Thursday, October 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7139, 2015-10-01

Matt Jackson game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Ezgi Ustundag, a student from Durham, North Carolina
Greg Vinton, a ranch hand from North Platte, Nebraska
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 4-day cash winnings total $106,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. You know, one of the special moments each season on Jeopardy! is our Tournament of Champions. We're about 5 1/2 weeks away from that event, and we have a new feature on our Jeopardy! website which allows you to track the contestants who will appear in the Tournament of Champions. With four wins and $106,000, Matt Jackson is now on that list. So I suggest you go to jeopardy.com to see if some of your other favorites from the past year are there also. All right, Greg and Ezgi, good to have you with us. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. This is where you can make a lot of money quickly. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DICKENS BOOK BY CHARACTER (5/5)
SUPER BOWL MVP QBs (5/5) (Alex: Quarterbacks.)
FINANCIAL LITERACY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"EX"CELLENT! (4/5)
BLUE BIRDS (5/5)
OF HAPPINESS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Matt: 11 R, 1 W
Ezgi: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Matt had $1,800, Greg had $3,000, and Ezgi was at $800. Greg made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

FINANCIAL LITERACY $800: Often used in mutual funds, it's the strategy of investing broadly across a number of investments to reduce risk

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $7,000
Matt: $1,800
Ezgi: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Good news for Ezgi Ustundag. The judges have decided to accept your response of "realtor" a little while ago as good as "appraisal", so you're getting a little more money. Now, Ustundag. That's Turkish?

Ezgi: It is, yes. And is it true that you enjoy watching Turkish soap operas on television?

Ezgi: I do. I do.

Alex: Where do you watch them?

Ezgi: We used to get Turkish TV at my house. We had a satellite dish that actually got all the channels. But now we find them all on YouTube because they're really big in Latin America right now. They've actually taken over the spanish-soap-opera market, I think.

Alex: Really? Are they very much similar to what we have here in America?

Ezgi: Yeah, I mean, it's interesting, because here you see soaps mainly daytime, but there it's prime time, it's the main event. So they're very overblown. They're a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Greg Vinton is a ranch hand from North Platte, Nebraska. In western Nebraska, it's gonna start getting cold soon. How many winters have you experienced there, and how tough does it get?

Greg: Uh, I haven't experienced many myself. I've been in school too much. I come back, uh, when I can, especially in the springtime when we're branding, but the winters, in calving, when the new calves are born, I really haven't spent much time. I'd like to spend some more time doing that.

Alex: Yeah.

[Apparent edit, excising the remainder of Greg's interview]

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion. He's a paralegal from Washington, D.C. You studied philosophy in college, as I did, and a lot of people ask me, "Well, what good is philosophy?" You tell them. You give me your response.

Matt: Well, one thing it does help you do is it helps you confuse your friends.

[Laughter]

Matt: I actually was reading a French post-critical theorist named Jacques Rancière this past spring, and one of my friends mistook him for a professional wrestler. So...

Alex: Jacques Rancière, yes. I refer to him as "Jack".

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"EX"CELLENT! $1000: Someone who deliberately behaves in an extravagant way to attract attention

FINANCIAL LITERACY $400: Cash, investments & physical goods are all these, from the Latin for "enough"

OF HAPPINESS $1000: In 1997 this French-named cosmetics company introduced Happy, a fragrance for women
(Ezgi: What is Estée Lauder?)
(Matt: What is L'Oréal?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $8,800
Matt: $5,000
Ezgi: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS (5/5)
HISTORIC AMERICANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ASIAN MOUNTAINS (5/5)
THEORIES OF EVERYTHING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
20th CENTURY COMPOSERS (4/5)
TV SHOWS BY SIBLINGS (1/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Greg: 9 R, 0 W
Ezgi: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Matt had $13,400, Greg had $11,200, and Ezgi was at $2,400. Matt wagered $6,000.

