Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote:The first TOC was all five timers, so any four time winners were out of luck that year.
The 2000 and 2001 ToCs also had all 5xers (and college or teen champions). There were even two 5xers who were supposed to play in 2001 but had to be held over until 2003 because the field was full.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Santa Fe for me off the category.

Joon: Did you make any kind of buzzer timing adjustment in the latter part of the DJ round? Your play to finish up Woods had me wondering if you tried to slow down a hair where Chris from your game one was never able to change his timing a tad.

Any chatter about N64 bring back memories for me. I completed OOT with everything found and done, but Banjo-Kazooie is my all-time favorite game. The game that was a fun yet frustrating challenge was getting it all done in Donkey Kong 64.

Katie: You kept it under control, but it must have been a great feeling to see the FJ clue revealed. Lock solve? Check. Enough bet? Check? New champ? Check. Well done.

I'm not seeing complaints about Dr. Oz and his clues like we saw with Y&R. Mehmet had good speed and sounded like he gets plenty of practice from his show in asking questions.
MaureenK

Post by MaureenK »

alamble wrote:
jpahk wrote:
alietr wrote:(I wish I hadn't started this since it's gone on far longer than I anticipated) J(oon)! Round
well, you could switch it up since today's game also has katie.

non-spoilery preview: see if you can guess the correct FJ response from the category alone. i did it on the actual show (though of course i didn't write anything down until the clue came up).
I pre-called Thomas Hart Benton; many of his works are on display at the State Capitol in Jefferson City. Once the actual clue came up though, 'twas instaget.
Well, MY pre-call was the mural that the governor of Maine had removed because it was too "labor-ey". And I've actually been to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:The first TOC was all five timers, so any four time winners were out of luck that year.
What was the highest champions total pre-2001 to not make the TofC. How about post 2001?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have 4-time winner Walter Mayes missing the 1992 TOC with $56,003 along with Josh Vincent $58,800 and Seth Davis $53,801 also with four wins.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Kevin Joyce won three games and over $100,000 and was the alternate in the TOC.

Oz was sprinting through his answers. I thought diabetes was overvalued on row three.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'll blame Joon's loss on the fact that he mentioned a Nintendo product instead of the PlayStation.

(Obviously, I'm joking -- don't want to take anything away from Katie's performance, or even Leigh's.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

heelsrule1988 wrote:But Joon, what a run... it's not like this is goodbye, since we'll see you in a few weeks in the TOC.
Which makes me wonder even more, when was the TOC taped? (I'm sure Joon had a look of surprise on his face when they said how recently the TOC would air). Was it a case of "do the 'go to the green room and change' drill, but this time it's for the TOC taping, which starts in 10 minutes. Hurry!"
Bamaman wrote:So why wasn't just "First century" accepted? They didn't require AD for any of the others.
I think because the "AD" is implied in "X century". I wouldn't accept "first century" - a BMS wouldn't have hurt, but then that *might* be steering the player towards the correct answer (again, because of the implied "AD"s and because BMSes weren't asked for the others that lacked era nomenclatures)
Bamaman wrote:Instaget FJ, but spent the last 28 seconds hoping she was from New Mexico.
As usual, what's an instaget for this group had me scratching my head, I am only vaguely aware of O'Keefe, and don't know what state she's associated with (but I'm sure she's in the "Art and Artists Pavlov" file on my computer as a New Mexican ... ) I put "Atlanta" for something to be put down.
Bamaman wrote:Loved the boardie shoutouts in anthems
There's another boardie into anthems? Cool! ;)

I was a bit upset at it though, not because of the clues (I thought they were a good level of difficulty for non-anthematologists, but an easy 5/5 for me ), but because a) Leigh's small bet ($500? You don't see that every day!) - if that was me, I'd say "I'll risk $10,000, please, Alex!" "But you only have $3,200." "I know. :)" and be intransigent in my demand. :) b) yet another anthem category played means less chance it will be on my show and c) it had a Daily Double in it! (see b))

Do I get bonus points for singing the relevant part of the anthem in the native language when they were showing the words on the screen? No? Just looks of derision and the occassional "Showoff!" from the peanut gallery? OK, then.

Congrats, Katie! You showed some real acumen playing, and that's what it takes to beat a good champ like Joon. To beat a Joon, you have to play like a Joon.

I'm wondering, since you were in Southern California, did you visit Disneyland while you were there? (I promised my kids that whenever I get The Call, we will go to Disneyland as part of my Jeopardy! experience. I hope that my kids won't be too old for it by then.)
Last edited by dhkendall on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Did you expect anyone but a female to beat Joon? :P

So fascinating how a giant killer always seems to be a woman... there's got to be something behind that. But Joon, what a run... it's not like this is goodbye, since we'll see you in a few weeks in the TOC. And Katie, my fellow North Carolinian... way to go! So proud that a giant killer comes from my home state. :D
Again.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3464
Suze wrote:Except the giant killer before this one was a man- Amit beat Justin. Congrats, Katie! :)
Also, Tim Kresowik beat Christopher Short.
Last edited by chuck5982 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

CONGRATULATIONS katie! you were fantastic. so good that i don't feel any kind of regret at playing pretty poorly in the early going of this game. nobody had ever given me a whipping on the buzzer before, but once you hit your stride in DJ, that was that. i'm glad i got to finish up reasonably strong and make the final score respectable, but getting comprehensively outplayed is a great way to go out. no what-ifs to lose sleep over.

