Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other
Posts: 813
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by bomtr »

Ohhh, so Katie did that...

Great game by Katie; purposeful, resolute, collected. Very impressive.

Since Santa Fe has the greatest number of art galleries per capita in the country (I think Scottsdale is second), it was a good bet given the category name, and it was my precall. I wouldn't, however, have written before seeing the clue. Georgia O'Keeffe sealed the deal. That particular museum, unfortunately, was not open when I spent a few days in Santa Fe. On the marquee of the theater, Mikhail Gorbachev was coming soon. I couldn't wait that long. Reagan gets credit for the wall in this country, but it belongs on Gorbachev's resume.

Joon, let me add my handful to the landslide of congratulations. Tremendous run, great combination of knowledge, buzzer speed, luck, and poise. Fun to watch. By the way, I have enjoyed many of your puzzles in the NYT. Which would likely make them Fri-Sat. Occasionally Thurs approaches the custard-richness of those two. I haven't got my times anywhere near the top solvers' times. I'm curious, though: is solving on paper significantly slower, or is it just me who is slower?

Retroactive best of luck to Joon in the TOC and to Katie in the regular.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

bomtr wrote:Joon, let me add my handful to the landslide of congratulations. Tremendous run, great combination of knowledge, buzzer speed, luck, and poise. Fun to watch. By the way, I have enjoyed many of your puzzles in the NYT. Which would likely make them Fri-Sat. Occasionally Thurs approaches the custard-richness of those two. I haven't got my times anywhere near the top solvers' times. I'm curious, though: is solving on paper significantly slower, or is it just me who is slower?
It probably depends on how fast and accurate one types. Thu-Sat NYT are the hardest NYT as has been said in here before(though Joon didn't mention progression of difficulty when Alex asked about it on the show), I'm not sure how much of a difference it would take to do one online versus on paper outside of how well someone types.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

opusthepenguin wrote:I was kind of surprised that Leigh got the BMS for "Bel(l)". If I'm not imagining the double standard, maybe Joon wouldn't have. I mean, look at the clue: "Fromagerie Bel produces the little wheels called mini this, also a nickname for a type of telecom company". The correct response can't just be to stick a "What is" in front of a word that's already in the clue.
Unless the category is Stupid Answers.

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

bomtr wrote:Joon, let me add my handful to the landslide of congratulations. Tremendous run, great combination of knowledge, buzzer speed, luck, and poise. Fun to watch. By the way, I have enjoyed many of your puzzles in the NYT. Which would likely make them Fri-Sat. Occasionally Thurs approaches the custard-richness of those two. I haven't got my times anywhere near the top solvers' times. I'm curious, though: is solving on paper significantly slower, or is it just me who is slower?
thanks, bomtr. every solver is different, and some of the top speed-solvers aren't at all comfortable solving on the computer. but for those who are, it's definitely faster than solving on paper. for me, i'm usually around 1:45 or 1:50 and occasionally as low as 1:30 doing a monday NYT in across lite, but more like 2:20 on paper. but i'm a very fast touch typist and i'm comfortable navigating the grid in my software of choice. even on a tougher puzzle where pure speed isn't the rate-determining step (so to speak), solving on a computer is faster because it's easier and less time-costly to speculate with a possible answer and see where the crossing letters take you. so i can typically knock out a saturday puzzle in about 4-6 minutes electronically, and more like 7-10 on paper. sunday puzzles are an even bigger win (for me), because they're so big that just finding and matching up clue #s to answer squares on paper is reasonably time-consuming.

and if you like my puzzles, especially the hard ones, be sure to check out saturday (oct 15)'s NYT.

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

jpahk wrote: and if you like my puzzles, especially the hard ones, be sure to check out saturday (oct 15)'s NYT.
We'll be there Sat AM or Friday night at 10PM EST, well the cruciverbalists will anyway. Last Friday's puzzle was made easier as NYT used that day to do the Steve Jobs tribute crossword, which seemed a little easier than a Friday crossword would.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7079
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:thanks, bomtr. every solver is different, and some of the top speed-solvers aren't at all comfortable solving on the computer. but for those who are, it's definitely faster than solving on paper. for me, i'm usually around 1:45 or 1:50 and occasionally as low as 1:30 doing a monday NYT in across lite, but more like 2:20 on paper. but i'm a very fast touch typist and i'm comfortable navigating the grid in my software of choice. even on a tougher puzzle where pure speed isn't the rate-determining step (so to speak), solving on a computer is faster because it's easier and less time-costly to speculate with a possible answer and see where the crossing letters take you. so i can typically knock out a saturday puzzle in about 4-6 minutes electronically, and more like 7-10 on paper. sunday puzzles are an even bigger win (for me), because they're so big that just finding and matching up clue #s to answer squares on paper is reasonably time-consuming.
Aw crap, I'm nowhere near as good as I thought. A Saturday in 4-6? Aye, chihuahua.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen »

Was gone for a week and am still way behind on the show.
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:And those crows from Dumbo? I had never seen it until I watched it with my kids; if there was stuff they cut out, I'm not sure I want to see that footage.
Aside from the crows, what blew me away in Dumbo was the way the other female elephants archly speculated that Dumbo's father was an African elephant.