HISTORIC AMERICANS $1600: (Hi. I'm Ken Burns.) My film about this man who inspired Robert Penn Warren's "All the King's Men" depicts his road to the White House cut short by an assassin in 1935

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Matt had $22,200, Greg had $11,200, and Ezgi was at $2,400. Matt wagered $6,000.

THEORIES OF EVERYTHING $2000: Bronsted & Lowry were red & blue in the face when Lewis disputed their theory about these 2 types of substances

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SHOWS BY SIBLINGS $2000: Prue, Piper & Phoebe Halliwell

TV SHOWS BY SIBLINGS $1600: Charlie, Bailey, Julia, & Claudia Salinger; not shown--Owen
(Alex: There it's a party of four.)

TV SHOWS BY SIBLINGS $1200: Helena & her many "Sestras", including Sarah

TV SHOWS BY SIBLINGS $800: Keith, Laurie, Danny, Christopher & Tracy
(Alex: That would be [*] with very little time left.)

20th CENTURY COMPOSERS $400: Yes, Sir! Among this British composer's awards & honors are 7 Tonys, 7 Oliviers & a life peerage
(Ezgi: Who is Britten?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $33,000
Greg: $17,200
Ezgi: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Matt: Wager $1,401 to cover Greg, but no more than $28,999 so as not to fall behind Ezgi's doubled score.
Greg: You have the hope of surpassing Matt if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $15,801 to force Matt to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $13,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Ezgi.
Ezgi: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
8-letter name shared by a tragic heroine & Uranus' innermost known moon

FINAL SCORES
Ezgi: $2,000 - $0 = $2,000 (What is Ophelia) (2nd place)
Greg: $17,200 - $15,801 = $1,399 (What is Titania) (3rd place)
Matt: $33,000 + $1,401 = $34,401 (What is Cordelia?) (106001-day champion: $34,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $24,600, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Greg: $15,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ezgi: $2,000, 6 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $41,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 27/60 = .450
Greg: 20/59 = .339
Ezgi: 6/58 = .103
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SUPER BOWL MVP QBs $600: (I'm Aaron Rodgers of the Green Bay Packers.) I'm one of the first 2 Packer QBs to be Super Bowl MVP; this 2-time winner who later coached the team is the other

FINANCIAL LITERACY $200: To set a fair valuation of a property for a transaction, turn to a certified residential this professional
(Ezgi: What is a realtor?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed after the first break.]

BLUE BIRDS $1000: The blue bird seen here is Steller's this, noted for its beautiful plumage & harsh call
(Alex: That's right with less than a minute to go.)

20th CENTURY COMPOSERS $1600: He composed "Peter and the Wolf" to demonstrate for children the instruments in an orchestra
(Ezgi: Who is Britten?)

THEORIES OF EVERYTHING $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a geological animation on the monitor.) Dynamo theory says that Earth's rotation causes liquid iron in the outer core to move in spiral currents, generating this gigantic field around the planet

GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS $1200: Around 1960, it was a state-of-the-art music system

GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS $400: It's a symbol of the all-american way of life

GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS $2000: A type of violent windstorm

GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS $1600: In song, she's asked, "What's that flower you have on?"

GREEK ALPHABET PUZZLERS $800: What baby needs, according to craps players

CORRECT RESPONSES
diversification
an exhibitionist
assets
Clinique
Huey Long
acids & bases
Charmed
Party of Five
Orphan Black
The Partridge Family
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Cordelia
Bart Starr
appraiser
a jay
Prokofiev
the magnetic field
Hi-Fi
apple pie
a cyclone
Delta Dawn
a new pair of shoes (new shoes accepted)

dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Greg Vinton you played the game I wish I had played. Well done, sir, regardless of outcome.

Oh, and sorry you got stuck in the middle podium. You're right; it might have been jinxed the week before our taping.

Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm

dlbookman wrote:Greg Vinton you played the game I wish I had played. Well done, sir, regardless of outcome.

Oh, and sorry you got stuck in the middle podium. You're right; it might have been jinxed the week before our taping.
Thanks a lot. If I had to lose in my first game, I'd rather go down at the hands someone who I am pretty sure will be remembered as an all time great. It stinks we couldn't have had a more realistic shot to come out on top, but at least we will be able to tell people we lost to Matt "Buzzsaw" Jackson, not some lucky fool who went on to lose his next game.

Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I feel like I should give an explanation for my crappy Final Jeopardy response. It was the one thing under my control (assuming buzzer races aren’t really something you can control) that I felt could have gone better. Obviously Titania doesn’t fit the clue for multiple reasons, and I knew it was clearly wrong even as I was writing it down. I just never came around to thinking of a better answer.

At any rate, when I saw it was a Shakespearian category for final I was disappointed. I don’t have much of a liberal arts background, so Shakespeare isn’t an inherent strength for me. Of course I did my due diligence familiarizing myself with the Bard in preparation for my appearance, so I thought I had a decent shot of coming up with a correct response. However, I also knew that Matt had shown tremendous strength in the “academic” categories, so my odds of winning, which almost certainly required getting it right while he got it wrong, were extremely slim.

During the commercial break they told us to write “What is” on the answer screen, not “Who is.” I thought this eliminated people as a possible response, so I started to precall places and things associated with Shakespeare (e.g. Elsinor, Globe Theater, etc.). For some reason my mind never registered the word “Character.” When I saw that the clue was asking for the name of a moon, but really required us to cycle through characters, I was momentarily taken aback.

As I previously stated, I don’t have much background with Shakespeare (or astronomy), so most of my knowledge in these areas is based on word association instead of any in-depth study. When I saw “moon of Uranus,” my Pavlovian response was “Titania and Oberon.” Those fairies started dancing around in my head and I couldn’t shoo them away in order to start cycling through tragic heroines. I finally thought that if I just wrote Titania down, it would help clear my head so I could start trying to come up with the right answer.

It sort of worked. I mentally eliminated Juliet, Ophelia, Desdemona, Cleopatra, and Calpurnia. As time expired, I started to get into the more obscure plays. If I had five more seconds, I would have crossed out Titania and written Cressida. As Alex started to talk, I was kicking myself because I was fairly certain this was the right answer.

For some reason King Lear never crossed my mind, even though it’s one of only two Shakespeare plays I have actually read.

Of course, Matt figured out the right answer, although he said it took him about 20 seconds. I am certainly grateful that he got it right. If he had left the door open and I had been unable to walk through, I don’t think I would have ever gotten over it. I’m having enough trouble moving on as it is.

A side note on wagering: I knew Matt would almost certainly wager to beat me by a dollar, which he did. I considered wagering 14,400 to maximize my score in the event of a miss and still beat him in the unlikely event that I got it right and he got it wrong. I also considered betting 15,200, guaranteeing myself second place if Ezgi missed. In hindsight I would have earned an extra thousand bucks if I had done either of those things, but I don’t regret wagering for the lead. I don’t think I could have forgiven myself if I had gotten it right and lost because Matt bet 0.
Last edited by Greg Vinton on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Good job by Greg for knowing he had to go all in on the first DD. Then he did not quit after Matt racked up $12,000 on the DJ round DDs. I could tell he looked a little deflated, but rallied to make FJ competitive. but it did not matter in the end as he missed FJ.

After yesterday, Matt surprised me a bit by going to the football category and then doing well in it.

I was lost on FJ, need a get tomorrow so I don't have to click the box of shame on Saturday.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:58 pm

What a game! Greg was amazing and put up a great fight. But Matt, once again, managed to make it a near no-contest after the DJ round. Best of luck to him tomorrow, as if he needs it. ;)

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Would they have accepted my answer of Playboy? I think I've seen that photo. :twisted:

Happy baby, where you draw your knees back to your chest, is a pose in this.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Saw Jon Lithgow do King Lear in Central Park last summer so it's one of the plays thats fresh in my mind. I ran through the three daughters out loud during the commercial break, so even though i didn't know the name of the moon, it was the only eight letter tragic female I could come up with.

