forrest, Jonathan Groff, Robin Carroll, Rick Knutsen. There may have been others, but probably not many.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

What's up with slam rule? I Was expecting a move from bookman, never happened. What was his reaction on boom?
I had Chile. I mixed up Ghana's population with Nigeria and eliminated it. Burma occurred a little too late and knew that would be right.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in "Men", "2 Letters", and "'C' in Science", missing Norsemen, Cretaceous (couldn't quite get it out of my mouth in time), and gambol (NHOI), but I ran Jesus.

Lach Trash: Mount of Olives, Blues, coniferou.

Also bit with the Costco negbait on Superlative for $400. To me, "retailer" means brick and mortar.

NHO that austerity thing in NYT for $400. The panda clue also seemed like one of those "recent news at the time of taping, totally forgotten by the time of airing" things.

No guess on FJ! This seems like one of those completely random intersections of facts that I feel has no gain for getting right, as I pointed out in this game.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I think that the TOM here - or at least the one I used even if it was not intended - was "Which country has produced a Secretary General but also has gone through a period of being an international pariah?" No one in modern times has anything against Norway, Sweden, Austria, or Peru (the first three are much too small anyway). Ghana is one of the more successful sub-Saharan African countries. South Korea has become one of the leading Asian nations. Egypt has had some nasty governments but has also usually been one of the leaders among Arab nations (and had strong U.S. support during the decade after Camp David when other Arab countries did denounce it). But Burma/Myanmar over the last few decades has had few friends who would support their Security Council bid.