1st century, unqualified, definitely means AD and i shouldn't have been prompted. i just plain botched that one.
MarkBarrett wrote:Joon: Did you make any kind of buzzer timing adjustment in the latter part of the DJ round? Your play to finish up Woods had me wondering if you tried to slow down a hair where Chris from your game one was never able to change his timing a tad.
no, i don't think i changed anything. maybe i should have? but whatever i'd been doing worked pretty darn well for 7.5 games, especially yesterday's game against ashley and michael. i don't think i was buzzing too early; that had never been a problem for me before. katie just entered The Zone and didn't come out until she had a huge lead. i don't really know how i got so many of the woods category. it could just be random—with two fast players, i don't think one can keep consistently beating the other. eventually it will regress towards 50/50.

so i guess there are other possible answers given the FJ category, but i "knew" it was going to be santa fe as soon as it was revealed. benton/jeff city is a nice find, though. i had been unable to come up with another artist so closely associated with one state.

dr oz was much, MUCH snappier than the Y&R circus. i had zero problems with that category (as a fan; of course, as a player, i made a ridiculously stupid neg on the $200 and then got beat to the $800 and ensuing DD by leigh).

finally, thanks to all here who have offered encouragement and congratulations to me during my run. it's been unreal. now let's make sure we do the same for katie—i don't know how she did in the games after this one, but i can't wait to find out.
Last edited by jpahk on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and one more thing ...

I did relatively well in the Disney songs category (although I also held back on a few, wondering if they wanted their full name or not), mainly due to a promotional VHS tape we have that shows some of the famous Disneyland attractions with their associated songs (I think we have it because one of my wife's favourite songs, "Zip-a-de-doo-dah" is on there (I once bought her a tape of Song of the South for her birthday for that song, that is actually a *lot* harder to do than you think!)), but I have a question on one:

Is "Haunted House" acceptable for "Haunted Mansion"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

dhkendall wrote:Is "Haunted House" acceptable for "Haunted Mansion"?
I would say no.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Congratulations on your remarkable run, Joon! See you in three weeks!

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds. We've had superb players this season. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one more player from this young season qualifies for the Tournament of Champions.
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

Way to go, Katie and Joon! Fun game.

Regarding the first DD clue:

"Kids will feel full & maintain energy if they eat 7 to 10 grams each morning of this part of a balanced diet; it doesn't have to be in cereal--1 pear alone has 5 grams."

I thought the answer of carbohydrates might merit a BMS (dietary fiber is comprised of a variety of carbohydrates), but maybe the fact that the question mentioned the number of grams makes Leigh's answer wrong outright.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and one more thing ...

I did relatively well in the Disney songs category (although I also held back on a few, wondering if they wanted their full name or not), mainly due to a promotional VHS tape we have that shows some of the famous Disneyland attractions with their associated songs (I think we have it because one of my wife's favourite songs, "Zip-a-de-doo-dah" is on there (I once bought her a tape of Song of the South for her birthday for that song, that is actually a *lot* harder to do than you think!)), but I have a question on one:

Is "Haunted House" acceptable for "Haunted Mansion"?
Absolutely not.
so i guess there are other possible answers given the FJ category, but i "knew" it was going to be santa fe as soon as it was revealed. benton/jeff city is a nice find, though. i had been unable to come up with another artist so closely associated with one state.
Yours truly is a Missourian. I have been to the Capitol many times; Benton's works are also on display at a restaurant back home in KC that my family and I used to frequent.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Bamaman wrote:I knew it was the first century BC, just thought he should have at least gotten a BMS on that one.
I thought so also, particularly since the other contestant was given a BMS when she said "Bell" for the cheese question.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I suspect Joon not getting a hold of any of the DD's helped Katie in this game too.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

I'm wondering, since you were in Southern California, did you visit Disneyland while you were there?
As much as I wanted to, we did not. My husband came along, and 1-day tickets for two people, plus the expense of getting there since we didn't rent a car, meant that Disneyland was not feasible. Maybe someday...

And yes, I fully agree that had Joon found any of the DDs, it's a different game altogether. Even last night I was frustrated for Leigh for not wagering more.

Fun side note: when I woke up at 4:30am due to jet lag, I decided to pick up the book I'd brought along to do some last minute studying. It was a book on art history, and the page I had bookmarked featured a painting by O'Keeffe.
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

earendel wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I knew it was the first century BC, just thought he should have at least gotten a BMS on that one.
I thought so also, particularly since the other contestant was given a BMS when she said "Bell" for the cheese question.
Alex did pause for a moment after Joon said first century. That should have been hint enough.

I think it's a well established convention in life that if you mean BC, you say BC.

If I was one of the contestants, I would have felt cheated out of a prime rebound opportunity had the initial response gotten a BMS. I was pretty surprised that neither Katie nor Leigh rang in on that, unless they were confused as to why Joon was negged.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I agree. Technically, here's no more reason to give a BMS on the 1st Century than, say, the 16th. Correct call by Trebek.