Glad it wasn't a runaway for drama's sake, but when I saw the category was Shakespeare, I was pretty sure Matt would be continuing on.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Congrats to Matt on yet another excellent game and win. Greg put up a great challenge. I had 39 correct responses including three triple stumpers: appraiser, assets, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I got FJ with just a few seconds to spare.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:50 pm

GAH! J! is on at 3:30 here, so it got interrupted by a live news report of the Oregon shooting. I missed a full 10 minutes--the end of J and virtually all of DJ.

Greg, you played a great game. You were leading before news rudely interrupted. I don't know what happened to change that, but I can guess that it involves a DD or two falling into the wrong hands.

I'm looking forward to playing this one from the archives.

brick

Post by brick » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Wow! What a game!

Greg, my viewing party was thrilled that you prevented a runaway. That was a real nail biter and you played well. I don't disagree with you about FJ. I am not a Shakespeare scholar, but I feel pretty confident with Shakespeare. The duality of the clue, and the addition of the letter count left me stammering. And Lear is one of my favorite plays.

Congratulations on a strong game.

vicki

Post by vicki » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Greg, that was a great game! I agree that losing to Matt is going to be a badge of honor. I think we may need to get t-shirts (looking for buzz saw images now . . )

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Is Andrew Lloyd Webber still called sir? I thought he was a lord now, so the "yes sir" in that clue seemed misleading. Unless it was a reference to a song.

I'm just glad Cordelia isn't one of the 16 largest moons, so I only have to be the regular amount of embarrassed for missing it.

mahatma

Post by mahatma » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Bamaman wrote:After yesterday, Matt surprised me a bit by going to the football category and then doing well in it.
It looked to me like, as long as the clue mentioned the year/Roman numeral, he was instantly on it. When it didn't (eg Weeb Eubank/Broadway Joe), he CLAMmed. Kind of expected that.

Valiant effort out of the middle podium. People are throwing haymakers at Matt, but he's tough as nails.

Ryno

Post by Ryno » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Great game all-around. Greg did a great job just to prevent the lock from Matt.

Not much trash left, but I can thank the fact that I'm a big Neve Campbell fan that I got at least one.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Matt isn't invincible -- Greg proved that today -- but he pulled away today by hitting both Daily Doubled in the DJ! round without hunting them out. Matt hasn't been particularly aggressive in his board strategy; it's going to take a strong player who knows how to Forrest Bounce to beat him.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:11 pm

I go this FJ but only b/c it's a double-wheelhouse for me, astronomy and Shakespeare. Pretty well familiar with Uranus' moons and quickly produced Cordelia (8) then second guessing ?!Cressida?! (8) but went with the first inclination although these are both tiny inner orbital moons invisible except to Voyager spacecraft I was pretty sure innermost was sister to Regan & Goneril. Very tough.

If you didn't know the orbital order you were pretty much guessing between those two girls and possibly Rosalind, also a moon (8) but not perhaps such a 'heroine.' Tough call, real toughie. National quiz bowl league stuff and yes Matt the quizbowler pulled it out of the hat.

Banner day for goats 52R + FJ; LT: assets, appraiser, exhibitionist, Charmed; Party of Five; Partridge Family; Andrew Lloyd Weber.
I reckon I might have had a chance to unseat the champ. Maybe. Just possibly. Given geriatric buzzer speed and 8 trash; barely. :|
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

davey

Post by davey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Of course she's the "heroine" of Lear, but Cordelia doesn't loom large in the play after Lear banishes her in the opening scene. Both Regan and Goneril have more lines. At least, that's my excuse for never even thinking of her tonight.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:21 pm

goatman wrote:If you didn't know the orbital order you were pretty much guessing between those two girls and possibly Rosalind, also a moon (8) but not perhaps such a 'heroine.' Tough call, real toughie.
Rosalind is also not from a tragedy. Cressida is in the title of her play, true, and therefore arguably more prominent, but I think it is always safer to go from someone from the Big Four. (For Jeopardy! purposes it might be the Big Six - Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar would be in the mix as well. But Troilus and Cressida is a much lower tier in terms of fame.)