Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7140, 2015-10-02

Matt Jackson game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Lindsay Townes, a Ph.D. candidate in epidemiology from Detroit, Michigan
Tony Langford, a software engineer from Roswell, Georgia
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 5-day cash winnings total $140,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I got out quickly today. I'm eager to play this half-hour. If you're one of the Jeopardy! fans who enjoys watching our program and selecting a particular contestant to root for, I'm sorry to say your selections have been limited this week because of this 23-year-old champion, Matt Jackson, who has won $140,000. All right, Tony and Lindsay, you know what you have to do. Let's go to work. And now let's see what the categories are. First off, you get to deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WRITING FOR TELEVISION (4/5)
THAT'S HISTORY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOP 10 GLOBAL BRANDS (3/4) (Alex: ...according to the 2015 Brandz list.)
"HIP" WORDS (2/3)
ANIMALS IN KIDS' BOOKS (4/5)
NEW SPORTS TEAM NAMES? (2/3) (Alex: They all have a geographic and a non-geographic element to them.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Lindsay: 2 R, 0 W
Tony: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $5,000
Lindsay: $1,600
Tony: -$1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lindsay Townes is a Ph.D. student in epidemiology, and she's also a very brave young lady, because you did something that I would never do. You went on a different kind of canoe safari.

Lindsay: I did. I went to Liwonde National Park, which is the largest national park in Malawi, and a friend and I went on a canoe safari, which, uh, was a dugout canoe, about six inches above the water when we were all in it, and, uh, we, uh, approached some hippos. The guide decided that the hippos were too boring, so against our urging, he threw a rock at the hippos to get them to be a little bit more exciting.

Alex: You realize, of course, that hippos kill more tourists in Africa--

Lindsay: Yes.

Alex: --than any other animal?

Lindsay: Yes, we do realize that, um, which explained why the Dutch girls in the canoe behind us were... shrieking? Shrieking.

Alex: Okay, good word, shrieking.

Alex: Tony Langford, a software engineer from Roswell, Georgia, who once referred to himself as a band geek. Meaning what?

Tony: Well, that's a common term these days for someone who was in band in school. I was in marching band, symphonic band.

Alex: Ah.

Tony: I played saxophone, and so it was a lot of fun. I played from 7th grade to, um, uh, college.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. And, like so many Jeopardy! players, he is a collector. And he has followed in the footsteps of his mom.

Matt: Yes, so, my mother collects the playbill, the little handed-out from every show she's ever attended, and saves them all, and I picked up the same habit, as well.

Alex: Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Matt had $5,000, Tony was in the red with -$1,200, and Lindsay was at $1,600. Matt wagered $4,000.

THAT'S HISTORY $800: This 1790 act gave authors exclusive control of their works for 14 years; violators were fined 50 cents per page
(Alex: I have bad news for you, Matt. Usually when you hit a Daily Double, you risk $6,000. Now you have only $5,000. How are you gonna handle this crisis?)
(Matt: $4,000.)
[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TOP 10 GLOBAL BRANDS $1000: In 2015 this company, No. 7 on the list, put some of its $86 billion in value to work, buying AOL for $4.4 billion
(Tony: What is Time Warner?)

ANIMALS IN KIDS' BOOKS $1000: Zephir, Babar's friend

"HIP" WORDS $800: A 2-person cutting tool, or to cause rapid & confusing back-&-forth changes

NEW SPORTS TEAM NAMES? $800: On your feet when this team representing a state & named for a "quick quick, slow slow" dance takes the field
(Tony: Who are the Tennessee Waltz?)

THAT'S HISTORY $1000: The battle of this city raged from July 1942 to February 1943; when it was over, the German 6th Army was kaput

WRITING FOR TELEVISION $200: A 2015 Writers Guild Award went to Brian Kelley for "Brick Like Me", a Lego-themed episode of this series--excellent
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $11,400
Lindsay: $1,600
Tony: $0

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Matt Jackson has played superbly through six games. He came within a correct response or two yesterday of being the first champion ever to win his first six regular season games by runaway. There are others who I think match up favorably against him for the Tournament of Champions, but it would be tough to bet against Matt taking the $250,000 top prize at this point. I'm pulling for him to extend his winning streak at least another few games.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Alex was more annoying than his usual annoying self today. Shut up about how buddy likes to wager 6k.

Matt rules.

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

Only got to see Final Jeopardy! due to Obama preemption. Got it about 5 seconds in.

The wager by the second-place player is the worst of the season so far.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Notable American Women

U.N. Delegate was one role of this woman who wrote, "I could not… be contented to take my place in a warm corner by the fireside."
Spoiler
Who is Eleanor Roosevelt? Matt had "Who is Shirley Temple????"
Tony Langford: $3,200+$3,000=$6,200

Lindsay Townes: $6,400+$100=$6,500

Matt Jackson: $33,000-$7,000=$26,000; now a 6-day champion with $166,401
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Matt Jackson has played superbly through six games. He came within a correct response or two yesterday of being the first champion ever to win his first six regular season games by runaway. There are others who I think match up favorably against him for the Tournament of Champions, but it would be tough to bet against Matt taking the $250,000 top prize at this point. I'm pulling for him to extend his winning streak at least another few games.
I'd agree.