Another precall of Santa Fe here, but so few of my precalls hit that it's noteworthy when one does.

Gratz to Katie, and looking forward to more of Joon during sweeps month.
Back in the pool

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alamble wrote:
jpahk wrote:
alietr wrote:(I wish I hadn't started this since it's gone on far longer than I anticipated) J(oon)! Round
well, you could switch it up since today's game also has katie.

non-spoilery preview: see if you can guess the correct FJ response from the category alone. i did it on the actual show (though of course i didn't write anything down until the clue came up).
I pre-called Thomas Hart Benton; many of his works are on display at the State Capitol in Jefferson City. Once the actual clue came up though, 'twas instaget.
I took the category to be referring to state capitol buildings and ended up pre-calling Jeff City as well.

FJ! itself was easy enough for me, especially since I've been to said museum.
OCSam

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

OrangeSAM wrote:I pre-called Thomas Hart Benton; many of his works are on display at the State Capitol in Jefferson City. Once the actual clue came up though, 'twas instaget.
I took the category to be referring to state capitol buildings and ended up pre-calling Jeff City as well.
[/quote]

I remember a classroom in HS with O'Keeffe paintings on the wall. Would THomas Hart Benton get much love in regular games, or is he more TofC mentionable?

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

legendneverdies wrote:I remember a classroom in HS with O'Keeffe paintings on the wall. Would THomas Hart Benton get much love in regular games, or is he more TofC mentionable?
A check of the archives shows Benton the artist appearing about a dozen times, including this clue in the category "Missouri" (show link):
The capital building in this city contains several murals by Thomas Hart Benton
O'Keeffe appears about three dozen times.
OCSam

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Turd Ferguson »

legendneverdies wrote:I remember a classroom in HS with O'Keeffe paintings on the wall.
Interesting... were there any "suggestively shaped" flowers in them? (The things one learns at a Reddpen trivia night)
OrangeSAM wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Would THomas Hart Benton get much love in regular games, or is he more TofC mentionable?
A check of the archives shows Benton the artist appearing about a dozen times:
Ah, actually identifying THB seems to have come up six times, twice in the TOC, in the bottom row five of six times (including both TOC clues). Perhaps the Triple Stumper the last time he came up was a bit more "excusable" than I'd thought.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10682
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was reading the latest issue of Nintendo Power and one of the Letters is relevant here:

Zelda in the Form of a Question

I was watching Jeopardy and one of the contestants said that he had quit his summer job to play a video game. I was falling asleep until he announced that the game was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! He continued to say how the game is still the greatest game ever made. I completely 100 percent agree. I rooted for him the rest of the round. Unfortunately, he didn't win, but it was still a cool shout-out to all of the Nintendo fans.
-CREAM THE RABBIT

It's page 6 in the December 2011 subscriber edition vol. 274

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was reading the latest issue of Nintendo Power and one of the Letters is relevant here:

Zelda in the Form of a Question

I was watching Jeopardy and one of the contestants said that he had quit his summer job to play a video game. I was falling asleep until he announced that the game was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! He continued to say how the game is still the greatest game ever made. I completely 100 percent agree. I rooted for him the rest of the round. Unfortunately, he didn't win, but it was still a cool shout-out to all of the Nintendo fans.
-CREAM THE RABBIT

It's page 6 in the December 2011 subscriber edition vol. 274
hard to please! i did okay in my other games.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8776
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:I was reading the latest issue of Nintendo Power and one of the Letters is relevant here:

Zelda in the Form of a Question

I was watching Jeopardy and one of the contestants said that he had quit his summer job to play a video game. I was falling asleep until he announced that the game was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! He continued to say how the game is still the greatest game ever made. I completely 100 percent agree. I rooted for him the rest of the round. Unfortunately, he didn't win, but it was still a cool shout-out to all of the Nintendo fans.
-CREAM THE RABBIT

It's page 6 in the December 2011 subscriber edition vol. 274
And how many times was it mentioned that Stefan was(/is?) a video game tester, without probably nary a fanboy writing in to gaming magazines?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7084
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I was reading the latest issue of Nintendo Power and one of the Letters is relevant here:

Zelda in the Form of a Question

I was watching Jeopardy and one of the contestants said that he had quit his summer job to play a video game. I was falling asleep until he announced that the game was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time! He continued to say how the game is still the greatest game ever made. I completely 100 percent agree. I rooted for him the rest of the round. Unfortunately, he didn't win, but it was still a cool shout-out to all of the Nintendo fans.
-CREAM THE RABBIT

It's page 6 in the December 2011 subscriber edition vol. 274
And how many times was it mentioned that Stefan was(/is?) a video game tester, without probably nary a fanboy writing in to gaming magazines?
There's "game tester" and then there's "Ocarina of Time." Two entirely different beasts, online community wise.

Post Reply