But his surprising FJ answer just gave me pause, lol.
Last edited by corvo on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT The Simpsons on TV for $200, or London at $400? Just "pick a random capital"?

All but $1,000 in the animals/kids' books category, as I've never read Babar. And still no Wainscott Weasel? Shame.

3/5 in Actors' Hit Songs, missing Swayze and Leto (somehow I recognize the name Thirty Seconds to Mars but not Jared Leto).

I'm sure you know what my SAotD was (Willie Nelson). Also got Reservoir.

Other than Willie, nothing sounded remotely familiar to me in Memoirs.

No guess on FJ! The "fireside" TOM flew miles over my head, but it was obvious in hindsight.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

OK, here's finally my chance to comment on a male contestant's wardrobe! :lol:

Someone really should have thrown Matt's shirt under an iron or at least in a dryer ... you could still see where it was folded in the packaging :p I'm guessing he didn't pack enough shirts for 5 shows (which would be surprising, dude with that much confidence has to show up thinking he's gonna be on that long~)

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I thought of Shirley Temple too for about .5 seconds, but then switched to Eleanor Roosevelt after seeing the rest of the clue.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Innermost moon of Uranus? No problem! Famous American woman with the word 'fireside' practically blinking like a neon light? Wah wah. Thankfully, he doesn't have to care until the TOC. Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Matt.

I thought that Sports Team Names category was the kind of crap the writers pulled late in the season when they're running low on ideas. It's freaking OCTOBER. I'm not amused.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leander

Post by Leander »

corvo wrote:
KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Matt Jackson has played superbly through six games. He came within a correct response or two yesterday of being the first champion ever to win his first six regular season games by runaway. There are others who I think match up favorably against him for the Tournament of Champions, but it would be tough to bet against Matt taking the $250,000 top prize at this point. I'm pulling for him to extend his winning streak at least another few games.
I'd agree.

But his shockingly bad FJ! answer just gave me pause, lol.
Why shockingly bad? I though Roosevelt obvious, but Shirley Temple Black was probably the second best answer.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Matt played another superb game; congratulations to him on another win. I had 35 correct responses including six triple stumpers: Verizon, whipsaw, expense, Leadville, reservoir, and Willie Nelson. Instaget FJ.

corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Leander wrote:
corvo wrote:
I'd agree.

But his shockingly bad FJ! answer just gave me pause, lol.
Why shockingly bad? I though Roosevelt obvious, but Shirley Temple Black was probably the second best answer.
I was a bit harsh, but with "fireside", he shouldn't have missed that.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

rjaguar3 wrote:The wager by the second-place player is the worst of the season so far.
3rd's wasn't any better.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

rjaguar3 wrote:Only got to see Final Jeopardy! due to Obama preemption. Got it about 5 seconds in.

The wager by the second-place player is the worst of the season so far.
Same here. A mass murder, even one on the other side of the country, I can understand. But some press conference where all he does is talk about the economy? Is that really worth breaking into afternoon programming for?

All I saw was FJ and it was an instaget to keep me from taking the collar this week. Alex's impersonation of her was a bit over the top.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

econgator wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:The wager by the second-place player is the worst of the season so far.
3rd's wasn't any better.
If second place wagers rationally, all wagers by third are equally ineffective. Should third wager everything in the hopes that second will make an irrational wager? Perhaps.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

rjaguar3 wrote:
econgator wrote:
3rd's wasn't any better.
If second place wagers rationally, all wagers by third are equally ineffective. Should third wager everything in the hopes that second will make an irrational wager? Perhaps.
You might as well. Second might forget the rule about a tie for second going to whoever led going into FJ and bet one dollar (at the least), so doubling up gives you the best opportunity to improve your situation.

Second did indeed seem to not realize a zero bet was the smart move, yet third did not take advantage. Although with both of them getting it right, it did not matter.

I wonder if Greg got this one and if he is ticked this wasn't his FJ.

brick

Post by brick »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
3/5 in Actors' Hit Songs, missing Swayze and Leto (somehow I recognize the name Thirty Seconds to Mars but not Jared Leto).

I got the first four and then I sat there stammering "Jordan Catalano"... Unhelpful.

My living room all but exploded over all the bad guesses for the Willie Nelson biography clue. And Alex SANG "On the Road Again"!

I notice Matt is letting Alex complete his little comments this game. I imagine someone said something to him. Why didn't they clear the first board? It felt like the game was moving quickly. I was surprised.

Astonished he missed that Final J with such an obvious TOM.

brick

Post by brick »

MitchO wrote:OK, here's finally my chance to comment on a male contestant's wardrobe! :lol:

Someone really should have thrown Matt's shirt under an iron or at least in a dryer ... you could still see where it was folded in the packaging :p I'm guessing he didn't pack enough shirts for 5 shows (which would be surprising, dude with that much confidence has to show up thinking he's gonna be on that long~)
Yeah... on the first shot of him I groaned.

OSXpert wrote:I thought of Shirley Temple too for about .5 seconds, but then switched to Eleanor Roosevelt after seeing the rest of the clue.

This, exactly.